Author Topic: Flag Making Explained.  (Read 118648 times)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Re: Flag Making Explained.
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »
Lettering

Ok to be honest i do my lettering as Roper described at the start of the thread but i will describe it seperately here as ive had a few PM's about it.

Fabric
Before you start anything it is usualy a good idea to wash your fabrics seperately to get rid of any colour that might run. I'm always worried my banners might end up with pink letters!

Printing First of all work out what letters you require for your banner and print them out to the required size. If you are doing this at home you will want to save on ink by using a 'hollow' font like this one: http://www.fontdownloadsfree.com/fonts/1/4/arialichollow_arialic%20hollow.html Or you could use WordArt or something similar. If your using your companies printer you might like to think "fuck it, it's their ink"

If you want letters bigger than A4 your going to have to print them out on multiple sheets and stick all the bits of A4 together. Or use a photocopier to enlarge them, either way its a bit tricky.

Transfering to Fabric

For my banners i have used white cotton drill for my lettering, there are 2 ways to mark out the letters on the fabric depending on its thickness / colour.

1. When using white cotton you can sometimes just lay the fabric over the paper and trace through it marking your fabric with a soft pencil like a 4B.

2. Cut out the letters and draw round them onto your fabric.

Now cut out your letters with a sharp pair of scissors.

Sticking them to your banner

Once i have cut out the letters and positioned them correctly on my banner i use 'bondaweb' to stick them on. REMEMBER your going to have to iron this stuff so have an appropriate surface underneath. then cut the bodaweb for one or two words at a time and place it between the letters and the banner. Letters like 'T' are easy, letters like 'S' are a pain. Then Iron the letters and bingo they are stuck.

As we are going to make a boss banner and have it stitched you dont need 100% coverage witht the bondaweb and the odd flappy bit wont matter.

Stitching

Right you need to find your local Dressmaker / Seemstress / Curtain maker or similar. Usually they are nice old ladies working at home. Once you have located someone, get them to stitch round you lettering with a really tight zig zag stitch, they will know what to do. Then hem all round the banner BUT explain to them that you want about 1" wide hem so you can thread cotton tape through the top and thread wooden dowling up the sides for 'wafting' - thats a technical term.

If you find a nice old dear to stitch it she will probably only charge you £40 or so. Stitching round all those letters is a Bastard so give her an extra £10 or a nice box of chocolates or some flowers. It will also help if you need another one doing in the future.

Hope that helps.
Scope.

My technique is similar to Scope's EXCEPT:

1. I use felt for lettering. It is easier to cut, stands prouder from the fabric, and doesn't fray, so you don't need to use zigzag stitching - regular straight-line stitching will do.

2. I used bondaweb for my last banner, this time I used PVA glue. Effect just as good, a fraction of the price, and took about 1/2 the time.

3. If you decide to use bondaweb anyway, there is a much easier way (sorry scope, but you might enjoy this for next time) - before you even start marking out your letters etc on your lettering fabric, iron bondaweb onto the whole of your piece of fabric. Then, when you mark and cut out your fabric, they will all effectively be iron-on letters with no farting about. (Sadly, I didn't previously know this, and for my old banner, I spent ages cutting everything out of fabric once and out of bandaweb once. Huge waste of time.)

NB: Great tip by Scope about washing the red fabric first - I wish I'd read that before I made this banner. My last one did run a bit, but not noticeably. I had to whiten the letters a little with chalk to get rid of the slight pinky tinge when my banner got wet in Anglesey ;D.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline monkeyboy1579

• Main Stander
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2007, 11:08:47 pm »
My technique is similar to Scope's EXCEPT:

1. I use felt for lettering. It is easier to cut, stands prouder from the fabric, and doesn't fray, so you don't need to use zigzag stitching - regular straight-line stitching will do.

2. I used bondaweb for my last banner, this time I used PVA glue. Effect just as good, a fraction of the price, and took about 1/2 the time.

3. If you decide to use bondaweb anyway, there is a much easier way (sorry scope, but you might enjoy this for next time) - before you even start marking out your letters etc on your lettering fabric, iron bondaweb onto the whole of your piece of fabric. Then, when you mark and cut out your fabric, they will all effectively be iron-on letters with no farting about. (Sadly, I didn't previously know this, and for my old banner, I spent ages cutting everything out of fabric once and out of bandaweb once. Huge waste of time.)

NB: Great tip by Scope about washing the red fabric first - I wish I'd read that before I made this banner. My last one did run a bit, but not noticeably. I had to whiten the letters a little with chalk to get rid of the slight pinky tinge when my banner got wet in Anglesey ;D.

Like you mate i used PVA glue the only problem i have come across is that it is a bit stiff when it drys esp the Rafa section which makes it hard to fold!!
"Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor."

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2007, 11:14:02 pm »

Like you mate i used PVA glue the only problem i have come across is that it is a bit stiff when it drys esp the Rafa section which makes it hard to fold!!

Once you've had it stitched, you can "crunch" the glue, making it as flexible as talc.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Online Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:47 am »
Quick question, what material do I use to stich/stick on?

White felt?

Need to head to town now to purchase it
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline monkeyboy1579

• Main Stander
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
Quick question, what material do I use to stich/stick on?

White felt?

Need to head to town now to purchase it

i used normal cotton material brought from materials shop for the black and white and some white felt foir the rest

Offline Reds Turkish Delight

• Kopite
  • Form is temporary Class is permanate
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2007, 09:32:59 am »
I'm looking to make a quick one to take with me. Where can I get the materials in Liverpool.  ;)
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are, in my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline garyabbo

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2007, 07:42:59 pm »
Someone should tidy this up and post it as a sticky, there's some good advice for any banner maker here. Well done lads.  ;)

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2007, 09:10:10 pm »
can someone please PM me somewhere that i can get some material for a banner in town?

i fly on wednesday so its going to have to be a quick make!

someone please PM me some possible places and they types of things they have.

thanks
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Stuie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »
think someone was saying the other day that the majority of places in Liverpool are sold out of cotton drill

might be easier to buy a red bedsheet

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2007, 09:14:31 pm »
think someone was saying the other day that the majority of places in Liverpool are sold out of cotton drill

might be easier to buy a red bedsheet

will that work? or look a bit shite?
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2007, 09:15:14 pm »
or look a bit shite?

it will if you put everton on it.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2007, 10:28:26 am »
was wondering if anyone could be so kind to help me out here

im looking for the stencil of the european cup, i appreciate it may well already be in this thread but as my works server is so unbelievably weak and i cant see majority of pics/photos but i can save to my documents and view from there

so please if anyone has that stencil please reply to me

cheers big ears ;-)

Offline Bigevo

• Boys Pen
  • Anny Road, 25 years
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2007, 08:18:39 pm »
keep seeing them myself, with a liverbird, european cup and athens 2007 on

not sure where to get them though

2 Places i got mine: Huyton Village ( stall near banks) , and the asda off queens drive (near ullett road)
"We are Liverpool, you are playing for Liverpool. Do not forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them.You cannot call yourselves Liverpool players if you have your heads down. Give yourselves the chance to be heroes."  Rafa - Istanbul at half time.

Offline Stuie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2007, 08:55:03 pm »
was wondering if anyone could be so kind to help me out here

im looking for the stencil of the european cup, i appreciate it may well already be in this thread but as my works server is so unbelievably weak and i cant see majority of pics/photos but i can save to my documents and view from there

so please if anyone has that stencil please reply to me

cheers big ears ;-)

click the image to enlarge it

Offline figgy12

• elegantly shite and about to be arrested for bestiality with a labrador - fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck. That is all.
    • RAWK
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:39 pm »
Anyone got a Gold European cup?

Please :)
So. Fucking. Angry.

Offline E13 - WHU

• Kemlynite
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2007, 06:50:28 pm »
Does anyone any material what dosent fray ?

Cheers

Offline Stuie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2007, 07:08:25 pm »
Anyone got a Gold European cup?

Please :)

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45376.0;attach=113499;image

change the colour of it in paint

Cheers

cotton drill is what the majority use

Offline E13 - WHU

• Kemlynite
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:09 pm »
^Cheers for replying, i have got cotton drill for the actual flag but the letters fray easy with cotton drill so wanted something which dont fray for the letters.

Regards

Offline Duzzer

• Anny Roader
  • Arise Sir Fat Scouser
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2007, 07:51:17 pm »
^Cheers for replying, i have got cotton drill for the actual flag but the letters fray easy with cotton drill so wanted something which dont fray for the letters.

Regards

I used T shirt transfer paper printed off lettering then cut them out then ironed them on.
No need for stiching and cost me £12 for 10 sheets of A4
Like my Son I was a red before I was born

Offline E13 - WHU

• Kemlynite
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2007, 08:34:06 pm »
I used T shirt transfer paper printed off lettering then cut them out then ironed them on.
No need for stiching and cost me £12 for 10 sheets of A4
How do i do this ?

Offline donelli

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2007, 05:01:13 pm »
can anyone give me advice on paint which can be used for banner making.
fabric paint is very expensive in my local craft dtore so thats ruled out.
i made a banner for athens. i sed the paint found in shops that kids use in school as referred in posts above. However, after the downpours of rain the lettering started to peel off.
any advise of alternative paints for material would be appreciated. :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 4, 2007, 04:31:03 pm »
can anyone give me advice on paint which can be used for banner making.
fabric paint is very expensive in my local craft dtore so thats ruled out.
i made a banner for athens. i sed the paint found in shops that kids use in school as referred in posts above. However, after the downpours of rain the lettering started to peel off.
any advise of alternative paints for material would be appreciated. :)

Fabric paint is the only way really, everything else will eventually crack and fall off, a thin layer of acrylic *might* be ok, but cos it's plastic based it will peel off. Poster paint is powder based, so it'll always dilute when it gets wet.

Inks like they use in silk painting is very good, but you'd have to use the gel stuff they use to section it off, as it just runs everywhere.

Better off just getting the fabric stuff, or going for fabric lettering, felt is dirt cheap. I got about 5m for £3 a few months ago.

Offline E13 - WHU

• Kemlynite
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2007, 08:36:20 pm »
What cotton did you lot use for your banners ?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2007, 08:37:37 pm »
What cotton did you lot use for your banners ?

Fearne.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline E13 - WHU

• Kemlynite
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2007, 08:58:34 pm »
Fearne.
Really funny...

No serious   lol lol

Offline Wilf Hunter

• Lives in a huff camper van
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Skrtel's Head
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »

Cheers

Choose wisely. You may get nicked for causing a fray...
There's only one 'F' in Rafa.

Offline monkeyboy1579

• Main Stander
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2007, 09:27:48 pm »
lmfao think we need a drum kit in this thread for all these jokes boom tish!!!

Offline Beggerz

• can't be custom title chooserz
  • Kopite
  • Pride of Merseyside
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2007, 05:38:49 pm »
Great thread, good advise :)

What is the best material to use for a red banner? I have prepared the lettering and all that, I just need to find the correct material to stick them on.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »

What is the best material to use for a red banner? I have prepared the lettering and all that, I just need to find the correct material to stick them on.

Will your banner adhere to the strict conditions laid down in the Boss Wednesday agreement?
If not you risk being greeted by the KFS snatch and burn squad.

All that hard work up in flames!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2007, 06:30:47 pm »
Please dont take this thread off track its probably the most informative page on the net for flag making. ;)
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Beggerz

• Kopite
  • Pride of Merseyside
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2007, 06:33:34 pm »
Please dont take this thread off track its probably the most informative page on the net for flag making. ;)

Exactly

So can anyone answer my question?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2007, 06:37:47 pm »
Someone should tidy this up and post it as a sticky, there's some good advice for any banner maker here. Well done lads.  ;)

I'll have a go at trimming this thread at some point so the helpful advice is featured more prominently.

I'll also try and put some of it here:

http://kopbanners.org/guides.html

Obviously we've already got Andy's guide and the stencils, however if others want to contribute that would be great.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Razor™

• Wellzy is a Taffy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2007, 08:11:58 pm »

Red Cotton Drill is what your after. Remember to wash it before you stick on your letters, otherwise white letters can turn pink if it gets wet.

If you cant get any local they have it here http://www.efabrics.co.uk/
Just type cotton drill into the search box on the website.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:16:34 pm by scope »
Liverpools where i belong, in my mersey paradise.
Guaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapa!!

Offline Beggerz

• Kopite
  • Pride of Merseyside
« Reply #233 on: October 1, 2007, 10:07:40 pm »
Red Cotton Drill is what your after. Remember to wash it before you stick on your letters, otherwise white letters can turn pink if it gets wet.

If you cant get any local they have it here http://www.efabrics.co.uk/
Just type cotton drill into the search box on the website.

Cheers mate, so i'm going to the fabric shop and asking for red cotton drill...Should I just use paper or do you think there's a better material I could use for the lettering?

Offline Razor™

• Wellzy is a Taffy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #234 on: October 2, 2007, 09:33:14 am »
Cheers mate, so i'm going to the fabric shop and asking for red cotton drill...Should I just use paper or do you think there's a better material I could use for the lettering?

For the lettering you need a fabric that doesnt fray to easy, a lot of people seem to use white felt but i have never tried it myself. I use a white cotton type fabric but the people in the shop will advise you.
Liverpools where i belong, in my mersey paradise.
Guaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapa!!

Offline k_hesketh88

• Kemlynite
« Reply #235 on: October 2, 2007, 10:29:18 am »
i am making a new one this weekend when i get payed me mar was going to stitch it but that paint looks cheaper and less hassle, wat material would be best to do that on so its dont go crusty and shit

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #236 on: February 6, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
peep ho.

fabric paint on poly-cotton.... does it work ok?
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline ShanksLad

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #237 on: February 6, 2008, 06:16:12 pm »
This is probably somewhere, but can't find it in any of the banner threads. Has anyone got (or a link to) the .eps vector files or font set for all the Liverbirds/Cups etc - that can be scaled to any size?

ta!

Offline Dom111

• Main Stander
  • Fuck the sun, fuck the sun.
« Reply #238 on: February 6, 2008, 11:04:41 pm »
Cheers, mate, good post as I am plannin on making a banner.

saying-

HISTORY IS THE RECORD OF GREAT MEN

picture of shanks and bob.

THE PRESENT IS THE REALISATION OF THOSE WHO HAVE BECOME GREAT

picture of rafa.
"LET ME TELL YER A STORY OF A POOR BOY......."

Offline Dom111

• Main Stander
  • Fuck the sun, fuck the sun.
« Reply #239 on: February 6, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »
just one question, Do i have to print pictures on or can i iron them on???
"LET ME TELL YER A STORY OF A POOR BOY......."