Author Topic: “You’re supporting Germany?!”  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“You’re supporting Germany?!”
« on: May 7, 2005, 09:48:34 pm »
“You’re supporting Germany?!” my friend asked me, with a look on his face that said I had better explain myself pretty quickly. We were sat round his house with a few beers, ready to watch the World Cup final, a final to be contested by Germany and Brazil. My other friends shared his look of disdain and I’m sure I could hear the sound of somebody sharpening a knife.

“Sure”, I replied (actually I didn’t, I probably just said yes, but in homage to Rafa I find myself adding ‘sure’ to my sentences these days). My argument was basically that the Brazil team was overrated and they cheated to get to the final (hands up Rivaldo, for the incident against Turkey, who deserved to beat them twice). England would have done them themselves if Erik-son-of-a-bitch had any motivational skills whatsoever. ‘Germany have winged it to the final too!’ my friend replied, which was true, seeing as they had defeated the mighty South Korea and USA en route to the final of a mediocre competition where France, Italy and Argentina didn’t turn up and Holland didn’t even board the plane.

My real reason for cheering on Germany? Simple. “The last time I checked there aren’t any Brazilians playing for Liverpool.”

You see, to me, England is like a mistress, but Liverpool is like a wife. And just as a mistress gives you fleeting pleasure but ultimate disappointment, a wife is always there, your real love, your real care. My favourite England moments are all Liverpool-inspired, be it McManaman terrorising Holland, Michael Owen destroying Argentina, or Liverpool 5 Germany 1. Anyway … there was a player representing Liverpool that day, a German, a German who makes me want to eat bratwurst, buy a Volkswagen and wear lederhosen. That’s right, gracing the World Cup final, the first Liverpool player since Sir Roger to do so, Dietmar Hamann.

I have been visiting this site since November, when I was told about it by a friend at college and an esteemed RAWK contributor! Until now I have been too busy to post a piece that I thought about writing after the Arsenal game around the same time. I began to think of my affection for Didi in the aftermath of the Chelsea victory on that glorious Tuesday night and how much I think he has contributed to our club and it reminded me of the idea. So here goes.

When debating Gerard Houllier’s best signing, most Reds respond with either Sami Hyypia or Gary MacAllister. Both these arguments are hard to argue with, especially when you consider that Sami cost only 2.5 million and Gary Mac is the greatest free transfer ever made. Dietmar Hamann would be my choice however, even though I thought his transfer fee of just under £8m was excessive at the time.

I believed that we were signing a proven international, but was worried that he hadn’t really shone in the Premiership as an attacking midfielder for the Toon. Eight million pounds is a lot of money, but occupying a deeper role for Liverpool, he soon established himself as the key component in Houllier’s Liverpool renaissance. He tidies, he collects, he breaks down attacks, he marshals the midfield and he covers the back four better than any player I have witnessed in my time as a Liverpool fan. He was a far cry from the over inflated, self-proclaimed Guv’nor, Paul Ince, a player bought for that role but who should never should have pulled on our shirt. Ince would charge forward in search of glory and time after time loss possession, more often than not resulting in goals for the opposition. His tackles were rash and self-serving; he would dive in as if to certify his ‘hard-man’ status and the damage he caused in the dressing room is well-documented.

Didi is the exact opposite, a model professional who rarely gives the ball away, who tackles and distributes without fuss and only gives away fouls when absolutely necessary. He is the master of the ‘clever’ foul, the foul conceded when the opposition break, the slight tug of the shirt or body check that isn’t sporting, but is certainly effective. The impact of his substitution against Bayer Leverkusen has been discussed in length and does not need any more analysis here; it is suffice to say that it is considered by some to be the turning point in Houllier’s managerial career.

Didi has a wealth of experience that makes him an irreplaceable asset, even during his less impressive performances. In the heat of the moment he does not panic, he calmly brings the ball out of defence and looks to play a pass forward. He has an incredible knack of using his wily expertise to win fouls when they are most needed, not really by diving or cheating as such, but by drawing his opponent into making a challenge that nine times out of ten will result in a free-kick for our side. He relieves pressure by showing his opponent just enough of the ball that they decide to make a challenge, and at the vital moment sticks himself between player and ball so that he is fouled.

A perfect example is in the game against Arsenal. I was sat in the Anny Road End with my brother, who had just said that a point against the then champions would be a brilliant result. I agreed, but still felt that our performance merited all three. In the dying moments Arsenal poured forward and we both screamed encouragement, fearing that our hard work and the incredible first half display would amount to nothing. Didi wasn’t worried. He won the ball and ran towards the corner, as Thierry Henry raced over to close him down. He invited the tackle, Henry bought it hook, line and sinker and Didi shoved his body in the way just in time to win the foul. Danger over, Chris Kirkland stepped up, launched the ball forward, Sol Campbell panicked and Neil Mellor did the rest.

Dietmar Hamman did not score the goal, Neil Mellor did. The free-kick he won was not the reason that Mellor scored, or the reason the fans next to me started singing ‘You can shove yer va-va-voom up yer arse!’ Yet his contribution was the same as it always is: a vital link in a chain of events, a cog in a machine that always runs more smoothly with his presence. On Tuesday he returned from two months out with injury to assist a valiant rearguard action and play his part in an unbelievable night, the like of which I have never witnessed. Jamie Carragher was immense and so was the entire back four, but I am sure when they all stood in the tunnel before kick-off, heard You’ll Never Walk Alone blasting out to the heavens and felt the vibrations from the shaking Kop, they all felt more confident knowing that our reliable German was on hand.

Hopefully Rafael Benitez and Didi will agree on a new contract at the end of the season. I would be delighted if he stays until the end of his career. If he returns to Germany, perhaps to Bayern Munich as speculated, I wish him all the best. Benitez has an intriguing selection dilemma in Istanbul and I hope Didi takes his place as part of a trinity with Gerrard and Alonso against AC Milan. He offers a cover that I think allows Alonso to dictate the play from deep while Gerrard can maraud forward. Perhaps if the German scores one of his yearly wonder goals and we bring home number five it might finally shut up my friend, because yes, returning to my long-winded intro, Brazil won that final, thanks to Ronaldo fouling Didi before the first goal. There is one thing I am sure of though, if Didi does play he will do what he always does, and that is quietly and calmly help orchestrate another fine victory.       

© Neil D 2005

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:45:38 pm by Rushian »

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
Re: “You’re supporting Germany?!”
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2005, 10:02:06 pm »
What a wonderful post, i agree i do luv our Didi, and Steven luvs him to be there, bring on the ities, did, xabi and stevie bossen the midfield.
i luv stevie Xabi is great but i adore didi :thumbup please stay i luv ya, when you have a good game so does the team,  and our midfielders trust you :scarf
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline redlez

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Lower Centenary
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2005, 10:15:51 pm »
A fine piece Neil and so very very true. How I long for Didi to be alongside Steven and Xabi at the kick off on the 25th.
And behold the child was born and he was to be named Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2005, 10:19:42 pm »
Great post Neil all hail our kaiser! :D

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2005, 10:47:58 pm »
Great post, worth reading if youre one of those "Hamann is crap" people

Funny you mentioned the performance against Chelsea, for his substitution, it draws immediate parrallels with THAT substitution against Bayer on 02.

Both times we were ahead, both substitutions came around the same time, and both were for more attacking players

Even with Didi tiring it was a brave decision by Rafa to put on Kewell, an attacking player who would not contribute in defence and, unless he gets the ball, may not contribute in attack either. If we had lost, many people would have pointed to that decision

This time however, Kewell did the job he was put on for wound down the clock and helped us to victory.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline mikeh

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2005, 10:51:35 pm »
stupid to think that it was said, that rafa wanted him to prove hes worth a new contract.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2005, 10:59:42 pm »
Excellent post. People often question the contribution of Didi Hamann to LFC and the size of the transfer fee that brought him to us. He has been an excellent servant club and one of Houllier's best signings. I fear the Champions League final will be his last game for us which is another reason why we must win the European Cup again.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2005, 11:08:12 pm »
I think Didi is one of those players that some fans don't realise the true value of, perhaps because he doesn't score as many goals as he could (some of his strikes are unbelieveable, I saw him score an exceptional goal that even had the away end applauding,  I think it might have been against Portsmouth?) and because he isn't the quickest. His speed of thought makes up for any deficiencies of pace though.

When he was subbed on Tuesday Leverkusen '02 was the first thing that went through my mind - a few people around me looked at each other as if to say 'here we go again'. It was definitely a bold decision, but I agree it paid off, maybe in contrast to that game Kewell looked like he knew exactly what he had to do. I get the impression with Benitez that he realised Didi would tire and that the substitution, in fact all three come to think of it, with Cisse replacing Milan to chase lost causes and offer a threat that meant that Terry couldn't be too adventurous and Nunez to get the ball down in the corner were all thought out long before the game. Perhaps in '02 the decison to take Didi off was more a knee-jerk reaction than part opf a pre-meditated game plan by Houllier? I suppose it's just speculation, but decisions like that can swing matches and thank God this time it paid off!

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2005, 11:15:53 pm »
His first/second start after alenghty lay off and he  played a blinder!,he just ran our of steam towards the end,was going to happen,I certainly expected that,Didi is KAISER AND I hope to fuck we sign hm up  for anther season atleast, I  remember when we signed him from Newcastle I thought  we were going to get a work engine and we sure did!,to be honest he hasn't left the club down once in all his time here IMO

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2005, 11:55:16 pm »
I supported germany in that final, cos of did. I support all reds, just as if the czechs were playing against england id want baros to grab a hatrick whilst at the same time gerrard running the show for england.
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 01:46:10 pm »
brilliant post - will move it to the front page later.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
  • Nice shooting son, what's your name?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 02:01:25 pm »
Quality, always had a lot of time for Didi, mind you I think he got a lot of time on the pitch because he is related to Phil T, well if he isn't he bloody looks like he is!

Didi always fills you with confidence when you see him come on the pitch, will work his ass off to defend and when he cracks that ball towards goal there ain't nothing getting in its way.

Top post . . .

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 02:39:28 pm »
i don't think anyone expected the curler FK against leverkusen, the keeper certainly didn't

once again another example that didi is a master of subtlety

Offline Lanrmort

• Legacy Fan
  • What were the skies like when you were young?
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 03:15:07 pm »
Great post.

I have to confess that it took me the best part of a year to understand exactly what Hamann brought to the team after we signed him. I thought he was boring. It was a revelation when I finally understood how crucial he was to our, and any, midfield he plays in.

Have no means of substantiating this, but I would be fairly certain that the number of defeats we suffer is drastically reduced when he is in the team.

Anyone got any stats?
twitter: @mortoni

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 03:58:36 pm »
The only German with a tinge of scouse in his accent (honest have a listen to his next interview, I am sure it's there) - Didi is an excellent player and I think we would be foolish not to sign him up for next season
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Offline danny02mi

• Main Stander
  • 3-0 ITS OVER 3-1 -3-2 3-3 anything can happen
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 01:10:53 am »
Sign him on a 4 year deal Raffa PLEASEEEEE !!!!!!!!!! we love our lil (not so little) Liverpulian (not even from England let alone Liverpool) German

DIDI ROCKS
NEVER BUY THE S*N 96 YNWA

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 08:45:43 am »
Great post.

I was thinking about Rafa's problem last night, with 4 central midfielders who genuinely deserve their place in Istanbul.

However, hugely unfair as it is, I think I would drop Igor, for the reasons you've outlined. Didi is essential, and the better the opponents, the more essential he becomes - he also allows alonso to play with slightly more freedom and gerrard to break forward more - particularly important against a slower back line, allowing the two to deliver killer balls that exploit the pace of cisse / baros.

It's tough on Igor, who has been excellent in the CL, but didi would get my starting vote (though I wouldn't expect didi to last the full 90, so Igor would probably get a late run out anyway...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 09:09:40 am »
Enjoyed this post and agree about the importance of Hamann. Eight million was a steal. I remember hardcore Geordies telling me so at the time.

I think Hamann's inclusion ahead of Biscan for the Arsenal game signals Rafa's intent on that selection issue, and I think he'd be right.

In 2002 I was in Kashima Stadium Japan supporting Ireland against the Germans and for the first half they controlled the midfield. And when I say they I mean Didi, which was the only consolation at the time.

If ever the cliche unsung hero applies to anyone it applies to Didi Hamann. The Ronnie Whelan of this era.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:55 pm »
Brilliant post !! Totally agree on the England/mistress comment......remember when I was a big scotland supporter in the 80's with dalglish, hansen & souness....just 'cause of the liverpool connection.

Losing Didi this summer would be worse than even if Gerrard left, since at least we'd get £30m for him and find couple of quality replacements.......however didi would go on a free & getting another decent/professional defensive midfielder would cost at least £8m !!!

Give him a 2 year contract and decent last wage before he hangs his boots up......we've been suckered by other people like Diouf who earn more but have contributed f'all. You'll get value for money from Didi.

Hits.
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
  • I'll show you that British craftsmanship is alive!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 12:21:44 am »
Neil, just a thought but have you ever considered a career in journalism?

Great post BTW
Werthers Hag

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 07:00:43 am »
Excellent post.

Didi's contribution is often forgotten.

I hope he signs on for next season.

Offline robertma

• Main Stander
  • Kopite for life
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 03:33:00 pm »
Great post

I won a nice bit of money on that game!!

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 03:40:41 pm »
Great post. You can trust Rafa to recognise quality players with the right mentality, and Didi is surely one of them. I'm sure that rafa will offer him a year or two, while making him clear that he'll be third choice in a 4-4-2 when Stevie & Alonso are fit/available.

Didi has also seen the way Rafa rotates players and knows he'll get plenty of chances at all levels, just ideal for his age. I would be very surprised if Didi left this summer.
Doubters to Believers