Author Topic: Figo, Barca and Gerrard  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Figo, Barca and Gerrard
« on: July 6, 2004, 08:49:12 pm »
I think many have missed what could turn out to be a defining moment in European football - when that Barca flag was thrown at Figo towards the end of the European Championship Final on Sunday. Many will dismiss it as the actions of a lunatic. However, nobody can ignore the power of that moment and the humiliation heaped on Figo in front of all of his country men at one of the most critical points in his career.

In that moment, every prima donna superstar footballer was shown that football has a soul that belongs to the fans (not to players, agents, managers, chairmen or owners). Figo's greed was exposed at a point in time when he was most vulnerable by a fan who had felt betrayed and who felt the game of football had been betrayed.

It was beautiful, poetic and savage.

It showed the hypocrisy of Figo's attempt to portray himself as a footballer of honour willing to die for his country. And most of all, it showed most clearly why the Greeks deserved to win and why it is better for football that the Greeks won.

The true values of football won out at Euro 2004. The so-called big name players such as Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Raul, and Gerrard (I'm afraid), were shown to be soulless media-hyped players who no longer understood the true spirit of football. Values of hard work, self sacrifice, battle and, most importantly, teamwork.

In Gerrard's case, he claimed he lost his concentration because of the 'confusion' over the proposed move to Chelsea. This shows the extent to which he was unable to see the need for the team to take precedence over the individual. He should not even have been thinking about such matters. Luckily, he pulled back from the brink of what would have been a soulless move to Chelsea. But the damage to England was done, much as his moodiness two seasons ago damaged Liverpools season.

Hopefully Gerrard witnessed the Barca fan and the moment of Figos exposure and hopefully, it will make him think about what is truly important in the game. Maybe he will understand his role in making Liverpool a great team for the fans rather than demanding that it becomes a great team for him.

We will ultimately find out if his decision to stay with LFC was about Steven Gerrard becoming one of the greats or whether he too becomes another overpaid and over hyped star who achieves little as a player.

© Soleil Rouge Grande 2004
« Last Edit: July 6, 2004, 08:53:37 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
Re: Figo, Barca and Gerrard
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2004, 08:51:52 pm »
That is a very interesting view point.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2004, 09:10:07 pm »
Was Figo particularly greedy in swapping Barca for Real? - Or didn't Real simply 'buy out' his contract from Barca as happens in Spain? - a genuine question.

Offline Mike 88

• Main Stander
  • European champions 2005 F.A cup winners 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2004, 09:22:11 pm »
Was Figo particularly greedy in swapping Barca for Real? - Or didn't Real simply 'buy out' his contract from Barca as happens in Spain? - a genuine question.

It wasn't just because he left Barca, but it was because he left them for Real Madrid - their arch rivals. It's like Gerrard going to United or Everton. It's the local pride that was damage

It is a very interesting view point which I agree with. Gerrard should remember that the game is for the fans, the way Shankly had it, not for personl glory.
We are the champions
champions of Europe

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2004, 09:40:37 pm »
Great post Rushian, one i totally agree with.

I think personally a lot of modern day footballers playing at the top level havent got a clue what real life is really. A lot of them, have been wrapped in cotton wool in the Youth Academys since their early teens? Maybe even younger? I dont know. But I think in this country (I cant talk about Spain, Italy etc Because I dont follow it) but in this country how many top players started their career at lower league clubs? Worked up from the bottom, roughed it so to speak. I remember reading something like that in Roy Keanes book. Some of the players today who have been wrapped in cotton wool, and have been living in dream land have no concept of reality. The world owes them a living and a lot of them believe its their divine right to act the way a lot of them do. I dont know if ive worded this right but thats my opinion on them. How many footballers today come out and confess their love for a paticular football club, say they are a lifelong fan and all that bollocks then turn around and stab the fans in the back? How many of them know what it is like to put your hard earned money into the club? When all they've ever done is take from it in some cases, Free tickets when they are a kid in the academy then the money when they grow up.

How many know what it is like to follow a team all over the country and across Europe, then being treat like nothing when some players cant even be arsed to applaud the travelling fans? Footballers sicken me these days, and that is why i smiled from ear to ear at the Figo incident. Once again, sorry if this post is confusing, im not very good at saying what I think in writing.  :wave
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Squillary

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2004, 12:48:26 am »
I agree that the one-man pitch invasion was the best part of the game for me as a neutral (although there's Greek on one side of my family, I was born here, so they all count as foreign AFAIAC) and the piece was nicely written (if a bit Mills & Boon for my taste).

Apart from that, how come everything that happens round here works its way round in this self-justifying manner.

The usual twaddle...  :butt

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2004, 11:58:05 am »
Dont really agree with this piece.

I have to admit I dont know the details of Figo's years at Barca or his transfer to Real (probably no point reading on then?) but dont really see too many similarites between his move and Stevie G's ditherings.

Stevie is a local lad who who plays for the liverbird upon his chest and his heart upon his sleeve. He was recently made captain, signed a new contract and verbally committed himself to this club. He is young and only starting to repay the investment in his youthful potential.

He had many years where injury threatened his potential and in hindsight appears to have been handled perfectly by one of the worlds caring clubs in order for him to realise his potential.

Stevie was choosing to go the souless money pit of chelsea, no history, no pedigree and no class.

Him choosing this particular time and that particular club to go would certainly lack class and be deserving of the ire of fans.

Figo on the other hand (if i have the gist of his story wrong i shall stand corrected), gave argueably his best years to Barca and with the reluctant consent of the club went to the most successful club side ever.

While well rewarded for the move you can hardly say his only motivation was money. Any player would jump at the chance to play at such a prestigous club in such a magnificent stadium and surely cannot be lambasted for this alone. Now maybe the manner of his leaving left him open to criticism but I dont know the details.  I have heard/read many a red say he wouldnt have begrudged Michael going to Real over the past 12 months or so coz he gave us his all and we were never going to match his ambition (not the case now hopefully). Many would have wished him well and respected any return to anfield as part of a visiting team.

So unless the manner of Figo's leaving is questionable i see no reason for the ire of Barca fans.

Ok, he went to their biggest rivals, now that does hurt but as far as i know he didnt hold Barca to ransom. they fancied the cash and were willing sellers. Also the idea of loyalty to a club is increasingly outdated. Clubs do often show little loyalty ot players and ultimately players are there to make a buck.

Levelling the charge of greed at Figo I think is wide of the mark. I presume you refer to financial greed? Surely it was only figo's greed for success that drove him to Madrid? Gred to play in the europes greatest ever club side? greed to be apart of a dream to collect together the greatest players in the world in one team?

I see no worong with that greed. Hunger for greatness i applaud. Aspiration to be a part of something historical is worthy of acclaim.

I cant see how a publicity whore interupting a cup final was poetic or beautiful, savage maybe. If Portugal had equalised straight after would that have been poetic or indeed if greece had gone further ahead? Not fair on any of the players imo.

It showed the hypocrisy of Figo's attempt to portray himself as a footballer of honour willing to die for his country I dont really see how it achieved this...

I'll finish by apolagising for wandering and ramblin a bit and by highlighting a point i agreee with you on:

The so-called big name players such as Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Raul, and Gerrard (I'm afraid), were shown to be soulless media-hyped players who no longer understood the true spirit of football. Values of hard work, self sacrifice, battle and, most importantly, teamwork.

But still would have preferred the Czechs to win

« Last Edit: July 7, 2004, 12:04:03 pm by Bren »
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2004, 01:10:02 pm »
Beautiful, poetic and savage?

Stupid, ill conceived and self publicising. The incident ruined the last few minutes of the game, and exploited Figo for the invaders own aims. I fail to see how it was anything other than pointless.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2004, 02:58:38 pm »
I hope then for the sake of the author that none of the Greek players sell out and leave their childhood teams (Olympiakos, Panathaniakos, AEK, PAOK etc) and head to the bright lights of Europe.

Although, perhaps, if you look, a lot of them already have.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2004, 03:31:31 pm »
Beautiful, poetic and savage?

Stupid, ill conceived and self publicising. The incident ruined the last few minutes of the game, and exploited Figo for the invaders own aims. I fail to see how it was anything other than pointless.
Well I enjoyed it. I also agree with the sentiments of the piece. I would never condone stupid actions but even at the time I was thinking go on lad when it became clear what was happening. Football has become so far stuck up its own arse. I only wish this had been the world cup final itself, with 2 higher profile teams and the guy had managed to evade security for 20 minutes. Maybe, just maybe some of the people in football would have rediscovered their soul for half a second but perhaps that's a wish too far.

Offline Jobby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2004, 05:40:34 pm »
As a Barca fan I know tells it, Figo’s transfer happened a bit like this:

Figo got lured to Real by Florentino Perez, the then-aspiring presidential candidate.  Perez was loaded but largely underheard of in the club but gave his campaign huge momentum by approaching Figo with an offer a year or so before the election.

He offered Figo 20 million euro if he would sign a contract to transfer to Real if Perez became President.  If Perez was elected and Figo refused to sign, Figo would have to lay back 40 million.  Perez was a no-hoper at the time, so Figo and his advisers chuckled, signed up and trousered the 20 million.

Perez later campaigned with the claim that if elected, he’d either sign Figo from Barca or pay to renew EVERYONE’s season ticket.  The Real members couldn’t lose and Perez won on a landslide.

Figo then shat his pants.  He didn’t have 40 million euro (or didn’t want to pay that) to get out of his deal with Perez and so had to approach the barca President to ask for a loan to avoid having to move.  The Barca President cracked and told him to shove it.

A few weeks later, Figo is famous as the greediest git in Spain and sits looking miserable at a Real press conference - hasn’t often been the same player since he left Barca.

A Barca fan is perhaps not the most objective source, but the story seems to fit the facts.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2004, 06:09:47 pm »
As a Barca fan I know tells it, Figo’s transfer happened a bit like this:

Figo got lured to Real by Florentino Perez, the then-aspiring presidential candidate.  Perez was loaded but largely underheard of in the club but gave his campaign huge momentum by approaching Figo with an offer a year or so before the election.

He offered Figo 20 million euro if he would sign a contract to transfer to Real if Perez became President.  If Perez was elected and Figo refused to sign, Figo would have to lay back 40 million.  Perez was a no-hoper at the time, so Figo and his advisers chuckled, signed up and trousered the 20 million.

Perez later campaigned with the claim that if elected, he’d either sign Figo from Barca or pay to renew EVERYONE’s season ticket.  The Real members couldn’t lose and Perez won on a landslide.

Figo then shat his pants.  He didn’t have 40 million euro (or didn’t want to pay that) to get out of his deal with Perez and so had to approach the barca President to ask for a loan to avoid having to move.  The Barca President cracked and told him to shove it.

A few weeks later, Figo is famous as the greediest git in Spain and sits looking miserable at a Real press conference - hasn’t often been the same player since he left Barca.

A Barca fan is perhaps not the most objective source, but the story seems to fit the facts.

Don't buy that.  It just seems to me that if Figo had then told the Barca manager about it they could have done Real for an illegitimate approach, and their lawyers would have sorted it out.

Figo betrayed the Barca fans is the way it looks to me.  But at least he was Portugese and at the end of the day had no particular loyalty to the Catalonians (cf Puyol say)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 8, 2004, 12:27:36 am »
one thing is for sure... you don't move from Barca to Real without feeling the wrath. Ever. And 'ever' is a long long time.

It's ego$ over history and ego$ never ever win. And Catalans NEVER forget. Forca Barca and forca all the points we get when we meet.  ;D

gb

« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2004, 03:00:59 am »
GREED

Ask Steven G if he would sign for a club that would guarntee PL and CL titles every year, but he'd have to work for minimum wage.

He'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

Teamwork is being forsaken for the individual selfless promotion of superstar footballers, who simply see a club as a place of work. They see the fans as privaleged individuals who should pay to see them play

Anthony N

« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2004, 10:26:56 am »
Excellent comment there , you are correct about the figos beckhams and gerrards of this world. But Ruud Van Nistelrooy? he is the last player i would have on such a list, he ran his heart out for holland as a LOAN striker (imagine Kluivert trying this??), and he actually DOES love man United which will be proved by him remaining there for a few more years yet. ABU ******, thats all it is. So maybe replace Ruud with em, i dont know ....Davids? Seedorf? Henry? the whole french team??????? 

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2004, 10:47:56 am »

In short: Figo was unhappy with his contract at Barca. Florentino Perez (who wanted the presidency at Real) made the call to Figo and promised him the gold he wanted. Figo then went to Barca and told them what he was offred - they declined to match the bid.

Perez based his election campaign with the "I´ll get Figo" promise, won and the deal was done.

It was greed but also the belief that he was to be more appreciated b Real then at Barca (by the owners that is - he should have stopped and thought for a moment about the fans that adored him).
However, the way Braca was run at the time I have a certain understanding for players that choosed to leave.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2004, 10:55:45 am »
irrespective of the rights and wrongs of figo, that guy running on was an arsehole. it doesn't justify that kind of action.

MichaelA was quite right.
Yep.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 07:28:35 am »
I agree with Steve think about how much it would of hurt for Stevie G to go to chelsea everyone would of been gutted but then imagine not only the pain but the embarrsment of him going to United we would be laughed at for seasons I feel for the Barca fans.
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05