Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 346947 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #4680 on: April 23, 2017, 06:28:33 pm »
New Dr Who....reportedly. Time Lord..or Time Lady.

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4681 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:37 pm »

Woah, I might even start watching it! ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4682 on: April 23, 2017, 06:43:46 pm »
Woah, I might even start watching it! ;D
Was my first thought. She's a talented, as you know...she'd bring an...interesting vibe to the role.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: April 23, 2017, 10:04:54 pm »
Frank Cottrell Boyce should be banned from Dr Who forever.
His two episodes have been unmitigated shite.

Bill is boss.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: April 23, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »

Just no.

David Thewlis please.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4685 on: April 23, 2017, 10:11:16 pm »
loved it.  FCB is the best writer on doctor who at the moment.  he's the only one who doesn't take it too seriously and accepts that it is, basically, a fairy tale.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4686 on: April 23, 2017, 10:50:50 pm »
Frank Cottrell Boyce should be banned from Dr Who forever.
His two episodes have been unmitigated shite.
loved it.  FCB is the best writer on doctor who at the moment.  he's the only one who doesn't take it too seriously and accepts that it is, basically, a fairy tale.

Definitely in agreement then.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4687 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:52 am »
Easy choice for me. If Doctor Who becomes a lady then it's dead.

If people want strong gender role models then write them and build the series. Making Doctor Who a woman is stupid and I'd be done watching it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4688 on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:34 am »

If people want strong gender role models then write them and build the series. Making Doctor Who a woman is stupid and I'd be done watching it.

Joanna Lumley says Hi!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:03 am »

I agree.  I don't care if it is inappropriate to say this but white males need their heroes and role models too. 

And before people point to the plethora of TV shows and movies that have white male leads, I don't watch a lot of TV or movies.  Maybe because he's British and the show is so old, but I pin a lot more on The Doctor than I do, say, Captain Rodgers or Tony Stark.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4690 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:56 am »
I'd rather a female Doctor than Kris Marshall.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4691 on: April 24, 2017, 11:34:25 am »
I'd rather a female Doctor than Kris Marshall.
+1

EDIT: I do think it'll tank though if they give him a sex change.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:38:33 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:35 am »

Totally agree with this, I'm out if it happens. If you want to make a female sci fi show then go do it, if its any good I'll watch it too. But you don't need to do it to doctor who just so we can pat each other on the back about how forward thinking we all are
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4693 on: April 26, 2017, 09:18:22 pm »
I don't think we should cast the doctor as a lady, but id give it a chance.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:34 pm »
Enjoyed this week's, I love when the Doctor has to face how dark and ruthless he can be.

Predicting it's The Master in the vault
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4695 on: April 29, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »
Enjoyed that.

I like Bill, the trailer made her look quite irritating but she's been good so far.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4696 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:40 am »
Wasn't a fan of that episode. Some nice idea's that were not quite pulled off, some nice ideas that did work and a lot of not much at all. So far Bill has been the highlight of the season and was the case here, very fresh angle on things, likeable, humour though the chemistry between her and doctor isn't always quite there yet, can feel a little forced on the Doctor's side.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4697 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:07 am »
Probably the worst episode I've seen of Doctor Who in a long, long time.

It's totally lost its way - probably with the big gaps and delays. Can see this getting mothballed again in a few years.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4698 on: May 3, 2017, 10:49:26 am »
Didn't think it was that bad, the focus of the first few episodes seems to be building that dynamic between Bill and The Doctor with the stories secondary.  The Master knocked 4 times before, didn't he?  Think it was 3 coming from behind the vault.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4699 on: May 4, 2017, 07:54:39 am »
Here come the drums 😁
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #4700 on: May 4, 2017, 09:09:14 am »
I agree.  I don't care if it is inappropriate to say this but white males need their heroes and role models too. 

And before people point to the plethora of TV shows and movies that have white male leads, I don't watch a lot of TV or movies.  Maybe because he's British and the show is so old, but I pin a lot more on The Doctor than I do, say, Captain Rodgers or Tony Stark.

I just saw this post and wanted to point out my problem with this mentality - it's absolutely fine to think the Doctor should be a male - he has been for over fifty years now, and I can see why changing something like that might be problematic for long time fans simply because of the mechanics of the ongoing story and such. However, I hate, hate, HATE the idea that white males NEED other white males as heroes and role models. That's absurd. I'm a non-white male - does that mean the Doctor couldn't ever be a role model for me since I'm not white? Of course not. I love the Doctor because I feel a connection with the character - his empathy and humanity and intelligence - not because of what he looks like. Those core values are things that won't change whether he's white, black, male or female. This idea that white males need white male role models is part of what perpetuates race/gender issues. I'm certainly not advocating that every piece of popular culture needs people of colour, females, LGBT characters, etc. as their main characters, but I do think that people who feel like the increasing trend towards incorporating more diversity is an attack on the things they love need to take a really hard look at themselves and ask themselves why this is the case. If the Doctor were to become female, does that mean Doctor Who is no longer an appropriate role model for males? Even if the core values that have been around for over half a century remain the same? I don't really see it that way.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4701 on: May 4, 2017, 12:47:19 pm »
I just saw this post and wanted to point out my problem with this mentality - it's absolutely fine to think the Doctor should be a male - he has been for over fifty years now, and I can see why changing something like that might be problematic for long time fans simply because of the mechanics of the ongoing story and such. However, I hate, hate, HATE the idea that white males NEED other white males as heroes and role models. That's absurd. I'm a non-white male - does that mean the Doctor couldn't ever be a role model for me since I'm not white? Of course not. I love the Doctor because I feel a connection with the character - his empathy and humanity and intelligence - not because of what he looks like. Those core values are things that won't change whether he's white, black, male or female. This idea that white males need white male role models is part of what perpetuates race/gender issues. I'm certainly not advocating that every piece of popular culture needs people of colour, females, LGBT characters, etc. as their main characters, but I do think that people who feel like the increasing trend towards incorporating more diversity is an attack on the things they love need to take a really hard look at themselves and ask themselves why this is the case. If the Doctor were to become female, does that mean Doctor Who is no longer an appropriate role model for males? Even if the core values that have been around for over half a century remain the same? I don't really see it that way.

The vast majority of people still see gender as a crucially defining element of their personality and there's nothing wrong with that so long as it comes with an understanding and acceptance of difference and diversity.
Hearing that message from an intelligent and sympathetic male character is, to me, a vital part of what Doctor Who has always been about. (I don't think he needs to be white, though. Different issues there.)
TV is dominated by drama that mostly appeals to a female audience. Doctor Who is an exception. I don't see why it has to change to fit the rest, that's never been its strength.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: May 4, 2017, 03:53:17 pm »
I just saw this post and wanted to point out my problem with this mentality - it's absolutely fine to think the Doctor should be a male - he has been for over fifty years now, and I can see why changing something like that might be problematic for long time fans simply because of the mechanics of the ongoing story and such.

However, I hate, hate, HATE the idea that white males NEED other white males as heroes and role models. That's absurd. I'm a non-white male - does that mean the Doctor couldn't ever be a role model for me since I'm not white? Of course not. I love the Doctor because I feel a connection with the character - his empathy and humanity and intelligence - not because of what he looks like.

Those core values are things that won't change whether he's white, black, male or female. This idea that white males need white male role models is part of what perpetuates race/gender issues. I'm certainly not advocating that every piece of popular culture needs people of colour, females, LGBT characters, etc. as their main characters, but I do think that people who feel like the increasing trend towards incorporating more diversity is an attack on the things they love need to take a really hard look at themselves and ask themselves why this is the case. If the Doctor were to become female, does that mean Doctor Who is no longer an appropriate role model for males? Even if the core values that have been around for over half a century remain the same? I don't really see it that way.

You have made the point most excellently; far better than me.  Somebody somewhere, in a fit of political correctness, might think changing the Doctor's gender and or skin colour will somehow make him more inclusive?  Encompassing?  Universal?  Appealing? 

He's a madman with a box, two hearts and a sonic screwdriver ffs.  The Doctor is interpreted through his companions.  Let THEM be diverse.

That said, I still believe that white males, and young white males, DO need good white role models, and I believe the Doctor is one of them and should be left well alone.  Yes, they need good FEMALE role models, and good ETHNIC role models.   But I think it's a good thing for boys to see such a positive role model that stands against an impression that being a white guy is only two steps away from being a Nigel Farrage or a Biffer. 

That doesn't mean The Doctor doesn't have universal appeal - of course not.  I'm not saying we need to use the Doctor's gender and ethnicity as a stick to beat minorities with.  But if admitting that I prefer my Doctor to be a white male makes me a racist misogynist then fine, I plead guilty.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 03:56:15 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4703 on: May 6, 2017, 11:59:44 pm »
Thought that one tonight was much better.

Bit creepy - little like Sapphire and Steel.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: May 7, 2017, 08:23:17 am »
I enjoyed the episode for what seems to be similar reasons to Andy. Nice bit of creepiness, made a good horror episode and enjoyed Suchet's performance

Offline inq80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4705 on: May 7, 2017, 09:40:01 pm »
I thought it was quite poor.

Very little substance from a very weak story. It was all surface and had high produce values (for doctor who anyway) - but the actual story? Poor.

They set the standard very high with "blink" - this doesn't come close
If the internet and 24 sports coverage existed in 1968/69, Shankly would have got the sack.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4706 on: May 8, 2017, 10:39:54 am »
Blink was far far better but that was one of the great episodes of modern Doctor Who and so didn't make the comparison. It had atmosphere for me, a bit of tension and I liked the ending idea even if it's execution was a little clumsy

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: May 8, 2017, 08:56:19 pm »
The magic reset irritated me. In Who people die and stay dead. There are consequences.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4708 on: May 9, 2017, 11:28:46 pm »
Especially after lasts week's lesson for Bill about making choices, people dying and moving on.
Thought that was the weakest of the series so far. Still want to know what's behind the door. Oh and it did occur to me that it must be really tough to come up with original and good ideas after so many episodes.
The magic reset irritated me. In Who people die and stay dead. There are consequences.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: May 14, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
Had something afterwards so couldn't quite sink in but found this weeks episode to be amusing, had good fun and I really am enjoying Billy's reactions to the events she is facing as a new assistant. Wasn't a fan of the episode characters but enjoyed the Dcotor's team and the humour between them

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4710 on: May 14, 2017, 12:29:47 pm »
My youngest was scared, "it's scarier than Walking Dead, dad". He is only 6.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4711 on: May 14, 2017, 04:05:19 pm »
great episode, perfectly timed savaging of profits over people to coincide with the labour manifesto. great  little commentary on perceived racism too.

what is going on with nardole? lots of subtext in that episode.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4712 on: May 14, 2017, 05:46:36 pm »
Why did Nardole need a helmet, isn't he an android or something?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4713 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »
Yeah, I was wondering that. Nardole is irritating now.

Why did Nardole need a helmet, isn't he an android or something?

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: May 20, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
Impressive, most impressive.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4715 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:31 pm »
Impressive, most impressive.

But all a bit Silence.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4716 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:46 am »
What an absolutely terrific episode. Loved it. Very intelligent, brilliantly acted, great story, fantastic twist.

Excellent. Really properly excellent.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4717 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:52 pm »
I just caught 5 minutes of this after the cup final.

It needs to be taken outside and put out of its misery. How has the production quality fallen compared to 10 years ago?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: May 27, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »
Well that was an incoherent, rambling mess of an episode. Logic plucked straight out of the writer's arse. Russell T Davies had his faults but at least his material was usually somewhat grounded in reality, and if not, didnt take itself too seriously.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:07 am »
Only been able to watch recent two episodes this weekend. Really enjoyed the first one, had really intresting themes, some really enjoyable humour, very good twist, Missy was well used. Second episode started well but felt it ran out of steam and didn't land it's twists