Author Topic: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC  (Read 31872 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Round Table LFC 3-2 MCFC
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2014, 09:22:04 am »
I suspect Gerrard now spends more time on set pieces then he did in his prime. It'd mean a less taxing work load overall but improved delivery which is good for someone his age.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
One of the best things ever written here. Absolutely superb.

Isn't it Al.

Pretty damn special. Like Cowtownred I've kept returning to it. Can't think of any finer footy writing I've read anywhere let alone here.

:)

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2014, 09:32:47 am »
But the critical narrative over the years about his leadership has always seemed somewhat odd to me

But its been there for yrs and as i am not party to what goes on off the pitch, i can only make our assertions by what happens on it, and for a number of yrs people argued that Gerrard was not really a captain on the pitch and that Carragher was more suited....

Gerrard is huge at the club, any manager even attempting to have changed captain would have been sealing their own fate at the club as a very short one....this is not to say Gerrard hasnt always been a top captain behind the scenes...he probably has

So from a on the pitch perspective (which is what i was trying to discuss), his leadership has evidently evolved but only fairly recently, not just sunday but his overall leadership of others on the pitch is now more evident than before and has been for a while.....it may be linked to circumstances and the fact that we could win the league or as another has said because we have a decent side now, but we have had decent sides before but even then he was a captain who led by his efforts as a footballer rather than as a apparent leader / motivator of players.

Anyway more for a Gerrard thread than this one...

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:15 am »
What a superb thread, so many wonderful writers on here. A special mention to Jaron, who I don't think I've noticed before. Beautiful post, loved the way you fitted Gerrard's speech in there, brilliant.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
Just wanted to say superb posts from several posters in this thread. Jaron, PoP, ElstoGunn and others I may have missed.

Wish all threads were as good.
Phuk yoo

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:58 am »
There are moments when life outshines itself. When the moments you endure are beyond justifiable. I remember having a conversation with my better half in October last year then in December after the Hull defeat. Shaking my head thinking we'd never lift number 19 in the ruthless climate of deep pockets and loyalty affiliated to a flea.

Indeed, we still may not lift the Holy Grail. But it’s in our hands and even most of us back at the beginning of December would have found the current events to be deeply ensconced in the back of our minds only to enter the forefront of our respective imaginations as a pipeline dream. The reality of the situation we find ourselves in is something like Alice dancing around in Wonderland. It really bloody is!

The lead up to Sunday had been well documented and will be for the rest of our lives. The 96 Angels; overlooking Anfield and no doubt as nervous as those inside the ground and the rest of us around the globe whom watched with collective anxiety.

From the kick off we absolutely battered them. Jordon Henderson’s newly crowned penchant to thrust forward and spray diagonal passes like a young Steven Gerrard. Steven Gerrard himself tracking back sweeping up the crumbs and playing like a third centre half in what is clearly his best season in a Liverpool shirt as our captain. A proper captain, who has finally illustrated his extroverted emotion. The tears of joy so many of us felt vicariously. The tireless efforts of Philippe Coutinho and Raheem Sterling, harrying the opposition in order to win the ball back for their brothers in red. Luis Suarez and his will to win at all costs, still failing to hold no bounds. Daniel Sturridge, his presence merely causing concern for the Manchester City defence dragging opponents to the full width of the pitch. Collectively, this is what led to the first goal.

Our ability to press and win back possession for Luis Suarez to provide in the only way he knows how for the ever evolving Raheem Sterling to finish with precocious aplomb. We ripped them to pieces. And it continued where a second wasn’t a case of 'if' but 'when'. Then there was the fact that City's talisman, Yaya Toure, limped off with a groin injury. Things like this have been going our way all season and seemingly continue in the same fashion.

That ‘when’ came in the ferocious beast that is Martin Skrtel. The ferocious beast who peeled off three City defenders (yes, three) and glanced his bullet like header past the stunned Joe Hart. Seven goals this season. Yes, seven fucking goals! Anyone who continues to harbour notions that marginalise the man’s footballing abilities surely have no grounds to continue such propaganda? His performances have been priceless this season so much so that he is the best centre half in the league. And to think had he not played against Manchester United the day before the transfer deadline. I personally shudder at such thoughts.

From then, Manchester City grew, as only a good team does. Johnson and Sterling’s one-two clearance off the line, followed by a save from Simon Mignolet, which can be defined as his best thus far in Liverpool shirt. I’m not sure all and sundry just know how great the save was from Fernadinho’s snap shot from eight yards out. Yes, eight yards. He hammered it into the turf and, at the time, for me there was one destination for the ball to end up and it wasn’t against the cement like hands of our fine young goalkeeper. It was a warning shot in a period of the game in which I think is the most important of any football match; that five minute period before half time.

From then on it was one way traffic. Manuel Pellegrini hooked the third wheel that is Jesus Navas for the more industrious and tactically minded James Milner; a player I’ve always admired and certainly a player every squad needs, regardless of how deep their pockets are. His ability to keep the ball and get at our very own working class hero, Jon Flanagan, was evident from the outset. It dragged Henderson and Gerrard slightly out of position, which meant the mercurial wizard that is David Silva single handedly picked his team up and drove them on, just like all world class players do. That is essentially what makes them world class and make no mistake about it, David Silva is just that. It was ironic that his miss after Sergio Aguero got the better of our big Mart was the moment in which the beast awoke from its slumber.

There were sporadic moments for us beforehand, though. Raheem Sterling dazzling his way past four Manchester City opponents in middle of the pitch to take a shot from twenty five yards only to flick the corner post. Then there was the twisting run from Daniel Sturridge which ended his afternoon with a tight hamstring. Then there was the ‘dive’ in which our Luisito was accused of performing, despite the fact that Vincent Kompany had hands all over him. Still, City were dominating their opponent and in a fashion that any other team in the premier league would've folded like the proverbial deck chair.

Not us, though. We're a team.  A proper team in every sense of the word. Together, our team walked through a storm and Sunday it was biggest one they've envisaged, thus far, this season. The Silva miss was our 'Eidur Gudjohnsen' moment. We still might a endure a few before the season's out. Glen Johnson took the throw in, which met the outside of Vincent Kompany's boot. As E2K says in his above post; cometh the hour, cometh the man. Philippe Coutinho. Only someone possessing world class traits takes a ball as Philippe Countinho took the one which lead to our third - and winning - goal. His body positioning had to be inch perfect, along with his connection; both were and as they say, the rest is history. What a player. Our player.

Fifteen minutes of torture. We'd made our adjustments, though. Joe Allen tightened things up and although we still struggled to keep the ball, City could only resort to the book of Samuel Allardyce, which is kind of pointless when you have someone as talented Sergio Aguero on the pitch, fully fit or not. And that's no disrespect to Manuel Pelligrini, whom I rate very highly as a manager. If anything, it's a resounding hats off to our very own Brendan Rodgers. How lucky we are to have a man who has come in adopting the club's principles whilst also pumping his own blood into the organs of this beautiful football club. It's a machine of elegance, steel and at times, sheer ruthlessness. The winning goal had the latter about it in some respects. We showed that we won't be rag dolled and should an opportunity arise, we shall seize upon it accordingly. Absorb the pressure then take them on. That's the sign of a good team. The scary thing about good teams is that their average age is vastly higher than the one we currently inhabit. That's what makes this team frightening as much as anything else. So frightening that it's almost incomprehensible, which all leads back to our fantastic manager and the work he's done since he walked through our doors in the summer of 2012.

The five minutes of injury time subsided and with it the release of emotion. Steven Gerrard breaking down in the middle of Anfield where our 96 Angels looked down in unison upon the empathic victory. Whether Suarez should've seen a second yellow (he actually got clipped by Demichelis), or whether our big Mart's handball deserved a penalty (little doubt it did), it's now all merely academic. It was meant to be. This was for the 96. Pure and simple. The significance of this victory will be etched into our history, whether we win the league or not. It was the moment, the first in many years, where we seized controlled of our own fate. It's in our hands. By Christ, it's in our hands.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:15:44 am by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Another belter of a post.

Havent done any work today, been on RAWK all day, reading this stuff.

Keep it coming people.
Phuk yoo

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:56 am »
Isn't it Al.

Pretty damn special. Like Cowtownred I've kept returning to it. Can't think of any finer footy writing I've read anywhere let alone here.

:)

I keep rereading it and it keep giving me more, it's so simple fear and joy.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
Snip

One of the best pieces I've read here in a long while!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »
For all their money spent and spent well in most cases it was Milner that changed the game in their favour and saw us stretched. Very underrated, maybe he needs to stick an 'o' at the end of his last name. Either side could have won but the one with the most desire did.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »

What if you discovered a magic ring?
What if when you slipped it on your finger, your every fear vanished.
Suddenly, where once were problems, now there are only possibilities.
You stop hesitating, and start being who you want to be.
Wouldn’t that be the most powerful artefact in the world?
Just imagine what you could achieve.
You could do anything.

This verse in particular I found very moving and inspiring not only in the context of the football match but also for myself as well. 

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2014, 01:07:07 pm »
This verse in particular I found very moving and inspiring not only in the context of the football match but also for myself as well.

Same, mate.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:49 pm »
Some fantastic post, fellas! Nicely done :wave

Since others have already discussed the tactics and players, far more eloquently than I ever could, I thought I'd just focus on the incredible atmosphere at Anfield and the topsy-turvy format of the game. An atmosphere that was so amazing I even managed to get my wife to watch for the first 14 mins. Some context- my wife never, ever, watches football matches.  She hates watching football. I've tried to rationalise it as a unique form of jealousy/worry, brought about by my weekly two hour long transformations from mild-mannered married man into liverpool fanatic (I'll admit, it may look strange for non footballing fans to see my friends and I standing up at the beginning of every liverpool game, scarfs held high, belting YNWA, out of key). Whatever it is, she doesn't watch football, any football. Never.Ever. EVER.

Considering the anniversary, the emotional aspect of this weekend, and a home match at Anfield, I thought it would be a great opportunity to show her how the 96 were still remember (she already knows about Hillsborough) in Liverpool. And so, I managed to persuade/coax/use my charms on, her to stay for the first few minutes, at the very least (sometimes as a married man, you need to hustle your game 8), usually I fail anyway, but this time, somehow, it worked ;D). As soon as the game intros were starting, I reminded her of the Hillsborough anniversary and the fight for justice, and just on cue-the minute silence started. I know it's a silence, but it just felt deafening. There's something about 45,000 people going quiet that is just powerful, especially taking into account the symbolism. The reason why it was happening. And there, sitting beside me, was my wife, absolutely transfixed staring at the screen.

And then that ROAR followed. If you weren't already moved by that silence, then that Roar must have been the trigger. Especially as it came after a moment of silence, it seemed even louder. Powerful, even. I was already moved, now I was in absolute awe. I have never heard Anfield that loud before, blaring from the TV. The flags were wonderful, the noise was loud and incessant, and you could clearly see the City players were a bit taken aback by the sheer force of the noise. And the way we were playing, you could feel our players feeding on the energy, anything was possible. It was like watching a game of Fifa between a gamer and a first time player-so one-sided you almost stopped it out of pity. And we were doing this against the favourites, the so called "most talented team in the league", except, they weren't the favourites any more, we were. And we played like it. And then we scored.--1-0.. From a goal that seemed so simple on the replays, but required balls of steel to turn--wait---wait---wait---wait--turn--BANG, and an intelligence to think of it in the first place. I was so pumped, so emotional, so proud of the players and especially the fans, I hardly realised my wife was still sitting, by my side.

My wife left, just before the 2nd goal. The atmosphere was so electrifying and powerful, it managed to keep my wife watching the game for 15 mins. Now that deserves respect for the fans ;D

But back to the game...Corner..I noticed Gerrard free even before the kick...Gerraaaaaaaar..oooooooooooooh...fantastic save. Can we keep missing those types of chances.....Another corner...Skrtllll BANG!...2-0.....It was like watching two heavyweight fighters, both with knockout power, throwing haymakers for 3 rounds. We were the favourites, we were absolutely destroying them......1-0......2-0.....the only question was "how many?". The title was ours, it was only a matter of time. Only a matter of time before the knockout blow.....And then, they came back. Like the reigning champs they were (with United out of the race so early, I've since thought of City as the reigning champs) they caught us with an uppercut BANG 2-1. They somehow staggered to their feet, and started dropping bombs. And we were faltering, the avalanche of punches was slowing us down. We were no longer the favourites...BANG 2-2..now they were the favourites. That powerful atmosphere was gone, replaced by surprise, disbelief, and worry. We were against the ropes, surely we couldn't withstand any more, the question became "when, not if, the knockout blow was going to come........And there it was, a powerful right hook that would bring us to our knees if it connects.....and it juuuuuust whistles past our right ear......we were lucky to have dodged that, but wouldn't be so lucky the next time. We're looking at the clock now, just hold out for the draw and live to fight another day.....no harm in protecting a draw...just as lo......BANG 3-2...COUTINHOOOOOOOOO......out of nowhere we've thrown an uppercut and City are staggering back...and fallen...they're on the ground...can they get back up in time...1-2-3-4..surely they're out?... 5-6-7-8....they're running out of TIME!....9-10 IT IS ALL OVER!

What a game. An argument could be made that both sides deserved to win, both sides deserved to lose, and both sides deserved a draw. What a masterclass!
The game, the players, the fans, everyone involved deserves respect for the role they played. And the fact we managed that on such an emotional weekend, such an important anniversary, just made it all the sweeter.

I was absolutely devasted by the end of the game, and I barely moved from my sofa! ;D

Bring on Norwich, I just.can't.wait.!

*Edit: My celebration after the 3rd goal was akin to that when Alonso scored the rebound off the penalty in Istanbul. I know the gravity of the moment wasn't the same, but it was more the surprise and delight that we had brought the game back even after what seemed like a knockout blow from the first half. In this case, we came back, almost from the dead. Epic game!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:23:29 pm by Doc Red »
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2014, 05:20:47 am »
They put Milner on, who tucked inside, making the central midfield area more man-to-man in terms of coverage. This left Flanagan with Zabaleta to look for, but if he didn't move forward, he had no job to do other than coverage, which requires him to tuck in. This in turn created space outside for Milner to move into, creating a dilemma for Flanagan which eventually led to the pocket of space between Sakho and Flanagan that Milner sprinted into for their first goal (if you watch it again, Gerrard moves over to cover Flanagan's zone, meaning there was no holding mid covering Silva when he made contact with the ball). The mobility of Nasri/Silva also meant that they could overload Johnson, which is how the second goal happened:

When we moved to 4-3-3, we removed that problem for a large part, as we could account for the Nasri/Silva position switch, zonally, while going man-for-man against Fernandinho and Garcia. Coutinho on the left wing also meant Zabaleta was covered, meaning Flanagan could focus on Milner more, meaning we could regain some more control of the game:

So the loss of control was more to do with Milner, on the pure tactical level, nullifying the diamond by moving inside - although there was probably a psychological reason for the loss of control in the end of the first half, together with City's undoubted quality.

Excellent all-around explainer, PoP. Thanks!
Ludi Circenses!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2014, 06:05:19 am »
Some excellent posts in here. Just on Coutinho... Why do people keep acting surprised he's getting started at CM for big games at Anfield? Am I wrong in thinking that he's started there in our big wins against Everton, Arsenal and Spurs? On a more prolific day we go into half-time with a bigger lead. Coutinho, in his deeper role, has definitely been vital for our fast starts in those games. Fast and direct passing, with the footwork to glide past players and further create space is what he offers and teams simply cannot cope with it in the opening stages.

Having said that, Mourinho and Chelsea are a different brand of cookie to all those teams. Be interesting to see what role he plays in that game. Will we try to kill Chelsea from the off? Thinking about it... I don't see why not.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
Sometimes you give up the flanks for what you can gain in the middle.
Sometimes you give up the flanks for what you can gain in the middle.
Which was an option that I think you proposed in the pre-match thread :)
The idea being let them attack down the flanks and leave Suarez and Sturridge agains their CBs.  Obviously the risk is how much damage they could inflict on the flanks. As it turns out. Not nearly enough.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
You'd get some funny looks now if you launched a fanzine named 'Another Wasted Corner'  :D

lol ;D