Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 346986 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #120 on: April 6, 2010, 02:36:20 pm »

How can you know this? Can you travel into the future?

I can. Next weeks isn't as good.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #121 on: April 6, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »
I'm a sci-fi gee... FAN, but Dr Who leaves me utterly cold. I simply don't see what the fuss is about?
 :-\
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: April 7, 2010, 04:22:15 pm »

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 7, 2010, 04:54:44 pm »
^That'd be a brilliant avatar.

Just finished watching it, some random thoughts.

I thought it was alright, usual intro stuff, although that scan of the past doctors then he steps into it, brilliant indeed. That bloke who was on the laptop looks like Captain Awesome off Chuck. I liked the monster, corner of your eye stuff, very different to the usual baddies we've had in previous seasons. Didn't like the wardens as much, just seemed a little OTT, I guess they like having some massive shite in the sky for their openings. Story overall was average I suppose.

I look forward to future stories which have Amy in various other kissogram outfits. The preview looked very promising at least. Some of the stuff in that had me fascinated, especially

Spoiler
The Dalek with the little Union Jack emblem! Space battle looked alright too.
[close]

Not sure how I feel about the opening tune either, it's a lot more subtle than the last, but rather retro as well. Probably take a bit of time to grow on me.

Also, she's been thinking about this bloke since she was 7. Golly gosh I wonder what's going to happen now.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2010, 04:58:27 pm by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 7, 2010, 05:33:03 pm »

Not sure how I feel about the opening tune either, it's a lot more subtle than the last, but rather retro as well. Probably take a bit of time to grow on me.

Yeah, I didn't like the opening music, I prefered it when they had the orchestra do it, that was brilliant. Not sure I like the new logo either but that doesn't really matter in terms of the show. Thought Matt Smith was great, loved David Tennant, and this guy seems very similar, even though he has a weird looking face.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 7, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »
Finally caught up with it now and I really liked it. I was very sceptical about Smith but I reckon he's nailed it already, he put in a great and likeable performance, it's like he's been playing the role for years. Smith seems like quite a talent, I was amazed how assured he was considering it was his debut, it took Tennant most of his first series to settle in the role. The montage of old Doctors bit was a great way to introduce him as a worthy successor.

A lot of it was aimed at kids (the food tasting bit) but in a good innocent, fun loving way which makes it feel like the older series' rather than RTD's slightly gloomy vision.

Also in the first five minutes Moffat has done more with the practicalities of the dimensions of the Tardis than RTD ever did. That would be such a great thing to explore but he never even touched upon it 5 series'. Was this episode a snub to RTD's reliance on the sonic screwdriver and the Tardis solving every problem he couldn't be bothered writing his way out of?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 7, 2010, 06:45:03 pm »
After watching the trailer, I gave this a swerve.  But after reading a lot of good reviews from the critics I gave it a go and actually really enjoyed the first one.  Thought they were really setting up for a younger (Kid) audience a la Sarah Jane but liked it a lot.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Plinkyplonk

• I orinar en las piscinas. HECHO!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cockles
    • Avon Brixham Liverpool Devon Paignton Torquay
« Reply #127 on: April 7, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »
I'm not too sure on her....
Theme tune is rubbish....
Matt rocks...

Bring on next week :D

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #128 on: April 8, 2010, 12:53:51 pm »
A female Dr Who is needed.
no coward soul is mine

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #129 on: April 8, 2010, 01:02:23 pm »
I liked it, but I did think that the food scene at the start was cringeworthy. Except for the brilliant 'you're Scottish, fry something' line ;D
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 8, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »
Are you serious?

I'm not sure a woman 'Doctor' would be able to pull off the same sort of know it all arrogance and eccentricity without appearing, well, annoying.

Offline Plinkyplonk

• Legacy Fan
  • Cockles
« Reply #131 on: April 8, 2010, 04:09:59 pm »
Sorry, but no..... there's just some jobs a woman can't and shouldn't be allowed to do :P

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 8, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
It's a poststructural dimension chaps and a sonic screwdriver with the female touch would be deadly, female daleks needed too  ;)
no coward soul is mine

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 8, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »
It's a poststructural dimension chaps and a sonic screwdriver with the female touch would be deadly, female daleks needed too  ;)
Daleks are gooey aliens, how could you make them female? Cyberwomen would be fine, I think that might work.

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 8, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
:wave
no coward soul is mine

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 8, 2010, 11:10:55 pm »
Hmm, not sure I'm convinced. You'll have to post more pics. :lickin

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #136 on: April 8, 2010, 11:15:06 pm »
Daleks are gooey aliens, how could you make them female? Cyberwomen would be fine, I think that might work.
Daleks are female, just fucking listen to them, the tone of voice! Instead of exterminate they might as well be saying what time do you call this? Are you listening to me? I'm on the blob get me a hot water bottle and some icecream or I will fucking exterminate you etc :P

Oh and cyberwoman has been done by torchwood.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 8, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »
Daleks are female, just fucking listen to them, the tone of voice! Instead of exterminate they might as well be saying what time do you call this? Are you listening to me? I'm on the blob get me a hot water bottle and some icecream or I will fucking exterminate you etc :P

Oh and cyberwoman has been done by torchwood.

;D

That's a decent cyberwoman, very nice outfit, cyber ladies are slutty.

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 8, 2010, 11:18:12 pm »

There speaks the mouth of experience ;D
no coward soul is mine

Offline Plinkyplonk

• Legacy Fan
  • Cockles
« Reply #139 on: April 8, 2010, 11:18:18 pm »
Bloody hell Mouth, ya just made me spill my drink from laughing so much :D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 8, 2010, 11:21:36 pm »

You wouldn't fancy one of them asking you, 'does this make me look fat?'. No win, that one.

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 8, 2010, 11:35:51 pm »
no coward soul is mine

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #142 on: April 9, 2010, 12:05:38 am »
What more proof do you need -

;)
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #143 on: April 9, 2010, 01:38:23 am »

Lol! Where the hell did you find that somewhat random picture?!
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 9, 2010, 02:05:35 am »
Lol! Where the hell did you find that somewhat random picture?!

search female dalek on google, first one to come up.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 9, 2010, 03:48:05 pm »
Free game coming soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100408_01/Doctor_Who_Adventure_Games_announced
Looks pretty good, surprised it's taken this long to make a game of it since it's always been popular.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #147 on: April 9, 2010, 08:13:33 pm »
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2010, 05:37:04 am »
I have high hopes for the Moffat era. I thank RTD for bringing Doctor Who back and returning it to its position as the flagship of BBC family entertainment, but if I ever see another slitheen or abzorbaloff again in my lifetime it'll be too soon. I think Moffat 'gets' it. Resurrected empty children wearing gas masks, shadows that kill, statues that move but only when you blink, stuff you can only see in your peripheral vision (A 'Someone-Else's-Problem' field ©Douglas Adams). Brilliantly creepy concepts born of the mundane. And in these days of BBC budget cutbacks, brilliantly efficient. Throw in a few thought-provoking time-space conundrums without using the phrase 'timey-wimey' (eg what would happen if one tardis materialized inside another? etc), NEVER use the sonic screwdriver to resolve an impossible situation UNLESS that situation involves a shitload of locks and it'll be pretty much perfect.

EDIT: Hmmm. Basically Jonathan Creek in space. I like that.

And if you're selling those Dalek women, I'll have the one in the middle ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:41:08 am by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50:32 am »
I have high hopes for the Moffat era. I thank RTD for bringing Doctor Who back and returning it to its position as the flagship of BBC family entertainment, but if I ever see another slitheen or abzorbaloff again in my lifetime it'll be too soon. I think Moffat 'gets' it. Resurrected empty children wearing gas masks, shadows that kill, statues that move but only when you blink, stuff you can only see in your peripheral vision (A 'Someone-Else's-Problem' field ©Douglas Adams). Brilliantly creepy concepts born of the mundane. And in these days of BBC budget cutbacks, brilliantly efficient. Throw in a few thought-provoking time-space conundrums without using the phrase 'timey-wimey' (eg what would happen if one tardis materialized inside another? etc), NEVER use the sonic screwdriver to resolve an impossible situation UNLESS that situation involves a shitload of locks and it'll be pretty much perfect.

I doubt Moffat is a bottomless pit of great ideas, but I'm sure he must have quite a few left!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2010, 09:16:18 am »

Good post apart from the above - I watched the Creek Easter Special and they appear to have lost their paddle, it was fucking terrible. :wave

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2010, 09:59:42 am »
Tonight's episode is another penned by Moffat. He's also written 4+5 and 12+13.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2010, 10:48:07 am »
Good post apart from the above - I watched the Creek Easter Special and they appear to have lost their paddle, it was fucking terrible. :wave

Agree, I was quite disappointed. Luckily the new Doctor was good enough to cover the disappointment of the dire JC story!

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2010, 11:18:38 am »
Tonight's episode is another penned by Moffat. He's also written 4+5 and 12+13.

Any idea who's writing the others?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:08 am »
Returning writers are:

Mark Gatiss who wrote the Charles Dickens episode (Eccleston) and the Queens coronation faces-sucked-into-tvs episode.

Toby Whithouse who did the Sarah Jane/K9 comeback episode.

Chris Chibnall who wrote "42" the spaceship crashing into the sun, baddies with welding masks Martha/Tennant episode.

Gareth Roberts who wrote the Shakespeare episode, the giant wasp episode, and last years Planet of the Dead special with the girl who used to be on Eastenders.

New writers are:

Simon Nye (wrote Men Behaving Badly) and Richard Curtis (Blackadder/Mr Bean, 4 Weddings/Notting Hill etc)

Rest all done by Moffat.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »

In fairness, the Abzorbaloff was designed by a nine year old. So it's as much Blue Peter's fault as it is RTD's.

Agree with that. Like the previous special, they seemed to decide to just leave half the plot without a proper conclusion.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »
Returning writers are:

Mark Gatiss who wrote the Charles Dickens episode (Eccleston) and the Queens coronation faces-sucked-into-tvs episode.

Chris Chibnall who wrote "42" the spaceship crashing into the sun, baddies with welding masks Martha/Tennant episode.

Gareth Roberts who wrote the Shakespeare episode, the giant wasp episode, and last years Planet of the Dead special with the girl who used to be on Eastenders.

New writers are:

Simon Nye (wrote Men Behaving Badly) and Richard Curtis (Blackadder/Mr Bean, 4 Weddings/Notting Hill etc)

Rest all done by Moffat.

Wow , we could be in for some fantastic episodes.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:34 pm »
Returning writers are:

New writers are:

Rest all done by Moffat.
Surprised at Curtis, a comedy writer, should be good though. And is that Gatiss of League of Gentlemen fame? If so, I think that will be amazing.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2010, 03:52:01 pm »
Surprised at Curtis, a comedy writer, should be good though. And is that Gatiss of League of Gentlemen fame? If so, I think that will be amazing.

Yeah, it's that Gatiss.

Apparently Neil Gaiman is writing an episode for the next series (i.e. in 2011).

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
its sad that i'm looking forward to tonights dr who more than i am going out for a drink.