Author Topic: Jonjo - if the cap fits, wear it  (Read 16789 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Jonjo - if the cap fits, wear it
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
As the ebullient limbs of Steven Gerrard begin to creak louder, the need to strike oil becomes more frantic. It is a scenario hard to contemplate for a fan base that has watched Gerrard maraud through midfields for well over a decade, but the 32-year-old will not be around forever. He may not even be around much longer.

As such, the search for his successor has begun; the crossfire's currently sighted on Jonjo Shelvey, who now wears his first England cap after a substitute appearance against San Marino. Like Gerrard, his international debut came aged 20; like Gerrard at a similar age, he's a versatile midfield player with an instinct to be amongst the best in his profession. The cap, it seems, fits well.

Herein lies the problem: there is only one Steven Gerrard, both as an ambassador of the football club and with the ball at his feet. The defining image of the past 20 years of Liverpool’s history is the local lad done good lifting the biggest prize in club football; the highlight reel of that era is littered with his intensity, commitment and ability.  Another Steven Gerrard would be priceless, even without Fenway Sports Group's stringent financial control considered; to expect that to be Jonjo Shelvey is unfair.

Such are the size of the boots that need filling, perhaps it's time to look for a new model altogether. Brendan Rodgers is a manager who believes in a system over any particular star. He wants his midfield three multi-faceted and multi-functional and his midfielders should not have to grab the game by its collar, because the collar should already be under control. It will not be one player replacing Gerrard, but three. Shelvey, who was handed a new long-term contract just 10 days into Rodgers' reign, figures to be one of those.

Liverpool must hope that Shelvey is not afraid of Gerrard's shadow. He's certainly not afraid of his own, a trait shaped from his time Arsenal and West Ham as a young boy before making his first team debut at Charlton as a 16-year-old. It's an education that has helped his style of play, too: his ability to find space without the ball is matched by his ability to keep his side on the front foot with it; his touch is also far more cultured than the average English midfielder.

That is how he has started life under Rodgers. Before his sending off against Manchester United, he had impressed as Lucas' replacement in the 2-2 draw with Manchester City, as well as putting in an intelligent performance against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light. He has inspired in the Europa League too, scoring two goals and changing the game against Young Boys Bern before grabbing another goal -- his third of the tournament -- at home to Udinese. But just as important as his ability on the ball is the character he possesses. In a squad with a reputation for mental fragility, Shelvey is a blooming violet, unnerved by setback and driven by correcting mistakes.

It is that character, along with the fear of him choosing his grandmother's Scotland instead, that caught Roy Hodgson's eye.

It was also Hodgson who handed him his Liverpool debut, way back on a rain-sodden night at Anfield in September 2010. Liverpool's Carling Cup exit to Northampton may have proved a pathetic fallacy for Hodgson as a storm unloaded overhead, but it was the beginning of a bright, fledging career at Anfield for Shelvey. He was handed his full debut a month later away to Napoli in the Europa League and produced a man-of-the-match performance in a hostile environment.

It is little surprise, then, that the current England manager is one of four managers who have deemed Shelvey good enough to play for Liverpool. Rafael Benitez saw potential in the rough diamond from north east London and bought him from Charlton; Hodgson gave him his debut and a foothold in the senior squad, while Kenny Dalglish gave him his first Premier League start and allowed him to flourish as a substitute alongside Luis Suarez, Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez at the end of the Scot's caretaker reign.

Even when Shelvey was loaned out to Blackpool in 2011, his displays for the Championship side -- coupled with the season-ending injury to Lucas Leiva -- prompted a recall. It takes a special talent to buck the trend of Liverpool loanees, who usually leave Anfield for a season and never return, floating along the lower league river of purgatory for the rest of their career.

But it is under Rodgers that Shelvey has already found his niche in this Liverpool squad, performing well even in a side struggling for points at the start of the season. His versatility could have been a curse having played in a variety of positions in midfield but he’s used it to good effect this season, playing as the most advanced of the midfield three. He is the archetype for Rodgers, much like Sigurdsson was at Swansea; his experience in a deeper role sees him willingly track back to fill gaps and press the opposition, without negating his attacking talent.

He is not the finished article, of course; the introduction has hardly been written. He does show wastefulness in front of goal at times but is not alone at Anfield with that. Shelvey also exhibits mental absenteeism at times, picking the wrong option with or without the ball, but that’s a by-product of youth. Even the sending off against Manchester United provided a curate's egg of an incident; diving in feet-first is something Shelvey must stamp out, but his visceral reaction as he left the field showed that if nothing else, he's undeterred in the face of criticism.

When Shelvey stepped on to the Wembley pitch on Friday, Liverpool stumped up an extra 250,000 pounds to Charlton, small change for a 20-year-old England international with over a century of league games under his belt.  Liverpool must continue to smooth this rough diamond; if they do, he looks set to sparkle in their midfield for a very long time.

Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/195?cc=5739

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: Jonjo - if the cap fits, wear it
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:15:50 pm »
Brilliantly put. I have no critisism, a well written piece on a player I love.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »
Well written Kris.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:46:05 am »
Excellent piece that Kris.

It's always tricky when talking about the potential of players as regardless of how good they are, it really can go either way. I still remember when Real Madrid signed Gago and Higuain. There was a lot more hype behind Gago and he outshone Higuain in the first 2 seasons at the club. Higuain was very inconsistant and Real Madrid had doubts over him ever being good enough to replace Raul long term. It was only a long term injury to van Nistlerooy that give him a real run in the side in his 3rd season after which he began to look like the player to replace Raul.

We are also trying to replace a club legend. Like Raul, Gerrard will be the level others in his position will be compared to until someone does enough to suggest they are worthy of the title of "Gerrard's replacement". It´s not fair really on any young player who should only be expected to be the very best they can be, not be the very best of one of the greatest ever players. Also like you said, Rodgers will not want a direct replacement for Gerrard. Instead he would prefer a midfield of 3 to provide him with all the tools his side needs to crush the opposition. While we know this is true, we also know the comparisons will happen. Thankfully Shelvey seems to have the character to not wilt under such expectations.

Whilst a lot of people will disagree, I still have this gut feeling that Henderson will be the one who will eventually be moulded by Rodgers into a star midfielder though. I think the pressure is off him externally now. With Suso and Sterling added to our wingers we don´t need to play him out there. With Shelvey, Allen, Sahin and Lucas to come in before Christmas we have lots of talent in midfield. I also see in him many of the tools Rodgers likes in his midfielders and it sounds like Rodgers is working him hard in the tactical aspect of things based on what he said on the official site. His reaction to perceived setbacks is also very Lucas-esque in many ways. I think he will surprise a few people in the second half of this season.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

royhendo

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:05:59 am »
Everybody knows he's Scottish. It's a disgrace. McNosferatu.

You mention Sigurdsson. It's a blessing that we didn't land him in the end, I'd argue, because we have a number of players whose upside at least matches his (for me at least). Shelvey is very much one of those players.

The other key point you mention is that the three effectively replaces a Gerrard. That's the fundamental point we're neglecting in our overall debate at the moment. What Rodgers introduces is the traditional Liverpool archetype - passing football with discipline - with enough extra 'structure' that it can truly be baked in. What that potentially opens up is the prospect of a product line. People talk about hype over substance, but if this whole thing is allowed to align, the benefits will outlast Rodgers.

The big risk, of course, is the potential for men in suits to be panicked into starting afresh if we hit the skids for a few games.

Regardless, Shelvey is gonna be great for us. People shouldn't sweat the idea of giving Sahin back to Madrid if that eventually happens. We have some great players who are learning how to work within this system.

Thanks again mate. :)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »
Enjoyed that read.

Really like how Jonjo is coming along. Got high hopes for this lad.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
Excellent article that.
I was really happy when we dropped our efforts to sign that Gylfi lad. We knew this lad would be fantastic eventhough most of the fans here wanted Gylfi here. I remember someone arguing with me during the transfer window that Gylfi is better than Jonjo. This lad is much better now than Gylfi ever would be
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:19 pm »
Finally starting to show that he actually has the abilities he has (not always legitimately) shown he has the confidence in. But as you say, still rough, needs to cut, polished and put in an appropriate setting.

I don't think it does any favours to be even whispering "the new Gerrard" though, once in a generation player an all that. Although with Allen, Lucas, Shelvey, Sahin (to go on a temporary job swap with Xabi next summer ;) ), we only need a creative midfield/AM playmaker like Eriksen and we can possibly think about dusting off that proud 2007 song again.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline PanchDeBurca

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »
I think Allen is probably going to be more important to the team in the next 5-7 years than Hendo and Shelvey - although i think both are potentially very good players

Shelvey is really raw at the moment for me - but he is very young so not expecting anything else. 

I do think Shelvey is being a little over hyped to be honest

also i don't want another Gerrard or Gerrard type player - for me the era of the swashbuckling i can do everything type midfielder is over - discipline and control are going to be the key for the Rodgers (and beyond) era (hopefully at least)

Edit:  Another well written piece L6

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »
I would swap round Jonjo and Joe Allen - Allen further forward is going to be devastating I believe, and as for Jonjo, he seems to have an ability to control the pace of the game from deeper, as well as having, in my opinion, the defender's instincts, desire, legs and physicality required for that position. I think Brendan should at least try it and not simply piegon-hole Jonjo as a goal-scoring midfielder, where I'm not 100% convinced he will be our answer for years to come.

He's a player, a bit like Mascherano, as we've now seen with him playing centre-back, who could play in many positions.

It's just a personal view, but I'm a massive Jonjo fan and am always relieved to see him in our starting XI, wherever he plays.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:20:04 pm by pumblechookian »
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
I keep repeating it in most Shelvey related threads that I said back when he made his first few appearances for the club that the lad is potentially one of the best signings we will have ever made at a paltry 1.8 million. His technical ability, ability to pass the ball long and short with pin point accuracy, ability to ghost into space and get into shooting positions, ability to spot a through ball or a 40 yard crossfield pass, tenacity and work rate, the lad has all the attributes to become a top attack minded central midfielder. His swagger is just amazing for someone of his age. Two footed too. Must be worth at least 15 million in the current market. Has a ceiling which is much much higher than the likes of Cleverly. still raw but you can see his is a bit special.

He just needs games now and eased in slowly rather than having to play 50 odd matches a season.

Midfield is one area where I have zero concerns. The only issue right now is finding the best role and position for Gerrard in a team that requires patience and discipline. We'll see.

Does anyone else recall Juan Valeron when watching shelvey play, in terms of playing style?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:36:55 pm by MassDriver »
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:13 pm »
I would swap round Jonjo and Joe Allen - Allen further forward is going to be devastating I believe, and as for Jonjo, he seems to have an ability to control the pace of the game from deeper, as well as having, in my opinion, the defender's instincts, desire, legs and physicality required for that position. I think Brendan should at least try it and not simply piegon-hole Jonjo as a goal-scoring midfielder, where I'm not 100% convinced he will be our answer for years to come.

He's a player, a bit like Mascherano, as we've now seen with him playing centre-back, who could play in many positions.

It's just a personal view, but I'm a massive Jonjo fan and am always relieved to see him in our starting XI, wherever he plays.

Whilst I see what you're saying, I don't agree. It almost sounds like you're sending Shelvey down the same route as Gerrard was sent down. Just because Jonjo is a relatively complete midfielder, doesn't mean we should deploy him in the middle of the park. Jonjo doesn't have the patience of Allen or tackling ability of Lucas, so I'd much rather him play further up the pitch where his energy and work-rate can be used to harress and press the opposition, rather than leaving gaps.
He is a wonderful talent and as many have said, his confidence is outstanding. Definitely an attacking-midfielder for me.

@MassDriver, I definitely see the Valeron comparison, although Shelvey is still raw. Has a similar style and similarly, bags of confidence. Shelvey's vision and attacking threat is very impressive.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

@MassDriver, I definitely see the Valeron comparison, although Shelvey is still raw. Has a similar style and similarly, bags of confidence. Shelvey's vision and attacking threat is very impressive.

Cheers mate. Stylistically they are very similar.

Although I think Shelvey has the ability to play in deeper roles in midfield where his long passing ability can be utilised.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

Are you seriously suggesting that Jonjo Shelvey has "the defender's instincts, desire, legs and physicality"? Seriously likening in any way to Mascherano?

If we had to use Jonjo Shelvey in the Lucas (current occupied by Allen) role in BR's system, it would mean we had some (God forbid) serious injury crisis. At least, on current evidence.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:39:46 pm »
Good read, Kris.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline MassDriver

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 04:40:56 pm »
Are you seriously suggesting that Jonjo Shelvey has "the defender's instincts, desire, legs and physicality"? Seriously likening in any way to Mascherano?

If we had to use Jonjo Shelvey in the Lucas (current occupied by Allen) role in BR's system, it would mean we had some (God forbid) serious injury crisis. At least, on current evidence.

Shelvey doesn't have the attributes to play as a 'shielder' like Lucas but he has the passing range to play as the 'passer' if you know what I mean.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:18 pm »
Shelvey doesn't have the attributes to play as a 'shielder' like Lucas but he has the passing range to play as the 'passer' if you know what I mean.

Yes, I concur. Still, the poster I was responding to was highlighting some non-existent (to me) defensive/shielding skills and bodily features of Jonjo.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:29:44 pm by The 5th Benitle »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »

It's a matter of opinion, mate. I actually think he'd be good in that role, for reasons which I tried to explain.

And in answer to your questions - a) yes, and b)the Mascherano comparison was a reference to his versatility, rather than me saying "Jonjo is like Mascherano".
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Rafaroy

• Main Stander
  • RED4EVER YNWA
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »
As we all know there will never be another Stevie G. But the ability this kid is showing at the moment can only be good for the club.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »
Nicely balanced article and completely agree about bucking the trend of loan players in the last decade. Not many make it back to Melwood once they go out.

Have to admit I struggled initially to work out what sort of player Shelvey was/might become. Since the summer and onwards I've become hooked. If he doesn't start a game then he's the first name I look to from the bench if we need to push for a goal. He he has it in him to be both scorer and provider, as well as putting in the mandatory 100% effort when not in possession.

I'm very content at how Shelvey is progressing and embracing more responsibility in the first team. He should be a fearsome player in a few years time. There are some areas to be worked on, such as showing calmness despite appearing to operate at 1000MPH (Gerrard does this more than he is credited for) but that's to be expected of a 20 year old.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 07:56:00 pm »
Great read that, thanks Kris. Shelvey is really doing himself proud this season and the future is really bright for our midfield.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 08:15:24 pm »
Great post that fella.

I have always liked the kid and it seems obvious to me that he has all the credentials.

Lets he flourishes into his full potential.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:57 pm »
nice read Kris, remember posting when we signed him that my charlton mates were absolutely gutted that they sold him as he was their best player by a long way.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline SexyFootball

• Main Stander
  • What a Hit Son!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 10:57:01 pm »
I think Allen is probably going to be more important to the team in the next 5-7 years than Hendo and Shelvey - although i think both are potentially very good players

Shelvey is really raw at the moment for me - but he is very young so not expecting anything else. 

I do think Shelvey is being a little over hyped to be honest

also i don't want another Gerrard or Gerrard type player - for me the era of the swashbuckling i can do everything type midfielder is over - discipline and control are going to be the key for the Rodgers (and beyond) era (hopefully at least)

Edit:  Another well written piece L6

Agree with EVERYTHING  you have said there! Its great when we can talk about all these young players coming through, the future is certainly bright!
The over hyped comment is also true, lets not get carried away, hes doing well at the moment but we shouldnt put too much pressure on him by saying hes "the new Gerrard" as was said already will only ever be ONE Steven Gerrard.
Theres no doubting he has the ability to become a vital part of what is looking a brilliant Liverpool midfield fro many seasons to come!
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
Im not going to get too carried away with him as I dont think its right if he has loads of pressure on him however he quite obviously has the potential and attributes to become really great here.

Im sure in 5 years time he will be a KOP favourite...he's already becoming one of mine....its going to be exciting watching him grow.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 11:19:04 pm »
I remember kenny bought jonjo on all the time during his caretaker period in charge and would say he wasn't sure what his best position was but he had so much talent. I think he will end up being best as a riquelme type no10...for me he has that languid classy style of play...though riquelme would never go into sliding challenges the way jonjo does!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »
What will benefit Shelvey is that nobody is looking at him to be the 'next Gerrard'. I just don't think that will be an issue at all. He's not going to be, he's not going to pretend to be, and nobody expects or even desires him to be... (DER! DER! DER!) The 'next Gerrard.' So that's pleasing. But after his finger pointing the other week - we do expect him to be good - he's got no choice now ;D

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 12:15:17 am »
Great read, Kris. The only thing I worry about Jonjo is that he is trying to become the next Gerrard, but in the process he isn't creating his own identity as a player.

That said, his confidence is absolutely superb, and if he continues to push himself like he is he won't have to create his own identity as he would have already made one.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 12:32:53 am »
Great read, Kris. The only thing I worry about Jonjo is that he is trying to become the next Gerrard, but in the process he isn't creating his own identity as a player.

That said, his confidence is absolutely superb, and if he continues to push himself like he is he won't have to create his own identity as he would have already made one.

Modelling himself on Gerrard doesn't necessarily mean he's not making his own identity as a player, just as it doesn't necessarily mean he is making his own identity. They, like Gerrard's hero Bryan Robson before them, model themselves on the archetypal English all action midfield hero who does everything everywhere on the pitch. The fictional model is Roy of the Rovers, but it's ingrained in the English psyche, as seen in English fans' view of the game. Hopefully he can break free of that, but it's nothing to do with comparing him with Gerrard, and everything to do with the English view of the game.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:09 am »
He's neither athletic enough nor explosive enough to be the 'next Gerrard' so forget about that. I'm happy about that though as he could be a cracking player in his own right with the skill sets he has.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 02:14:14 am »
He can’t fill anyone’s boots but his own, and there’s nothing wrong in that!

I think hes top draw....hes fearless!

I remember one of his first appearances, he tried to lob the keeper from about 45 yards out at Anfield... he got a roasting of someone after but he tried something equally audacious...and this was a couple of season ago so he was even younger!

Thats having no fear, and you can’t "train" that into someone...thats something your born with!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:10 am »
I agree that he is a little over-hyped at the moment, but that's understandable considering the strides he's made recently. It's as though something has just clicked into place with him. For me, the only likeness to Gerrard is the long passes and the runs he makes into the box.  He doesn't try to do everything.

His confidence is very high at the moment, I watched the second half of England's game against San Marino on Friday and the ball he played to Baines only moments from coming on was incredible for a guy who has just been brought into the England team.  Most players would just try to keep it tidy and not try anything too spectacular.

He's still raw as many have noted, but the quality of the guy is there for all to see.

Just been watching some videos of Valeron, jeez I'd forgotten just how good that guy was. 
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:50 am »
His confidence is very high at the moment, I watched the second half of England's game against San Marino on Friday and the ball he played to Baines only moments from coming on was incredible for a guy who has just been brought into the England team.  Most players would just try to keep it tidy and not try anything too spectacular.

Was very impressed with Jonjo when he came on, a great pass in the build up to the 5th goal and a wonderful through ball that probably deserved a goal.

Of course that goal against Udinese had Stevie written all over it. I think the way Brendan will set the team up will stop Jonjo from going down the "All Action Hero" path.

Let's not forget, Stevie picked up this habit between 02-4 when the team was struggling and he was given the captaincy. He stepped up to take responsibility when others didn't and carried us for nearly 2 seasons. He has carried on in the same vein ever since even though he hasn't always needed to which has been the root of some of our problems. Before anyone pipes up, I still think the positives of Stevie have greatly outweighed the negatives but we should still be objective enough to be able to point out his flaws.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:55 am »
I never said Shelvey is the next Gerrard. If Rodgers gets his way, there won't be a need for one anyway.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:08 am »
I never said Shelvey is the next Gerrard. If Rodgers gets his way, there won't be a need for one anyway.

Key is this mate, just shows how much influence a manager has over a players game.
If Gerrard was in Shelveys position now, just breaking through, there's a massive chance we'd never have 'experienced' the Gerrard phenomena.

From what I can see that's one of the negatives to Brendans philosophy, there isn't a lot of 'room for players to strike out'
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 11:35:04 am »
Went seriously up in my estimation when he gave it back to the Govan Tramp as he left the pitch.

He could be thought of as the next Igor Biscan for all I care, but for that Masch-like demonstration of controlled temper and cajones, he'll always get my support.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36:49 am »
From what I can see that's one of the negatives to Brendans philosophy, there isn't a lot of 'room for players to strike out'
Very very few players actually have the ability to 'strike out'.

Offline smj86

• Sad Wanker
  • Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »
Amazing read L6!!

Again, big credit has to go to Rafa for revamping our youth system and bringing in all those talented young players. He has ensured that if any of our so called superstars want to leave due to the lack of CL football (which might be 2-3 years) we would still have an extremely talented and competitive team, with players like Shelvey, Suso, Sterling, Wisdom more than capable of filling in any vacant role!!
“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,”

Rafael Benitez

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »
Very very few players actually have the ability to 'strike out'.

Correct, but we've had one mate, and under Rodgers system/philosophy/style, there's a very large chance we'd have missed out.

However, the plus side is that hopefully a well drilled TEAM will perform better than a side with Gerrard.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
He likes to take those 'Gerrard-esk' shots from outside the box, but hes never in the attacking role hed prefer to be. Once hes behind the striker I think he could be more effective. He's shown hes not selfish and he does have a bit of a 'off-ball intelligence'.
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).