Author Topic: Why we’re not clicking and why we soon might  (Read 8201 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Why we’re not clicking and why we soon might
« on: October 2, 2006, 04:42:28 pm »
We were a defensive team. Now we are an attacking team. The transition has not happened suddenly, it has been fermenting since the day Rafa Benitez took over, but this summer there was a “tipping point”, to use the jargon. Rafa went out and bought pace. Pennant, Bellamy, Gonzalez. All three excited us because they possessed the commodity that Liverpool had been lacking for several years – electrifying pace up front and, especially, on the wings. In a 100-metres race Pennant would probably get bronze. That’s how quick the other two are.

Like a lot of us, I guess, I expected this pace to be simply grafted on to what we had already got – particularly our famous defensive solidity – and for the Reds to barnstorm to the top of the league by the end of September. But I forgot a simple truth. Alter one part of the organism and every other part is subtly changed as well. The welcome injection of pace has put different demands on individual players and right now some are struggling to adjust. That adjustment will come, I think, but it won't necessarily come straight away.

The ‘big pitch’

In the late 1960s the coaches at Ajax FC developed the idea that the duty of a team is to make the pitch big when you have the ball, and to make it small when you don’t. Most attractive teams have more or less played to this maxim ever since. 

At the moment we are doing the first bit reasonably well, but not the second. Liverpool’s pitch has been getting ‘bigger’ since 2004. Almost as soon as Rafa took over he deepened it when we had the ball. The defence started dropping off 10 yards and staggering itself which meant we were recycling play much more efficiently than under Houllier, when the back four maintained a straight defensive line even when we had possession. This season things have been stretched in other directions. We’ve already seen how Pennant and Gonzalez have effectively been able to widen the pitch, while Bellamy, despite his tendency to wander offside, is simultaneously lengthening it. In short there’s much more room to play attractive football. And periodically we’ve done it. Against Gala in the first half hour, against Chelsea at the Bridge, at home against Spurs in the second half, at the Reebok for 20 minutes after going two down. Not enough, and in one case too little too late. But even so there have been authentic signs of a formidable attacking team starting to emerge. 

Yet two things are holding us back. The first is that the extra space that’s been opened up in the middle of the pitch hasn’t been properly exploited yet. The second is that when we’ve lost the ball we’ve been less successful in making the pitch small again.

It’s surprising perhaps that we haven’t been able to exploit the extra space in the middle of the park when we’ve been going forward. It was always likely to take some time before our midfielders start pouring into the gaps like Valencia used to do, but I expected a touch more ingenuity than we’ve had so far. RAWKites will have their own preferred reasons why this isn’t happening – the failure to play Luis Garcia ‘in the hole’, the failure to play Fowler in alliance with a quick forward, the use of Gerrard on the right rather than in the centre, the tendency for Pennant to cross too early, the slow start to the season by Alonso, the profligacy of Sissoko when we have possession. All these theories have something to commend them I think. But so does the sheer fact of unfamiliarity. For what it’s worth I would play Garcia behind the centre forward(s) while maintaining our width, but I suspect (and hope) that the solution when it comes will be collective rather than individual. We have some superb attacking talent now, and it is up to all our players to familiarize themselves with the new demands and exploit the new opportunities that will result. In a sense I don’t care who plays so long as we develop an ability, as a team, to play as a unit further up the field and to retain the ball better around the opponent’s penalty box.

As for ‘making the pitch small again’ when we lose possession, well that’s going to be harder if we are committed to playing two strikers and two genuine wide men. Benitez admitted that after the first game and clearly he’s prepared to take a risk. It’s a risk that obviously can’t be mitigated this season by sending on Didi Hamann to set up his toll-booth in front of the back four. His disappearance, together with the use of genuine wingers whose very width makes it harder for them to tuck in and help the full-backs, mean that there’s a hell of a lot more pressure on Xabi and the defence this season. Ultimately, the best way to relieve that pressure is to keep the ball more – to be less open to the big capsize because a player has lost possession with all our forwards committed. At the moment it’s happening too often. Towards the end against Gala it was happening nearly all the time, and we lucky to get away with it.

That first touch

When a coach puts a premium on pace, like Rafa has done, it can spoil everything if individual players can’t match the speed of their colleagues. I don’t mean foot-speed. Not all great footballers have that. I mean the ability to instantly control the ball and the ability to think ahead before you receive the ball. The two are closely related. Indeed, in the sense that there’s no such thing as a good first touch if the player hasn’t already thought about what he wants to do with the second one, they are identical.

Some of our men have got a wonderful first touch. Alonso, Crouch, and Kuyt are naturals. Garcia's and Gerrard's are more erratic, but mainly because they are more ambitious. Others struggle. Especially in defence do they struggle. “So what?” some might say. “What does it matter if Riise takes two attempts to really get the ball where he wants it? He’s a defender and he’s got more time to deal with the situation than a forward like Crouch or Kuyt who has to control the ball and move it along quickly with Terry or Toure snapping at his heels”. Well, yes, perhaps that would be good enough for most English teams. Bolton, for example, can afford to have guys at the back who need that extra bit of time to control the ball. But only because Allardyce makes so few offensive demands of his back four. At Liverpool – this season even more than last – it’s certainly not good enough. That extra second needed to control the ball takes an extra second off what Gonzalez can offer you when he gets it.

John Arne Riise seems to me the biggest offender here. All too often he doesn’t seem to know what his options are until he’s got the ball sufficiently under control to look up. By then, of course, his options have narrowed. But Carra could do better as well. His distribution has improved no end under Rafa, but he still seems at a loss when offered a bit of space to run into. That strange hop he sometimes does when he’s carrying the ball forward is symptomatic of this I think. It’s almost a physical distillation of his indecision. With each hop he slows down, and once Carra has slowed down enough to stop he finds it impossible to start again. All momentum is lost. It’s more noticeable now because of Daniel Agger’s contribution to the team. Here is a player who usually knows what his options are before he gets the ball, and whose technique is so sound that his first touch is often good enough to completely change the picture in front of him. (Pepe Reina is another defensive player who has the ability to think aggressively ahead and buy his forwards that extra second, regardless of the fact that he was so abysmally punished on Saturday for this very skill). Carra may never acquire this level of instinctive understanding but with his proven ability to learn and develop he has the capacity, surely, to contribute more to the pace of Liverpool’s play than he has done so far this season. 

The good news for Liverpool is that we are still not too far off the top despite our stuttering start. The better news is that we have acquired players over the summer who are adventurous and technically excellent  (I include Aurelio in that too). The expected news, I hope, is that things will soon click. When they do we should be quite a proposition.

© yorkykopite 2006
« Last Edit: October 2, 2006, 05:15:19 pm by Rushian »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Why we’re not clicking and why we soon might.
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2006, 04:51:25 pm »
great post that, enjoyed it.

I haven't got the heart for another transitional season so lets hope it all clicks into place soon..
« Last Edit: October 2, 2006, 04:55:37 pm by davidg »
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2006, 04:56:59 pm »
Interesting read. While I see this working against teams who allow you to play a bit it's precisely against teams like Bolton that we have troubles breaking down their defense.

Maybe it's control, maybe it's speed. We'll see what happens next.

Good post.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2006, 05:07:45 pm »
What a genuinely refreshing post. I enjoyed reading that.

Definitely agree with the point about exploiting space. For me, both Pennant and Gonzalez's play isn't sufficiently well integrated at the moment. The ball goes out wide to one of them but then it seems as if everyone else runs off in different directions expecting Pennant or Gonzalez to do something magical with it. Even when we had players like Barnes or Houghton, Beardsley would always offer himself as an option. Or if there wasn't an option on, the ball would be recycled back into the centre mid. At the moment, neither one of them quite seem to have the composure to know what to do when there isn't an option open them them, and instead they try and do too much with it or lose possession. Kewell's certainly alot more composed in those situations, as is Gerrard when he's playing RM.

I would love see a genuine 'second striker' at the club in the mould of Beardsley, Dalglish or Bergkamp who can help 'knit' the play together in the final third but given that there's no sign of that happening anytime soon, I'd be interested to see how the team functions with Alonso playing further foward in an attempt to help link the team's play together more effectively and create more penetrative openings. You'd also had the benefit of his shooting ability more often.

Benitez has talked about playing Sissoko higher up the pitch because of his ground coverage and ball winning ability enables us to dominate more of the play but I don't quite buy into that because I think Alonso's game suffers as a result. We often seem to end up with Sissoko in front of the opposition's penalty area (with the onus on him to play an killer pass) rather than Alonso. Besides, you can have all the possession in the world, but if you can't use it to open up the opposition, its a bit pointless.

Offline art03

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2006, 05:08:22 pm »
Best summary of what we are trying to achieve this season. Very very nice piece, thought provoking and very educational.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2006, 05:12:43 pm »
Good post.

One of the benefits of playing wide men and having pace is that you stretch the opponents across the pitch making more gaps and space in between the midfield and the back 4.

One of the reasons we are not exploiting this is that neither of our central players are capable of getting in behind the opponents midfield and causing problems which these gaps allow. Xabi and Momo have great qualities but hitting the box ain't one of them.

Rafa has some problems as I don't see Pennant really contributing that much and yet he clearly likes him on the right. I can't see Pennant scoring 3 goals this season so that's 3 of the midfield who aren't scoring.

Since we don't score from set pieces then our defenders won't contibute much then it's easy to see where our problems lie.

Only 3 players are capable of scoring a goal with any regularity. Gerrard whose goals will come and the 2 strikers. One of whom (Bellamy) isn't at the races yet.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2006, 05:14:04 pm »
Great post.

Perspective, we have lost 3 games already but if deserved to come out of all 3 of those with atleast a draw, maybe more in some, we are not getting what we deserve at the moment IMO, that will change soon.

The time to worry would be if were were losing and not deserving anything out of games like we did 2 years ago, as soon as the signings settle in we will pick up the points, we got away with the wkend defeat somewhat with Chelsea drawing.

The break has come at a good time for us and im sure we will be much better for the Blackburn game and then the Mancs.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2006, 05:17:24 pm »
can i add that one of the reason we seem to be struggling in fornt of goal is we are putting aimless balls in and also trying to tee up too many shots from the edge of the box, most of our chances on saturday were from Alonso or Gerrard being set up from 20 yards out.
We need to get the midfield and in particular Gerrard linking up with Kuyt better as Kuyt is the striker who can link midfield and attack the best.

Offline Livani

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2006, 05:17:51 pm »
I agree about Riise. I think his goals overshadow his other facets i.e. poor first touch and distribution and bad positioning. Our left overall is a problem really. We got hammered down there against Gala (Garcia left Aurelio 2 on 1 numerous times) and conceded from a cross down that side against Bolton.

Offline dobbadobbs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice..
Re: Why we’re not clicking and why we soon might
« Reply #9 on: October 2, 2006, 05:23:10 pm »
Excellent post - a fair way from the criticisms that have been posted recently, nice to see some positivity.
'Rome wasn't built in a day...but milan was destroyed in 7 minutes'

Xbox Live - Dobbadobbs

Betfair referral code, no catch...£20 each for both of us FWHVCRTRF <----enter this on registering...

Offline feet-stick-out-the-bed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2006, 06:18:38 pm »
great post

really insightful and intuitive. I been thinking something similar although without the eloquence. I think that this is our true season of transition. I think his first season was to stop the rot and bring in a few players, assess the squad and hope for the best. Well the best happened in Istanbul, beyond even Rafa's expectations i think. The second season could have been about making the pitch "small" as you say, Rafa seemed to be obsessed with being compact. And he brought in more solid defensives types so as to makes us hard to beat. Now this season, is where he tries to execute his vision, to quote you "making the pitch big in attack and small in defense", the final piece of team building. The players being drilled on both modes of Rafa's game, so i don't expect us to change anything soon as i think Rafa's will accept a season of dissapointment, rather than compromise his vision and grand design. Although it may happen sooner rather than later, and if it clicks we will be a real force.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2006, 06:20:35 pm »
I'd be interested to see how the team functions with Alonso playing further foward in an attempt to help link the team's play together more effectively and create more penetrative openings. You'd also had the benefit of his shooting ability more often.

Same here. But I wonder if we'll ever truly find out. There are moments when Alonso joins an attacking play and because of the speed of his thought and the excellence of his technique things open up. Souness used to join attacks like this all the time - admittedly in a team that had a lot of composure. I'd like to think Xabi will be allowed to develop this side of his game.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline scarse

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2006, 06:36:16 pm »
Excellent Post.The part about 'touch'is very insightful and absolutely true.

Offline Master ScouseKnee

• Kopite
  • Oh, the sun is on the Harbour
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2006, 06:54:28 pm »
I really enjoyed reading that, thank you.

I would say I agree with most of it - there was one thing I'm yet to be convinced of though and that is Kuyt's natural first touch. From what I have seen so far, his instant control is not perfect although I think he more than makes up for it with other attributes.
Bored of manufactured consent

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14 on: October 2, 2006, 07:09:25 pm »
Excellent piece Yorky, a refreshing dose of sense after some of the nonsense written at the weekend.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #15 on: October 2, 2006, 08:48:12 pm »
We do look like a side who are on the verge of something.

Like Yorky has pointed out, the main problem is that we have not maintained our defensive solidity of last season.

Last season was an amazing effort in the league, I think we need to remember that. 

We need to build upon last season.

We need to find the balance.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #16 on: October 2, 2006, 09:20:09 pm »

It struck me that this could be interpreted as somewhat reminiscent of Houllier's botched attempts to introduce width and attacking fluidity to our play with the signings of Diouf, Cheyrou and, a year later, Kewell. He too had built his house on the bedrock of defensive solidity and found the change to more positive football difficult. When it all went tits up and he tried to change back to being tight, he found the genie was out of the bottle and he couldn't do either.

Hopefully, though, there are enough differences to believe that that won't be repeated.

First, the 3 main players he bought to expand our play were cock, shit and injured respectively. I think that the players Rafa's bought to open us up have the requisite quality to perform at the top level, once the initial teething troubles are ironed out.
Second, Houllier stifleed our best attacker's juices by playing Gerrard too deep too often. Rafa has bent over backwards to have Gerrard attack.
Third, although both managers built on defence, Ged's philosophy was more defend deep and counterattack or kick the ball away, Rafa's has always been about squeezing space and retaining possession - I think it is easier to go from a passing, defensive side to a passing attacking side than to make the transition from a deep lying counterattacking side who conceed possession to easily.
Fourth, Rafa is Rafa, he has his own ideas and methods, and they have worked in both Spain and here incredibly well.

"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2006, 11:40:37 pm »
Great post. Good to hear some common sense and perspective amongst the nonsense being spouted currently.

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2006, 01:58:45 am »
Great post Yorky, I think we're closer to 'clicking' than some might think!  Forget the knee jerks reactions and misguided complaints about rotation, if you take a step back and look at what we've done so far this season the signs are definately all good.

Consider apples for apples....

How are we doing when compared to our competitiors for the title?

The following stats have been collated from ESPN's Soccernet match reports on our first seven league games of the season.. I've highlighted the areas where we are in front and underlined those we are behind.

Liverpool

....................................................For..........Against......Factor
Shots.......................:...................115.............48..........2.40x
On Goal....................:....................49.............25..........1.96x
Fouls........................:....................97.............88..........1.10x
Corner Kicks.............:......................57.............11..........5.18x
Offsides....................:....................29.............20..........1.45x
Time of Possession....:.....................52%.........48%.......1.08x
Yellow Cards.............:.....................11..............8...........1.38x
Red Cards................:......................0..............1............n/a
Saves......................:.....................21............50...........0.42x

Goals.......................:......................8..............8...............1x

Chelsea

....................................................For..........Against......Factor
Shots.......................:....................96.............56..........1.71x
On Goal....................:....................41.............24..........1.71x
Fouls........................:....................76.............98..........0.78x
Corner Kicks.............:......................32.............28..........1.14x
Offsides....................:....................18.............13..........1.38x
Time of Possession....:.....................53%.........47%.......1.12x
Yellow Cards.............:.....................10.............15...........0.67x
Red Cards................:......................1..............1............1.00x
Saves......................:.....................41............36...........1.14x

Goals.......................:.....................12..............4...............3x

Man Utd

Shots.......................:...................138.............61..........2.26x
On Goal....................:....................61.............32..........1.91x
Fouls........................:....................78............102..........0.76x
Corner Kicks.............:......................52.............24..........2.17x
Offsides....................:....................23.............17..........1.35x
Time of Possession....:.....................57%.........43%.......1.12x
Yellow Cards.............:......................8.............10...........0.80x
Red Cards................:......................0..............0............1.00x
Saves......................:.....................31............45............0.69x

Goals.......................:.....................14..............4.............3.50x

What do they show? IMO they show that even though we've had perhaps the hardest start to the season out of the three teams studied, we've done really well to create more chances that any other team while limiting those teams to the fewest chances on our goal. Pepe (thanks to the boys at the back) has made the least number of saves even if you take into account the additional four goals we've conceded.

We've have the best factor of shots both in total and on goal out shooting our opponents by a factor of 2.40 and 1.96 respectively. Only Man Utd has a higher number of total shots and those on target but when you consider the opponents they've played and the amount of shots they had to defend we still out perform them statistically.

Perhaps one of the most controversial areas is that of free kicks. I dont consider us a dirty team but for some reason we've had 97 fouls and 11 yellow cards awarded against us compared with 76/10 for Chelsea and 78/8 for Man U. The refs seem to be a bit more lenient on our opposition too. We've only been awarded 88 freekicks in our favour compared to 98 for Chelsea and a whopping 102 for Man Utd. Granted that you perhaps expect Spurs, Chelsea and to a lesser extent the Hammers and Newcastle to be quite disciplined and not give too many fouls away. Games against Bolton, Sheffield and the Blueshite led me to expect that we'd be a bit closer in the fouls won count though.

Room to improve? Of course, there always is. Particularly, (as was the case last year) our goal return from our huge tally of corners is abysmal. We really need to start capitalising on these chances more. Although we've hit the wood work 7 times in 7 games (for a potential 6 extra goals) I dont think any of these came from corners did they?

So to follow on with the optimism already outlined in this thread, I think if we can keep up these kind of performances, our luck will break soon and the lads confidence will rise leading to even better performances and meaning that our winning streak is just around the corner!

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2006, 05:51:35 am »
Good post, nice to get some positivity back.

It's very true, we may not be winning games consistently now, but we are showing signs that we are really on the verge of something. What you said about, Pennant and Gonzales have made the pitch wider, while Bellamy has lengthened it, is a good point. The interesting part is, now that the pitch is bigger when we attack, how does Rafa use that space in terms of tactical aproach.

I read Rafa's profile on Wikipedia, it said that in the summer of 1990 he taught at UC Davis in California, I've also read somewhere that he has studied Basketball tactic's, it seems Rafa is looking to use Triangle offense, also known as the Triple-Post offense, is an offensive strategy in basketball. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_offense

The system's most important feature is the sideline triangle created between the center, who stands at the low post; the forward, at the wing, and the guard at the corner. The team's other guard stands at the top of the key and the weak-side forward is on the weak-side high post — together forming the "two-man game."

After watching some video of a few matches, it seems our full-backs are being in couraged to over-lap and get to the corner flag. That leaves the wide midfielder to stay on the wing and the forward or central midfielder comes out to the corner of the penalty box to create the triangle. Our other attacking players then take up positions around the penalty box.

You can see in Rafa's previous formations this. Look at the 4-2-3-1 formation, it contains triangles bettewn the two defensive midfielders and the three attacking midfielders. So you can understand why this is his preferred formation, and the one that helped with Valencia two La Liga titles and U.E.F.A Cup in three years.

I like to think that we will ended up as good as Rafa's Valencia, at the moment though it's a case of the players still learning what expected of them.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2006, 06:18:40 am by kaz1983 »

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 3, 2006, 06:43:34 am »
Very good post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree that several players take a second too long to make decisions and hence nullify the pace of Gonzalez/Pennant/Bellamy we should exploit. The other player who wasn't mentioned and who has been getting a lot of ball is Momo Sissoko. During the Bolton game, twice he was in the position of point guard during the counter-attack and he took too long to release the ball to other players who were already in position. Momo lost the ball in the end. Garcia would have been the perfect player for this kinda stuff. In fact, he's provided quite a few superb assists this season.

Offline Carrammba

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: October 3, 2006, 08:04:41 am »
Excellent Post mate.

The positivity is absolutely buzzing.
If things click and they will, we are in for a ride of our lives.

Hubba Hubba  :scarf  :champ

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #22 on: October 3, 2006, 01:42:14 pm »
Well analysed and well presented post. Just goes to show how hard it is for Rafa to teach his players all these techniques and how tha players have to adapt them to different playing styles depending on opponents. We can see the importance of 'making the pitch smaller again' when we lose possession as its when we got hurt by the opposition despite controlling the majority of the game.

We can see that Rafas methods are easier to implement against strong and technical sides but very hard to implement against physical 'bish-bosh' style teams, like Bolton ;D That is why he needs a varied choice of players to suit different teams we face.

I think we'll see our best football against the better teams in England and Europe, and struggle a bit against full-blooded English teams. What Rafa is trying to build here will take its time but we have already seen gradual improvement since he arrived, and our team oozes POSITIVITY!
Doubters to Believers

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 4, 2006, 01:06:49 pm »
some fair analysis but I don't see any connection between it and us supposedly not clicking...people are searching too hard for answers...

we've been dominating games, even ones we've lost, and have suffered from some uncharacteristic mistakes from players at the back which have been punished at a higher rate than you could expect by the law of averages (see TheOracle's stats)...arguably you could call this "bad luck"

either said players, particularly Carragher, have suddenly become bad overnight, which the mantra "form is temporary, class is permanent" suggests is not the case, or our luck will change very shortly...take your pick...I know where I stand...

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #24 on: October 6, 2006, 09:54:16 am »
When we speak of Bellamy increasing the length of the pitch with his pace and Pennant and Gonzalez making the pitch wider by providing width then surely all this should mean that our midfielders should have more time and space in the middle of the park?

royhendo

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:21:44 am »
this deserves a bump i reckon - we could slot in a few names in the squad now and the same points stand. a great bit of writing - thanks yorky! :wellin

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 01:30:09 am »
holy 'back from the dead' batman!

We're a bit wider now, thank God, with Riera on the left.  It certainly feels he's got some decent pace to him.  Seen some sloppy fouls from him so far this season though.  God, Skrtel was doing great, I certainly hope Agger can keep up.  I don't particularly fancy the persistant "down the side, launch into the middle" approach and I think the gameplan will be different against Wigan.  Now with Torres out, yikes...  Robbie and Kuyt are gonna step up though. 

Last season I just couldn't help thinking of the massive amount of rotation as a bad thing.  Rafa gets paid A LOT of money to be the boss though and he is a wonderful tactician, but we still drew 13 times and that's what killed us.  Through the last season, I felt more and more that we were just not lucky.  Seems like now our puzzle is coming together very nicely.  We have a world class side, I think we can have a more than decent go this year as long as everyone stays healthy.

If I don't forget, I'll throw together all the stats from first half and second half of the season last year like TheoRacle did.

Let's just put it all on the owners for last year, stooge owners and their drama.  Unfortunately, we lost to chels to miss our spot.  We could've destroyed those mancs as tired as they looked in the final  :butt

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 01:51:37 pm »
holy 'back from the dead' batman!

We're a bit wider now, thank God, with Riera on the left.  It certainly feels he's got some decent pace to him.  Seen some sloppy fouls from him so far this season though.  God, Skrtel was doing great, I certainly hope Agger can keep up.  I don't particularly fancy the persistant "down the side, launch into the middle" approach and I think the gameplan will be different against Wigan.  Now with Torres out, yikes...  Robbie and Kuyt are gonna step up though. 

Last season I just couldn't help thinking of the massive amount of rotation as a bad thing.  Rafa gets paid A LOT of money to be the boss though and he is a wonderful tactician, but we still drew 13 times and that's what killed us.  Through the last season, I felt more and more that we were just not lucky.  Seems like now our puzzle is coming together very nicely.  We have a world class side, I think we can have a more than decent go this year as long as everyone stays healthy.

If I don't forget, I'll throw together all the stats from first half and second half of the season last year like TheoRacle did.

Let's just put it all on the owners for last year, stooge owners and their drama.  Unfortunately, we lost to chels to miss our spot.  We could've destroyed those mancs as tired as they looked in the final  :butt

As a partnership they have stepped up to the plate, they just need to pick up where they left of...