Author Topic: Thread for Sensible Discussion about Klopp  (Read 651293 times)

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Thread for Sensible Discussion about Klopp
« Reply #40 on: October 9, 2015, 12:09:46 am »
I could see him bringing over one of those boss German keepers Germany literally have about 20 of them.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #41 on: October 9, 2015, 12:12:15 am »
1. Which senior players do you think will flourish and/or surprise us under Klopp?
I think Lallana will surprise -   He did well under Poch at Southampton in a high intensity pressing game -  We will see a different side to him
Believe it or not I see no reason (other than issue with high lines) why Skrtel wont still figure and do well.

2. Which senior players won't fit in?
If Mig is expected to do sweeper work then he's in trouble and although I love Lucas I feel as though he is lacking the requisite mobility (he has everything else needed bar passing range)

3. Which youth players will benefit or lose out from Klopp's appointment?

In a way they will all benefit because of a clean slate BUT if we start to play stronger teams in the Europa league then they will a lose out because of reduced game play opportunities.

4. How long will it take Klopp to get the team playing coherently in his system?
I have no idea. But if our fabled game intelligence is as good as Brendan claimed then hopefully not too long!

5. Where in the table do you see us finishing this season?
4th at the expense of whoever doesn't make it (Chelsea because that would feel right would love it to be Man U for shits and giggles)
Agree on Lallana. Many have said he'll struggle due to his perceived lack of pace, but his quick thinking and mobility in tight spaces should be perfect for Klopp's attack, which often overcrowds one side of the pitch to open up space on the opposite side. As you said he's also an excellent presser as we saw at Southampton where his stats for pressing actions and short sprints were off the charts. Modern football is less about raw speed over distance but rather about repeating sprints many times over the course of a game, so he should be a good fit. He also happens to be one of our better finishers too.

I disagree with the comment about Lucas lacking passing range. He's excellent at threading passes through midfield, and although he doesn't often play long balls those aren't really a regular feature in Klopp's teams where there's much more emphasis on one-two's and quick short passes, which Lucas is good at.

Mignolet will sink or swim based on how well he can adapt to playing a high line. If he struggles inevitable rumours linking us with Bernd Leno, Loris Karius, and/or Timo Horn will get increasingly likely to materialise.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #42 on: October 9, 2015, 12:14:44 am »
I could see him bringing over one of those boss German keepers Germany literally have about 20 of them.
Are there any other than Bernd Leno, Timo Horn, or Loris Karius who would be clear improvements (at least in terms of style) compared to Mignolet? (Ignoring Neuer who isn't going anywhere).

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #43 on: October 9, 2015, 12:19:14 am »
Until Firmino returns to full fitness, I think Lallana and Milner could emerge as a surprise choice for the #10 role alongside Ings and Sturridge upfront.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 9, 2015, 12:20:41 am »
1. Which senior players do you think will flourish and/or surprise us under Klopp?

-Sakho
-Clyne
-Can
-Henderson
-Firmino
-Coutinho
-Benteke
-Markovic (Think he's gonna be HUGE for Klopp when he returns and is used right)

-Sturridge

Got the feeling Klopp might want to go to a 4-2-3-1 and might end up going Benteke at top as his "Lewandowski", can't see Sturridge enjoying pressing 3 games a week and playing wider

-Mignolet
Will shit himself and be replaced in Jan

-Skrtel

Natural instinct is to retreat and sit deep not press

Ibe will really benefit from Klopp with his physicality. Gomez will improve

4. How long will it take Klopp to get the team playing coherently in his system?

January, maybe longer. Lots of games little coaching time next couple months. Needs time

6th, incredibly tough what he's walking into especially with the run coming up. Needs a lot of slack, and the summer to get everything sorted. I've mentally written this season off but wouldn't be shocked if I was very surprised
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 12:23:55 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #45 on: October 9, 2015, 12:23:34 am »
Lallana, Origi and Ings to surpise us

Markovic, Henderson, Ibe, Coutinho and Firminho to be what we would expect

Sturridge, Clyne & Can to be pressured to deliver more in the short term

Mignolet, Lovren and Skrtel to be replaced

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #46 on: October 9, 2015, 12:27:30 am »
You answered it :)

"I'm not sure what exact methods Klopp uses to improve players but his track record suggests that he will"

If we don't know what methods he'll use to improve players surely we can't say we can ascertain who will or won't be retained?

I get the discussion, I usually hope for the knowing of "how" something will happen  :D
Thanks, I genuinely appreciate your suggestion and understand what you mean. Few of us have any proper insight into Klopp's day-to-day methods, though there are certain aspects that can be deduced with some rational thought and discussion, which is really what I hoped to bring about by starting this thread. :)

I personally also very much enjoy reading how other posters see things such as the composition of the squad and expectations for the season, so although the discussion may admittedly be a bit superficial I'm grateful to have a stage like this to debate such topics with other posters who have their own interesting viewpoints and opinions.

As I said in the OP the initial questions were simply a conversation starter, so please feel free to bring up more ideas and questions to stimulate further discussion. There's of course plenty to discuss in these exciting times ;D
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 12:29:30 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 9, 2015, 12:30:21 am »
Will he start his tenure here with trying to solve the problem that he had with Dortmund, in that his team struggled to break down deep lying sides?

His pressing tactic will probably work against the better sides but what about most of the games at home?
Most teams struggle to break down deep lying sides. It's not a problem specific to Klopp and his preferred style of play.

Part of the strength of his focus on pressing and specifically gegenpressing (or counter-pressing) is that it's a very good way to break down those sides who sit back. If you catch them out as they try to transition then you immediately take opposition players out the game and make it easier to attack. That's one of Klopp's main solutions to facing a low block - numerical superiority in the middle, players close together making it easier to press aggressively when they lose the ball, then attack quickly when it's regained, with the full backs pushing up immediately on the transition into the wide space.

It may take a bit of time for his positional play to work but the beauty of his style is that the attacking and defensive phases are very interconnected. It also suits English football specifically in a number ways; being able to control space even relatively well immediately gains you an advantage in a league where not many teams can actually do that particularly efficiently. In a transition-based league, his particular focus fits immediately. What he might have to adapt more to is the fact that because teams are used to open games in this country, he might not be able to shock them in the same way Dortmund could do at times in the Champions League and against teams who use the long ball more, playing over the 'press' (which was one of the best ways to attack his Dortmund side), his defensive idea might almost become redundant at times, even risky.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #48 on: October 9, 2015, 12:32:01 am »

Firmino, Ings, Henderson and Milner will be on board with his pressing straight away. He'll try and get fast players in the team as well so Moreno and Sturridge are a shoe in as well. Sakho will be the main man at the back

Lovren, possibly even Skrtel, Mignolet and Lallana

Ibe has speed and plays as an out an out winger which Klopp likes. He'll be keen to get Flanagan in as well being a local lad, maybe Rossiter too?

3-4 months but we can still win in the meantime. A lot of our players will be able to adapt quickly to his style IMO

Top 3

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 9, 2015, 12:33:45 am »
I hope we will not have unrealistic expectations on Klopp's abilty to revitalise the team. The way we are reacting to his appointment shows the level of hope placed in him that he will turn things around. He will need time and a good dose of everything aligning in the right way.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #50 on: October 9, 2015, 12:36:18 am »
I hope we will not have unrealistic expectations on Klopp's abilty to revitalise the team. The way we are reacting to his appointment shows the level of hope placed in him that he will turn things around. He will need time and a good dose of everything aligning in the right way.

I think the players have already been coached well by Rodgers, it was the motivation and confidence that was lost. I think pressing from the front will be easier to implement as we have that type of player already. His main concern will be fixing our defensive issues

Offline TheRussianBiscuit

• custardcreamski
  • Main Stander
  • Hey hey hey its the biscuit in the house!
« Reply #51 on: October 9, 2015, 12:40:28 am »
Agree on Lallana. Many have said he'll struggle due to his perceived lack of pace, but his quick thinking and mobility in tight spaces should be perfect for Klopp's attack, which often overcrowds one side of the pitch to open up space on the opposite side. As you said he's also an excellent presser as we saw at Southampton where his stats for pressing actions and short sprints were off the charts. Modern football is less about raw speed over distance but rather about repeating sprints many times over the course of a game, so he should be a good fit. He also happens to be one of our better finishers too.

I disagree with the comment about Lucas lacking passing range. He's excellent at threading passes through midfield, and although he doesn't often play long balls those aren't really a regular feature in Klopp's teams where there's much more emphasis on one-two's and quick short passes, which Lucas is good at.

Mignolet will sink or swim based on how well he can adapt to playing a high line. If he struggles inevitable rumours linking us with Bernd Leno, Loris Karius, and/or Timo Horn will get increasingly likely to materialise.

Totally agree on Lallana. You've summed up my thoughts on Lucas, I know i've seen the aspects that I have described as lacking in his game before but just not often.  He has a great touch can read the game well and has the mind for pressing..its just... I'm not totally sure if he has the body - was Lucas in the team when we were at our best pressing wise in 13/14? I cant honestly remember.

The thing with Mig is he really is a good shot stopper but after that he goes missing and that's just not good enough.I really hope that was more to do with our defensive organisation, which I assume will be improved, rather than his overall gameplay.
"I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches"

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #52 on: October 9, 2015, 12:43:49 am »
Most teams struggle to break down deep lying sides. It's not a problem specific to Klopp and his preferred style of play.

Part of the strength of his focus on pressing and specifically gegenpressing (or counter-pressing) is that it's a very good way to break down those sides who sit back. If you catch them out as they try to transition then you immediately take opposition players out the game and make it easier to attack. That's one of Klopp's main solutions to facing a low block - numerical superiority in the middle, players close together making it easier to press aggressively when they lose the ball, then attack quickly when it's regained, with the full backs pushing up immediately on the transition into the wide space.

It may take a bit of time for his positional play to work but the beauty of his style is that the attacking and defensive phases are very interconnected. It also suits English football specifically in a number ways; being able to control space even relatively well immediately gains you an advantage in a league where not many teams can actually do that particularly efficiently. In a transition-based league, his particular focus fits immediately. What he might have to adapt more to is the fact that because teams are used to open games in this country, he might not be able to shock them in the same way Dortmund could do at times in the Champions League and against teams who use the long ball more, playing over the 'press' (which was one of the best ways to attack his Dortmund side), his defensive idea might almost become redundant at times, even risky.
Great post. I agree that it could be very risky to play a high line in the PL, particularly before the rest of his pressing system has been taught. We might have to brace ourselves for a few silly ciunterattacking goals as the team familiarises themselves with his system. In any case, it's good that we have two very quick and tenacious fullbacks, and Sakho is excellent as a last man (eg. see his performance against Arsenal last season.. although we lost 4-1 he was immense I thought. He's also fooled Rooney nicely a couple of times).

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #53 on: October 9, 2015, 01:00:28 am »
Totally agree on Lallana. You've summed up my thoughts on Lucas, I know i've seen the aspects that I have described as lacking in his game before but just not often.  He has a great touch can read the game well and has the mind for pressing..its just... I'm not totally sure if he has the body - was Lucas in the team when we were at our best pressing wise in 13/14? I cant honestly remember.

The thing with Mig is he really is a good shot stopper but after that he goes missing and that's just not good enough.I really hope that was more to do with our defensive organisation, which I assume will be improved, rather than his overall gameplay.
Agree. I should have clarified that although I don't think Lucas' passing skills are an issue (quite the opposite in fact) I should have said that Iagree with the othe part about his lack of mobility. He'll surely be tested in a high-octane style.

On second thought though, under Klopp Dortmund usually tended to compress the pitch, so players weren't necessarily required to cover large distances at a time, but constantly be sprinting short distances. Lucas never really had an issue with intensity, it was just the huge distances he was forced to run back and forth when the team is exposed that seems to have caused him problems. He could very well be perfect for a compact pressing system due to his excellent reading of the game and tackling ability, as with the game played on a smaller area he'll have more opportunities to tackle.  That's the optimistic view though :)

As I recall, in 2013/14 he wasn't that integral to our team in the second half of the season, as Gerrard played deeper, and he often struggled when played in one of the two positions ahead of Gerrard (such as at Upton Park).

Regarding Mignolet, the thing that frustrates me is the unforgivable basic errors he makes (or perhaps more aptly, actions he doesn't take) that put us under pressure. A perfect example of that is from the second half at Goodison last weekend, when a cross got deflected very high up in the air and was dropping towards the 6 yard box. Mignolet had all day to gather that, but instead he stayed rooted to his line and let the ball drop 4 yards infront of him, forcing Skrtel to fend off Lukaku. Such a simple catch turned in a calamitous defensive situation that no doubt unnerved the defense - not least Skrtel who rightly gave Mignolet a bollocking on the next stoppage for not claiming the dropping ball. It's quite frankly unacceptable that any goalkeeper above Sunday league level would leave such a cross for their CB's to deal with (and even in Sunday league it's a big no-no). Inevitably, Mignolet just doesn't look like he has the character (sorry to use that word) to play for us, if even a tame looping cross makes him cower nervously on the goal line.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 01:04:28 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #54 on: October 9, 2015, 01:01:07 am »
So where's he gonna play, then?   ;D

So to sum it all up we've just brought in a world class motivational speaker, best in the field,  to kick these players right up the ass?

Works for me. I cant wait to hear his plans and see him in action.

The intended or evolving make-up of the team especially will be fascinating but its a poor practice space the players are all gone away, assume there is short rest and lots of games when they do get back. Not that easy. Injured players. Middling form.   

For me, i just want Sturridge and Benteke to ignite together into total devastation for the opposition, and everything else should work out fine. Pretty convinced its gonna happen, too.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #55 on: October 9, 2015, 01:02:07 am »
We're gonna fucking annihilate everybody. Teams who sit deep, teams who attack, teams who have no idea, teams who want to fight it out. Fuck them. We're gonna fucking twat the lot of them.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #56 on: October 9, 2015, 01:19:20 am »
I can see why Klopp might feel he has a good base of players to work with. We still retain a fair few from the 4-star game away at Spurs in 13/14, debatably the most Dortmund-like performance we've seen, have a couple of Southampton lads who have learnt to play in a similar style, and the likes of Ings, Milner and Firmino.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #57 on: October 9, 2015, 01:25:35 am »
1. Which senior players do you think will flourish and/or surprise us under Klopp? Firmino will flourish Lucas will surprise

2. Which senior players won't fit in? Skrtel

4. How long will it take Klopp to get the team playing coherently in his system? 6 weeks

5. Where in the table do you see us finishing this season? 4th
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #58 on: October 9, 2015, 01:28:56 am »
A thread for hopeless nerds like myself who want to have sensible discussion about Klopp's imminent arrival  :wave

Here's a few suggestions to get the ball rolling, but feel free to branch out.

Benteke, Sakho, Firmino, Clyne, Moreno

Skrtel, Henderson, Allen

Do Gomez and Ibe qualify?

2 months

I think we're going to go down to the wire in the battle for 4th .... I'll be an optimist and say we find a way to get 4th.

Oh and I wouldn't be shocked if some lower half team fills us in 5-1 while the players are still learning the system.  It'll be important for supporters not to lose their shit and panic and even more important not to listen to mouthbreather pundits who are obviously going to bring up such nonsense like "you can't play a high line in England"
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 01:33:32 am by BEAST »

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #59 on: October 9, 2015, 01:47:27 am »
A thread for hopeless nerds like myself who want to have sensible discussion about Klopp's imminent arrival  :wave

firmino, markovic, benteke, coutinho, hendo, can
lallana, allen, Enrique,

Ibe (hopefully) Moreno (hopefully), possibly rossiter and chivirella in Europa league

Xmas we should have a solid defensive blueprint based on lovren, skrtel, and gomez questions

I see lucas can and hendo in front of our back four

with a bit of lucky results and some help from Chelsea and the like top 4 is stlll a possibility. top 5 likely scenario. Ithink he was brought in to get us some silverware this year and Europa league is a great way to get back into CL. if not that then a deep FA cup run at the least
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 9, 2015, 01:58:49 am »
Will he start his tenure here with trying to solve the problem that he had with Dortmund, in that his team struggled to break down deep lying sides?

His pressing tactic will probably work against the better sides but what about most of the games at home?

Teams only really sit back against us because our attacking play has been so pedestrian at times in the last 18 months, giving them plenty of time to get in position. If Klopp can get the right players attacking in the right way then we can always catch teams out over 90 minutes, same as we did in 13/14.

It'll be interesting to see who starts his first game, Lucas almost seems like a shoe in but then his lack of pace could be exposed if we go with a high line and lots of pressing. Similarly Rossiter might find his game-time cut down due to his lack of pace. I'm wondering if we could see an Allen/Can partnership, both are aggressive in their pressing, energetic and happy to get forward.

Lallana is another interesting one, he's not especially quick but he's good at using his pace to get into good goalscoring positions. Ibe on the other hand is very quick but has no clue how to use it, and might struggle to get in the team with that lack of intelligence.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 02:04:33 am by Schmidt »

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #61 on: October 9, 2015, 02:04:58 am »
Great post. I agree that it could be very risky to play a high line in the PL, particularly before the rest of his pressing system has been taught. We might have to brace ourselves for a few silly ciunterattacking goals as the team familiarises themselves with his system. In any case, it's good that we have two very quick and tenacious fullbacks, and Sakho is excellent as a last man (eg. see his performance against Arsenal last season.. although we lost 4-1 he was immense I thought. He's also fooled Rooney nicely a couple of times).

This is where I can seeing Gomez becoming a starter. The kid has so much speed to compliment the full-backs. If the opposition starts lumping the ball over the press from deep, having a defender with Gomez speed and skill on the ball will be invaluable, especially if he learns how to buy time for Sakho and the midfield to recover, ala Hummels. In all honestly, mate, I fear that Skrtel will struggle under Klopp. The high press seems to be the exact opposite of how Skrtel wants to defend, and he'll be at fault for some fucking awful goals if he reverts to retreating against the counter. This will be an interesting process to observe.

I'd also like to add that I'm looking forward to all the players having a clean slate.

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: October 9, 2015, 02:52:07 am »

Emre Can - I think under klopp, Can will occupy 1 of the two places in midfield...i predict he will become our version of Gundogan...

« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 03:13:06 am by ranimi »

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 9, 2015, 03:01:46 am »

Fermino, Benteke, Coutinho. Coutinho has the flair and workrate Klopp will love. Benteke I think klopp tried to sign. Fermino because he will be boss.

Skrtel and lovren, basically both can't pass the ball out of the defence, and are performing shit.

Gomez- See point 2, He will get his chance at centre back now Hopefully

2/3 months and well into the future when he brings his own players into the team.

5th of above, He needs his own set of players to fit into the system.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 9, 2015, 03:03:19 am »
I think Firmino is an obvious pick to succeed under Klopp. He managed against him in Germany when Roberto was one of the league's brightest talents. Firmino's skillset is perfect for Klopp's style as well.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 9, 2015, 03:11:05 am »
I think the best thing is klopp will come in, listen to the players and play them in the correct Positions!

He said what the hell is rodgers thinking when he was playing Sahin in the wrong position as well!
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #66 on: October 9, 2015, 03:16:32 am »

Skrtel and lovren, basically both can't pass the ball out of the defence, and are performing shit.
I agree about Skrtel, but not about his passing being the reason. I think he's actually become a pretty good player with the ball, it's when he doesn't have the ball that's the problem (ie. his dropping off, defending like an ice hockey defender would)

Lovren isn't too bad on the ball either IMO. He can pass quite accurately with both feet, including long cross-field diagonals - as long as he knows where to pass it to perhaps. Again, off the ball he can be a liability if he is left with too much unmarked grass around him. He becomes a good defender if the team as a whole defends compactly, either by defending deep (like we did at Stoke and Arsenal 2nd half), or when the team presses high together (like he did at Southampton). Playing an open style as we did under Brendan exposed him, but he could well show improvement of allowed to focus primarily on making tackles and winning headers (which he's very good at) instead of running around making big decisions.

That said, I would rather see a CB who can tackle AND be comfortable defending space. Lovren is a liability, but I think there could be a role for him still though if coached and used properly.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 03:21:20 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline The Klapp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: October 9, 2015, 03:17:50 am »
Joe Gomez & Emre Can will flourish. Klopp has a track record of developing young players... & he was interested in signing Gomez for Dortmund, plus the kid is versatile so should get game time. Can should benefit from having a German mentor.

Lovren won't fit in as he now doesn't have a manager trying to justify his fee to the committee.

It will take quite a while for Klopp to get his style in place & he himself has said it takes around a year. Dortmund had more training time as well with Winter break so he will have to adapt his methods.

I'm gonna be optimistc & say we'll finish 4th but I really don't know.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 9, 2015, 03:24:49 am »

Firmino, Benteke, Coutinho, Moreno.

Lucas, Lovren.

Gomez, Ibe, Brannagan may benefit. Rossiter might lose out.

About 3 months in short-term and a couple of transfer windows in long-term.

4th.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #69 on: October 9, 2015, 03:36:29 am »
In his first season at Dortmund in 2008 Klopp used a CB pairing of two 19 year olds (Hummels and Subotic), suggesting that he won't be afraid to stick Gomez in at CB if he thinks he's good enough.

It also suggests that Klopp likes to choose a young CB pairing right from the start who he can develop into stars over time, rather than go the safe route of sticking with veterans.

Maybe it'll be different at a club with better finances than Dortmund had in 2008, but I think it's quite likely that we'll see Lovren or Gomez at RCB, unless a new one is brought in. Another alternative would be to use Can there, or Ilori next season.

« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 03:38:47 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #70 on: October 9, 2015, 03:42:13 am »
I think the best thing is klopp will come in, listen to the players and play them in the correct Positions!

He said what the hell is rodgers thinking when he was playing Sahin in the wrong position as well!

You realize Germany has no problem playing Can at RB or Lahm in central midfield right?  This "correct position" stuff is a stupid British concept.

He'll play players in positions that he thinks gives us the best chance to win games.

Offline The Klapp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: October 9, 2015, 03:43:34 am »
In his first season at Dortmund in 2008 Klopp used a CB pairing of two 19 year olds (Hummels and Subotic), suggesting that he won't be afraid to stick Gomez in at CB if he thinks he's good enough.

It also suggests that Klopp likes to choose a young CB pairing right from the start who he can develop into stars over time, rather than go the safe route of sticking with veterans.

Maybe it'll be different at a club with better finances than Dortmund had in 2008, but I think it's quite likely that we'll see Lovren or Gomez at RCB, unless a new one is brought in. Another alternative would be to use Can there, or Ilori next season.

This sounds very encouraging! Gomez looks to have a really bright future, he has all the tools he needs. But he needs games, which young CBs rarely get unless they're in at full back.

It'd also be great if he brought Ilori back. It's unreal the way he's been shunted around without getting a chance

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #72 on: October 9, 2015, 03:47:04 am »
You realize Germany has no problem playing Can at RB or Lahm in central midfield right?  This "correct position" stuff is a stupid British concept.

He'll play players in positions that he thinks gives us the best chance to win games.
Yep. Guardiola recently played 3 fullbacks as his back 3, but no one complained about that. It's only when teams in England are doing it that it's frowned upon for some reason.

Can has played his best football for us at RCB, including playing well against Everton (apart from the goal). Ibe's best games have also come when he played RWB; and Rodgers was rightly lauded for how he moved Sterling around in the 2013/14 run-in. When you lose games those decisions start to look bad though, but there's nothing inherently wrong with players playing in multiple positions.

In fact, Klopp actually moves some players around too, notably Eric Durm, a player he converted from winger to fullback, and Grosskreutz who played many positions. His forwards were also very versatile (eg. Götze).
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 03:49:51 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 9, 2015, 03:47:19 am »

Firmino and Can the German speakers of course. Coutinho would flourish any/everwhere. hoping Sakho gets his rightful starting place back.

Sturridge possibly? i feel like he's a bit of a lazy diva (no hate, he's a brilliant player), not sure how he'll take to Klopps high energy system.

no idea. hopefully Ibe gets his confidence back and can show his kwalitees.

just get us playing coherently and i'll be happy. his system specifically wont start humming until after next preseason id imagine.

i dont think there's much between the sides that ended in the top 4 last season at all. thankfully Chelsea have imploded early and Man Utd are capable of tilting badly courtesy of Rooney/Depay not being at the races. we'll get 3-5, although i seriously think Everton might finish ahead of us if their starting 11 is kept fit throughout the season.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #74 on: October 9, 2015, 04:36:05 am »
Yep. Guardiola recently played 3 fullbacks as his back 3, but no one complained about that. It's only when teams in England are doing it that it's frowned upon for some reason.

No, it's not. Guardiola gets plenty of stick for playing players out of position in Germany. Then again, he could probably play Müller in goal and Neuer in attack with only 8 outfield-players in total and Bayern would still walk the league. It's all about success on the pitch. It's working for Guardiola so most of the people don't give a fuck where the players are playing. The same would have happened had we won 20 games on the bounce with Can at right-back even if he had made 5 glaring errors per game...
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 04:41:03 am by stoa »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 9, 2015, 04:48:52 am »
If you look at how Klopp sets his Dortmund team up to play I think these players who will flourish and work well.

GK

RB - CB - Sakho - Moreno

Lucas - Hendo

Milner/Lallana - Firmino - Coutinho

Benteke/Sturridge

We do really need another good centre-back who's good on the ball and can find a pass, while still being a good enough defender. Can for me isn't really that man and he's much more suited to either of the centre-midfield roles.

Clyne I feel sorry for because he was the perfect fit for how we originally intended to set up this season. But with the system change and now Klopp coming in, he's going to be playing a game that doesn't work in his favour. Klopp likes his full-backs to provide the width so that his 'middle-5' can press hard and aggressively towards the centre. Clyne is a great full-back especially on the defensive side, but his attacking game does leave a lot to be desired.

We also will need a better goalkeeper. Mignolet is just too unsure of his own game to be relied on. He can brilliant and rubbish all in the space of 10 minutes.

I think in January, if we can fill those gaps as much as possible, then we can finish strong in the second half of the season. Next summer will be all about adding quality in midfield. We've got hard-workers which we'll need, but we need players that can provide that bit of quality once we win the ball high up the pitch.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 9, 2015, 04:51:00 am »

Sturridge possibly? i feel like he's a bit of a lazy diva (no hate, he's a brilliant player), not sure how he'll take to Klopps high energy system.

Bit of an unfair comment. I don't think Sturridge is lazy at all. I'm just not 100% sure whether his body would be up to playing regularly in a high energy system.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 9, 2015, 04:58:51 am »
All these Sturridge comments about shifting him wide for Benteke or saying he won't fit in are doing my head in. We're talking about the same Daniel Sturridge, who has broken Liverpool scoring records, right? The same Sturridge often considered a top 3 striker in the Premier League? Scares the shit out of defenses across England?

Thank God Klopp is in charge and not some of you lot. Somehow Daniel Sturridge is still massively underrated and unappreciated by a good many of our fans.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #78 on: October 9, 2015, 05:24:42 am »
Was fascinating watching Germany v Ireland yesterday. Defence against attack. Wave after wave of attacks. Attacking team wastes loads of chances. Attacking team tires. Defensive team scores with their only shot of the game.
The good thing is apparently Klopp has been adapting his overriding playing style to deal with teams that defend with a low block. When Klopp arrived BD were not the team they are now and teams were more open against them, now they are a top team most teams defend deep against them. The majority of teams defend deep against us so right from the get go it is going to be less about counter attacks and more about possession and lightning fast passing triangles. 

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 9, 2015, 05:25:06 am »
All these Sturridge comments about shifting him wide for Benteke or saying he won't fit in are doing my head in. We're talking about the same Daniel Sturridge, who has broken Liverpool scoring records, right? The same Sturridge often considered a top 3 striker in the Premier League? Scares the shit out of defenses across England?

Thank God Klopp is in charge and not some of you lot. Somehow Daniel Sturridge is still massively underrated and unappreciated by a good many of our fans.

I don't think anyone at least not myself are underestimating Daniel Sturridge.

People are merely looking at Klopp's past preferred formation and the one he had the most success with at Dortmund, the 4-2-3-1, and seeing how Daniel would fit in to that with Benteke.

Also, the fact that shifting him "out wide" in Klopp's 4231 isn't really accurate as he would be an inside forward in the front 3 with the fullbacks basically wingbacks in this formation providing the width.

In the end we don't know what Klopp will do, people are merely having a discussion in this thread as to the possibilities. 

I don't think anyone of right mind is undervaluing Daniel.   :wave