Author Topic: Gerrard Unbound  (Read 39970 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Gerrard Unbound
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »
Gerrard Unbound.

If you’re looking for infallible proof that the English school of football punditry doesn’t know enough about football you simply have to consider its tedious consensus about where to play Steven Gerrard. They've got it taped. It’s in central midfield of course. In the ‘engine room’, at ‘the hub’, ‘stoking the boiler’, moving from ‘box to box’. No cliché is worn enough to discourage Jamie Redknapp, Andy Townsend, or Andy Gray from recruiting it to press the case for ‘Stevie G’ starting games in that part of the pitch where - they believe - the real football takes place. To see Lucas playing there for Liverpool instead is therefore pure agony for these men - a slap in the face not just to Gerrard, but all Englishmen. That usurpation has meant one thing for poor Lucas. Nothing he achieves playing in central midfield for the Reds is recognised by the pundits. His failures are exaggerated, his successes overlooked. 

Roy Hodgson seems to share the consensus. As soon as he arrived at Liverpool he reversed Rafa’s policy of playing Gerrard in wider or more advanced positions, kitted him out in dungarees, placed a spanner in his fist and put him back in the engine room . A feeling has grown amongst us that Gerrard himself made this reversal a condition of his support for any new manager, though I’ve never seen convincing evidence of that (perhaps it would be impossible to come by). At any rate 5 years of blissful experimentation now appear to be over with Gerrard returning to his rightful estate in the centre of the park.

Or maybe not.

I, for one, hope not. Gerrard is wasted in central midfield; central midfield is impoverished by his presence. Don’t get me wrong. He’s ok there. Occasionally he is magnificent. But the discipline the role demands does virtually nothing to release his natural dynamism and requires a patience and a speed of thought which he lacks. That seems paradoxical and I want to say more about that in a moment, but first let us bury the other absurd theory about Gerrard that you sometimes hear – this time, incredibly, from certain deluded sections of Liverpool’s support.

Gerrard is not an over-rated player. He is a genius of a footballer – one of Liverpool’s greatest ever and probably the best Liverpool player never to win the title (we hope he soon relinquishes this accolade). We are blessed to have him and as difficult as it can sometimes be to accommodate his unhinged talent, he is a player that any manager in the world in the last 10 years would love to have had. Several top managers tried to buy him. We adored it when he stayed.

But Steve does not belong in central midfield. He lacks the patience and he lacks the speed of thought. His mind is not the mind of Alonso – or Lucas – which contains both these things. The patience to know that a puzzle needn’t be solved with the next touch of the ball, or within the next five seconds, and the speed of thought to see that a first-time pass travelling all of two princely yards can change the state of play in an instance. Gerrard’s problem – which can be a blessing in more advanced parts of the pitch – is that he frequently tries to do too much. He forces play. Faced with an option of a 20-yard pass out to the flanks or a 5-yard pass to the man standing near him he will invariably go for the former. This applies even when the long pass is played entirely in front of the opposition (ie without cutting anyone out). Not a single opponent will have had to readjust his position following such a pass (indeed they may have been given extra time to settle). No extra Liverpool player will have been brought into play. But Steve does it nearly all the time.

Why? I think there are three reasons. The first is that this is the way he was taught to play. We all are in this country. A long accurate ball is better than a short accurate one. It sort of stands to reason doesn’t it? It certainly feels nicer when you do it. I wouldn’t call it showboating exactly, but there’s a certain ‘look at me’ quality to the long ball that finds its man but neither isolates an opposing player nor effectively switches play. A mind like this can find the short pass inconceivable – not just to execute but to receive. I remember a short, apparently superfluous, pass that Mascherano gave to Gerrard minutes into a game away at Porto. Mascher did it to get the Liverpool juices flowing. Gerrard reacted like he’d been shot in the back. He wasn’t expecting and he actually stumbled and lost possession.

The second reason is to do with Gerrard having to carry the team in the latter-days of the Houllier regime. You can imagine what was often going through Gerrard’s mind back then: “If I don’t make things happen, they will never happen. If I don’t seize the initiative who will?” Those who now complain about this philosophy in Steven need to be careful of course. They ought, at least, to ask themselves whether we’d have won in Istanbul and Cardiff without it. The stupid run at the heart of the packed Milan defence for the penalty, the absurd effort on goal from 35 yards when he knew he had cramp against the Hammers. On both occasions there were players better positioned than he was. A little bit of patience was missing from his game. Yet without the magisterial ego, the “I’m fucking well gonna do this myself”, we’d have probably lost both matches. No one should forget that.

There are countless other, less celebrated, examples too. Like Fernando Torres, like many special players, Gerrard can be guilty of attempting the outrageous when the mundane seems necessary, of going for the full symphony when the plainsong would suffice. But no team ever won anything substantial without breaking the rules and doing the unexpected. And defences hate it.

The final reason is something to do with the intimidating effect Gerrard can have on teammates. This is controversial ground and wise men will tread carefully. After all, it takes two to tango. Gerrard may be an intimidating presence. But certain players are all too easily intimidated as well. Pennant was in Athens when he burst through the Milan back line in the third minute only to stupidly surrender possession to a stationary Gerrard, so taking all the momentum out of the move and sacrificing a golden chance to take an early lead. I always remember Bellamy in one of his first games pushing Steven out of the way to score his first goal in front of the Kop. That was a great sign. Pennant should have done the same Athens. But, of course, he didn’t have Bellamy’s character.

Rafa did more for Gerrard’s game than any other coach he’s ever had. After 2005 he uprooted his captain from his favourite spot and told him he was playing on the flanks. Straight away the cream of English punditry spluttered and cursed into their microphones. Flank, to them, meant periphery. It meant the margins. It meant banishment. Gerrard might as well have been plucked from the Forum in Rome and sent to icy Caledonia.

It didn’t matter to them that the world’s best players who, ten years before, may well have been playing ‘box-to-box’ midfield, were now doing their stuff on the flanks, where there was more space and where a lost ball following an irresponsible trick wasn’t so fatal. Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Messi – all of them were taking up positions on  the wings. None of them were conventional wingers, but it simply didn’t matter outside England. It’s possible that Rafa ministered to Gerrard’s vanity by saying ‘go join them’.  Whatever the method of persuasion that’s where Gerrard played in 2006-07. And he played the best football of his life while amassing 23 goals. Rafa told ‘El Pais’ that those commentators who insisted that the wide role limited Gerrard “didn’t have a clue”. He also said that Andy Gray was a “monumental idiot”.

The last bit isn’t true, but is true if you know what I mean. This is where I’d like to see Gerrard now. There’s really no doubt, is there, who currently belongs in the centre of Liverpool’s midfield? It’s Lucas and Meireles (with Shelvey deputising when one of them isn’t available). They understand what’s required and they understand each other. They ought never to have been on the losing side at White Hart Lane at the weekend. Neither is as good as Alonso, but both are better than Mascherano. They will prosper. They will be good for us.

The remaining question is therefore where to play Steven? I don’t mind him back in the hole supporting Torres, but I’d prefer to see him on the right where he was so good for a while under Rafa. He sort of ended up there against Napoli in the UEFA cup last month and he was superb. Napoli were scared of him and you can’t blame them. With that kind of pace, that sort of power and that level of fearlessness he is a hell of a proposition. It was a beautiful moment – for many reasons – when he stuck in the third. By then the Neapolitans were genuinely scared of him – the goalie and the fans. All those guys in black jackets behind the goal suddenly realised what a brave man is. Our number 8.

Gerrard Unbound. That’s what we want. Not worrying about building play from the back, not overburdened by detail, not in central midfield. Give him a more attacking role. Play him where his raw pace means something. Get him scoring goals again.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard Unbound
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »
I think he should play on the right.

Reina
Johnson       Agger     Skrtel       Aurelio
             Meireles           Lucas
   Gerrard                               Maxi
                 Torres       Ngog

or

Reina
Johnson       Agger     Skrtel       Aurelio
             Meireles           Lucas
   Gerrard           Cole               Maxi
                         Torres       
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:15:45 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
fantastic post.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »
Entertaining read as ever yorky. Excellent stuff. Hell of a statement to make that Lucas and Meireles are better than Mascherano, though.

I like the point you make about his lack of patience and the potential reasons for it. A lot of people say other players step up to the mark in his absence, but I don't think that is strictly true. I would love to see the statistics but I'm going to guess our side make a lot more passes when Gerrard is out of the side.

He's still a class apart from anyone else in our squad (Torres aside, perhaps) but he is certainly no central midfielder.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:04 pm »
[ Rafa told ‘El Pais’ that those commentators who insisted that the wide role limited Gerrard “didn’t have a clue”. He also said that Martin Tyler's Monkey was a “monumental idiot”.

The last bit isn’t true..

It is true..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »
Very good post.

I'd like to see him have a protracted run on the right but not sure if RH would even contemplate such an outrageous (but very sensible) notion.  I also wonder if SG would see it as some kind of demotion? 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
Great post, sadly under the current regime the fact that he is the best Liverpool player never to win the English title will remain.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:21:54 pm »
Yorky, apologies for the X Factor judge type comment but....you've nailed it. Particularly enjoyed the bit about Lucas and Raul as our CM partnership, they should play every league game there.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
Excellent read,thought provoking,incisive,factual and quite inspiring,,,

Now..If only some others would take note....
bollocks

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:39 pm »
Great read there, excellent stuff and I would definitely agree with Gerrard on the right, didn't he win the PFA player of the year from there. Lucas and Meireles better than Mascherano? Don't see that being true for either, yet, but they certainly look like forming an excellent partnership in the middle.

Again, really enjoyed reading
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »
Great post mate
The bit about his efforts under GH are very true - I used to feel sorry for him back then - it was SG vs the rest and must have effected his approach to the game
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline funksta

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:09 pm »
A bit too long winded for me.

Rafa only played him off torres to get him out of midfield because he did not trust him to do a job.

Playing off torres now is pointless, as torres is half the striker.

I like the raul and lucas pairing so when fit the right side seems a much better fit and kuyt can partner torres or Ngog.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »
Very good read that mate. I have to admit I do agree with most of it. The discussion about Mascherano vs Lucas and Raul is for another day but it is refreshing have midfielders who are both competent at attacking and defending.

Gerrard on the right years ago was with a right back who wasn't as adventurous as Johnson. Finnan was good but if having Gerrard right midfield he can have his license to roam whilst Johnson provides the needed width. However would Gerrard be more adequate on the left, similar to Messi. I'd be happy with Maxi, Cole and Gerrard.

Anyways cheers for the read Yorky.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »
Good post Yorkie. 

I don't disagree about his thinking process when in CM. Stevie is an off the cuff player and can decimate defences with his instinctive running and shooting, not to mention that header in Istanbul. He's no Dixie Dean but he could be when he saw the chance.

The fact that he has more time on the ball when playing in midfield often leads him to making the wrong choices for the team. When he is in the hole, or on the right, he usually makes a snap decision with a quick run or pass. Together with Torres he has made some marvellous assists.

His pace is his biggest asset when attacking, so just how many years he has left to play on the right is open to question. Sadly the chances of Roy playing him out there are so low as to be negligible.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline RedAndyM

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »
Brilliant post and some well thought out comments. I wouldnt say that Lucas and Meireles are better than Mascherano, its more that some centre mids complement each other. Just like Masch and Alonso, Alonso's mobility didnt matter because masch more than made up for and vice versa with distribition. IMO Lucas and Meireles complement each other perfectly and adds to our play as a result, if this means that Gerrard has to be accomodated elsewhere in the team then so be it. I agree that Gerrard can destroy teams for wide right or behind the striker and this IMO is where he should play, influencing the game where he csn cause most problems

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »
For fuck's sake. And people wonder why our talented writers don't write so much anymore.

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
Great post, well thought out and hard to argue with but I wonder if Stevies problem is that he wants to be in the middle and that is why he ends up there whatever position you ask him to play. Rafa had the strength to keep Stevie in his place, Hodgson doesnt. If Im honest I would prefer him in a central position at the head of a midfield diamond, not because I think he is better in the centre than on the right but because I believe placing him on the right leads too often to our right back to be left exposed as he wanders into central midfield.
Who ate all the pies?????? I DID!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GaryM

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
Very well written post.  I hope Lucas and Meireles get the chance to form a partnership in centre midfield even when Stevie is back.  I think they'll be capable of playing some great football in there if they're allowed to.
"There's not one club in Europe with an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone. There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team ... For that I admire Liverpool more than anything" Johan Cryuff

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »
For fuck's sake. And people wonder why our talented writers don't write so much anymore.

It's called the ignore list mate. Which is where this poster resides.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:24 pm »
Gerrard has the ability to do any of the outfield tasks. Even the bread and butter of the midfield. However, that part of the game isn't natural to him, so he has to force himself into a disciplined mode which can fly away all too easily. He can play in CM, but the effort of making himself fit there delays his reading of the game by that little bit, even when he is managing to keep discipline there. This isn't a problem for players like Lucas and Meireles, who find the positional game more natural to them, and thus don't constantly need to keep their roaming instincts in check. Natural CMs should refer to themselves in relation to the other players. Gerrard refers to other players in relation to himself. Which is understandable and useful in its own way, but not for a CM.

That said, Gerrard-Johnson down the right is going to be the most frightening sight in world football.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:53:49 pm »

You are not worthy.

Fuck off.
Kill the humourless

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:00 pm »
I think he's lost a bit of pace to be able to play at RM. That raw burst of speed is gone. I think he'd be better suited for the AM role.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »
Good read, makes some valid points in regards to SG playing out wide as he did have a tremendous season on the right in 06-07.  Probably would excel out there again but as a team we have had better seasons with him in the center / hole slot as we finished 21 points behind Utd that year when he played as a RM. So SG on the right is great for his own merits but poor for team goals.

I think you underestimate Mascherano as while Lucas may have an eye for a pass & can get forward, the monster kept our weakish defense line twice as tight as today it’s a sad version of the days when we had Finnan, H&C (Henchoz) & Riise (on form).  Always wanted Masch to get forward more often but felt he was a little restrained under Rafa, bit like Hamann under GH as when they did get a run forward they had some class about them.

At the end of the day we spend nearly 20m on an attacking full back and have the 3rd most able goal / assist threat in Kuyt already on the right so why triple up with SG.? I nearly play him on the left before the right if you wanted him wide as our left hand side is like a blind man in a brothel when it comes to goal threat. Ideally SG in the hole / top of midfield with Raul & Lucas is the way to go and if we can upgrade on Lucas in due course so we tighten up the defense again or bulk up that piss weak defense pronto.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »
Great stuff as usual yorky. Brilliant.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »
I agree and I agree and I agree. Been saying it for years about Gerrard, but you skewered some nice points there, Yorky.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
Bloody great post yorky, you must be sick of hearing that, but it's true.  :wave
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:55 pm »

Spot on mate. Terrible that there is so many dickheads knocking about here now.

I cringed reading that fellas post.

Great OP, I agree with every single word of it. Thanks
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline fumb

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »
Nice article Yorky... thanks.

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 09:04:06 pm »
We need a new manager but we also need a strong manager who isn't dictated to by Stevie (assuming that might have happened with Roy) and isn't influenced by these no-mark football 'pundits'. Should be playing behind Nando or on the right.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline Milly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 09:25:27 pm »
Yorky for manager.......
Smash it ??

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:46 pm »
An excellent OP by a very wise man. Someone should send it to Roy. He could learn something. The only thing I slightly disagree with is the "speed of thought" thing. On the contrary it seems to me like his teammates often struggles to keep up with his speed of thought.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:58 pm »
Still think he should be playing alongside Meireles and Lucas in a 4-3-3. His movement and energy with Meireles in the centre could be magic and both would have ample opportunity to get forward. Plus as part of a 3 we don't need to worry about him having his back to goal and can still utilise his long range passing from a deeper position, which we have needed since Alonso left.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »
Gerrard in the middle of an interchangeable three behind Torres with Lucas and Raul deeper would work. Just playing him off Nando stopped being effective when teams sussed it. The problem is not Stevie himself but who is around him as alluded to by the excellent analysis of the poster. His positional sense would not matter as much in this formation with the insurance of what's behind. Alongside him in the three would need to be quick thinking, quick footed players; I still believe Cole can be one of these, the other is not at the club yet. The three could play narrow or wide, interchanging. In essence, free rein to roam. Not just Gerrard but all three. This takes time but already the signs are that Lucas and Raul are developing  together well enough to dominate the midfield while allowing the flair/instinctive players to develop their own understanding. This leaves Nando up top on his own, where he plays better I believe.

Gerrard instinctive play sets him apart. He sometimes gets ahead of the game and only Torres seems on his wavelength at times. Inferior players around him has always been the problem for him. As his pace and strength slowly wains, the addition of a couple of flair players will help curb his enthusiasm to be always the matchwinner and encourage him to take on the role of provider for I believe that has always been his strength.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:53 pm »
Small taste of what could have been.

----------Lucas---Raul--------

Gerrard--Aquilani---Maxi/Pacheco

--------------El Nino-----------

Raul, Aquilani, Maxi and Gerrard all good goal-scorers. Lucas Aquilani Maxi and Raul can all pas and move. Gerrard Lucas Aquilani Raul and Maxi can all make that final pass for Torres.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »
Great post - especially this bit...

Gerrard is not an over-rated player. He is a genius of a footballer – one of Liverpool’s greatest ever and probably the best Liverpool player never to win the title (we hope he soon relinquishes this accolade). We are blessed to have him and as difficult as it can sometimes be to accommodate his unhinged talent, he is a player that any manager in the world in the last 10 years would love to have had. Several top managers tried to buy him. We adored it when he stayed.
Those who have criticised him before seem to forget what he has done for this club. When Zidane, Mourihno, Ancelotti, Cruyff and even Pele come out and say he is one of the best midfielders ever to play the game, we should be thankful that he is ours.

2 years ago Gerrard and Torres were destroying Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd and Inter Milan, and we were regularly scoring 3+ goals per game with no reply. As the OP points out, this was all whilst Gerrard was playing an advanced role with a licence to do what he does best - drive forward, spray passes all over the park and create space for Torres to pull the trigger. Lucas and Meireles may not be Alonso and Mascherano (yet...), but they are more than capable of holding the midfield shape and providing the foundations for Gerrard and Torres to do the damage.

Please Roy, just because you've used 4-4-2 for 9000 years, it doesn't mean it's the only option.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »
Great read, Yorky!!

And please; too long?? Come on! It's posts like these that gives you insight or gives you something to think about (if you're already as insightful as the OP). Thanks again Yorky! :wave

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
Fantastic post, it all makes sense. It explains why he loved playing with Alonso and Mascherano.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 10:01:20 pm »
Great post, well thought out and a really enjoyable read.. and whats more.. i agree :)

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:45 pm »
great post.  agree with everything you said.  also agree with killer_heels in that 4-3-3 would be worth a try. 

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »
At the end of the day we spend nearly 20m on an attacking full back and have the 3rd most able goal / assist threat in Kuyt already on the right so why triple up with SG.? I nearly play him on the left before the right if you wanted him wide as our left hand side is like a blind man in a brothel when it comes to goal threat. Ideally SG in the hole / top of midfield with Raul & Lucas is the way to go and if we can upgrade on Lucas in due course so we tighten up the defense again or bulk up that piss weak defense pronto.

If you want Gerrard and Kuyt on the flanks, why not Gerrard on the right and Kuyt on the left? Kuyt does the same job whichever flank he's on, as he's not a natural winger either way, and his main attacking strength is adding to the numbers in the middle from a starting position on the flank. In contrast, Gerrard is the cleanest striker of the moving ball with his right foot I've ever seen, and his crossing ability won't be seen from the left.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258