Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
General Football and Sport / Re: The Golf Thread
« Last post by Crosby Nick on Today at 03:42:55 pm »
Greg Norman made a point to be dick to Rory during one of his practice rounds earlier last week at Augusta. That in of itself was probably a good sign that Rory wasn't going over to LIV.

Is that not just his standard behaviour?
Is there any further news on the fan zone which was supposedly opening underneath the stand?
No doubt they'll be doing the same things. This season I've barely noticed it, but that's only because they've slid back into mediocrity and so no one cares. Last season, I'd already noticed a lot of the "they're doing it the right way... they could've easily signed these players without the Saudi money anyway" type of bullshit comments in the media.

I've started seeing some positive news stories from Newcastle that I never expected and are atypical of what I would expect.

Pep has had an easy ride for years (as did previous managers, including those taking back handers)
General Football and Sport / Re: Everton - The 777 Unflushables
« Last post by rafathegaffa83 on Today at 03:40:15 pm »
Dunno, Harrison, Gomes, Gueye, Coleman, Young are semi regulars now aren't they? Harrison has played a lot, Gomes seems to come on a lot as a sub, Young and Coleman appear a fair amount. They could have some problems

Biggest issue there is they're getting no money for them and they've shown pretty much zero initiative towards using their reserves and youth set-up. Even Branthwaite had to go to PSV to get an opportunity at first-team football. So now they need to find half a dozen replacements with little to no way of spending a significant outlay to replace any of them
That's the point that's been made. Players tend to average out to their XG because finishing as a stat is negligible and down to variance. What is more important is getting in the right place at the right time. Solanke has been doing that and now it is paying off. Watkins has improved it and now he is scoring more.

The act of finishing is hitting the ball in the right direction, and most professional footballers can do that at this level. Whether it goes in or not is sometimes not what you can control (miss hit, goalie saves, bounces off the bar).

You have good XG you'll have more chances, eventually it starts paying off, and you end up scoring about what you were expected to.

Solanke himself is proof of that - it was always good, now he is scoring.

It's more important to regularly be in the right place at the right time

I don't disagree with much of this, and it's why I'd far rather have Nunez playing for us than 2006 Robbie Fowler, for example, even though God was a better finisher even at that stage of his career.

That doesn't mean Nunez's finishing *can't* improve beyond simple variance and luck. I mean, take the word at its face value. He literally isn't finishing the majority of the time. He is simply shooting. That needs to change and I believe it will to some extent over time.
Former LFC Players / Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Last post by Antonio Chigurh on Today at 03:40:04 pm »
oh come on :lmao

Some of this stuff about him is a bit mad and disingenuous.

You think he had it easy growing up and never worked for anything? Yikes!

You took my post seriously? Double yikes!! I was trying to make a somewhat sarcastic point about the mind bogglingly long odds on a little guy from Guinea making it to the top of the game while simultaneously not being arsed about it, that's all.

I think Newcastle are at it as well, why sportswash if you can't buy the media eh?

You'd have to look which journalists have new cars or houses

No doubt they'll be doing the same things. This season I've barely noticed it, but that's only because they've slid back into mediocrity and so no one cares. Last season, I'd already noticed a lot of the "they're doing it the right way... they could've easily signed these players without the Saudi money anyway" type of bullshit comments in the media.
I know some people have a habit of underrating opposition players but labelling Haaland - someone who won player of the year awards in two of the top four leagues before he turned 23 - as incredibly mediocre must be a new benchmark. Son has been excellent for near enough his entire career, Havertz is a false nine rather than a striker.

I think it is a poorly worded way to say he doesn't add much away from his goals, which is fine it isn't his game and the team doesn't need him to because they are the best at creating chances. They just need him to be in the right place for those chances and put some away

Inzaghi was also world class, but he was a poacher. Same with Haaland. He isn't more than a goal machine and he doesn't have to be to be effective and world class
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by Crosby Nick on Today at 03:39:24 pm »
We need Stockport and Oldham to get promoted to the Premier League so that City get to face some of their big rivals too.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Andy82lfc on Today at 03:39:18 pm »
Hopefully he retires from the national team. The AFCON has fucked him twice in a row now when he was having a great season.

He won't though as he'd likely get hammered by Egypt fans forever, which is funny really as lots of them already rip shreds out of him which I've always found bizarre. So I guess it's imagining how bad he'd get it if he actually gave them something proper to be angry about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10