Author Topic: Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter from Man City to join our scouting team  (Read 25007 times)

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
*Not sure if this is 100% confirmed yet so mods please move/lock if this isn't the right forum for it. The headline seems pretty certain though.*

LIVERPOOL FC are set to appoint Dave Fallows as head of scouting and recruitment as part of a double swoop on Manchester City.

Fallows will leave his role as first team scouting and recruitment co-ordinator with the Premier League champions to start work at Anfield.

The former Bolton Wanderers performance analyst will be joined by Barry Hunter, who will also quit City to be part of the new scouting set-up under manager Brendan Rodgers.

Since 2008 Hunter has been City’s chief scout for Italy, Switzerland and Russia.

The 43-year-old former Northern Ireland defender, who has also worked as a scout for Blackburn and Norwich, knows Rodgers well from their days at Reading together.

Securing the services of Fallows and Hunter from City represents a major coup for Rodgers as he looks to put the staff in place to help him realise his vision for the club.

Liverpool declined to comment but it’s understood that Fallows will form part of the new technical team working with Rodgers after owners Fenway Sports Group shelved plans to appoint a sporting director.

There are likely to be further appointments to the roles of head of development and head of medicine.

Fallows was at Bolton before moving on to City where he was key to building the club’s international scouting infrastructure using state-of-the-art technology.

“My role is primarily to co-ordinate all aspects of our scouting department, which includes liaising with scouts, fixture planning, managing the constant stream of reports coming in and effectively linking everything together,” Fallows explained back in 2010.

“The traditional role of a scout, where they went to a match and kept all the knowledge in their head rarely exists in modern day scouting structures.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/15/liverpool-fc-scouting-restructure-takes-shape-with-appointment-of-manchester-city-duo-100252-31187984/

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
They haven't really had the toughest scouting jobs at Man City over the last few years just look at all the top player in the world.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
They haven't really had the toughest scouting jobs at Man City over the last few years just look at all the top player in the world.

They would've scouted younsters right? From what I have heard they have a good youth team
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Man City youth system is amongst the best in England no?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
They would've scouted younsters right? From what I have heard they have a good youth team

In all honesty right mow it's not the youth team that I am worried about. They have been playing well for a while with good attacking players.

We need players to make the 1st team click better.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:31:31 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan

Fallows role at City was first team scouting and recruitment co-ordinator. I doubt he had anything to do with their academy recruitment.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fallows role at City was first team scouting and recruitment co-ordinator. I doubt he had anything to do with their academy recruitment.

“My role is primarily to co-ordinate all aspects of our scouting department, which includes liaising with scouts, fixture planning, managing the constant stream of reports coming in and effectively linking everything together,”

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Who have city scouted in the last ten years?

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
In all honesty right mow it's not the youth team that I am worried about. They have been playing well for a while with good attacking players.

So we cant have the same youth team forever. It also needs regular recruitements. As per the FSG strategy, we want to build from the youth. At the same time, we need some players for 1st team also. The policy of City is different to ours. The have worked for them and they can work for us too. Arent you supposed to do what your boss tells?

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
Who have city scouted in the last ten years?

exactly! the only scouting they do is....... 'i'll have him'!!
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter from Man City to join our scouting team
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:50:18 am »
ones that come into mind are Guidetti, Boyata, Weiss?

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:50:31 am »

The scouting job at city is like giving your wife your credit card on her birthday and telling her to go nuts.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:37 am »
Well let's be honest, how many good young players from abroad have we signed in the past 10 years?

Name me any young players who have gone on to play lots for the 1st team?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 10:52:40 am »
ones that come into mind are Guidetti, Boyata, Weiss?

Kompany for £6m has been their best buy over the last few years. And of course Joe Hart.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:47 am »
So it's not like our scouts have done much overall, we just haven't got a good enough record overall when it comes to signings.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:50 am »
how long has he worked at City but?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:54 am »
Found this on tlw.

The appointment of Dave Fallows is an interesting development. Manchester City recently completely overhauled their scouting system and Fallows was an integral part of the new setup in his role as “Football Scouting and Recruitment Coordinator”. Fallows was second in command (Mike Riggs who headed up the Scouting Dept. was recently poached by QPR) and appears to have been involved in assigning scouts, filtering the reports that came back, preparing recommendations / presentations on the club’s targets, and compiling a database of scouted players.

Following the influx of Arab funds, City established an extensive international scouting network which is complemented by the ProScout7 database and video systems, a statistical database and video analysis tool that monitors 130,000 players from 130 countries. Liverpool and Swansea both use the same system and we recently extended its use to the Academy to create a database of every player’s long-term internal development. We also recently signed a partnership deal with OPTA (City are also OPTA clients).

It appears that Fallows may have been appointed directly by the club rather than on the recommendation of Brendan Rodgers and this represents a significant new departure. In the past each new managerial regime appointed its own Chief Scout who was inextricably linked to the manager – Gerrard Houllier / Alex Miller, Rafa Benitez / Eduardo Macia etc. Even when FSG tried to move away from this model by appointing Damien Comolli, the new Director of Football cherry-picked Steve Hitchen, Spurs’ French-based scout, as his Head Scout.

The traditional approach creates two major problems – there may be a perception (rightly or wrongly) that the scout is not providing a truly independent assessment of his boss’ preferred targets and the club will almost certainly lose the scout’s expertise if his boss is replaced. By appointing a suitably qualified candidate directly, FSG can ensure that any analysis furnished is independent and the scouting network will not break down if other senior personnel move on (which should also reduce compensation payments).

In the past there have been question marks about certain managers’ relationships with agents (*cough* Willie McKay *cough*) as well as the alleged use of unlicensed Italian agents. A direct appointment should provide the necessary checks and balances to avoid even the suggestion of impropriety. More importantly, we would never again face a situation where we are heading into the most important transfer period of the year without the proper infrastructure in place. Following Comolli’s appointment we disposed of a number of long serving scouts and, now that his connections have also gone, our scouting system has been decimated. Fallows will have quite a job on his hands to re-establish our network but at least he has recent experience of fulfilling such a task and is already familiar with our club’s systems.

Based on Ayre’s recent comments, I suspect that we will form a transfer committee comprising of Brendan Rodgers, Dave Fallows, the Head of our Medical Department, Michael Edwards (Head of Analytics) and somebody with their finger on the club’s financial pulse. I expect the club will pursue our new manager’s preferred targets but he will have to satisfy the other members of the committee / FSG that any acquisitions or disposals make objective sense. Hopefully this change will consign the spectre of Cheyrou, Diouf, Aquilani, Downing et al to the past and we can start to get real value for money.

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:04:53 am »
Interesting.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:47 am »
Neil Jones ‏@neiljonesecho
Understand there could be a third arrival from City's scouting department in the next week or so too. Trying to get that stood up.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:21 am »
Based on Ayre’s recent comments, I suspect that we will form a transfer committee comprising of Brendan Rodgers, Dave Fallows, the Head of our Medical Department, Michael Edwards (Head of Analytics) and somebody with their finger on the club’s financial pulse. I expect the club will pursue our new manager’s preferred targets but he will have to satisfy the other members of the committee / FSG that any acquisitions or disposals make objective sense. Hopefully this change will consign the spectre of Cheyrou, Diouf, Aquilani, Downing et al to the past and we can start to get real value for money.

This seems to be a good point.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
De Jong as already mentioned was a top buy, Zabaleta too he's an amazing buy. I like how it's more like the Lyon model than the DOF model. With DOF way you have same problem of one man running the show this way it's a group of people picking targets.  Less chance of mistakes
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:47 am »
Found this on tlw.

Nice one. Sounds like a good plan.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 11:23:23 am »
Hopefully these appointments introduce some much needed common sense to our transfers.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »
Since 2008 Hunter has been City’s chief scout for Italy, Switzerland and Russia.[/b]

So presumably this is the lad responsible for the likes of Jo, Balotelli, and Kolarov? Great.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

Hopefully these appointments introduce some much needed common sense to our transfers.
Guys, I think we should keep in mind that this is not just about scouting potential recruits, it's also about scouting the opposition:

"...it’s understood that Fallows will form part of the new technical team working with Rodgers"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:55:57 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »
Shankly (Towards the end of the 60s), Paisley, Joe Fagan, and to some extent Dalglish all relied upon one Geoff Twentyman and his network of scouts to identify and bring in new players, this model we are putting in place is not much different, so to those who may be concerned that it is taking away the managers role in transfers, it doesn't, it helps the manager, and in anycase we've been doing it for years and years.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 02:10:19 pm »
Found this on tlw.

I can see that it would make it easier if we change manager.

But what happens if it's not the managers fault but the players the "committee" are bringing in?

You just sack the manager and keep the "committee"

I keep seeing the "Committee" from Phoenix Nights choosing the next weeks acts.

"Sigurdsson he's the future"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:17:46 pm by Trada »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

But what happens if it's not the managers fault but the players the "committee" are bringing in?

It will be up to the club to identify any weaknesses it has in its structure and to deal with them. If that means one or some in this committee then so be it.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »
And how did they assemble that youth team and get their parents on board? ££££.

I'd still like to know why are they leaving City, can't be just because they are mates with Rodgers.

Oh well, at least we have Italy, Switzerland and Russia covered now - I welcome our next Padelli, Dossena and Degen.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 02:16:33 pm »

I keep seeing the "Committee" from Phoenix Nights choosing the next weeks acts.

You cant be 100% foolproof.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »
John Guidetti. Bring him with you please lads.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
You would have to honestly say the record of City's scouts is mixed, at best, over the past 5 years or so.  Sure, they've won the league, but that's because they've been able to buy two or three 20 million pound+ players every window, and if one of them didn't work out, oh well.  Here we don't have that luxury, so there is more pressure to get it right, especially with the big money buys.

Hope we don't have to endure a Jo, a Santa Cruz, or a Robinho for every Kompany or Hart.  It's impossible for us to look behind the scenes to see which scout was heavily backing which players, and who was really at the reins when those decisions were made, but I'm hoping that these are the ones who were advocating the better ones.  How would our owners have any way of knowing which decisions these men were responsible for?
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
No one seems to be questioning 'Why' they are leaving the comfort of millionaires row, for relative paupers(in comparison) LFC?
Surely, if they where that good, City would just throw more cash at them to stay?
I'm very skeptical about anyone who leaves the millions and comfort of City.........I'm not being funny but, these fellas aren't life long LFC fans! Whats there motivation...A new project or City want to get rid anyway, as they're 'Not that very good'?

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »
So presumably this is the lad responsible for the likes of Jo, Balotelli, and Kolarov? Great.
Quite.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »
It will be up to the club to identify any weaknesses it has in its structure and to deal with them. If that means one or some in this committee then so be it.

FSG haven't got a great track record or shown sufficient nous to identify weaknesses though have they. Their mantra seems to be if something isn't quite working properly then just sack everyone and start again. If the committee isn't quite right then just pay them off and bring in a new committee.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »
Hope we don't have to endure a Jo, a Santa Cruz, or a Robinho for every Kompany or Hart.

Of course we will have to endure that.  It is not a science, there are no formulas for success.  There is not a single scout in the world who will not have as many failures as successes.  As long as they are getting some good ones in the net that is all you can hope for.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline I and I

• Kemlynite
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »
John Guidetti. Bring him with you please lads.

Wouldn't mind that all tbf, young player and very ambitious. Versatile with a bit of swagger, he had a really good season for Feyenoord.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
Of course we will have to endure that.  It is not a science, there are no formulas for success.  There is not a single scout in the world who will not have as many failures as successes.  As long as they are getting some good ones in the net that is all you can hope for.
Difference being is that City can well afford to make huge mistakes. We cannot.

Although we've been doing a great job of putting that to the test over the past few years.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:59 pm »
Difference being is that City can well afford to make huge mistakes. We cannot.

Although we've been doing a great job of putting that to the test over the past few years.

I would guess they will be operating on much smaller budgets here so the mistakes will be smaller, but with that the chance of success also diminishes.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »
I know pretty much nothing about how scouting works. My question is this: do certain scouts have reputations which provide more pull with certain clubs/players? Man City have been dealing with some of the top teams in the world over the last few years, will the connections the scouts have made over this time potentially open avenues which were previously closed off to LFC?
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp