Author Topic: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC  (Read 31855 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »
Colin Pascoe has a big part in it, by the sounds of this. Here's Chris Davies (Head of Opposition Analysis) from 2011 talking about his role under Rodgers, he talks about set pieces from about 1:00. This could have changed now, though. I'd be interested to see how good Swansea were at set pieces under Rodgers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_1Dx3wgCP8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9_1Dx3wgCP8</a>

Thanks. I'd actually seen that before, but it got me thinking... do you think that is a tool that Brendan uses during a game? It wouldn't surprise me if he has someone monitoring trends and player maps for tactical and fitness reasons that he could take a peek at during half time or even be fed some bits of information throughout the game.

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:35 pm »
It was told two decades ago, Jhonty Rhodes improves Catch After Catch, while most fielders improve match after match. E2K I think improves post after post. What a Killer post mate.

Thanks for mentioning Mumbai though. I'm from Hyderabad India. I told my team mates a month ago that should Liverpool win the league I will take them all for a Dinner. Looking at the celebrations at Cheers Bar Sydney, I dont think I have the vocals or the exuberance or the explicit expressions to mach those celebrations but surely I will hold the scarf and celebrate. I also vow to put a Liverpool Logo on my to be built house and shall come one day to Anfield to watch Reds play few games. I just hope that the Indian Reds are not like the glory hunting Indian Red Devil fans who dessert their team when nothing is going for them though. At those tough times when my patronage started in 2002-03, LFC was never Love at first sight, but am glad I made a wonderful choice.

Yesterday 2-0 I thought it was a routine big win against Big teams. But when they threw some tough questions during the game, we had answers for them and were able to come on top.
You Will Never Walk Alone..

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 09:01:35 pm »

Fucking ace post. I was excited by Sterling but he had his dip and when that happens you just wait. Well, that's what you should do - he's a kid, he needs time. Some scoffed but dips are a natural part of the game for any kid. Now I watch him and I can only agree with you, he has the potential to be a world class footballer: he's more than pace as you say, he's got a football brain that none of those he's compared to could even get close to matching.

There will be more ups and downs but if we stick with him and he keeps sticks with his work we will get to watch a truly exceptional footballer develop in front of our eyes once again. :)

(HA, although I did look back through my own posts on Sterling and describe him as "not a finisher, really" - wrong! And questioned his tracking back, although I have to say I think he's improved that side of his game astonishingly this year.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:48:50 pm by robgomm »

royhendo

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:16 pm »
What's more interesting is that there doesn't seem to be any signals from the taker as to the set-up, so it must be triggered by the players in the box, with the taker observing the box organisation and sending the appropriate delivery (Coutinho on the near post, then deliver it to Skrtel; Sturridge on the near post, send it towards the penalty spot, etc).

Stevie definitely signals when he takes them.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
I think the strikers' issues on Sunday were only tangentially related to the diamond. Pellegrini took Stevie's "all the best" about leaving his defenders 2-v-2 against Suarez and Sturridge very seriously, and--unlike most teams these days--played a true, narrow back 4. Suarez and Sturridge were always going to struggle 2-v-4, but this also opened up a ton of space between the lines for Sterling.

It wasn't simply an observation of the City game, but an impression over the period we've played the diamond and, in particular, how that's coincided with perhaps Sturridge's quietest spell of the season. It would be interesting (and you're probably the ideal responder :)) to see how the shots/chances figures stack up over the two different approaches.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:50 pm »
“Life is never easy for those who dream.” —  Robert James Waller

Yesterday certainly wasn't easy by any means. But then again: who honestly thought that it would be? This season has often felt like a dream with the odd nightmare thrown in for good measure. The football at times has been exhilarating and the good has outweighed the bad. Brendan Rodgers has created a beautiful monster. The ruthlessness of it all. I feel like I'm about to wake up at any given point. And to think, Brendan hasn't even got his seat warm yet. There is more to come - there will be more days like this I'm sure.

Many will say that yesterday was a game of two halves and they wouldn't be wrong. We arguably dominated the majority of the first half - creating clear chances and deserving to take the lead. The second half of course would have gone to Manchester City. Yesterday was another day in which more and more eyes turned their attention towards us. For a while, we'd been seen as the great pretenders. The team answered those questions yet again. They started with a purpose that we've seen many times this season - home and away (no, not that home and away!) This is isn't just something that we've done at Anfield. We've been doing this away from home too at times. We've been taking the game to the teams and asking them a simple question: can you handle us?

The first goal was pure magic. The ball from Luis Suarez was perfectly weighted. Sterling did not oblige in giving us the start that we had craved. He was put under pressure and questions were asked of him - but he remained cool and calm and his composure in that situation was excellent. He has shown this season that he isn't just the winger. He has played very well as a number ten too. The fact that he is adapting his game and the fact that Brendan Rodgers has recognised and allowed him to play in different positions is very telling. It shows that Brendan Rodgers isn't afraid to try different things or give players a chance to express themselves in different positions and areas of the pitch. It is nice to see that Raheem won't be pigeon holed.

It wouldn't be long before Martin Skrtel made it two. It was definitely coming. Steven Gerrard had just had his effort saved before Skrtel scored and it was Gerrard that took the corner which led to the second goal. People often talk about other players contributing goals for the team - Sterling now has seven league goals for the season - as does Martin Skrtel. Both have scored some crucial goals this season. Maybe they're the new SAS.

It seems strange to think that Martin Skrtel was seemingly heading towards the exit door. I thought that he was gone. But what a turnaround. He really has performed well this season. He made some excellent interceptions yesterday and contributed another goal as mentioned above. The same could be said of Jordan Henderson. He was seemingly almost heading towards the exit door. I'm not sure how close either came to actually leaving but I'm glad that they're still here. I thought that Jordan Henderson was brilliant too. In fact, I really can't fault any of the team. It wasn't an easy game but they've given so much this season. People will talk about the real SAS having 'off' days by their own standards but they both did more than enough during the match. It isn't always about them scoring. They offer so much more than that.

Despite the excellent start, it was clear that Manchester City had started to impose themselves on the fixture just before the break. But then again? What did we expect? At this level you aren't going to dominate for ninety minutes against teams that are up there in the title race with you. The second half was far more difficult for us. We started to lose control in dangerous areas. The introduction of James Milner caused us some serious problems. David Silva and Samir Nasri will take a lot of the plaudits and rightfully so for their performances, but the James Milner was superb - his movement and passing causing us some serious problems at times.  There is no denying that Manchester City deserved to find themselves back in the game. We had been wasteful; despite finding ourselves 2-0 up. It was strange.

After the game went to 2-2 you felt that it was going to be one of those days. Manchester City would probably take the lead and we would rue some of those chances that we hadn't taken. And yet, despite this no doubt being a general feeling for many of us; I felt that we just needed to get forward and have another chance. That's all we needed. We're capable of creating chances. We're capable of scoring goals. Manchester City aren't streets ahead of us in the defensive department either. We'd been giving them some serious problems but our decision making at times wasn't good enough in those situations.

I find it funny how you can celebrate goals differently. The way in which I celebrated the Coutinho goal was slightly different to how I celebrated the Sterling and Skrtel goals. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either. I am doing my best to not compare the goals because every goal that we scored was clearly important. However, the Coutinho goal was so unexpected. Before Sterling and Skrtel scored, we had been dominating possession and creating chances. So you felt, based on how we've done this season in the final third, that we would get a goal sooner or later. And if we didn't, then it probably wasn't going to be our day.

The Coutinho goal was arguably against the run of play as they say. Nobody could have expected Vincent Kompany to make such a meal of a clearance that he has made many times in the past. I know that Kompany had suffered a minor knock prior to the game but even so. It was pretty basic defending! I'm sure that Demichelis will be having a word. There was little doubt when it fell to Coutinho though. Coutinho had been like a man on a mission from the very start. He had a few attempts go aimlessly wide but he threatened. With regards to his goal: his technique was absolutely stunning in that particular situation. I do love those goals though - when your side aren't dominating a match and then they get one chance and put it away. That's what this team can also do. They held on and kept the dream alive.

JFT96.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:01 pm »
Gary Flitcroft's bad head
Close, but no cigar.

*Never realised how he(Flitcroft) was the double for one of Gregory's mates in Gregory's Girl*

Anyway, clue number 2 - its not Steve Daley.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »
I've seen all of our games this season, and I've seen many other Premier League matches this season - none of them come close to yesterday's in terms of the quality of football on show. Generally in big games featuring title rivals over the years they are tight and tense affairs, yesterday was anything but. It was the two best footballing teams in the country putting on a stunning spectacle for the many millions watching around the world.

In the red corner, Liverpool- managed by a young talented British boss, full of England players, a couple of Scousers, a couple of South American geniuses, two hard as nails defenders and a Belgian in goal used to being involved in relegation battles at this stage of the season rather than title races. Roared on by a fired up, emotional crowd.

In the blue corner, Manchester City- managed by a classy Chilean, short on England players, no locals, but sure as hell insanely talented with the best playmaker in the country living up to his 'Merlin' tag alongside his impressive supporting cast. Backed loudly by a respectful several thousand from down the east Lancs road.

Red v Blue. Liverpool v Manchester. But not our main rivals from that neck of the woods. United's noisy neighbours.

The game lived up to its billing, and then some. A game that was set up perfectly for the skilful players to light up the stage that was set (Sterling, Silva, Coutinho). A game in which, surprisingly, the big players had off days (Kompany, Suarez, Sturridge, Toure unfortunately injured); bar one, that of course being the emotionally-charged, incredibly desperate Liverpool captain, one Steven Gerrard, who put in his biggest shift in years.

The football was glorious, both teams would have been worthy winners. Ultimately, however, it was Liverpool's day. It was always going to be, really, as difficult as that was to believe at 2-2 when the Reds looked knackered, City revitalised; even more difficult to believe when the returning Sergio Aguero played the ball across the box for the onrushing David Silva... alas, it didn't matter. It was another little magician who got the winning goal. It was Liverpool's day ahead of the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, playing at home to a Manchester club. Just as it was Liverpool's day when the other lot from the other side of the east Lancs road came to town a day before Bill Shankly's 100th anniversary. Some things are just meant to be.

P.S. Not too long back Twitter timelines were awash with Bayern Munich's current (then) run of form - WWWWWWWWDWWWWWDWWWWWWWWW, or something equally silly.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future (this time next month), tweets will display Liverpool's 2014 record in the Premier League - WWDWDWWWWWWWWWW

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 10:53:43 pm »
How many players in one's time watching Liverpool gave you that instant thrill and buzz of anticipation when they get on the ball in a certain area of the pitch?

Then, how many of those are in this team now?
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online The Cobbler

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:43 pm »
There is no game quite like football for cruelly toying with your senses and emotions. Make us dream is the banner that all of us see home and away but even the banner itself is cruel because you want to dream but somehow feel frightened to take that step in case you somehow put a jinx on the team!

As if anything I do or say from the middle of the main stand is going to make the slightest difference to decisions or performances by those in the team on the pitch. But to me it does because I'm playing the game too.  This is not watching a football match it's being bound up in it.

Other people can describe the action and the incidents but at 2-2 I knew we'd score another goal. Call it intuition, blind faith whatever you like, I never doubted it. I just kept saying to Kev who sits next to me, believe it will come. Kev by this time is covered in bruises from head to waistline as I've headed every ball that Martin Skrtel has nodded out, with appropriate use of elbows. I don't even know I'm doing it but Kev does and accepts as part of the contest.

I can't actually move when Coutinho scores as I have frozen in time. I look around and see pandemonium all around me and it's like an out of body experience. I am being hugged and danced with by people whose normal idea of celebrating is often ' and about fuckin time too' if we score. It's beyond analysis and who cares anyway.

I'm supposedly one of the fortunate ones because I've had the pleasure of seeing the glory days of the 60's, 70's and 80's - I watched Hunt & St John, King Kenny and Ian Rush - but this season is something else. In the old days we were the best, the big dogs who ate everybody else for dinner. We expected to win the league every season and usually did. We became complacent - it was never going to end was it?

Now I believe that we will do it this season. It's like 2005 over again. Ask anybody who was in the Stadio Del Alpe in Turin night we got that 0-0 away to Juventus when the final whistle blew how they felt, because it was the same feeling yesterday when Clattenburg's whistle sounded at about 3.28.

You just know it's going to be. We were meant to win the champions league in 2005 and it will be so for the league in 2014. We are not the best squad in the league but that's irrelevant. It's a coming together of forces and momentum. A crushing if emotionally crucifying inevitability.

Make us dream?- I'm fuckin terrified - but strangely serene at the same time. Bring them all on - especially the evil empire on Sunday 27th. They stood in our way in 2005 as well and if it takes another phantom goal to get past them so be it. It will be horrible and ugly but we will make it.

It's a cliche but it is 1 game at a time- just tick them off . If there was any logic to football, we'd have lost yesterday. What a genius that David Silva was in that second half, but even he can't defy the inevitable.

This is meant to be.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 11:15:51 pm »
Others have, as always, brilliantly covered the game itself, so I thought I’d write a little tribute to Raheem instead.

I enjoyed that.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:16 am »
I must have watched the gif of the Coutinho goal about 2000 times over with a smile on my face and a warm feeling inside ;D The goal was fantastic, running away from goal (not since this goal by Obafemi Martins have I been so amazed by a player getting as much power on a strike while seemingly going in the wrong direction...) and demonstrating lightning quick reactions to get there first in the first place.

But it wasn't just for the outstanding quality of the strike or for the incredible euphoria of that moment that I wanted to keep reliving it. It was also because IMO it represents the standout aspect of our result yesterday (I say the result, not the match, because the match and the day of course had so many aspects that made it incredibly special, poignant and indeed moving), which was that we fought back from adversity, against season-long title favourites to achieve it. We'd been fantastic in the first half but been steamrollered by a resurgent City in the second who undid all our good work inside 5 minutes and left us looking shaken and more likely to lose than win. But we didn't let our heads drop, we reorganised, regrouped, worked our way back into the game and pressured City into making a mistake from which Coutinho got his goal, then we kept our heads and saw the game out. Man City played at their brilliant best for most of the match and we still came out on top. Our team have developed the belief and togetherness, and with our run the confidence and belief of a team that know they can find a win whatever the opposition throw at them, necessary to get that win yesterday. It feels like this result, along with or last-minute win at Fulham, and perhaps less gloriously our holding out against Sunderland despite seemingly being determined to bin it from 2-0 up, are signs of the team finding a strength that we have lacked for several rather turbulent preceding years. We haven't got to 10 wins with an easy run - you could add our 'if you score, we'll just score more' games against Swansea and Cardiff to that list, West Ham's goal...and that's more than half of our matches on our current winning run where we've had to recover from setbacks to win.

Our current form, our league position and our prospects with 4 matches remaining are all fantastic but they are also representative in general club going from strength to strength in spirit and management (somewhat cringeworthy kit launches notwithstanding ;) ), and as long as stability can be maintained as far as possible, that should stand us in good strength for much longer than just the end of this incredible season. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:20:23 am by Red Flag »

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:18 am »
a player getting as much power on a strike while seemingly going in the wrong direction...) and demonstrating lightning quick reactions to get there first in the first place.

Futsal...Coutinho was definitely a futsal player. You can see it in his movement on the ball, his passing and how quickly he can innovate. Love this guy!

There's not much more I can add to what's been said above - a couple of quick comments though (this was the first match I've watched in full for months):

- Johnson was pretty flat. He was out of position in defence for the second goal and seemed slow in attack. Henderson's work rate disguised Johnson's flaws to an extent though.
- Sturridge is clearly exhausted, but who could blame him after this season.
- MOTM could have gone to Coutinho, Stevie or Sterling. For me, Coutinho just about edged it ahead of our Captain (who's workrate is just amazing. Amazing).
- Our fluency in attack is scary. For the first time in years, I felt like we were going to score every time we attacked...Coutinho is EXACTLY the kind of layer I love to watch, hope to fuck he stays fit and stays with us!
- Brendan Rodgers...perfect. In every way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:40:40 pm by Fulla »
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:50 am »
E2K ... brilliant post yet again. At 2-2, After Mignolet saved from Dzeko and that Silva missed, I thought it;s just a matter of time before they got a third. And we will be dead and buried.

For Coutinho to put us back infront against all odds, it can't be anything but divine intervention. Just like in Istanbul, I am pretty certain that the we are destinied to win this.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 06:05:43 am »
I must have watched the gif of the Coutinho goal about 2000 times over with a smile on my face and a warm feeling inside ;D The goal was fantastic, running away from goal (not since this goal by Obafemi Martins have I been so amazed by a player getting as much power on a strike while seemingly going in the wrong direction...) and demonstrating lightning quick reactions to get there first in the first place.

But it wasn't just for the outstanding quality of the strike or for the incredible euphoria of that moment that I wanted to keep reliving it. It was also because IMO it represents the standout aspect of our result yesterday (I say the result, not the match, because the match and the day of course had so many aspects that made it incredibly special, poignant and indeed moving), which was that we fought back from adversity, against season-long title favourites to achieve it. We'd been fantastic in the first half but been steamrollered by a resurgent City in the second who undid all our good work inside 5 minutes and left us looking shaken and more likely to lose than win. But we didn't let our heads drop, we reorganised, regrouped, worked our way back into the game and pressured City into making a mistake from which Coutinho got his goal, then we kept our heads and saw the game out. Man City played at their brilliant best for most of the match and we still came out on top. Our team have developed the belief and togetherness, and with our run the confidence and belief of a team that know they can find a win whatever the opposition throw at them, necessary to get that win yesterday. It feels like this result, along with or last-minute win at Fulham, and perhaps less gloriously our holding out against Sunderland despite seemingly being determined to bin it from 2-0 up, are signs of the team finding a strength that we have lacked for several rather turbulent preceding years. We haven't got to 10 wins with an easy run - you could add our 'if you score, we'll just score more' games against Swansea and Cardiff to that list, West Ham's goal...and that's more than half of our matches on our current winning run where we've had to recover from setbacks to win.

Our current form, our league position and our prospects with 4 matches remaining are all fantastic but they are also representative in general club going from strength to strength in spirit and management (somewhat cringeworthy kit launches notwithstanding ;) ), and as long as stability can be maintained as far as possible, that should stand us in good strength for much longer than just the end of this incredible season. :)

I am watching the full match for the seventh time since Sunday.  Its freaking brilliant.  Two very good teams and skillful players --- going back and forth.  When the coaches and players say to stay calm, I am reminded of just how special our team is and that we respond to very good teams in unpredictable and often clever ways.  After the seventh showing, I am more and more impressed with the team and their coaching.  Man management quotes all point to how special Rodgers is.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:06 am »
Quote from: Hinesy link=topic=313327.msg12698180#msg12698180

The little'uns showed up today, Coutinho and Sterling showed strength and skill, how valuable was Coutinho's strike at the end?

Cout's strike killed their momentum. For once, I thought we were going to lose the game with the turned tide in the 2nd half. That is the sign of CHAMPS.

Skrtel's strike was a 'Kompany' trademark header at near post from set pieces.
A real insult for Kompany that Skrt did one on him!   ;D

Onward and UPWARD!
YNWA!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:49 am »
Cout's strike killed their momentum. For once, I thought we were going to lose the game with the turned tide in the 2nd half. That is the sign of CHAMPS.

I found that very strange indeed, how a top team would just "give up" after Coutinho's goal. I've said it before that perhaps they felt we were destined to win and they were mentally beaten by that goal. I mean, they could have gone and done what they've been doing in the second half but all of a sudden, the wind just deserted their sail.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 07:43:07 am »
I found that very strange indeed, how a top team would just "give up" after Coutinho's goal. I've said it before that perhaps they felt we were destined to win and they were mentally beaten by that goal. I mean, they could have gone and done what they've been doing in the second half but all of a sudden, the wind just deserted their sail.

Destiny BECKONS!  :)

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:20 am »
Destiny BECKONS!  :)
Well, we're not there yet but there is belief now. Another 4 more big big matches. Oooo.... the pressure mounts

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 08:15:49 am »
Well, we're not there yet but there is belief now. Another 4 more big big matches. Oooo.... the pressure mounts

Nice feeling compared with those lost years.
This 25th anniversary year of Hillsborough feels like a Year of the RED Wind of Change. 

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 08:16:36 am »
E2K ... brilliant post yet again. At 2-2, After Mignolet saved from Dzeko and that Silva missed, I thought it;s just a matter of time before they got a third. And we will be dead and buried.

For Coutinho to put us back infront against all odds, it can't be anything but divine intervention. Just like in Istanbul, I am pretty certain that the we are destinied to win this.

If you believe in destiny then you assume things are out of your own hands. This isn't divine intervention - it's good coaching getting the players to be at their best and a lot of fucking hard work and dedication. No offence intended if you're religious but it's belittling the achievement of the players to give credit to any one but them and the coaching staff.

They need to believe in themselves, not be looking for help from somewhere or someone else.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:42 am »
If you believe in destiny then you assume things are out of your own hands. This isn't divine intervention - it's good coaching getting the players to be at their best and a lot of fucking hard work and dedication. No offence intended if you're religious but it's belittling the achievement of the players to give credit to any one but them and the coaching staff.

They need to believe in themselves, not be looking for help from somewhere or someone else.

Cant help it but..........perhaps some help from above caused Kompany's clearance to fall to our technically best player?   :thumbup

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:11 am »
Nice feeling compared with those lost years.
This 25th anniversary year of Hillsborough feels like a Year of the RED Wind of Change. 

Again, no offence intended but the fight for justice is far more important than winning the league. If they happen in the same year that's great but personally I'm not comfortable with them being linked in a post match thread.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:57 am »
This season feels right in so many ways, and the city game highlights that... but I've got a doubt, and I don’t know why its nagging so much!!

I genuinely believed we could beat city, I wasn’t that worried before kick-off, (shitting it at 2-1 and 2-2 however…!) and thought 3 points was more assured than not... the way they play would benefit us... it’s the Chelsea and Palace games I fear now... Mourinho and Pullis!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!

I just want more light between us and the others...
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:18 am »
I've just travelled 2 years from the past where Brendan Rodgers is still Swansea manager.
Are you telling me this guy is managing LIVERPOOL?
Are you telling me Liverpool are top of the league with 4 to play?
Are you telling me an Inter Milan reject was MOTM contender in a title decider?
Are you telling me the other MOTM contender was a 19 year old winger playing out of position?
Are you telling me Brendan Rodgers doesn't play with wingers?
Are you telling me Brendan Rodgers loaned out Reina for Mignolet?
Are you telling me Brendan Rodgers doesn't even play possession football?
Are you telling me Gerrard is now playing the Lucas role & has that many goals & assists?
Are you telling me that Suarez is scoring a goal a game average. The same profligate Suarez?
Are you telling me that Chelsea reject Sturridge is the league's second highest scorer for Liverpool?
Are you telling me that players such as Flanagan, Henderson & Skrtel are key players in a potentially title winning team?
Are you telling me Anfield's atmosphere no longer rivals a library?
Are you telling me Liverpool are the league's most exciting, entertaining & highest scoring team?

How can I expect anyone to believe me when I travel back?

Wait a minute, wait a minute.....

Are you telling me that Manchester United are now a mid table team & the manager is David Moyes?

Is this real life? I only travelled 2 years! TWO!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:37 am »
Too many great posts in here but the thing that stood out for me,looking back, was how in awe of our pace and sheer speed of attack/ transition city were. They knew we'd break quickly. They'd watched the videos of us vs arsenal, spurs, untied et al. But were powerless to do anything about it.
Yes they gave us some of our own medicine, second half. But seeing champion contenders baffled, thinking "what the hell do we do about this?" was a joy to behold.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:22 am »
"Coutinho or Sterling? Sterling or Coutinho?"

Just about every other manager in the history of the Premier League would be asking that question before the start of a game. "Can't play both. Obviously. Certainly not against the Title favourites. Which one shall I play?" Common sense says that if you play a Spitfire you must have a Lancaster Bomber alongside him.

Rodgers lacks that kind of common sense though. He knows it's the common sense that will get you 6th place, 4th if you get lucky. Sterling and Coutinho aren't alternatives to him. You don't leave all that skill and know-how idle on the bench. They take the field together.

Of course there's this too. Both players look light weight. They look as though they might be liabilities when we don't have the ball. Once upon a time they might have been. But you don't get in a Rodgers team unless you know how to get the ball back. Within five minutes of the start on Sunday Coutinho had smashed into Nasri and Clichy and lifted their wallets. He did the same to Zabaleta in the run-up to the winner. Sterling then out-jumped Yaya Toure for a header and muscled Fernandinho off the ball. They harried and harassed when LIverpool didn't have the ball and tortured Man City when we did have it. Both these 'lighweights' have been re-equipped for the modern game by their coach and now stand on the threshold of being genuine world beaters - the envy of the division and several other European leagues as well. Roy Hodgson will a beneficiary this summer when he gets to pick his England team for the opening game. Will Scolari be a beneficiary too when he choses his starting XI? More fool them if the Brazilians leave the lad behind. Without him they're looking at 4th place. Which was Man of the Match on Sunday? Probably both.

And what a game! Probably the match of the season. Football supporters all over the world were watching and taking note on Sunday. It makes you stupidly proud to be a Red to know that we put on such a show. Not just the coach and the players, but the supporters too. The din was deafening and relentless. The anthem before the game was beautiful, the commemoration of Hillsborough perfect - that little breeze swirling around the stadium and turning all the players' kits into rippling flags.

I like Pellegrini. I like him as a man and as a coach. For the next home game we get a clot and an egotist. Someone more interested in gamesmanship than the game. For this one we got dignity - including the hardest thing, dignity in defeat.

I think we deserved to win. Both defences, stocked as they are with excellent players, were reduced at times to shambles. Kompany, possibly only three-quarters fit, made a dreadful hash of his clearance to give Phil the chance to guide in the winner - and what technique from him (he looked like a question mark when he hit the ball). The Man City defender was also lucky not to concede a penalty too when Suarez got goal-side and was bundled to the ground. At the same time Sakho got away with a dire piece of defending on Dzeko and Skrtel did his pre-concussion defending by diving in on Aguero, leaving his fellow centre-back to work out angles and timings to prevent the Argentine and David Silva combining for the winner. And, right at the death, Skrtel gave Mignolet a lesson on how to punch the ball. No arguments there if the whistle had blown.

But, over all, it would have been an injustice.  Both sides were good, but we were the better. Gerrard showed the world that he's still one of its greatest players. It was a near flawless performance. Flicks, trademark clips with the outside of the boot, pressure-relieving passes, gargantuan tackles and then, to finish off, the Scouse version of Henry V as the lads prepare for the Battle of Carrow Road. What a skipper! Down at the Bridge they have a racist and an egomaniac in charge. Here we have a man. And how the players must want to play for Stevie, to win for him.

I loved Flanagan's performance. It wasn't perfect since (the weirdly underrated) Milner asked some very awkward questions when he came on (although, to be fair, it was Henderson's ball-watching that created the space for Milner to set up the first). But Flanno stuck at it and figured things out. Gerrard trusts him, doesn't he? And he should do. He seems nerveless and never shies away from the ball. He uses it well too, moving smartly away from the rucks and into space when he's got the chance. And some of those tackles! It was like watching Joey Jones out there in the last 20 minutes.

Sturridge had an off-day, belying my prediction that he'd be Man of the Match against his old club. Suarez was wonderful though, the one dive aside. Others have mentioned the great bit of Kenny bum-shovelling to set up the first. But what about that disguised left-footed pass, soon after, that might have made it three? For once Sterling, on the penalty spot, was on his heels and the ball drifted past him. This is the thing with Suarez. Like all truly World-Class players he does things that you've never seen before. Somehow you've got to be prepared for them. Sterling will be next time.

That is why we're genuine contenders by the way. Sterling really will be ready next time. I think back to Torres in his pomp at Anfield. Yes, he had Stevie up there operating superbly in the spaces behind him. But Dirk Kuyt and Albert Riera?  They tried but they were admirers of Torres not collaborators. This time it's different. Suarez sets the tone, but players like Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho can harmonise with him, add stuff, take the game and the argument on. It's a helluva thing to have to defend against.

So, if we play to that level in the remaining games we'll win the league. Yes, there's some good players and at least one effective team yet to oppose us. But no one is on the level of Silva. And no one will be moving the ball so quickly and intelligently around our penalty area like Man City were doing on Sunday. Losing Henderson's a bit of a blow. He's a much improved player, though by no means an indispensable one. Joe Allen and Lucas Leiva lack his lungs and his swiftness but they're better on the ball and they're better at getting it back. For once, despite the money bags still being elsewhere, we have a proper squad.  I think we'll be all right. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2014, 11:11:37 am »

Hopefully, in the not too distant future (this time next month), tweets will display Liverpool's 2014 record in the Premier League - WWDWDWWWWWWWWWW

Absolutely tribute should be paid to City.  They are one fine team playing some very fine football and they are a bit of hard nails themselves.  The match's quality can't be disputed.

I like the way we did not let our head drop and slowly claw back some football and control, though still on the back foot after their equalizer. 

At the end of the day, WE, above and on earth, WANT IT MORE.  Our captain makes sure of that.

Amen.

royhendo

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:29 am »
snip

snip

snip

This site has some wonderful, wonderful writers. Thanks all.

And ElstonGunn - Rodgers famously said his Swansea front six was mostly consisted of converted wingers. Imagine what he'll do with Ibe... and the rest!

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:12 pm »
Stevie Gerrard has been the captain for many a year but for me he has only really grasped it in this last 6 months, before this he was a leader by  just taking control of everything and trying to do it all himself...now he has matured into all of a sudden.

Think back, people said for years Carra was the real leader of the team not Gerrard

His reaction at the end of the game was like nothing i have seen from him before, even in big games, even in istanbul he previously led more by doing what he does as a all action player...but here and now it seems so different, i think Rodgers has to take a lot of credit for it as well...

As for the game, think Allen had a decent influence when he came on, we gained a foothold in midfield but also very much agree with a earlier post (opening post??) Flanno's tackle and his input during that final 20 mins played a bloody big part, it was like, "were fucked, but were not lying down, were not giving up"....loved it, was every bit as nervous during that last 10 as i was during the chelsea semi back in 2005...

royhendo

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »
And ElstonGunn - Rodgers famously said his Swansea front six was mostly consisted of converted wingers. Imagine what he'll do with Ibe... and the rest!

It really whets my appetite this. That 'bum shovelling' capacity and balletic balance and turning ability through the midfield is quite a scary prospect. The players are becoming phenomenally difficult to mark and challenge for the ball.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
His reaction at the end of the game was like nothing i have seen from him before, even in big games, even in istanbul he previously led more by doing what he does as a all action player...but here and now it seems so different, i think Rodgers has to take a lot of credit for it as well...

Not necessarily disagreeing with your other points but I think the reaction on Sunday was as much about the occasion as the result or anything Rodgers has done.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
Stevie Gerrard has been the captain for many a year but for me he has only really grasped it in this last 6 months, before this he was a leader by  just taking control of everything and trying to do it all himself...now he has matured into all of a sudden.

Think back, people said for years Carra was the real leader of the team not Gerrard

I think it's disingenuous to think that the player has 'just got it', when what has really changed is (some) fans' perception of him as captain. Other players, whether stars brought in or youngsters brought through, have always spoken of his leadership qualities, not just 'leading by example', for years. Houllier recognised his leadership qualities at a young age but made him 'wait and mature' until getting the captaincy at 23. Rafa kept him as captain throughout.

I think it's (some) fans who have 'only really grasped it' recently.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 01:25:26 pm »
In games of this magnitude, its all about the detail and getting the basics right. We at times didn't and it showed and the same goes for city, getting the basics right is imperative.

Chelsea in two weeks time will be exactly the same, all about the detail and getting the basics right.

I read this in the post game match thread and thought it sums up nicely where we are at the moment as it was a little bit about falling back into old habits when it came to the few mistakes we made. Preventing crosses, varying the pace, not pushing on minutes before half time, defending as a team with the strikers helping out in crucial periods of a game. Of course in big games there will be times when it`s about thunder only, the momentum, the crowd, the emotions but you will get punished when forgetting about the basics, and as chopper wrote, the details will be toothless then.

I really admire Flanagan for his will and how he, similar to Henderson, worked himself into games and into the squad but similar to Cardiff away, our opponent figured him to be the weak spot and attacked him tireless in this second half, exposing his weakness in terms of positioning and figuring the right timing for preventing a cross, for holding the line when sitting deep. His energy, pace and workrate does make up for that in most of the games but still he has to work on this, maybe looking at Cissokho, who is probably the exact opposite of what Flanno is all about as a player, with very good timing and tactical positioning whenever we are pushed back (but lacking pace and energy at the same time in contrast to Flanno). Make no mistake, all four of our upcoming opponents will do exatly the same, trying to make use of the space whenever he, Flanno, is too wide and/or not holding the defending line.

Don't get me wrong, Flanno had a good game overall, but City is a top team and we won't be able to make the difference with workrate only to support our great atttacking qualities when playing CL/PL football three games a week. In this regard, I think this game was a perfect display of those litte margins which are still missing, similar to City away....we were not able to vary the pace when needed, especially towards the end of the first half, when there was nothing to win but a lot to lose. We kind of wasted our energy with pushing on despite being 2 up with the consequence of some alibi passing in the final third which lead to the players having to make the extra yards behind the ball, wasted energy the team was missing in the second half....Gerrard pointed it out in his post game interview, the longest minutes he ever experienced.

Gerrard himself had a top game, pretty astonishing to watch how he adopted to the holding role, his tackles and his discipline where outstanding. But as a captain and the anchor of the team in the holding role I hoped he would be dictating the tempo of our game a wee bit, playing it safe and sound at the back, resting with the ball, calming the likes of Henderson and Sterling not pressing on for an entire 45 minutes as it's impossible to play this sort of game for the entire length of a game anyway. Of course he has the skills to do so, he switched to this new role only couple of weeks before and I am sure he will manage to make those last steps for becoming one of the best holding midfielders in the next couple of seasons.

I also think the team was a little suprised City not giving up early and coming back into the game, as well as being suprised that so much energy has already been wasted, and it took us almost 25 minutes in this second half in order  to switch to "defending"-mode, Suarez and Sturridge totally forgetting to help out  which made it easy for City to make use of the space provided. We weren't narrow enough, Rodgers reacted with bringing on Allen and from that moment on it was an open game with us being a little bit more lucky at the end. Don't get me wrong, we deserved to win, just as City, it was a top game and little bit of luck in details needed as there is no perfection on this level and pace of football being played. When it comes to detail I would wish for Sturridge to practice making use of his right foot more often, he would easily put the ball into the net in the first half after this early cross from Sterling, unfortunately he tried with his left foot which was pretty much an impossible task... he is an oustanding player/talent but similiar to the entire team, as chopper pointed out correctly, we still have to work on some detail while not forgetting about the basics. The next four games will be toughest of the season, nerves and all that and if we don't forget about the basics, we will win the title, I am pretty sure of this.

Hendersons tackle, to me, looked like a consequence of him being physically exhausted for quite some weeks now, the lad did an outstanding job so far and hopefully his body will get a proper rest in these couple of weeks as there is a danger of overplaying him just as we did with Lucas a couple of years ago. Lucas will probably come back for Norwich and I hope Rodgers will go for some "deathbyfootball"-500+passes-in-game set up to make Norwich run more than we woud have to in order to secure an easy win for saving energy for the Chelsea game. Chelsea and Palace away will decide the league then and I hope our key players, Gerrard and Suarez will keep their cool in those games as I thought they were on the boarder of overdoing the thunder with negative consequences. Another test for the leadership of Rodgers, as always, I am pretty sure he will turn this into a positive.. ;)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:55:05 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 01:30:59 pm »
I think it's disingenuous to think that the player has 'just got it', when what has really changed is (some) fans' perception of him as captain. Other players, whether stars brought in or youngsters brought through, have always spoken of his leadership qualities, not just 'leading by example', for years. Houllier recognised his leadership qualities at a young age but made him 'wait and mature' until getting the captaincy at 23. Rafa kept him as captain throughout.

I think it's (some) fans who have 'only really grasped it' recently.

I can understand what the original poster was saying. In some ways, Gerrard's inherent leadership qualities are, and have always been, a constant. But his leadership style does seem to have changed and we can only speculate the reasons behind this. I like to think it has evolved as he has become a less frenetic player (although by no means laconic, just look at the way he charged back in an attempt to block Navas's cross in the first half).

By the way, suggesting his style has developed is not necessarily a criticism of the way it was. After everything he has achieved, worked for and his commitment over the years, it would be impossible.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
By the way, suggesting his style has developed is not necessarily a criticism of the way it was. After everything he has achieved, worked for and his commitment over the years, it would be impossible.

Oh I'm not arguing with the idea of Gerrard, or any other player, developing either in the way he plays, or the way he leads. But the critical narrative over the years about his leadership has always seemed somewhat odd to me, given that it's come exclusively from fans and is not backed up by fellow players or his managers; quite the reverse. Thus the idea that there is some sudden change which leads to those fans recognising his leadership qualities seems to me a reflection of a change in those fans' perception, rather than the player; his leadership has become more 'visible' in our title challenge, perhaps. But the evidence of fellow players and managers is that it was always there.

Anyway, that's probably been discussed enough over the years in multiple Gerrard threads :).

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »

Anyway, that's probably been discussed enough over the years in multiple Gerrard threads :).

And we could go on for a long time yet (hopefully)! :)
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline Jaron

• RAWK's Poet Laureate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Ready in 6 minutes
    • http://twitter.com/jaroncollis
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2014, 05:05:40 pm »
Sport is fear and sport is joy.

The joy of victory, of vanquishing opponents not by shutting them out, but overwhelming them with thrilling improvisation.
The joy of belief, like a sudden shaft of spring sunlight, instantly warming the heart, pushing aside the memories of countless dismal winters, decades of grumbling hopelessness and wishful thinking.
The joy of belonging, the simple pleasure of sharing a glance with fellow fans, like we’re all in on some gigantic exciting secret.

But it’s a joy haunted by fear.

A fear that at any moment, we might wake up.
A fear that we might find the dream that had brought us such joy, such hope, dissipating from our minds like a morning mist.
A fear that months later, years later, we'll cast our minds back, and struggle to remember that glorious sensation, that golden age when we believed anything was possible.

Liverpool versus Manchester City was a tale of fear and joy.

For the first half hour, joy prevailed.
We were fearless. Flowing.
Playing like carefree kids in the park.
A teenager has the coolest head of all, slotting home, in front of the Kop.
More pressure, roars and gasps, until a bullet header prompts delirium.
How we jumped and bounced and yelled with joy.

Buzzing, we look down from our heady clouds.
And wonder at how high we really are.
And realise what a long way that would be to fall. 

Blue waves begin to threaten, we sense the gusts of a gathering storm.
The buzz of joy becomes a tingle of fear.
How similar they feel, a pulsating throb in our throats.
Close shaves endured, but we stand firm. Just about.

At last, half time.
We blow out our cheeks, and wipe our palms dry.
We nudge those beside us, smile and dare to dream.

When we return to the field, we know it’s out there.
Somewhere. Waiting, lurking.
We hoped our joy would protect us, insulate us.
But fear was stalking us, ready to shock us with its sudden pounce.

Their first goal triggered a cascade of uncertainty and doubt.
Fear does funny things to the limbs, it dizzies the mind.
Once we played like warriors, now we flounder like drunken clowns.
Five minutes of increasing anxiety culminates aptly.
We contrive to scramble the ball into our own net.

Now we look down, and realise what a long, long way it is to fall.
How painful it will be to hit the ground.
When there’s no margin for error, it’s never just a football match.
It becomes a trial of character.
Every mistake could be the one that brings everyone crashing down.
The moment that destroys the dream.

Now it’s not about pressing and diamonds, or holding midfielders.
Or tactical reshuffles and runs between the lines.
It’s about overcoming the fear, the instinct to run and hide.
The basic primal instinct to stay safe.

How do you fight the desire to flee?
Does a dressing room mantra spring to mind?
Or a psychiatrist’s counsel in a Teesside lilt.
That fear can never be dismissed, only mastered.

What if you discovered a magic ring?
What if when you slipped it on your finger, your every fear vanished.
Suddenly, where once were problems, now there are only possibilities.
You stop hesitating, and start being who you want to be.
Wouldn’t that be the most powerful artefact in the world?
Just imagine what you could achieve.
You could do anything.

A moment of bravery. Then everything changed.
A young full-back leaping in to win a header, when he could have stood off.
A Brazilian fighting for the loose ball, earning it with his determination.
A kid from Wembley driving forward, spreading jitters among the men in blue.

Because the funny thing is, fear doesn’t take sides.
Fear stalks all equally.
Perhaps its insidious influence scuffed the ball to the edge of the box.
The Brazilian wasn’t afraid that he’d miss.
Courage enough not to demand another touch.
He trusted himself, and hit it instinctively.
And we lost ourselves in a glorious moment of redemptive bliss.

The game resumes, the ground in ferment.
Our collective rush of joy corroded again by our nagging fear.
This is the time for brave hearts and resolute minds.
Headers are won, desperate blocks are made.
One too recklessly, and we’re a man down.
Fear will do that.

At last, the whistle triggers an explosion of repressed emotion.

This does not fucking slip now!
This does NOT fucking slip.
Listen, listen!
This is gone.
We go to Norwich.
Exactly the same.
We go again.
Come on!

The leader exhorts: be brave once more lads.
Because the next game isn’t really against the men of Norwich City.
It’s against the doubts and anxieties in their own hearts.
Fear will be lurking at Carrow Road, waiting.
Each must face the anxiety of wanting it too much.
And the perilous complacency of not wanting it enough.
Disquiet mounting with every misplaced pass and wayward shot.
And suddenly we’re chasing a game we absolutely need to win.

We’re so high up now.
So close.
Such a way to fall.
How would we ever recover.

Were you ever this anxious playing footy in the park?
Can you remember those gloriously long summer days?
When we just ran, and laughed and played.
Just for the joy of it.
There might be a lesson there somewhere.
I do hope in growing up, I haven’t forgotten it.
Because just imagine the awesome possibilities
Of a life without fear.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:56:26 am by Jaron »
"We go again."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »
^

That's extremely good mate.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:54 pm »
Sport is fear and sport is joy.

The joy of victory, of vanquishing opponents not by shutting them out, but overwhelming them with thrilling improvisation.
The joy of belief, like a sudden shaft of spring sunlight, instantly warming the heart, pushing aside the memories of countless dismal winters, decades of grumbling hopelessness and wishful thinking.
The joy of belonging, the simple pleasure of sharing a glance with fellow fans, like we’re all in on some gigantic exciting secret.

But it’s a joy haunted by fear.

A fear that at any moment, we might wake up.
A fear that we might find the dream that had brought us such joy, such hope, dissipating from our minds like a morning mist.
A fear that months later, years later, we'll cast our minds back, and struggle to remember that glorious sensation, that golden age when we believed anything was possible.

Liverpool versus Manchester City was a tale of fear and joy.

For the first half hour, joy prevailed.
We were fearless. Flowing.
Playing like carefree kids in the park.
A teenager has the coolest head of all, slotting home, in front of the Kop.
More pressure, roars and gasps, until a bullet header prompts delirium.
How we jumped and bounced and yelled with joy.

Buzzing, we look down from our heady clouds.
And wonder at how high we really are.
And realise what a long way that would be to fall. 

Blue waves begin to threaten, we sense the gusts of a gathering storm.
The buzz of joy becomes a tingle of fear.
How similar they feel, a pulsating throb in our throats.
Close shaves endured, but we stand firm. Just about.

At last, half time.
We blow out our cheeks, and wipe our palms dry.
We nudge those beside us, smile and dare to dream.

When we return to the field, we know it’s out there.
Somewhere. Waiting, lurking.
We hoped our joy would protect us, insulate us.
But fear was stalking us, ready to shock us with its sudden pounce.

Their first goal triggered a cascade of uncertainty and doubt.
Fear does funny things to the limbs, it dizzies the mind.
Once we played like warriors, now we flounder like drunken clowns.
Five minutes of increasing anxiety culminates aptly.
We contrive to scramble the ball into our own net.

Now we look down, and realise what a long, long way it is to fall.
How painful it will be to hit the ground.
When there’s no margin for error, it’s never just a football match.
It becomes a trial of character.
Every mistake could be the one that brings everyone crashing down.
The moment that destroys the dream.

Now it’s not about pressing and diamonds, or holding midfielders.
Or tactical reshuffles and runs between the lines.
It’s about overcoming the fear, the instinct to run and hide.
The basic primal instinct to stay safe.

How do you fight the desire to flee?
Does a dressing room mantra spring to mind?
Or a psychiatrist’s counsel in a Teesside lilt.
That fear can never be dismissed, only mastered.

What if you discovered a magic ring?
What if when you slipped it on your finger, your every fear vanished.
Suddenly, where once were problems, now there are only possibilities.
You stop hesitating, and start being who you want to be.
Wouldn’t that be the most powerful artefact in world?
Just imagine what you could achieve.
Anything.

A moment of bravery. Then everything changed.
A young full-back leaping in to win a header, when he could have stood off.
A Brazilian fighting for the loose ball, earning it with his determination.
A kid from Wembley driving forward, spreading jitters among the men in blue.

Because the funny thing is, fear doesn’t take sides.
Fear stalks all equally.
Perhaps its insidious influence scuffed the ball to the edge of the box.
The Brazilian wasn’t afraid that he’d miss.
Courage enough not to demand another touch.
He trusted himself, and hit it instinctively.
And we lost ourselves in a glorious moment of redemptive bliss.

The game resumes, the ground in ferment.
Our collective rush of joy corroded again by our nagging fear.
This is the time for brave hearts and resolute minds.
Headers are won, desperate blocks are made.
One too recklessly, and we’re a man down.
Fear will do that.

At last, the whistle triggers an explosion of repressed emotion.

This does not fucking slip now!
This does NOT fucking slip.
Listen, listen!
This is gone.
We go to Norwich.
Exactly the same.
We go again.
Come on!

The leader exhorts: be brave once more lads.
Because the next game isn’t really against the men of Norwich City.
It’s against the doubts and anxieties in their own hearts.
Fear will be lurking at Carrow Road, waiting.
Each must face the anxiety of wanting it too much.
And the perilous complacency of not wanting it enough.
Disquiet mounting with every misplaced pass and wayward shot.
And suddenly we’re chasing a game we absolutely need to win.

We’re so high up now.
So close.
Such a way to fall.
How would we ever recover.

Were you ever this anxious playing footy in the park?
Can you remember those gloriously long summer days?
When we just ran, and laughed and played.
Just for the joy of it.
There might be a lesson there somewhere.
I do hope in growing up, I haven’t forgotten it.
Because just imagine the awesome possibilities
Of a life without fear.

Good god that's beautiful. Thank you  :wave