Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 919088 times)

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:45 am »
This is the match against Bayern last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xKb3pvDofA

Good passing around the 2 minute mark, no? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDffWf2bck

And a good pass to set up Henry for the first goal against Real Madrid last year. 

Still, what I've seen from Maradona impresses me more. A matter of tastes I guess.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »
Another masterclass from the lad tonight. Fantastic goal, outrageous pass for the second.

Just banged in another beauty!!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:25 pm »
Everything the lad does just amazes me. He deserved another for that dribble there. The scary thing is that he's still only 22 and will still be getting better for at least the next 5 years! Definitely the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching!

Offline Neoto

• Anny Roader
  • $_$
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
He should have scored a hat trick tonight. Could have had 4 goals had Lehmann not saved that header. Amazing through ball for Barca's second goal.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »
They wanted Riera in the summer, think they'll do a swap?
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:23 pm »
Best player in the world bar none. And that, is as stone cold a fact as you'll get..and not because stone cold said so..
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46:22 pm »

He's good but I'm glad we've got Kuyt.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:19 pm »
Best player in the world bar none. And that, is as stone cold a fact as you'll get..and not because stone cold said so..

Ab-so-fucking-lutely, bar a few deluded posters on here will tell you Rooney is just as good if not better.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 12:10:19 am »
Whatta plier!  Drool Drool......*  Whatta team!  The passing and movement is just exquiste.....totally opposite of Pool........  :(
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:49 am »
They wanted Riera in the summer, think they'll do a swap?

They want Nando......will you swap?  ;)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2010, 12:20:30 am »
They want Nando......will you swap?  ;)

Too right.
choose Life.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2010, 12:22:47 am »
The scariest thing about Messi is his age. He's got at least another five years of improvement. A mesmerising performance from him tonight, again.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:09 am »
 A joy to watch tonight, well done Mr Messi.........Now get your arse on that plane to Liverpool please..no need to bring a pen we have already got one...just sign on the dotted line.

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2010, 12:34:29 am »
The scariest thing about Messi is his age. He's got at least another five years of improvement. A mesmerising performance from him tonight, again.

absolutely. how can this man get better? but you just know he will...
JFT96

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:55 am »
One a scale of 1 to bloody brilliant, how good would it be for England to draw Argentina in one of the World Cup knock-out rounds, and for Messi to play a blinder while Rooney is anonymous? That would keep a few people quiet. (And it would annoy the jingoistic whoppers who'd inevitably become louder than usual if we drew the Argies.)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2010, 01:12:15 am »
While Ronaldo is greasing his hair and watching 1/4 finals of Champions League, Messi will be mesmerizing everybody in those matches ;D

He could have got a hat trick, kinda a disappointed that he didn't.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:01:47 am by Xxavi »

Offline Stevie-G

• Kopite
  • "IT'S WONDERFUL, IT'S MARVELOUS, ITS 3-3!"
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51:54 am »
" WE GO AGAIN! "

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2010, 06:01:34 am »
Fair dos, but I still regard Higuain in the second tier of strikers with the likes of Forlan, Milito, Anelka etc.
Tevez, Ibrahimovic, Adebayor are all better than him, too.

Dont agree with that at all. Higuain is better then all of them

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:41 am »
Fair dos, but I still regard Higuain in the second tier of strikers with the likes of Forlan, Milito, Anelka etc.
Tevez, Ibrahimovic, Adebayor are all better than him, too.

Of all the "top tier" strikers you have listed, I would have Higuain over them all.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:05 am »
The thing is Stuttgart were making it very difficult for Barcelona at the start of the match.  They were well organised.  They were asking Puyol, Pique and Busquets to make the play.  Barcelona had possession but they weren't really going anywhere.

Then Messi's goal and everything changes.  The confidence is up, Stuttgart start lacking belief etc. 

That's why this lad is brilliant.  He raises the level of the whole team and makes a difference when it looks like his side may struggle.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2010, 08:59:35 am »
One a scale of 1 to bloody brilliant, how good would it be for England to draw Argentina in one of the World Cup knock-out rounds, and for Messi to play a blinder while Rooney is anonymous? That would keep a few people quiet. (And it would annoy the jingoistic whoppers who'd inevitably become louder than usual if we drew the Argies.)

They would simply put it down to Rooney having a bad day and failing to turn up.

Offline Livid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:59 am »
Messi is a genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. Was saying to a mate last night that we should consider ourselves lucky to be able watch him live even on the telly. Twenty years from now kids will be watching youtube clips of him and saying shite like "he can't have been that good, the defending must have been awful in those days". Well he is that good.

As for comparing him with Rooney, I refer you to a quote from the lad himself. "I'm not even as skillful as Joe Cole".

If it bothers you that much that your wife couldn't join the 'Coloured Society', I suggest you divorce your wife and marry a black woman.  Problem solved.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28:28 am »
Messi is a genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. Was saying to a mate last night that we should consider ourselves lucky to be able watch him live even on the telly. Twenty years from now kids will be watching youtube clips of him and saying shite like "he can't have been that good, the defending must have been awful in those days". Well he is that good.

As for comparing him with Rooney, I refer you to a quote from the lad himself. "I'm not even as skillful as Joe Cole".

I know Zidane has been mentioned previously on this forum, and it is going off subject but I always feel similar about Zizou. Fortunate to watch Zidane, just on the TV, in his prime. Probably best player I have seen live is various Manchester United players. However probably the best performance was one which we won, the cup final 2001. Vieira was brilliant. Even though he got beat, I came away thinking that was unbelievable. Anyways Messi is brilliant, back on subject ha.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:05 am »
The thing is Stuttgart were making it very difficult for Barcelona at the start of the match.  They were well organised.  They were asking Puyol, Pique and Busquets to make the play.  Barcelona had possession but they weren't really going anywhere.

Then Messi's goal and everything changes.  The confidence is up, Stuttgart start lacking belief etc. 

That's why this lad is brilliant.  He raises the level of the whole team and makes a difference when it looks like his side may struggle.

Is correct...and puts to bed the silly point made earlier in the week that Messi cannot carry a team or raise its performance like Ronaldo can.

The evidence is clear...Messi is untouchable...just effortless genius game in, game out.
Not a single weakness in his game
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:24 am »
Player of the year this year?

A world cup trophy would cap it beautifully - but a lot can happen from here till then - we have seen teams playing less stylish football beat them in big tournaments.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2010, 11:11:14 am »
he was immense last night.makes it look easy too.Got to love watching Barca! Thing is Messi is only going to get better, which is outrageous! a total joy to watch,wanted that game to go on and on last night.really enjoyed it and his two goals were great, his through pass was immense, just an all round fantastic display.absolutely shits all over Rooney theres no question about it.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2010, 01:43:10 pm »
He was a bit quiet of late (by his amazing standards). Nice to see he's awaken, and reminded the people of the world, who is the number one.

There is nobody who is equal. Comparisons with other current challengers to his throne, are just merely a waste of time.

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2010, 04:07:16 pm »
he was immense last night.makes it look easy too.Got to love watching Barca! Thing is Messi is only going to get better, which is outrageous! a total joy to watch,wanted that game to go on and on last night.really enjoyed it and his two goals were great, his through pass was immense, just an all round fantastic display.absolutely shits all over Rooney theres no question about it.

Could easily have gotten 5 last night.
JFT96

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:57 am »
I checked redcafe and there are indeed ManU fans, not many mind, who believe that Rooney is on par, better or not far off Messi :lmao

Let alone Messi, Rooney is not even better than Ronaldo, full stop. He is world class and all that, but can't see winning games on his own when things aren't working for ManU. He just doesn't have that something special for me. At the moment, in terms of abilities

Messi
---miles----
Ronaldo
===miles===
the rest

If people consider this season performances only, then
Messi
-------
Ronaldo, Rooney, Cesc, Villa
-------
the rest

So while I quite like Rooney as a player, this media hype is gaining such a moment that even poor ManU fans are blinded ;D Rooney, in some ways like Iniesta and Xavi, clearly not the best in the world in terms of abilities, but does what he does in exceptional level. Sadly, this is not enough to be the best in the world, you need some extra magic, you have to be a genius to surpass Messi. That's why I wish Spain to win World Cup so that Xavi gets Golden Ball Award as a lifetime achievement. Yes, he is not the best, but players like Kaka, Cannavaro and Owen were never best too, when they got it.

PS The lists are from only England and Spain, the leagues I watch.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2010, 08:36:26 am »
Rooney does carry united though Xxavi.
Messi is about the closest thing to my perfect footballer as could be created.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2010, 10:19:44 am »
Rooney has been absolutely spectacular this season. But it's one fucking season. If he keeps it up next year then I'll truly give him credit. He's world class right now, but I still wouldn't put him in the very top echelon. But that may - sadly - come.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2010, 10:39:45 am »
messi,,,,,, messi is shite
he is worse than jason lee.. .. .  .. . . .

:D
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2010, 10:52:38 am »

This is sort of tempting fate, a player is a god at a young age, where have we seen that before? only for injuries to destroy from 24 onwards?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2010, 11:41:38 am »
This is sort of tempting fate, a player is a god at a young age, where have we seen that before? only for injuries to destroy from 24 onwards?

Exactly what crosses my mind everytime someone says he's just 22 and he's only going to get better, how many times have we seen players having the potential to become great but get destroyed by injuries?

If he does avoid injuries, I think he's on his way to becoming the best player to ever grace a football pitch.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2010, 08:47:04 pm »
Exactly what crosses my mind everytime someone says he's just 22 and he's only going to get better, how many times have we seen players having the potential to become great but get destroyed by injuries?

If he does avoid injuries, I think he's on his way to becoming the best player to ever grace a football pitch.
Putting aside the age thing, I just can't imagine how Messi can get better.
His dribbling and ball control can't be possibly improved.

Unless he starts scoring belters from 40 yards out in every match, just can't imagine how he can improve.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2010, 10:05:25 pm »
Putting aside the age thing, I just can't imagine how Messi can get better.
His dribbling and ball control can't be possibly improved.

Unless he starts scoring belters from 40 yards out in every match, just can't imagine how he can improve.

He has improved on free kicks but I agree it's hard to imagine what else he could improve on.  His right-footed shooting/passing perhaps, playing on the left wing where he feels less comfortable?.  I'd say tracking back but in our system it's not a big issue and it would take away from his attacking play (energy, positioning)

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2010, 08:18:24 pm »
As well as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8

I think that there are people who are not fully aware of Maradona's dimension as a player, that's it, all that he could offer on a football pitch.

Fuck me that was incredible. The pass on 5:05 :o Never realized he was such a great passer.
ynwa

Offline indian magic

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »
Looked at the date of the first post.. and I thought "eh"..... there is already a dedicated thread  to the genius Messi (from last year).....  and I found it at

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=235272.0

Can they not be merged ,,,,,  as the first thread contains some well written tributes/ comments
ISTANBUL- ATATURK- WEST STAND-UPPER- 25th to 26th MAY 2005.:
Greatest TWO days of my life (at the time);

Then Athens 2007 was good;
Superseded by Kyiv 2018 (off the scale);
and then the Glorious Magical Week in Madrid 2019;
and now Paris 2022 ( a tad Vanilla ); more Champs Leagues Finals we await.

FORZA DIEGO MARADONA.
Allez Les Rouges.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2010, 12:55:18 pm »
He has improved on free kicks but I agree it's hard to imagine what else he could improve on.  His right-footed shooting/passing perhaps, playing on the left wing where he feels less comfortable?.  I'd say tracking back but in our system it's not a big issue and it would take away from his attacking play (energy, positioning)

That's the crux of it, he can only improve so much now, his ability is up there close to his potential im guessing, it's been seen on many a boy genius, how it's sustained is a totally different story.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »
By getting better I am sure your referring to things such as decision making, when to make the runs and when not to, positioning and all that rather than actual footballing skill.

Xxavi says that he can be very greedy so I am sure that way he may improve. Stuff like that really.