Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72762 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:39 pm »
Can I say if we win this one it's on like Donkey Kong?.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »
If we win this, then I'll really believe we have a great shot at the title.

Offline And0

• Boys Pen
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »
On form, I'd go against everyone else here and have Flanno at LB and Johnson at RB.. Johnson has been so poor this season, and although he was superb at LB for half a season last year I'd prefer him to get back to his best ASAP, and I think that'll mean a confidence boost which he'll get playing his natural position. Flanno can cover at LB, he's proved that this season.

I'd also go start with Allen over Coutinho in the middle, but I doubt BR will.  I think it'll be the same team that started against Swansea, with Allen introduced early in the second half again.

Southampton aren't the defensive force they were at the beginning of the season, we'll score goals on Saturday, I just wonder how many we'll concede. (It'll be less than it would be if we started with Kolo.)
"The most important people are your staff and your players. Never call me the special one!"

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:03 pm »
Can I say if we win this one it's on like Donkey Kong?.

Gotta say I'm with you here fellas. I don't think we can get the title, and I don't think we will beat Southampton. Just to good to be true, like  ;)
Believe and all that though  :scarf
Up to this point its been a pretty good season all in all, hasn't it?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:11 pm »
On form, I'd go against everyone else here and have Flanno at LB and Johnson at RB.. Johnson has been so poor this season, and although he was superb at LB for half a season last year I'd prefer him to get back to his best ASAP, and I think that'll mean a confidence boost which he'll get playing his natural position. Flanno can cover at LB, he's proved that this season.

I'd also go start with Allen over Coutinho in the middle, but I doubt BR will.  I think it'll be the same team that started against Swansea, with Allen introduced early in the second half again.

Southampton aren't the defensive force they were at the beginning of the season, we'll score goals on Saturday, I just wonder how many we'll concede. (It'll be less than it would be if we started with Kolo.)

I agree with your post except for the Kolo bit. If he plays on the left side, I could see Saints targeting him with their high press. I'd feel slightly better if Agger played this one, but only if Sakho isn't fit...
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:43 pm »
Southampton appear to be a bit of a bogey team for us under Pochettino. He seems to have us sussed. So it's going to be a really tough one.

If do somehow manage to win it I think we can dare to dream of winning the title. Just a little bit anyway.

Plus, a nice incentive for this one is we'll be 14 points ahead of the mancs, 15 with the GD if we win this one.

COME ON REDMEN!!!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
I'd leave Coutinho out. Think we came a cropper last season here and went too gung ho. Get Allen in there and use the pace of sterling and Sturridge on the counter. Put sterling on Shaw and Suarez on Clyne.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:25 pm »
So far we have avenged our loses when we played the team again - Arsenal and Hull - hope that trend continues.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »
I'd leave Coutinho out. Think we came a cropper last season here and went too gung ho. Get Allen in there and use the pace of sterling and Sturridge on the counter. Put sterling on Shaw and Suarez on Clyne.

I'd go with this. Pin Clyne and Shaw back. Give them something to really worry about.

Having someone like Coutinho coming off the bench could be a massive plus for us later in the game as well.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »
So far we have avenged our loses when we played the team again - Arsenal and Hull - hope that trend continues.

If we can avenge all our losses this season, there is a very good chance we could win the league.

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
After this game we have a 15 day break. We should look to use every single ounce of energy on this game because we'll surely be sending the players on holiday after for at least a week to recover and generally chill out.

From a tactical standpoint Southampton are our kryptonite. Their midfielders press really well and they love to counter attack. Gerrard struggles with players running at him in straight lines and Skrtel is diabolical on the half turn against players like Rodriguez and practically shits his pants at players who are physical like Lambert. Because of this i fully expect us to relinquish possession in order to hit them on the break much like we did against Everton at home. I'd like to see us play relatively deep with Allen along side Gerrard. Henderson slightly in front but not much further, a very compact middle with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling up front. I'd completely fuck Glen Johnson off and bring back Cissokho. If we're sitting deeper Cissokho is much more effective than johnson at cutting out the crosses. I also think Flannagan at right back would deal with Luke Shaw much better than Johnson.

------------Flannagan---------Skrtel--------Agger----------Cissokho------

------------------------Gerrard---------Allen-----------------------------

---------------------------- -Henderson---------------------------------

----------------Suarez-------------------------Sterling-------------------

------------------------------Sturridge-----------------------------------

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »
Well, he'll struggle even more to score goals from the bench.

Hell, even he's assists will be impossible.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2014, 07:04:08 pm »
I'd definitely bring Sakho in if fit. I don't understand the resistance to changing the defence because it's 'stable' when the defence has been incredibly porous.
Get Sakho in, get Enrique back hopefully and THEN have a 'stable' defence.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »
I would actually drop Suarez here, as he struggles to score goals lately and we need to be clinical and someone needs to make way for Extra body in the midfield. Plus he does't lose the ball away from home pretty often and it open for counter attacks for the opposition.

U can't drop Sterling here as his work rate alone will be very important plus the fact that they will leave space behind their defenders.

Coutinho is the creator and his vision and passing is very important both for Sturridge and Sterling.

Sturridge is undropable.

Suarez would be a good option from the bench if things go wrong.

Funny, is the Owl your real username or was that a mod change?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »
I'd definitely bring Sakho in if fit. I don't understand the resistance to changing the defence because it's 'stable' when the defence has been incredibly porous.

Better to give Sakho that two week break to fully recover than throwing him straight in. 10 games left after the Southampton game.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2014, 07:08:23 pm »

Naw this is one game (of 2 or 3) per season when I reckon Agger is worth a start.

Only until Sakho adjusts mind you.

And please lets have Cissokho in for Johnson.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »
Better to give Sakho that two week break to fully recover than throwing him straight in. 10 games left after the Southampton game.

I'd say it depends on how fit they think he is. If he's ready to go, play him. Absolutely. If there's still a little concern, either leave him out entirely or put him on the bench and give him a little cameo at the end if we're doing well.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:38 pm »
We'll bury them.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »

I'm not getting swept up by this talk of challenging for the title. No way Jose. This is one of three back to back away games, the other two being United and Cardiff. Even backs-to-the-wall Cardiff will be no push over. For me it's about CL qualification, then buying well to put in a stronger challenge next season.

Being a bit more objective about our strengths and weaknesses, I guess we'll get about 4 points from the 9 available from these three away fixtures. 5 would be great. Cardiff is the obvious place to bag 3, I expect we'll get a draw at Old Trafford and the trip to Southampton is the one I struggle to see any points from. They are a young, high tempo side who will press all of our possession within our own half mercilessly for 90 minutes. Gerrard (legs)and Skertel (composure) will be hounded. Building from the back will be a struggle. But thankfully for us they are not scoring freely at the moment, aren't in a great vein of form and if we can keep the ball away from our final third we should give ourselves a fighting chance. An early goal would help us settle and force their tactics a bit. Brendan get that pre-match talk right please - the lads need to come out firing on all cylinders.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:35 pm »
Its probably gonna be a loss or a score draw if we keep defending like the 3 previous matches

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »

Was just about to post the same thing. Southampton are indeed our kryptonite, so if we can get a result then that spells massive progress. I suspect we'll see the same team that played against Swansea. Can see it being a score draw, with the game panning out in the a similar way to the Villa one at Anfield.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »
At least we have Lee Probert for that game, not Howard Webb. (Maybe he's been spared for our United meeting.) I don't anticipate too many yellow cards and I think he conducts games well overall, maybe allowing a bit too physical play, but both teams like to play football, so I think it's gonna be a good game.

Another heart-attcak-ready-to-happen game. Easy win for us, 6-7 in 94th min, I reckon.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:09 pm »
Its probably gonna be a loss or a score draw if we keep defending like the 3 previous matches

So a high scoring win isn't possible then?

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:49 pm »
This just might be the hardest game that's left. Can't wait.

Offline antuan

• Main Stander
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:51 pm »
I'm not getting swept up by this talk of challenging for the title. No way Jose. This is one of three back to back away games, the other two being United and Cardiff. Even backs-to-the-wall Cardiff will be no push over. For me it's about CL qualification, then buying well to put in a stronger challenge next season.

Being a bit more objective about our strengths and weaknesses, I guess we'll get about 4 points from the 9 available from these three away fixtures. 5 would be great. Cardiff is the obvious place to bag 3, I expect we'll get a draw at Old Trafford and the trip to Southampton is the one I struggle to see any points from. They are a young, high tempo side who will press all of our possession within our own half mercilessly for 90 minutes. Gerrard (legs)and Skertel (composure) will be hounded. Building from the back will be a struggle. But thankfully for us they are not scoring freely at the moment, aren't in a great vein of form and if we can keep the ball away from our final third we should give ourselves a fighting chance. An early goal would help us settle and force their tactics a bit. Brendan get that pre-match talk right please - the lads need to come out firing on all cylinders.

But man for man we are better than them. In every position.

Don't worry that they are our most recent bogey side. How many times had we beaten Arsenal in the last few years until three weeks ago?

Be confident everyone. I think we'll do them by a couple.
Let's twat these twats.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2014, 10:31:05 pm »
So a high scoring win isn't possible then?

Southampton are better than us offensively, obviously

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:29 pm »

Both were at home though. Our Away form hasn't been that great. Id be happy with a draw but if we win...........I will believe as I think we will beat Man U in the next fixture.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2014, 10:35:07 pm »
I'd take 10-0 right now, to us, if you offered it to me.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »
I believe we will win this by a coupl of goals
We are learning on the job
For me Allen has to play with sterling dropping down to give us more solidity .
Really think the united result was good news for us also because they will have to have one eye on the return leg which is 3 days after our game.
For me I see 7 points which allows us to take a giant step forward towards winning this damn thing

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »
I'm more 0 - 10 seeing as we are away ;)

It's going to be a tough test, but if we can tighten up on our defence all over the pitch
by not giving up possession with sloppy passing, we have enough about us to win this one.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2014, 10:40:47 pm »
I'd take 10-0 right now, to us, if you offered it to me.
You greedy bastard, 9 not enough for you?!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
Last year a huge problem of ours was that our defenders and midfield could not cope with the press and as a result our performance was disjointed. For that reason I wouldn't start Cissokho as we need as many players who can help us pass through a press as possible - Agger turning up is vital to this.

If we can get that bit of our game right, I imagine that the attack will sort itself out.

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2014, 10:44:09 pm »
I believe we will win this by a coupl of goals
We are learning on the job
For me Allen has to play with sterling dropping down to give us more solidity .
Really think the united result was good news for us also because they will have to have one eye on the return leg which is 3 days after our game.
For me I see 7 points which allows us to take a giant step forward towards winning this damn thing

I'd be starting with Allen but I wouldn't drop Sterling. He'll help out defensively with their attack minded full-backs as well as being a major threat on the counter. I'd leave Coutinho out and go for a more solid 2-1 midfield with Allen alongside Gerrard and Hendo infront.

As has been said before if we beat Southampton I will start to believe, they really are our bogey team. Can see this game being high scoring, it would be massive confidence wise if we could win this one. Never easy having 3 away games in a row.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2014, 10:44:59 pm »
Our Away form hasn't been that great.

Compared to whom?

Away form:

Chelsea: 6 wins, 3 losses, 4 draws
Arsenal: 8 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws
Man City: 6 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws
Liverpool: 5 wins, 4 losses, 4 draws

So if we had one more away game win, our away form be great I guess? To match the current 1st place team?

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:12 pm »
Compared to whom?

Away form:

Chelsea: 6 wins, 3 losses, 4 draws
Arsenal: 8 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws
Man City: 6 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws
Liverpool: 5 wins, 4 losses, 4 draws

So if we had one more away game win, our away form be great I guess? To match the current 1st place team?

So when you think of the word "Great" I guess it means Average? Just because our Away form is of similar level to the other teams in the title race does not mean it is "Great". Id say our home form has been Great and our Away form has been decent. But its far from great.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »
So when you think of the word "Great" I guess it means Average? Just because our Away form is of similar level to the other teams in the title race does not mean it is "Great". Id say our home form has been Great and our Away form has been decent. But its far from great.

Maybe great home form coupled with average away from wins you the title?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2014, 11:01:10 pm »

If we have average away form, who has great? Arsenal I guess?

What defines having great away form compared to average? Being the best in the league in away form? Only the best team has great away form and everyone else has either avg or poor away form?

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2014, 11:26:42 pm »
Maybe great home form coupled with average away from wins you the title?

I love how RAWK just attacks me when all my orginal post said was our Away form hasnt been great? Is that not the fucking truth? Man Utd Arsenal and Tottenham all have superior Away form to ours. Nothing in my comment had anything to do with winning the title. It merely stated that our away form hasn't been GREAT is that not the fucking case?

We have a 38% Win record away from home compared to

Tottenham 64%
Arsenal 62%
Man Utd 50%
Chelsea 46%
Man City 46%
Newcastle 46%

We have the 7th best Away record when it comes to Wins yet people are arguing with my point that our away form hasn't been "Great"......

great
grāt/
adjective
adjective: great; comparative adjective: greater; superlative adjective: greatest

of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average

Average Away Points across the League is 15.5 we have 19

Average Away Wins is 4 we have 5

Is either of those Considerably above the Average?

Never said our Away form has been bad or shit never said we can't win the title with our away form all I said was it hasn't been great and that is the truth.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:28:36 pm by CanuckYNWA »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:27 pm »
Liverpool to win 3-1 is 14/1 and Liverpool to win 3-1 with Suarez first scorer is 50/1  :rollseyes   its like free money.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:41:23 pm by John C »

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:19 pm »
I love how RAWK just attacks me when all my orginal post said was our Away form hasnt been great? Is that not the fucking truth? Man Utd Arsenal and Tottenham all have superior Away form to ours. Nothing in my comment had anything to do with winning the title. It merely stated that our away form hasn't been GREAT is that not the fucking case?

We have a 38% Win record away from home compared to

Tottenham 64%
Arsenal 62%
Man Utd 50%
Chelsea 46%
Man City 46%
Newcastle 46%

We have the 7th best Away record when it comes to Wins yet people are arguing with my point that our away form hasn't been "Great"......

great
grāt/
adjective
adjective: great; comparative adjective: greater; superlative adjective: greatest

of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average

Average Away Points across the League is 15.5 we have 19

Average Away Wins is 4 we have 5

Is either of those Considerably above the Average?

Never said our Away form has been bad or shit never said we can't win the title with our away form all I said was it hasn't been great and that is the truth.

For what it's worth, I agree that our away form hasn't been great. Personally I think it's been pretty shaky - only Fulham, Stoke, Norwich and Cardiff have conceded more goals on the road than us. We're the top scorers away from home which is the reason our points total for these games is broadly comparable to other "top teams" (having said that we are still joint 6th with Southampton and Newcastle, and behind all the other teams competing for top four as well as Manchester bloody United).

That we are so free-scoring is a testament to this young side, but ultimately conceding 2-3 goals away from home as the "norm" is eventually going to damage us at some point. In 9 of our 13 away games we have conceded at least 2 goals, that's pretty shocking.

I'm nervous about this game as most of the bad streaks we have broken this season, we have done so at home and against teams with incredibly puzzling tactical approaches (why would you ever play a high line against us and then not learn from it after we repeatedly score?) and Southampton under Pochettino certainly seem to be a bit more wise. They have a combative midfield and we don't really like being pressed all that much, and our defence in particular struggle to play out under pressure - I can see a lot of panic and hoofing from our back line. I think Allen is vital in this respect to maintain a bit of composure and calmness in possession.

That said, if we play like we do at home for the first 20mins - come out and absolutely relentlessly go at them we are more than capable of scoring and then getting some joy on the counter against a team who like to press high.

Think this is our toughest away fixture remaining in the entire schedule, but if this team has anything it's belief and resilience in spades, so lets have it!