Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3299975 times)

Offline Stressmin

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #12000 on: October 9, 2015, 06:28:59 pm »

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #12001 on: October 9, 2015, 06:36:09 pm »
That's my view on things as well. I'd be very surprised if contact wasn't made between FSG and Klopp's agent fairly immediately after the season ended, or even before that (when he announced his resignation), and that they were basically told to come back in a few months. So, in reality, I think he has been preparing for the job since the summer, and it was simply about timing. Had he been ready to go straight into a new job, I think BR would have been gone after Stoke.

The big contra argument to all this is of course the reshuffling of the backroom staff. If FSG knew Klopp would be ready in November/December, then why go along with BR's wishes? The answer to that could possibly be that they needed Brendan to perform as well as possible - because Liverpool winning football games is in everyones interest. Give him the support he needed while being there, and give the players some new faces to look at and new voices to listen to. But, fundamentally, I think the decision to sack him was made several months ago. 

Agreed. I think they went through the following process in the summer:

- is anyone better than Rodgers? Yes: Klopp, Ancelotti.

- are these people available now? No: Klopp wants a break, Ancelotti having a year out, etc.

- is anyone better than Rodgers available now? No.

Conclusion: back Rodgers.

3 games in, and it looked pretty good. After that, we reverted to the Liverpool of the end of last season so they put the feelers out again, and Klopp said he'd join.

Didn't understand why Gareth was so negative about the fact we didn't recruit Klopp in the summer. Pretty sure they'd have brought him in if he'd been keen. Like with Sanchez, sometimes the other parties don't want what we/Liverpool FC want.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #12002 on: October 9, 2015, 08:33:19 pm »
No Anfield Wrap tonight? On Klopp Day? What`s going on?

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #12003 on: October 9, 2015, 08:46:12 pm »
No Anfield Wrap tonight? On Klopp Day? What`s going on?

New Pod just gone up now!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12004 on: October 9, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
Odd because I deliberately try and let other people finish speaking as I used to think it sometimes sounded a mess when there were 8 of us in a room.
I've never noticed once mate and I've listened since day 1 :)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12005 on: October 9, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »

- is anyone better than Rodgers available now? No.

Conclusion: back Rodgers.

Agree that this was likely FSG's thinking at the time.  And, without some kind of concrete agreement from Klopp that he would refuse all other clubs for LFC when FSG came calling (which he would be crazy to do), they had to plan that BR was the medium term option. 

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12006 on: October 9, 2015, 11:12:55 pm »
Love the way Gibbo pronounces "TAW Player".

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12007 on: October 10, 2015, 02:47:03 am »
Agree that this was likely FSG's thinking at the time.  And, without some kind of concrete agreement from Klopp that he would refuse all other clubs for LFC when FSG came calling (which he would be crazy to do), they had to plan that BR was the medium term option. 

Yeah. Can't just sack him like other clubs do and bring in the flavour of the week. I'm glad they decided it this way to be honest even if it is a little haphazard.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12008 on: October 10, 2015, 06:41:44 am »
Listening to the Ben Smith / Klopp podcast.
My view is that they may have gone for Klopp before the summer, but Klopp had openly admitted that he was taking 6 months off. So perhaps, he verbally agreed to talk to us again after a few months, likely from xmas onwards and not september.

He said in his press conference that he only had 4 of the 6 weeks off, but he is refreshed.
So i'd cut FSG a bit of slack on that one. Klopp wasn't ready.

Literally just listening to this pod now (catching up!) and my thoughts were exactly the same - kind of an assumption Klopp was available in the summer, so why not sack Rodgers then? It wasn't brutally critical of FSG at all, but it just seems plainly obvious to me that the reason this wasn't done in the summer, despite all the 'FSG were "scared" of Klopp' stuff, is that Klopp was simply taking time out and wasn't coming off holiday at that point.

Great stuff though in the main :thumbup

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12009 on: October 10, 2015, 08:53:31 am »
Riise gets way too much hate on TAW. He scored some great and important goals for Liverpool. He`s also has a true affection for the club and still talks very fondly of us, has a "You`ll never walk alone" tattoo, always talks the club up. He was a hard worker etc and played left back at a time we were good. I don`t get it.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #12010 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:34 am »
Riise gets way too much hate on TAW. He scored some great and important goals for Liverpool. He`s also has a true affection for the club and still talks very fondly of us, has a "You`ll never walk alone" tattoo, always talks the club up. He was a hard worker etc and played left back at a time we were good. I don`t get it.

me neither
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #12011 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:51 am »
He was a professional football player that couldn't (or refused) to use his weak foot. The own goal in the CL semis always springs to mind because of that very own fact I mentioned.

Personally I don't hate him, I think he was a decent player (until it was clear we had to upgrade there). More famous about his goals than his actual position though.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #12012 on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:06 am »

He was useless for the last few years he was here.

The muttering of "Fuck off Riise" was oft-heard when he played.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12013 on: October 10, 2015, 11:22:24 am »
He was useless for the last few years he was here.

The muttering of "Fuck off Riise" was oft-heard when he played.

So? He gave his all to the club, was a very serious trainer, scored some important goals. He still tweets about Liverpool and he is definetely one who has spoken well of the club. He has played for other clubs but even when he was at Roma it was no doubt that his true love in football was and is Liverpool, because it shone through in things he said. I think there are few players that are prouder to have been part of Liverpool. He`s not El Hadji Diouf.

The last sentence is exactly what is wrong with the Anfield crowd at the moment. Too many moaners. A lot of them local I might add. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:26:53 am by Raaphael »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12014 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:08 pm »
Good article this morning on TAW

Offline Abraham

• Anny Roader
  • Justice.
« Reply #12015 on: October 10, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »
Spent the morning listening to all the Klopp content, and checking out Redmen TV over on youtube. Loved it all. Thanks guys and keep up the good work  :wave

Offline Redondos Barber

• Kopite
« Reply #12016 on: October 10, 2015, 05:39:55 pm »
He was a professional football player that couldn't (or refused) to use his weak foot.
The country's coming down with them.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12017 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:24 pm »
Just been listening to the CityTalk podcast and I was surprised by some of the comments so far.  Something along the lines of "FSG have rolled the dice and if Klopp doesn't work out then there's nowhere left for them to go."  I don't know if it was meant in the way that if Klopp can't sort us out nobody can or if it was insinuating that it would be [another?] failure on their part.

Only about 15 mins into the podcast so will see if this point gets clarified.  I don't think anybody can can reasonably question the owners' ambitions after this appointment though.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #12018 on: October 10, 2015, 11:00:04 pm »
Disappointing to hear - will give it a listen tomorrow.

Can't understand a couple of negative comments recently, given the positivity surrounding the new manager. Maybe it's just a couple of individuals' opinions about the owners, which won't be changed despite them recruiting the best possible manager, and a history of backing all of the managers financially. Everyone's obv entitled to their opinion, just seems a strange time to be banging that particular drum.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12019 on: October 10, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »
Riise [...]

I've met him a fair few times and the lad just breathes Liverpool. He's kicking himself for not applying himself harder the last of his seasons, (he saw his spot as secure and started to slack off..).

He's got nothing but love for the club, its supporters and the city.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline The Red Machine

• Kemlynite
  • JFT96
« Reply #12020 on: October 11, 2015, 12:38:48 am »
I've met him a fair few times and the lad just breathes Liverpool. He's kicking himself for not applying himself harder the last of his seasons, (he saw his spot as secure and started to slack off..).

He's got nothing but love for the club, its supporters and the city.
Seems like he truly loves the club

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12021 on: October 11, 2015, 12:47:12 am »

Can't understand a couple of negative comments recently, given the positivity surrounding the new manager. Maybe it's just a couple of individuals' opinions about the owners, which won't be changed despite them recruiting the best possible manager, and a history of backing all of the managers financially. Everyone's obv entitled to their opinion, just seems a strange time to be banging that particular drum.

They're hardly in the minority with regard to the owners. The vast majority of reds I know are sceptical as to their true intentions and who could blame them. Why didn't they show this level of ambition 3 years ago? Why did they treat Kenny like utter fucking dirt? What's their net spend given the unprecedented commercial and tv deals?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #12022 on: October 11, 2015, 12:48:45 am »
They're hardly in the minority with regard to the owners. The vast majority of reds I know are sceptical as to their true intentions and who could blame them. Why didn't they show this level of ambition 3 years ago? Why did they treat Kenny like utter fucking dirt? What's their net spend given the unprecedented commercial and tv deals?
They approached Klopp 3 years ago, so the ambition was there. Not sure what other top managers were available, other than Rafa. The settled for less than 2nd best imo, but their first choice was ambitious.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12023 on: October 11, 2015, 12:59:21 am »
They approached Klopp 3 years ago, so the ambition was there. Not sure what other top managers were available, other than Rafa. The settled for less than 2nd best imo, but their first choice was ambitious.

I'm not buying that mate. Can you substantiate that because I've no recollection of reading that at the time, from any source, let alone a reputable one. It was all Rodgers and Martinez. Thankfully they're showing some ambition now but their only interest is financial, I think we can all agree on that.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #12024 on: October 11, 2015, 01:02:15 am »
I'm not buying that mate. Can you substantiate that because I've no recollection of reading that at the time, from any source, let alone a reputable one. It was all Rodgers and Martinez. Thankfully they're showing some ambition now but their only interest is financial, I think we can all agree on that.
It's been reported frequently now.
Just because it wasn't reported at the time, doesn't mean it didn't happen. We shouldn't expect to be privy to these conversations. FSG have largely been very good owners, their stubbornness in talking the more challenging routes to success has been quite a burden. let's hope that now we are on the right track.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12025 on: October 11, 2015, 01:05:18 am »

They wanted Klopp when they took over, he said no. After Kenny was sacked, they wanted Klopp followed by De Boer, both said no as they had just won the league

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12026 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:12 am »
Our club has been like a seive for years, rest assured if would have been public knowledge.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12027 on: October 11, 2015, 01:33:59 am »
Our club has been like a seive for years, rest assured if would have been public knowledge.

January 3, 2011 in the Guardian

Hodgson has to live with constant speculation as to his successor and today the Borussia Dortmund manager, ­Jürgen Klopp, played down speculation ­linking him with Liverpool job. "There has been no approach and there's no point talking about it," the 43-year-old said.

Dortmund, runaway leaders in the Bundesliga with 14 wins from 17 games, started a six-day training camp in Jerez, Andalucia this afternoon amid reports that their coach has been sounded out as a possible candidate to succeed Roy Hodgson at Anfield.

Their chief executive, Hans-Joachim Watzke, said there was no possibility Klopp might be persuaded to leave the Signal Iduna Park by the Liverpool owners, New England Sports Ventures. "There's been no official approach because it would be a waste of time," Watzke said. "Everybody knows there's no chance we'd let him go. We can but laugh [about this story]. Jürgen is a friend of mine and he has a contract until 2014. He would never break it."

January 10, 2011 in the Telegraph

Hodgson, put simply, never fitted FSG’s hopes for its investment, its Liverpool. Too old, too set in his ways. A dignified, honourable man, but not the thrusting, ambitious visionary to revitalise the club. From the off, FSG viewed him as an interim appointment. It has long been examining the credentials of other candidates, their identities and ages illustrative of how unlikely it would have been to see Hodgson complete his three-year contract. Andre Villas Boas, Jose Mourinho’s erstwhile assistant, unbeaten in his first season at Porto at the age of just 33. Jurgen Klopp, 43, the man credited with turning Borussia Dortmund into a force once more. Didier Deschamps, only 42, but with a track record of success at each of his three clubs.

---

Guardian May 16, 2012
Klopp has won two successive Bundesliga championships with Borussia Dortmund including a league and cup double this season, and his achievements on a modest budget in Germany would attract Liverpool's owners. Tempting the 44-year-old out of the Champions League amid fierce competition should Klopp become available, however, may be difficult.

May 18, 2012 in The Telegraph

Klopp, a two-time Bundesliga winner and one of the most sought after, progressive coaches in Europe, rejected Liverpool’s interest because he is intent on competing in next year’s Champions League as part of an exciting new era for his club.

Guardian May 21 2012

Liverpool will persist with an extensive interview process in the search for a new manager despite Frank de Boer becoming the third candidate publicly to reject the job since Kenny Dalglish was sacked last week. The Ajax head coach has followed Brendan Rodgers of Swansea City and Jürgen Klopp of Borussia Dortmund in declining an invitation to meet Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group, about the managerial vacancy at Anfield

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12028 on: October 11, 2015, 01:37:53 am »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12029 on: October 11, 2015, 01:41:10 am »
Reputable? Any Liverpool based journalists?

The Guardian piece in January 2011 was by Rafa Honigstein. I also remember Tor-Kristian Karlsen had tweeted about an approach at that time,  which was rejected, although the tweets aren't there any more, although they are referenced on a bunch of Liverpool fan sites from the period. Telegraph in 2011 was Rory Smith.  Guardian  on May 16, 2012 and May 21 2012 was Andy Hunter. Telegraph on May 18, 2012 was Bascombe.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12030 on: October 11, 2015, 03:22:41 am »
The Guardian piece in January 2011 was by Rafa Honigstein. I also remember Tor-Kristian Karlsen had tweeted about an approach at that time,  which was rejected, although the tweets aren't there any more, although they are referenced on a bunch of Liverpool fan sites from the period. Telegraph in 2011 was Rory Smith.  Guardian  on May 16, 2012 and May 21 2012 was Andy Hunter. Telegraph on May 18, 2012 was Bascombe.

So it probably did happen. All that shit is in the past now. Let's look forward as a collective. It's been a while since the fanbase felt that way.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12031 on: October 11, 2015, 06:40:38 am »
Leave the back pack at home.......
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12032 on: October 11, 2015, 09:05:29 am »

Yeah, I had to leave the podcast about 20 minutes in to head to bed, so I'll get back to it today.  But somebody made a pointed comment about Klopp's record of not breaking the bank on players and his talk of not spending money the club doesn't have.  The insinuation being that Klopp was brought in to manage on  budget.

It's a ridiculous claim and to be fair Neil pointed out that Liverpool is around the Top 10 in Europe for spending and wages.  I think they had an Everton fan on the show though so it could be it was the Bitter spouting all this shite.  ;D

As an aside, if you look at Arsenal, United, City, Real, Barca and Chelsea, they all have location, reputation, or finance counting heavily in their favour.  Many have a combination of those traits.  City and Real are essentially untouchable when it comes to finance; Arsenal have London; United is a commercial behemoth.  Some of them we'll be able to catch up to and compete with more effectively.  In order to match the others it's essential to get results and silverware.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:08:36 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline kwalitee, no?

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12033 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:44 am »
Had a trip to Birmingham & back yesterday so Mr Kwalitee (not a football fan) got the pleasure of having to listen to all the episodes from the last few days in the car. Thanks guys  :)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12034 on: October 11, 2015, 10:19:47 am »
Just been listening to the CityTalk podcast and I was surprised by some of the comments so far.  Something along the lines of "FSG have rolled the dice and if Klopp doesn't work out then there's nowhere left for them to go."  I don't know if it was meant in the way that if Klopp can't sort us out nobody can or if it was insinuating that it would be [another?] failure on their part.

Only about 15 mins into the podcast so will see if this point gets clarified.  I don't think anybody can can reasonably question the owners' ambitions after this appointment though.

The owners gambled an awful lot on Rodgers and have been forced to concede defeat.

They really need this appointment to work. I'm sure it will. They need to put the right things in place around him to make sure we get it right in transfers. That's what's killed us for too long.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12035 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:49 am »

Yet the media didn't cotton on about Rodgers till they actually fired him and no one knew klopp was nailed on to take over until the club leaked it everywhere to keep people quiet till it became official
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12036 on: October 11, 2015, 11:03:31 am »
The piece written by Andy Heaton about Jürgen Klopp is brilliant. He`s nailed it there.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12037 on: October 11, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
The owners gambled an awful lot on Rodgers and have been forced to concede defeat.

They really need this appointment to work.
I'm sure it will. They need to put the right things in place around him to make sure we get it right in transfers. That's what's killed us for too long.

This is very true.  I said when the Klopp stories first started gathering pace that this was Liverpool's last chance saloon: if Klopp can't fix us then nobody can.  But surely the only way he could fail is if the owners fail to back him, and that just does not appear to be on the cards.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12038 on: October 11, 2015, 11:28:29 am »
This is very true.  I said when the Klopp stories first started gathering pace that this was Liverpool's last chance saloon: if Klopp can't fix us then nobody can.  But surely the only way he could fail is if the owners fail to back him, and that just does not appear to be on the cards.

We, as supporters also play a part here, we can`t fail him. No more fractions.

On another note. Why is Rob Gutmann so quiet about all of this. Has he gone on a Klopp binge?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:30:33 am by Raaphael »

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12039 on: October 11, 2015, 12:12:35 pm »
The piece written by Andy Heaton about Jürgen Klopp is brilliant. He`s nailed it there.
Heaton is really knowledgeable. It's disappointing he's not on more podcasts, his voice makes me feel like I'm in a Prohibition-era speakeasy.