Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 63151 times)

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bob Dylan - Any fans in?
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2008, 01:17:00 am »
Lovely version of George Harrison's 'Something'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHq_8X3BOXs&feature=related

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »
Zimmie, what are your thoughts on Love and Theft? I have Time out of Mind and Modern Times and love them both.
Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

Bob Dylan

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2008, 05:48:29 am »
Zimmie, what are your thoughts on Love and Theft? I have Time out of Mind and Modern Times and love them both.

Love and Theft is a fantastic album, though I don't really see it as having much in common with Time Out of Mind. It's much closer to Modern Times lyrically and musically, though better than Modern Times in my opinion. It seems to me that Bob re-found his love of lyrical word play on Love and Theft. Lyrically very loose and free and humourous. It's probably an antithesis to Time Out of Mind for the most part really, which was a dark and broody album. This is very free and Bob obviously had a great time enjoying it, and t was probably one that came as natural to him as Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde, seems like an album of songs he wrote and performed without effort. Very rich sound, though his voice is a little shot at times, he adapts it and the end product is fantastic. Stylistically broad too, there's elements of blues, jazz and even a little touch of Bob crooning. Loved it, one of my favourite Dylan albums.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2008, 10:08:09 am »
Love and Theft is a fantastic album, though I don't really see it as having much in common with Time Out of Mind. It's much closer to Modern Times lyrically and musically, though better than Modern Times in my opinion. It seems to me that Bob re-found his love of lyrical word play on Love and Theft. Lyrically very loose and free and humourous. It's probably an antithesis to Time Out of Mind for the most part really, which was a dark and broody album. This is very free and Bob obviously had a great time enjoying it, and t was probably one that came as natural to him as Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde, seems like an album of songs he wrote and performed without effort. Very rich sound, though his voice is a little shot at times, he adapts it and the end product is fantastic. Stylistically broad too, there's elements of blues, jazz and even a little touch of Bob crooning. Loved it, one of my favourite Dylan albums.

Cheers mate. I want to carry on with my Bob collection, but don't know what next. I saw the bootleg series 1-3 yesterday, albeit at a high price. I was tempted.
Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

Bob Dylan

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2008, 09:35:37 pm »
Cheers mate. I want to carry on with my Bob collection, but don't know what next. I saw the bootleg series 1-3 yesterday, albeit at a high price. I was tempted.

Where are you up to now, what albums have you got thus far?

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2008, 12:46:37 am »
Bob Dylan artwork to go on show

An exhibition showing singer-songwriter Bob Dylan's artistic talent will open in London in June.

The show will feature drawings and sketches from Dylan's time on the road between 1989 and 1992.

Dylan fans will also be able to see a number of paintings in the exhibition called The Drawn Blank Series at the Halcyon Gallery in Mayfair.

The gallery said the art expressed a sense of loneliness and displacement as Dylan constantly moved about.

"Feelings of anonymity, transience, rootlessness and sometimes loneliness pervade these representations of the people, objects and places that Dylan has seen and drawn," added the gallery.

Its president Paul Green said: "This is an incredible opportunity for viewing this powerful body of work which gives an insight into the artist's soul and which have already been the subject of widespread critical acclaim."

The first exhibition of Dylan's work opened in the eastern German city of Chemnitz last year.

It came about after the 66-year-old musician was approached by Ingrid Moessinger, a curator of the Kunstsammlungen Chemnitz museum.

Dylan said at the time "I was fascinated to learn of Ingrid's interest in my work, and it gave me the impetus to realise the vision I had for these drawings many years ago.

"If not for this interest, I don't know if I even would have revisited them."

The London show will open on 14 June and a collection of limited edition graphics, signed by Dylan will also be available through selected UK galleries.

Dylan is one of the world's most acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers.

He has sold more than 110 million albums and performed thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades.

His most recent album Modern Times entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at number one, and debuted in the top five in 21 other countries.

In April, Dylan was awarded a special Pulitzer Prize for "his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power".

In 2001, he won a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for best song from a motion picture for Things Have Changed from Wonder Boys.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame in 1982.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7393745.stm

Think I'll be in London towards the end of June so will probably go and have a look at this.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:23 pm »
Don't know what its about but there is something on BBC4 at 10pm (repeated at 1:40am) called Bob Dylan's Indian Birthday

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2008, 12:31:34 am »
Happy Birthday Mr. Bob :wave

Offline El Genio

• Drops more than books in the bed. Voted RAWKite with the stickiest trousers 2009-10
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #208 on: July 3, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/whatssogreatabout/pip/o1iaq/

Not sure I can cope with listening to Lenny Henry's opinions on my music God :(

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #209 on: July 4, 2008, 05:03:56 am »

Shit Rhaegar, look on amazon.com for the bootleg series 1-3 I think its pretty cheap on there. I would say pick that up without a doubt. Its full of unreleased and different version of many songs. Disk 2 is fuckin brilliant.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2008, 02:44:18 am »
Anyone got the '65 Revisited' DVD by DA Pennebaker? Not seen it, but there's a lot of it on you tube, outtakes and such from Don't Look Back. Looks worthy of a viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JGu2iUAZ8&feature=related

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2008, 04:08:21 am »
Have many of you folks seen him live recently?
I haven't yet had the pleasure but from the footage
I've seen he still sounds great.

I saw Dylan last year. I think the thing is that you get the Dylan of today, not 60s Dylan or Classic Hits Dylan. That means the 60s/70s classics are heavily rearranged (he obviously got bored of the original arrangements ages ago) and to my ear, poor cousins of the originals.

On the other hand, his recent stuff stands up pretty well and for me sounded the best in concert, particularly the Love and Theft songs, which I rate as his strongest album since the Blood on the Tracks.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 9, 2008, 05:24:39 am »
The next installment of The Bootleg Series will be out in October;

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/07/29/bob-dylans-eighth-bootleg-series-release-tell-tale-signs-due-in-october/

Bob Dylan will release the eighth installment of his Bootleg Series on October 7th. Tell Tale Signs features unreleased recordings and alternate versions of studio sessions from the last two decades, sessions that ultimately resulted in albums like
Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft and Modern Times. The two-disc set will also feature rare live performances.

For a limited time, Bob Dylan’s refurbished Website is offering a free download of “Dreamin’ of You,” culled from Dylan’s 1997 Daniel Lanois-produced Time Out of Mind sessions. Tell Tale Signs will be available as both a two-CD and a four-LP vinyl set, with both versions featuring 27 songs and a 60-page booklet. For the Dylaniacs, there’s the Exclusive Deluxe Edition, which includes the two discs plus a third containing 13 more rare songs, a 150-page photo book of Dylan’s singles from around the world and a 7′’ vinyl single. The first 5,000 to preorder get a bonus poster for Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour. For the entire track list, click after the jump.

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs - The Bootleg Series Vol. 8

Disc One

“Mississippi” - (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind)
“Most of the Time” - (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
“Dignity” - (Piano demo, Oh Mercy)
“Someday Baby” - (Alternate version, Modern Times)
“Red River Shore” - (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind)
“Tell ‘Ole Bill” - (Alternate version, North Country Soundtrack)
“Born in Time” - (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
“Can’t Wait” - (Alternate version, Time Out Of Mind)
“Everything is Broken” - (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
“Dreamin’ of You” - (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind)
“Huck’s Tune” - (Lucky You soundtrack)
“Marching to the City” - (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind)
“High Water (For Charley Patton)” - (Live, Niagara, 2003)

Disc Two

“Mississippi” - (Unreleased version #2, Time Out Of Mind)
“32-20 Blues” - (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)
“Series of Dreams” - (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
“God Knows” - (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
“Can’t Escape From You” - (Unreleased, December 2005)
“Dignity” - (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
“Ring Them Bells” - (Live at the Supper Club, 1993)
“Cocaine Blues” - (Live, Vienna, Virginia, 1997)
“Ain’t Talkin’” - (Alternate version, Modern Times)
“The Girl On The Greenbriar Shore” - (Live, 1992)
“Lonesome Day Blues” - (Live, Sunrise, Florida, 2002)
“Miss the Mississippi” - (Unreleased, 1992)
“The Lonesome River” - (Clinch Mountain Country)
“‘Cross The Green Mountain” - (Gods And Generals Soundtrack)

Disc Three (Deluxe Set Only)

“Duncan And Brady” - (Unreleased, 1992)
“Cold Irons Bound” - (Live, Bonnaroo, June 2004)
“Mississippi” - (Unreleased version #3, Time Out Of Mind)
“Most Of The Time” - (Alternate version #2, Oh Mercy)
“Ring Them Bells” - (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
“Things Have Changed” - (Live, Portland, Oregon, 2000)
“Red River Shore” - (Unreleased version #2, Time Out Of Mind)
“Born In Time” - (Unreleased version #2, Oh Mercy)
“Tryin’ To Get To Heaven” - (Live, London, England, 2000)
“Marchin’ To The City” - (Unreleased version #2, Time Out Of Mind)
“Can’t Wait” - (Alternate version #2, Time Out Of Mind)
“Mary And The Soldier” - (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMOjAbQ4c&feature=related

Dylan's Dreamin' of You, an early version of Standing in the Doorway from Time Out of Mind

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #213 on: August 9, 2008, 09:18:17 am »
"Dreamin' of You" isn't bad at all

here's my page on new site: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/users/radiofc
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:02 pm »
"Dreamin' of You" isn't bad at all

here's my page on new site: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/users/radiofc

It's very good, though you can see why it was left off the album, not really in keeping with the mood of TOOM

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
Love Bob Dylan, which makes me rather an anomoly amongst my friends, most of whom have never heard of him
surely they've heard of him but perhaps they only know his famous songs and dismiss him without giving him proper consideration...
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline stevie h g

• Kopite
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2008, 03:42:25 pm »
Love him.Haven't heard too much of the newer stuff though, after reading the previous posts I'm off to Limewire right now.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
For any Bobness fans who might just have missed it.

There's an album called Lo and Behold. It's 36 years old but not long been re-released on CD. It's all original Dylan songs many from the Basement Tapes. It's by four fine British exponents of that material - McGuinnes, Flint, Coulson and Dean.

I can't begin to tell you how good it is. The four virtual unknowns  have somehow managed to produce one of the finest albums I've ever heard and yet it's remained submerged all these years. I can't believe I missed it first time round but it's such a genuine delight to have now discovered such a sparkling gem.

Every track knocks spots off Dylan and The Band's originals except for Odds and Ends - which is still good. Lay Down Your Weary Tune and Let Me Die in My Footsteps are simply unbelievable tracks. But every track is a stonewall classic and just shows that as a songwriter nobody can really touch Dylan when you think most people won't have even heard any of these amazing songs and yet they can be gathered on one album as sublime as this.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:22:02 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #218 on: December 8, 2008, 10:01:14 am »
got a ticket for the Dublin show this morning - nice to see he's not charging absolute rip off prices unlike some other acts these days

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #219 on: December 8, 2008, 10:48:04 am »
got a ticket for the Dublin show this morning - nice to see he's not charging absolute rip off prices unlike some other acts these days

are they €49..did i hear right?

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #220 on: December 8, 2008, 12:39:05 pm »
Just got a ticket to see him at the Echo Arena on 1st May next year - £42.00.

can't wait as I've never seen him live

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 9, 2008, 12:32:51 am »

can't wait as I've never seen him live

Fantastic mate.

I've got to see him live before he plays for the last time.

Hopefully that won't happen for a long, long while.

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #222 on: December 9, 2008, 12:34:52 am »
saw him last year here in the states. It was a blast. His voice goes in and out but the variations on his songs are tremendous.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #223 on: December 9, 2008, 07:43:31 am »
saw him last year here in the states. It was a blast. His voice goes in and out but the variations on his songs are tremendous.

I've got loads of bootlegs of his shows, so I know what to expect, but to see him in the flesh will be a great experience - I mean, its Bob Dylan !!!

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #224 on: December 9, 2008, 11:39:52 pm »
are they €49..did i hear right?

yeah - worked out around 56 I think including charges but compared to some others like Clapton and Young that is very fair

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2008, 01:58:07 am »

Me too! Made up :)

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:57 am »
Am starting to think "Don't think twice it's alright" from No Direction Home is the perfect Dylan song. Surrounded as it is by other great songs like "When the Ship Comes In", "Desolation Row", and "Chimes of Freedom", it still stands out as having a little something extra. Really powerful, poetic song.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »
Am starting to think "Don't think twice it's alright" from No Direction Home is the perfect Dylan song. Surrounded as it is by other great songs like "When the Ship Comes In", "Desolation Row", and "Chimes of Freedom", it still stands out as having a little something extra. Really powerful, poetic song.

If you're talking powerful poetry, I'd say "The Times They Are A-Changing", "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" and "It's All Right Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" take some beating.  "Gates of Eden" gets honorable mention too.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2008, 02:17:57 pm »
Idiot Wind is possibly the best song for when a stupid bitch has done your swede in.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2008, 03:03:28 pm »
Idiot Wind is possibly the best song for when a stupid bitch has done your swede in.

Yeah - some pure vitriol in that song!

Someones got it in for me, theyre planting stories in the press
Whoever it is I wish theyd cut it out but when they will I can only guess.
They say I shot a man named gray and took his wife to italy,
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me.
I cant help it if Im lucky.

People see me all the time and they just cant remember how to act
Their minds are filled with big ideas, images and distorted facts.
Even you, yesterday you had to ask me where it was at,
I couldnt believe after all these years, you didnt know me better than that
Sweet lady.

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth,
Blowing down the backroads headin south.
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,
Youre an idiot, babe.
Its a wonder that you still know how to breathe.

I ran into the fortune-teller, who said beware of lightning that might strike
I havent known peace and quiet for so long I cant remember what its like.
Theres a lone soldier on the cross, smoke pourin out of a boxcar door,
You didnt know it, you didnt think it could be done, in the final end he won the wars
After losin every battle.

I woke up on the roadside, daydreamin bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are makin me see stars.
You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies.
One day youll be in the ditch, flies buzzin around your eyes,
Blood on your saddle.

Idiot wind, blowing through the flowers on your tomb,
Blowing through the curtains in your room.
Youre an idiot, babe.

It was gravity which pulled us down and destiny which broke us apart
You tamed the lion in my cage but it just wasnt enough to change my heart.
Now everythings a little upside down, as a matter of fact the wheels have stopped,
Whats good is bad, whats bad is good, youll find out when you reach the top
Youre on the bottom.

I noticed at the ceremony, your corrupt ways had finally made you blind
I cant remember your face anymore, your mouth has changed, your eyes
Dont look into mine.
The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone-faced while the building
Burned.
I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees, while the springtime
Turned slowly into autumn.

Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull,
From the grand coulee dam to the capitol.
Youre an idiot, babe.

I cant feel you anymore, I cant even touch the books youve read
Every time I crawl past your door, I been wishin I was somebody else instead.
Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstasy,
I followed you beneath the stars, hounded by your memory
And all your ragin glory.

I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now Im finally free,
I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me.
Youll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above,
And Ill never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love,
And it makes me feel so sorry.

Idiot wind, blowing through the buttons of our coats,
Blowing through the letters that we wrote.
Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves,
Were idiots, babe.
Its a wonder we can even feed ourselves.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2008, 03:53:01 am »
Just been wondering - Is there a better example of poetic music than the last 4 tracks on Bringing It All Back Home?

Mr. Tambourine Man
Gates of Eden
It's All Right, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Amazing.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2008, 11:33:44 am »
Just getting back into him after a short break. Got a awesome boxset. 

So many great tracks and album - Tangled Up Blues is genius as is Tonight, I'll Be Staying With You

No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2009, 12:35:50 am »
Any excuse to bump this thread.  :D

William Zantzinger, convicted of killing Hattie Carroll and denounced in Bob Dylan song, dies at 69

By Adam Bernstein
January 10, 2009

On Feb. 8, 1963, a young, socially prominent tobacco farmer from southern Maryland named William Devereux Zantzinger was drunk at a charity ball at Baltimore's old Emerson Hotel. Carrying a cheap toy cane and dressed in a top hat at the Spinsters Ball, he began the evening in a spirit of jest by imitating Fred Astaire.

As he continued to drink throughout the night, Zantzinger, who was a husky 6 feet 1, became more threatening in his demeanor. He assaulted a bellhop with his cane and, according to news accounts at the time, shouted at a waitress, "Hey, black girl, bring me a drink." He fell down on his wife while dancing with her. Then he went back to the bar and demanded a drink from Hattie Carroll, a 51-year-old black barmaid with 11 children and a history of heart problems. "Just a minute, sir," she said, which angered Zantzinger. It was not how the white man was used to being treated on his 630-acre farm.

He thrust a racial profanity at Carroll and struck her with his cane. She served him his bourbon and then stepped away. Hours later, she collapsed and died of a stroke, and William Devereux Zantzinger, at 24, was charged with homicide. Because of several inconclusive factors, including Carroll's already poor health, the charge was reduced to manslaughter.

The court case of Zantzinger, who died Jan. 3 at 69, received national attention at a volatile moment in the civil rights movement. Bob Dylan immortalized Zantzinger and Carroll in a protest song about race and class, “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll,” which appeared on the folk singer's 1964 album "The Times They Are A-Changin'." “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll,”

Time magazine called Zantzinger a "rural aristocrat," because he was the son of a politically connected real estate developer in Washington, D.C. Following graduation from the Sidwell Friends School in 1957, Zantzinger married and settled into the family's colonnaded mansion while overseeing its tobacco operation on a farm called West Hatton.

Zantzinger was freed during sentencing for the manslaughter conviction to finish harvesting of his tobacco crop. He served six months in jail and was fined $625.

After his imprisonment, Zantzinger returned to Charles County, Md., and lived quietly. He and his first wife, Jane, had three children before divorcing. He married again, to a woman named Suzanne.

He operated a nightclub for a while in La Plata, Md., dabbled in antiques and went into real estate. He was known as a charitable giver to his church and held annual pig-and-oyster roasts. He belonged to a country club and the local chamber of commerce and was seen by many of his friends as a local character.

Outside his circle of friends, Zantzinger did not like to draw attention. But he did in 1991 when he was indicted for collecting more than $64,000 in rent on properties he had not owned for more than five years. He lost the homes, described as rural shacks in the county's Patuxent Woods subdivision, because of failure to pay taxes.

Nevertheless, Zantzinger continued to collect rent -- suing some when they did not pay and evicting others. He also raised the rent on the properties. The homes were located off a dirt road and lacked indoor plumbing.

In November 1991, Zantzinger pleaded guilty to 50 misdemeanor counts of unfair and deceptive trade practices.

He was sentenced to 18 months in the county jail and fined $50,000. The judge also sentenced Zantzinger to 2,400 hours of community service and directed him to help groups that advocate low-cost housing.

"I never intended to hurt anyone, ever, ever. It's not my nature," Zantzinger said at his sentencing. "I got into this hole, dug it. It was my mistake. It got deeper and deeper. I've learned my lesson, believe me."

Zantzinger stayed away from the media after being stung during the 1963 trial for his remarks about segregation. "Hell, you wouldn't want to go to school with Negroes any more than you would with French people," he had said.

He spent his later years working in relative quiet as a foreclosure auctioneer. A spokeswoman for the Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home in Charlotte Hall, Md., confirmed Zantzinger's death but provided no further details, at the family's request. A woman answering the phone at the family's home in Chaptico, Md., declined to comment.

Perhaps predictably, Zantzinger was no fan of the Dylan song or its composer, whom he called a "no-account" who had distorted the facts of the original case. He told Dylan biographer Howard Sounes, "I should have sued him and put him in jail."

Bernstein writes for the Washington Post.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-zantzinger10-2009jan10,0,7023960.story

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:33 am »
I think Dylan used a fair bit of 'creative licence' in that song.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2009, 01:56:01 am »
I think Dylan used a fair bit of 'creative licence' in that song.

Yeah, but it's hard to feel sorry for scum like Zantzinger.

Great name though.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2009, 04:24:42 am »
Yeah, but it's hard to feel sorry for scum like Zantzinger.

Great name though.

Fantastic name.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2009, 05:32:39 pm »
And she never done nothing to William Zanzinger.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 4, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »
New studio album out at the end of April ...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/26445175/dylan_records_surprise_modern_times_followup

Dylan Records Surprise 'Modern Times' Follow-up

Dark new disc with a bluesy border-town feel arrives in April

DAVID FRICKE Posted Mar 04, 2009 8:45 AM

I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver/And I'm reading James Joyce/Some people tell me I got the blood of the land in my voice," Bob Dylan sings in a leathery growl, capturing the essence of his forthcoming studio album — raw-country love songs, sly wordplay and the wounded state of the nation — in "I Feel a Change Coming On," one of the record's 10 new originals.

Set for late April, the as-yet-untitled album arrives a few months after Dylan's outtakes collection Tell Tale Signs, and it "came as a surprise," says a source close to Dylan's camp. Last year, filmmaker Olivier Dahan, who directed the 2007 Edith Piaf biopic, La Vie en Rose, approached Dylan about writing a song for his next feature. Dylan responded with "Life Is Hard," a bleak ballad with mandolin, pedal steel and him singing in a dark, clear voice, "The evening winds are still/I've lost the way and will." (The song appears in the film My Own Love Song, starring Renée Zellweger.)

Inspired, Dylan kept writing and recording songs with his road band and guests, with Los Lobos' David Hidalgo rumored on accordion. Dylan produced the album under his usual pseudonym, Jack Frost.

The disc has the live-in-the-studio feel of Dylan's last two studio records, 2001's Love and Theft and 2006's Modern Times, but with a seductive border-cafe feel (courtesy of the accordion on every track) and an emphasis on struggling-love songs. The effect — in the opening shuffle, "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'," the Texas-dancehall jump of "If You Ever Go to Houston" and the waltz "This Dream of You" — is a gnarly turn on early-1970s records like New Morning and Planet Waves.

Dylan makes references to the national chaos, as on the viciously funny slow blues "My Wife's Home Town" ("State gone broke, the county's dry/Don't be lookin' at me with that evil eye"), culminating in the deceptive rolling rock of "It's All Good." Against East L.A. accordion and a snake's nest of guitars, Dylan tells you how bad things are — "Brick by brick, they tear you down/A teacup of water is enough to drown" — then ices each verse with the title line, a pithy shot of sneering irony and calming promise. "You would never expect the record after Modern Times to sound like this," the source says. "Bob takes all of those disparate elements you hear and puts them into a track. But you can't put your finger on it — 'It sounds exactly like that.' That's why he's so original."

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 4, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »
Get in.

I was expecting Modern Times to be the last one, yet he still doesn't look like stopping anytime soon.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: March 4, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »
I'm going to see him in Liverpool in May, wonder if he'll play any of the new material there