Author Topic: The Boot Room - Who do you want behind the scenes?  (Read 18847 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Boot Room - Who do you want behind the scenes?
« Reply #40 on: October 7, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »
We dont just have english legends, hyypia, garcia, hamann etc. Even barnes is jamaican!!!!,

The names that are championed are typically the English ones though, Gerrard, Carragher, Fowler, hell even McManaman for some reason.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #41 on: October 7, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
It's a really interesting question this. Obviously for sentimental reasons, we as fans would like to have ex-players involved with the club, particularly those who have done great things in the past. The other attraction is the success of the original 'Boot Room' idea. The key point about that though was that it wasn't just ex-players parachuted into the club, it was an ethos and a culture of playing which germinated organically over many years.

For that reason, I would argue that it needs people who are already at the club to become involved and buy into the ideas of the current manager. If this is to be Klopp, for example, it might take someone like Touré or Milner who works with him and his staff for several years, and therefore is primed to take over when he decides to step down. Likewise the 'Boot Room' cannot thrive if we are chopping and changing manager every few years. It needs time to be implemented at all levels of the club coaching staff. It just won't do to bring in a new face every few years (or even, like this summer, new backroom staff) and then put the sticking-plaster of a club legend over it.

That's not to say, though, that there should be no place for those ex-staff or ex-players who have gone on and excelled elsewhere in management, or at least shown signs of being a good coach, but they should always be taken into the club on merit and with the full support of the new manager. If Klopp (say) were to look at Hyypia's time at Leverkusen, or to keep an eye on his progress in Switzerland and then decide to bring him in later, that would be perfect. To have an untried and untested coach foisted upon him simply because said coach was a very good footballer is very far from perfect.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2015, 03:42:34 pm »
Stevie Heighway, John Barnes and Jan Molby...

Particularly Heighway... very astute
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: October 7, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »
Wasn't there some issue between Heighway and Rafa where Steve refused to implement the boss' changes at academy level? Or is my memory borked?
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #44 on: October 7, 2015, 03:59:50 pm »
Continuity, Stability and Patience.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: October 7, 2015, 04:19:58 pm »
A new manager should bring in whom he wants for the first team structure having ex players forced on him who have minimal coaching experience would be daft.

The thing I don't want to see is yet another shake up of the academy, every new manager has a different view on it and I would argue that continuity is even more of a priority for the academy.  Ultimately they have let BR totally change the set up from Rafa's days and now he has gone.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #46 on: October 7, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »
Wasn't there some issue between Heighway and Rafa where Steve refused to implement the boss' changes at academy level? Or is my memory borked?

He had a major disagreement with Houllier, each has his own version of the story but in the end the manager has priority. The conveyor belt of talent that was widely expected when the academy was established on the back of Fowler, McManaman and Owen never really happened with only two players of note to come through after that (and one of them in contentious circumstances; Houllier claimed that Heighway didn't want Gerrard moving up to the first team)
Obviously, he has a lot to offer, but the set up is miles away from what it was in his day, so it's not clear what exactly he would be bringing to the table in terms of a full time role.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #47 on: October 7, 2015, 04:35:00 pm »
A new manager should bring in whom he wants for the first team structure having ex players forced on him who have minimal coaching experience would be daft.
Exactly! Nostalgia is not gonna give us new success.

I hope Klopp comes, and that he vitalizes the whole club by bringing in new people with fresh ideas. World class clubs need a global perspective and a global network to find the best players. If a new world class local lad like Gerrard comes along that would be brilliant, but let's not be naive about how unlikely that is.

In fact, the whole league seems to be in a need of better managers. It's by far the richest league, but the results in the european cups the last 5 years have been pretty bleak. 

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 7, 2015, 04:39:54 pm »
The one benefit for Klopp or whoever comes in is that they will be walking into a job where there is no player that has any real power or control over the club beyond the manager.  In the past people like Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher had far to much influence within the club beyond the manager .  There is no one at the club today that has that level of influence.  To bring someone in to the backroom staff that has that may be a negative for Klopp.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #49 on: October 7, 2015, 04:54:42 pm »
Might be insignificant, but I read earlier that Klopp's Bornian assistant doesn't speak Enlgish very well, so it might make coaching staff meetings a bit awkward if we have an English coach and Klopp is forced to translate all the time. For that reason alone perhaps Babbel or Hamann  are better fits, and depending on the level of his German perhaps Hyypia - though I'm guessing his German is fine as he worked at Leverkusen.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #50 on: October 7, 2015, 05:00:33 pm »
Might be insignificant, but I read earlier that Klopp's Bornian assistant doesn't speak Enlgish very well, so it might make coaching staff meetings a bit awkward if we have an English coach and Klopp is forced to translate all the time. For that reason alone perhaps Babbel or Hamann  are better fits, and depending on the level of his German perhaps Hyypia - though I'm guessing his German is fine as he worked at Leverkusen.
We'd have the same problem if we bring in Carra :-)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #51 on: October 7, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »

heard today that he's been helping out down at the Academy...hope it continues...knows his stuff and is a genuine link back to Shanks's boot room
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline warrenpe

• Kopite
« Reply #52 on: October 7, 2015, 05:15:51 pm »
Surprised that it took so long for someone to mention Babbel. Still have very fond memories of him. It turns out that, like Hyypia, he's currently managing in Switzerland, so he probably won't be interested.

Klopp's DoF at Dortmund, Zorc, made a record number of Bundesliga appearances for BVB, so he doesn't seem to have a problem working with club legends.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 7, 2015, 05:19:40 pm »
I don't get the idea that having ex-players in the dugout is inherently a good thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want some players involved at all levels of the club. But coaching is a particular skill - some might even say a science - and it doesn't simply emerge magically from having been a "legend" as a player. Just because Robbie Fowler coaches someone doesn't mean that they'd magically take on his characteristics as a striker. So I don't get the idea that we want Carragher or Gerrard involved in the boot room simply because they were wonderful players with us (and scousers along with it). They just don't have the experience. Rather, I think we need to find the best people in the world (some of whom will have been players, some of whom won't have been) to coach and motivate and look after our squad. It's not celebrity strictly come dancing, it's not about the "names" you recognise. It's about who's good at doing their job.

On the other hand, if a Man Utd fan happens to be reading this, ignore everything I've just said, it's bollocks. You need to get Giggsy in asap.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2015, 05:22:28 pm by Robotforaday »

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 7, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
There's no point bringing in ex-players as coaches if they aren't already familiar with the manager's way of doing things. The reason the old boot room worked and the reason current clubs like Barcelona have success promoting old players into management is the fact that there was an enduring philosophy that those players already knew like the back of their hand.

As it stands, the club is completely devoid of a stable identity. To his credit, Rodgers tried to instill that, but he was not successful in his time here. Now, we're back to square one, and especially with the season already underway, saddling the manager with a potentially distracting apprenticeship doesn't seem like a top priority.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 7, 2015, 05:21:27 pm »
Personally I would like to see the DoF from BVB at the club as he can purchase the players Klopp wants, especially as I understand that the Manager doesnt want to get involved in transfers.

We get to look at a club legend in the Main Stand every other week.  The greatest LFC servant alive, possibly ever.  Why do you feel the need to see Sami, or Robbie or Carra on the bench.  Just go with what the manager wants and hope he brings success.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #56 on: October 7, 2015, 05:35:05 pm »
I don't want Gerrard on the coaching staff. He along with most other people will feel it natural progression for him to be manager one day. After 3 or 4 years will he start to get itchy feet thinking he deserves a go? No thanks to that.

I would instead prefer someone like him on the recruitment team. He more than anyone must be frustrated at our poor recruitment over the years. He's very well known and respected so it would be good for him to meet with targets and agents etc as well. If a player isn't interested they probably won't meet up with Ayre for coffee. They might go with Gerrard though

Completely agree. Don't want Carragher or Gerrard anywhere near the set-up for those reasons. Too many ex-players think they are Guardiola. As others have said, we aren't a charity.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #57 on: October 7, 2015, 05:44:57 pm »
I just hope whoever the new manager is doesn't have people forced on him.

I would be perfectly fine with none of the names widely mentioned (Fowler, Gerrard, Carragher etc) being on the backroom staff.

Completely agree. Don't want Carragher or Gerrard anywhere near the set-up for those reasons. Too many ex-players think they are Guardiola. As others have said, we aren't a charity.
Agree completely.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #58 on: October 7, 2015, 05:47:34 pm »
I just hope whoever the new manager is doesn't have people forced on him.

I would be perfectly fine with none of the names widely mentioned (Fowler, Gerrard, Carragher etc) being on the backroom staff.
Agree completely.

Spot on

Very very rarely do we see great players becoming great managers.  Kenny was a massive exception.
Carragher doesn't seem too astute to be honest from his punditry. Hyppia seems more in the mold, but I wouldn't have a problem with any member of the backroom provided they know their shit.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2015, 05:49:08 pm by LFCDynamic »
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 7, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
Continuity, Stability and Patience.
Fuckers them 3, always gabbing off about the old days.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 7, 2015, 06:12:05 pm »
I'm a lot more excited about Klopp surrounding himself with a team who I've never heard of, who he trusts and has had success with in the past than any ex-players coming in.  Not remotely interested in the likes of Carragher, Gerrard or Fowler coming back.  We're striving to be a world class club, therefore we need world class coaches.  If those guys go off and prove they are, then great but Liverpool Football Club's first xi is not the place to have a go at coaching. 

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 7, 2015, 06:13:51 pm »
I don't get the idea that having ex-players in the dugout is inherently a good thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want some players involved at all levels of the club. But coaching is a particular skill - some might even say a science - and it doesn't simply emerge magically from having been a "legend" as a player. Just because Robbie Fowler coaches someone doesn't mean that they'd magically take on his characteristics as a striker. So I don't get the idea that we want Carragher or Gerrard involved in the boot room simply because they were wonderful players with us (and scousers along with it). They just don't have the experience. Rather, I think we need to find the best people in the world (some of whom will have been players, some of whom won't have been) to coach and motivate and look after our squad. It's not celebrity strictly come dancing, it's not about the "names" you recognise. It's about who's good at doing their job.

On the other hand, if a Man Utd fan happens to be reading this, ignore everything I've just said, it's bollocks. You need to get Giggsy in asap.

May the Mancs go for the bold words.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 7, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »
Rene Meulensteen!!

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #63 on: October 7, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »
I think the club need to go to some of our ex-players and ask them if they would be interested in becoming coaches in some capacity and work with them to get their badges, etc etc, including flying them to seminars etc. WHATEVER necessary to get them involved if they want to looking into the future (not under Klopp obviously).

Ambassadors of the club title is almost laughable. We need to keep the culture of the club going as much as possible.

Is Robbie Fowler, to name but one (because he's been successful outside of football) qualified 'enough' to be VP for example? Butragueno became VP after getting some sort certification from UCLA years ago.

There's got to be roles our ex-players can be involved in after footie (instead of just traveling around the world having bevvies with the fans). IMO the club has an obligation to promote this and facilitate it. Just a thought albeit a nagging one.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 7, 2015, 08:16:50 pm »
I wouldn't want us hiring new backroom staff purely out of sentiment. I think Klopp might consider Didi to be someone involved, out of all the old players mentioned.

Maybe he'd be interested in bringing Stevie back in the future in some capacity, assuming Klopp is still around in 3 years or so.
YNWA.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #65 on: October 7, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »
I love Didi, but you may as well bring fucking Ralf off Gogglebox in.

Every suggestion in this thread is horrible.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 7, 2015, 10:46:02 pm »
As I see it, I want Klopp if he comes in to start in whatever preferred way he wants. And not including any former players especially. At this stage I wouldn't want Gerrard or Carragher at the club, I just don't think they're ready for it. Mindset or ability. Gary Mac is a difficult one, can see him leave as well if Klopp is to fully decide, which is a bit of a shame. Otherwise there are a few of the staff that has been around the youth teams which by all records has been quite well respected at the club, so I'd maybe push for these to stay if so.

Offline irish musicman

• Anny Roader
    • bettersounds ireland
« Reply #67 on: October 7, 2015, 11:03:11 pm »
f we wanted a link to the Shankly era bootroom then why not go and ask Roy Evans would he be interested in doing some coaching. Most of the players he coached say he was a brilliant coach but never really got to grips with the title of gaffer. His knowledge and experience would be invaluable, I woulkd also like to see Steve highway back, but if its a coach for the academy were after I would love to see Rodolfo Borrell back in charge.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #68 on: October 7, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »
I'd imagine he'll bring in his entire backroom staff from Dortmund providing they fancy it.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #69 on: October 7, 2015, 11:06:55 pm »
I'd imagine he'll bring in his entire backroom staff from Dortmund providing they fancy it.
His backroom team needs to be his own team.
Still, would love to see some of the old heads back involved with the club in some capacity. What's Sammy Lee at these days?

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #70 on: October 7, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »
Shouldn't this thread be retitled Das Boot Room?

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #71 on: October 7, 2015, 11:11:58 pm »
His backroom team needs to be his own team.
Still, would love to see some of the old heads back involved with the club in some capacity. What's Sammy Lee at these days?

Isn't he at Southampton with Koeman? I would also like to see a few old heads there, but if it's going to compromise in any way what Klopp wants to do then it shouldn't happen. During the discussions though I'd be surprised if the idea hasn't been mentioned at some point.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #72 on: October 7, 2015, 11:43:17 pm »
Manager - Jurgen Klopp
Assistant manager - Didi Haman
First-team coach - Ralf off Gogglebox
Head of performance - Steven Gerrard
Head of fitness and conditioning - Robbie Fowler
Head of opposition analysis - Ronnie Moran
First-team goalkeeping coach - Pepe Reina
First-team development coach - Darren Farley
Head of physiotherapy - Jamie Carragher
Rehab fitness coach - John Bishop
Masseur - Sami Hyypia
Masseur - Igor Biscan
Kit management co-ordinator - Sammy Lee
Kit man/co-ordinator - Herbert of Liverpool
Sports science consultant - Jason McAteer
Consultant nutritionist - Jan Molby
Strength & rehabilitation assistant - Steve McManaman
Physiotherapist - Kenny Dalglish
Physiotherapist - Roy Evans
Sports therapist - Lily Savage
Performance analyst - Jon Flanagan
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #73 on: October 7, 2015, 11:44:55 pm »
Minister of propaganda - Fordy

That's back to back Fordy pisstakes from me. Sorry mate :D

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 7, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »
Manager - Jurgen Klopp
Assistant manager - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
First-team coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
Keepers coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
Conditioning and fitness coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in

September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: October 8, 2015, 12:15:33 am »
We won't see the likes of the bootroom again. It wasn't created or parachuted in it took time to develop and grow...

Along with an ethos and attitude of the time, people were just different than these days. It took time to nurture and grow boys never left the club and stayed on in some capacity..
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #76 on: October 8, 2015, 12:19:03 am »
Manager - Jurgen Klopp
Assistant manager - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
First-team coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
Keepers coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in
Conditioning and fitness coach - Whoever Klopp wants to bring in

Correct.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 8, 2015, 12:36:17 am »
Personally I would like to see the DoF from BVB at the club as he can purchase the players Klopp wants, especially as I understand that the Manager doesnt want to get involved in transfers.

Might be hard to get Zorc - I'd argue getting someone like Klaus Allofs who did great things at at Werder Bremen and now at Wolfsburg might be a goer if we headed in a DoF direction.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #78 on: October 8, 2015, 01:22:40 am »
Can we just change the title to Das Boot Room?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 8, 2015, 04:56:23 am »
this may sound a bit wrong but isn't there any good director of football that is unemployed at the moment?

Theres the saints former chairman Nicola Cortese that was mentioned back then. Might be good to see what he is up to and whether he can work with the next manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27498644

Interesting interview about the man. Never ruling out coming back to the premier league as well.