Author Topic: AFL thread: games, results, discussion  (Read 443240 times)

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
Re: AFL Season 2006 - games, results and discussion
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2006, 03:54:22 am »
Week 2 Semi Finals results:

Fremantle 14.18 (102) defeated Melbourne 11.8 (74)

West Coast 16.17 (113) defeated Western Bulldogs 5.9. (39)

next's weeks Preliminary Finals are:

Sydney v Fremantle (Telstra Stadium, Sydney)

Adelaide v West Coast (AAMI Stadium, Adelaide)

Latest odds for the winner of the Grand Final:

Sydney $2.75
     West Coast $2.75
     Adelaide $4
     Fremantle $6
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2006, 11:43:44 am »
We've got to do it the hard way and I would definately say going through Adelaide in Adelaide is the hard way!

I still fancy the Swans even though Stadium Australia is closer to the dimensions of Subiaco than the SCG.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2006, 01:17:52 am »
Good article on the Adelaide - West Coast game in today's Melbourne Age:

Eagles holding all the cards

Rohan Connolly
September 18, 2006

FOR a second year in a row, the game that nearly all season appeared the obvious grand final match-up has come a week early.

Last season, West Coast and Adelaide headed the ladder for the last nine home-and-away rounds, their premiership play-off seemingly inevitable. But that was before the Crows blew their home qualifying final against St Kilda.

Adelaide rebounded the following week, but sentenced to a preliminary final at Subiaco, found the odds stacked too heavily, kissing its flag hopes goodbye a week from grand final day.

Switch forward 12 months, and it's the same plot, same actors, only their roles having reversed. Adelaide and West Coast held down the top two spots from round nine onwards, the Eagles' turn to finish No. 1 then lose that first home final.

The significant difference this season, however, is in the expectation of just how this intriguing sequel might play out.

Adelaide clearly shot itself in the foot in that 2005 upset at the hands of the Saints. West Coast's one-point loss to Sydney last week, in contrast, has left the Eagles with barely a limp.

West Coast will head to AAMI Stadium chock full of confidence, and with plenty of popular support for its chances not only of knocking over the Crows, but either Sydney or stablemate Fremantle at the MCG the following Saturday. And rightfully so.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon of a finals side that stitches up its opposition as emphatically as the Eagles did the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night. But this is about far more than the superficiality of a 74-point scoreboard belting.

Daniel Kerr, Andrew Embley and Ashley Hansen were three of West Coast's four changes for the semi-final. They threatened to make a huge difference. And did.

The magnificence of Chris Judd and Ben Cousins is a weekly event, but something Sydney has been able to withstand. But you wonder whether that would have been the case with Kerr, Embley and an improved Chad Fletcher also thrown into the mix.

Those five players had no fewer than 134 disposals between them, an average of just on 27, against a Bulldog midfield and on-ball brigade that simply didn't know which way to turn. That in turn was great news for Eagle lesser lights Sam Butler and Beau Waters, who cashed in with 30 and 24 damaging touches respectively.

Hansen straightened the Eagles up with his hard leading and 11 marks, presenting another key forward target.

It was one change appreciated fully by Quinten Lynch and the game's most effective "swingman", Adam Hunter. They shared 10 goals, and along with the occasional presence of a resting ruckman, made West Coast's forward set-up a different proposition altogether from the impotent lot that was dealt with in last year's grand final.

Adelaide's defence is the best around, but the Crows' backmen will this week have a much bigger job on their hands given that profile and amount of quality ball coming in than they might have assumed a week ago. Not that the Crows wouldn't already have been a little twitchy anyway. They've lost five of their past six clashes with the Eagles, two of them coming at AAMI Stadium, where West Coast hung on by two points back in round two in one of the best games of the season.

That 82-point belting of Adelaide at Subiaco in round 17 also doesn't exactly hurt the case for a West Coast victory this week. The Eagles were completely dominant in midfield and around the ground despite the absence of ruckman Dean Cox, Embley and Fletcher. They racked up 26 goals, Lynch and Hansen sharing seven, but a spread of 13 individual goalkickers was equally significant.

And that win came against a much fuller playing contingent than Adelaide coach Neil Craig has had at his disposal for some time.

The Crows missed Andrew McLeod that day, but still had Brett Burton, Mark Ricciuto, Ben Hart and Trent Hentschel up and running.

What a luxury that seems now. For the Crows, it's clearly going to be all hands on deck, and that means some big, big decisions for Craig on the fitness of Ricciuto, McLeod and Burton.

Of that trio, it's the "Birdman" who appears closest to the line. To play all three underdone stars would be asking for trouble, and if the worst eventuated, Craig would cop a caning about gambling on unfit players at the most critical point of the season. But he might equally be criticised for playing less capable, if fitter, bodies against the roll call of silk presented by Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley and co.

John Worsfold had his worries after West Coast's first-up finals loss. But the Eagles' coach is entitled to feel a little more comfortable than his coaching rival this week.

Blowing a home qualifying final and being sentenced to an interstate preliminary final might have been a death sentence. It proved as much for Adelaide last year.

But few, if any, sides that have faced a monumental finals challenge look as well-equipped for the task as Worsfold's mob does right now.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/09/17/1158431586989.html

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:06 am »
Injury Update
Tue 19 September, 2006

Sydney
Jared Crouch (ankle/collarbone) season
Ryan Brabazon (wrist) season
Jarred Moore (thumb) season
Paul Williams (shoulder) season

Fremantle
Ryan Murphy (foot) test
Paul Hasleby (abdomen) season
Robert Haddrill (knee) season
Daniel Haines (achilles) season

Adelaide
Andrew McLeod (foot) test
Ben Hart (achilles) test
Brett Burton (hamstring) test
Trent Hentschel (knee) indefinite
Mark Ricciuto (virus) indefinite
John Hinge (hamstring) TBC
Hayden Skipworth (hamstring) TBC
Chris Knights (quad) TBC
Luke Jericho (shoulder) season

West Coast
Brad Smith (knee) season
Damien Adkins (leg) season

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=298768

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2006, 03:33:25 am »
What a shit september its been.Hate West Coast and Adelaide. If Freo don't get up (dont have much time for sydney either) then think i'll just start drinking early and forget about the game on the one day in september >:(
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2006, 01:52:42 am »
Finals Fever: Preliminary finals

Craig Hutchison and Caroline Wilson analyse the weekend's games (after Volvo ad):

http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=22076&sy=age&source=theage.com.au%2F&t=20G12I&ie=1&player=wm7&rate=905&flash=1

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2006, 09:52:59 am »
There seems to be a fair bit of belief that WC can beat Adelaide.  I think we can do it but I am surprised how many people aren't backing Adelaide.  I know they have injuries etc but they are still a quality outfit.  We'll see I guess.

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2006, 11:35:58 am »
   SYDNEY  55 - 38  FREMANTLE   (half time)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:13:00 pm by Emerald Red »

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2006, 09:03:12 am »
Sydney win by 30 odd points.

West Coast come back from 22 points down at half time to win by 10 (Although 6 of those points was after the siren).

The West Coast V Adelade game was a ripper.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2006, 05:50:20 pm »
2006 Preliminary finals results:

Friday night:

Sydney 19.13 (127) defeated Fremantle 14.8 (92) at Telstra Stadium (Sydney)

The superbly coached Sydney Swans had measure of the Dockers for most of the night finishing strongly to end Fremantle's best ever season. Barry Hall, 14 marks, 6 goals and team mate Michael O'Loughlin, 4 goals, doing the job up front for the Swans.

Saturday:

West Coast 11.19 (85) defeated Adelaide 11.9 (75) (AAMI Stadium (Adelaide)

What a game. Adelaide led by 22 points at half time to be hauled in and over powered by a more direct West Coast. The knee injury to Adelaide's ruckman Rhett Biglands was a huge blow to the Crows, with the Eagles gaining ascendancy in the midfield and throughout the second half. Well earned, come from behind win for the Eagles, in front of 50,000 at AAMI Stadium, to win by 10 points.

Next week:

The big one.....................West Coast v Sydney (at the MCG)  (2006 Grand Final)

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2006, 02:01:45 pm »
Goodes wins his 2nd Brownlow.

Scotty West is again the bridesmaid.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2006, 01:17:52 am »
Goodes wins his 2nd Brownlow.

Happy for him; he has had a fantastic season...Plus his bird is farken gorgeous.

Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:32 am »
Gotta feel for Scotty West and Daniel Kerr!

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2006, 02:31:50 am »
2006 AFL Grand Final.....Sydney v West Coast:       Prediction time:

Winner?
   Margin?
   Norm Smith medallist?

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2006, 02:53:57 am »
2006 AFL Grand Final.....Sydney v West Coast:       Prediction time:

Winner?
   Margin?
   Norm Smith medallist?

Winner:   Sydney
Margin:   1-20 Points (Am I allowed this much???)
Norm:     Adam Goodes
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2006, 10:16:20 am »
2006 AFL Grand Final.....Sydney v West Coast:       Prediction time:

Winner?
   Margin?
   Norm Smith medallist?

Winner: West Coast
Margin: Less than 10 points. Probably a kick in it.
Norm Smith: Ben Cousins. I thought he was awesome in the game agaist Adelaide.

:)
Obi-Wan:

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2006, 12:55:06 am »

Winner= West Coast
   Margain= 23 points
   Norm Smith medallist= Ben Cousins

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2006, 02:10:25 am »
Winner: Sydney
Margin: a whisker
Norm Smith Medallist: Barry Hall (who will kick the winning goal after the final siren)

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2006, 05:39:38 am »
The Swans remind me of the Lions of a few years back, in their match against the Dockers. The way they turned defence into attack was impressive. For me the Swans will win by 2 goals....

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2006, 05:54:30 am »
Winner: Wet Coat
Margin: 18 points
Norm Smith: Daniel Kerr

Kerr only played 15 minutes of last years Grand Final, and would have won the game for his team if he was fit. Out of Cousins, Judd and Kerr, Kerr is the more freakish player, which is saying something. He outpolled Judd in the Brownlow and came in third, even if he was ineligible, and he also missed games during the season.

My smokie for the Norm Smith if the Swans get up is Adam Schneider.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2006, 09:12:13 am »
Winner: West Coast
Margin: 10 points
Norm Smith: Ben Cousins

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2006, 12:07:04 pm »
Colour story ahead of the big game:

Being a competitive footballer has its perks. The adulation, the post-match rub-downs and, most importantly, the women. Or, in Nick Davis's case, the lovesick antics of teenage girls. The Swans player,
sacked earlier this year but now welcomed back to the squad, was mobbed by schoolgirls at an open training match this week. One lass, Lucy, 15, wrote her name and her number on his arm.

Alas, Davis never called. But after a picture of Davis was published in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday showing Lucy's number on his arm, scores of other men did, all claiming to be him. We rang Lucy and asked whether she shouldn't be going for boys her own age. "It was a joke," she said. Did you get in trouble, we asked? "Yeah, I did. I think my dad rang the newspaper." Whether it was in response to Lucy's father or not, the newspaper rubbed the young girl's number off his arm for its second edition without alerting readers to the digital retouching.

Davis is no stranger to female attention. Earlier this year he was in a love triangle with a female jockey and a woman he described as "my old girlfriend from last season". We assume he's single now.

Another teenage girl at this week's training match invited Davis to her year 10 formal, an invitation he accepted with the gracious, "Yeah ... I'll do anything for a free feed."

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2006/09/embarrassments_2.html

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2006, 08:12:15 am »
West Coast win by 1 point!  :o
Obi-Wan:

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2006, 10:01:29 am »
The fat lady, suffering heart palpitations and some dizzy spells, is in full voice....after West Coast win by a 1pt! :o

West Coast claimed their third AFL premiership and their first since 1994 with a thrilling 12.13 (85) to 12.12 (84). victory over Sydney.
 West Coast's Andrew Embley winning the Norm Smith Medal for best afield.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2006, 11:02:00 am »

...One lass, Lucy, 15, wrote her name and her number on his arm.

Alas, Davis never called. But after a picture of Davis was published in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday showing Lucy's number on his arm, scores of other men did, all claiming to be him. ...

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2006/09/embarrassments_2.html

;D

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2006, 11:06:14 am »
Congrats DK and all you West Coasters....enjoy your beers, DK!

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2006, 11:47:33 am »
Yep, well done DK: had the sum total of one beer today, very unusual for me for a Grand Final day, but I've got a bug. Normally at this stage I'd be legless.

Game very similar to last years: came down to one or two plays: Daniel Chick with a couple of crucial plays to get the win for the Coaters.

Two very close Grand Finals for the first time in decades: great rivalry and respect between the two clubs, and this bodes very well for the future of the code.

Number 1 sport in Australia you'd have to say.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:21:19 pm by Red Death »

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2006, 11:50:40 am »

:( :'( :( :'( :(

I must say, this is a very civilized thread ...

so I'll just    :-X

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2006, 12:57:16 pm »
:champ

Absolutely stoked :D

What a game...not good for the heart but what a game :D :D

Very proud of the lads and though both teams played their guts out so full credit to Sydney.  I couldn't have survived a loss like that again though.

What a game  ;D

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2006, 02:50:02 pm »
The final quarter even for for a non supporter was gripping stuff.

I wanted West Coast to win. Why? I don't know. Probably because they lost last year and where within a kick. To lose 2 finals in the same way would have been devastating for the club.

I think they got the Norm Smith wrong. I thought Kerr provided the class when it mattered most in such a tight game. His breaks reduced the presure at times that must of been unbeleiveable for a player or fan alike.
Obi-Wan:

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2006, 06:10:32 pm »
Agree with you gjr, I thought Kerr should have taken Norm home but I think the judges were impressed by Embers two way performance - not just going forward was he class but he made some crucial moves in his defensive 50 too.

Not that I'm too fussed :D

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2006, 04:32:15 am »
2006 AFL Draft: Final List

Full List of 2006 Draftees Round No. Pick No. Club Player Name Club From DOB Height Weight
1 1 Carlton Bryce Gibbs Glenelg 15/03/1989 187.4 77.6
1 2 Essendon Scott Gumbleton Peel 3/08/1988 197.1 92.8
1 3 Kangaroos Lachlan Hansen Gippsland 17/08/1988 196.7 90.1
1 4 Brisbane Matthew Leuenberger East Perth 7/06/1988 203.2 92.9
1 5 Port Adelaide Travis Boak Geelong Falcons 1/08/1988 183.3 76.4
1 6 Hawthorn Mitchell Thorp Tassie Mariners 25/12/1988 194.1 86.4
1 7 Geelong Joel Selwood Bendigo 26/05/1988 182.4 80.2
1 8 Collingwood Ben Reid Murray 29/04/1989 196.4 82.3
1 9 St Kilda David Armitage Morningside 16/06/1988 183.5 80
1 10 Collingwood Nathan Brown Nth Ballarat 17/12/1988 193.5 87.2
1 11 Western Bulldogs. Andrejs Everitt Dandenong 13/03/1989 193.4 77.4
1 12 Melbourne James Frawley Nth Ballarat 20/09/1988 192.7 81.3
1 13 Richmond Jack Riewoldt Tassie Mariners 31/10/1988 192.3 85.4
1 14 Adelaide James Sellar Glenelg 24/03/1989 195 90.1
1 15 Sydney Daniel O'Keefe Geelong Falcons 25/10/1988 183.7 74.1
1 16 West Coast Mitchell Brown Nth Ballarat 17/12/1988 193.3 89.8
PRIOR. 17 Carlton Sean Hampson Mt Gravatt 21/03/1988 200.8 93.1
PRIOR. 18 Essendon Leroy Jetta Sth Fremantle 6/07/1988 177.2 75.5
2 19 Carlton Shaun Grigg Nth Ballarat 19/04/1988 189.9 78.7
2 20 Essendon Tom Hislop Tassie Mariners 7/06/1988 184.4 85.9
2 21 Kangaroos Gavin Urquhart Morningside 15/08/1988 181.1 80.1
2 22 Brisbane Albert Proud Mt Gravatt 6/09/1988 180 83
2 23 Port Adelaide Paul Stewart Woodville-West Torrens 10/07/1987 189.8 82.35
2 24 Hawthorn Brent Renouf Southport 3/05/1988 200.3 92.5
2 25 Geelong Nathan Djerrkura NT Thunder 19/09/1988 176.3 77.1
2 26 Richmond Shane Edwards Nth Adelaide 25/10/1988 179.6 68.6
2 27 St Kilda Brad Howard Redlands 21/12/1987 180.5 71.75
2 28 Collingwood Chris Dawes Sandringham 16/05/1988 193.7 95.6
2 29 West Coast Eric MacKenzie Claremont 19/05/1988 195.8 91.4
2 30 Melbourne Ricky Petterd Broadbeach 24/07/1988 185.3 76.7
2 31 Fremantle Clayton Collard Sth Fremantle 4/12/1988 182.4 85.8
2 32 Adelaide Kurt Tippett Southport 8/05/1987 200.6 95.9
2 33 Hawthorn Jarryd Morton Claremont 5/10/1988 191 80.7
2 34 Brisbane Chris Schmidt West Adelaide 20/03/1989 188 80.8
3 35 Carlton Mark Austin Glenelg 24/02/1989 193.4 88.2
3 36 Essendon Alwyn Davey SOUTH ADELAIDE 15/05/1984
3 37 Kangaroos Todd Goldstein Oakleigh 1/07/1988 201 106.2
3 38 Brisbane James Hawksley Peel 5/02/1989 186.4 73
3 39 Port Adelaide Nathan Krakouer Claremont 3/06/1988 182.1 61
3 40 Hawthorn Josh P. Kennedy SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS 20/06/1988
3 41 Geelong Tom Hawkins SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS 27/07/1988
3 42 Essendon Bachar Houli Western 12/05/1988 180.7 88.5
3 43 West Coast Tim Houlihan Nth Ballarat 10/02/1989 189.4 73.5
3 44 Collingwood Brad Dick East Fremantle 25/07/1988 181.8 68.6
3 45 Western Bulldogs. Brennan Stack Perth 26/05/1988 184.3 76.05
3 46 Melbourne Colin Garland Tassie Mariners 28/04/1988 190.6 84.6
3 47 Essendon Kyle Reimers Peel 10/01/1989 184 78.3
3 48 Adelaide David MacKay Oakleigh 25/07/1988 181.4 69.2
3 49 Sydney Daniel Currie Northern Knights 15/02/1989 200.4 90.6
3 50 West Coast Will Schofield Geelong Falcons 24/01/1989 194.9 81.9
4 51 Carlton Clint Benjamin Claremont 27/07/1988 189.2 80.5
4 52 Fremantle Brock O'Brien Peel 30/05/1988 180.5 74.9
4 53 Kangaroos Lindsay Thomas Port Adelaide 28/02/1988 180.4 76.4
4 54 Brisbane Matt Tyler Nth Ballarat 20/01/1988 193.7 82.05
4 55 Port Adelaide Robert Gray Oakleigh 30/03/1988 181.55 82.45
4 56 Hawthorn Garry Moss East Perth 5/07/1988 179.5 69.9
4 57 Geelong Simon Hogan Geelong Falcons 16/08/1988 181.4 67.8
4 58 Richmond Daniel Connors Bendigo 22/09/1988 183.1 78.5
4 59 St Kilda Jarryd Allen Calder 14/01/1988 193.2 87.7
4 60 Richmond Carl Peterson Claremont 3/07/1987 182.7 69.55
4 61 Western Bulldogs. Josh Hill Claremont 19/01/1989 186 72.4
4 62 Melbourne Isack Weetra PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES 27/02/1989
4 63 Collingwood Tyson Goldsack Gippsland 22/05/1987 191.3 82.35
4 64 Adelaide Nick Gill Nth Adelaide 25/08/1982 192.1 90.25
4 65 Sydney Peter Faulks Calder 24/04/1988 192.2 74
4 66 Western Bull. Malcom Lynch NSW/ACT Rams 16/03/1988 178 64.75
5 67 Carlton Joe Anderson Darwin 24/12/1988 187.6 81
5 68 Essendon PASS - - - -
5 69 Kangaroos Ben Warren Zillmere Eagles 11/02/1989 185.9 77.9
5 70 Brisbane Sam Sheldon Oakleigh 8/03/1989 183.2 78.85
5 71 Port Adelaide Justin Westhoff Central Districts 1/10/1986 199.4 83.45
5 72 Hawthorn PASS - - - -
5 73 Richmond Andrew Collins Bendigo 17/11/1988 184.4 70.95
5 74 St Kilda Matthew Ferguson ST KILDA 1/10/1984
5 75 Collingwood PASS - - - -
5 76 Western Bulldogs. Paul O'Shea REDLANDS/TOOWOOMBA 5/04/1989
5 77 Fremantle Calib Mourish Towns 8/07/1988 189.5 84.7
5 78 Adelaide Bryce Campbell NORWOOD 7/09/1984
5 79 Sydney Jesse White Southport 9/01/1988 196.3 101.4
5 80 West Coast James Thomson Claremont 18/02/1988 194.1 81
6 81 Carlton PASS - - - -
6 82 Kangaroos Aaron Edwards Frankston 2/03/1984 184 88
6 83 Port Adelaide Ryan Williams Geelong Falcons 10/10/1988 187.6 89
6 84 Richmond PASS - - - -
6 85 St Kilda PASS - - - -
7 86 Port Adelaide David Rodan RICHMOND 8/10/1983
7 87 St Kilda PASS - - - -
8 88 Port Adelaide PASS -

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2006, 04:40:28 am »
Very happy with our pick ups: got KPP Gumby at 2, and the rest pacy midfielders to fill our biggest need.

Reckon most clubs will be happy: this was a super draft, though it is true we won't know exactly how good it is until some years hence.

Picking up Jetta at 18 and Hislop at 20 are huge bonuses for us: both would have gone top 5 in most other years.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2006, 04:52:34 am »
I think Geelong's pick up (father/son rule) of Tom Hawkins, will be one to watch in the future.
Carlton couldn't go past Glenelg's Bryce Gibbs...good midfielder, very balanced and skilled.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2006, 04:56:05 am »
Geelong had a great draft: Hawkins would have gone top 4 except for the father/son rule. Was hoping Djerrkura would have fallen to us, at 36, but we got Aaron Davies brother instead.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 2, 2006, 01:53:35 pm »
Is there any news on Tom Lonergan?  He's from my home town and was good friends with his older brother at school.

Do they think he'll play again?

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 4, 2006, 01:56:56 am »
Apparently he is recovering well. Delisted by Geelong, will be redrafted and put on their rookie list with his same contract conditions. Set to play again when ready.

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #237 on: December 4, 2006, 02:52:22 am »
Carlton couldn't go past Glenelg's Bryce Gibbs...good midfielder, very balanced and skilled.

Interesting that they allocated him the same number as a previous Glenelg recruit from the 80's.

The Age

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2006, 12:34:07 am »
2006/07 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft
Selection   Club   Player   Recruited from
Round One           
1   Carlton   Cain Ackland   (from St Kilda)
2   Essendon   Mal Michael   (from Brisbane Lions)
3   Kangaroos   Ben Ross   (from Gippsland Power) (TAC Cup)
4   Port Adelaide    Adam Cockshell   (from Norwood) (SANFL)
5   Hawthorn   Josh Thurgood   (from Hawthorn)
6   Richmond   Kent Kingsley   (from Geelong)
7   St Kilda   Matthew Clarke   (from Adelaide)
8   Collingwood   Chris Bryan   (from Carlton)
Round Two           
9   Carlton   Cameron Cloke   (from Collingwood)

Offline Muzzmo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2006, 06:28:23 am »
Is there any news on Tom Lonergan?  He's from my home town and was good friends with his older brother at school.

Do they think he'll play again?

Apparently he is recovering well. Delisted by Geelong, will be redrafted and put on their rookie list with his same contract conditions. Set to play again when ready.

He was reclaimed by Geelong today at pick 50.

As Redmeister Oz said, he has been placed on their rookie list and will be given plenty of time to recover before making his AFL comeback.

Good article about players who failed to get a lifeline to continue their career at another AFL club at today's pre-season draft (eg, Ben Hart) here:

Thanks for the memories