Author Topic: Rawk round table LFC 4-0 v FFC  (Read 31596 times)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rawk round table LFC 4-0 v FFC
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »
I put the heat maps up somewhere. Henderson stayed wide right, so it would be a very unbalanced 4-2-2-2. Gerrard pushed up and Coutinho cut in. It would almost be a 4-1-1-2-2 in that sense, but that gets too granular. Coutinho's tackles, though, were in the wide left position. So 4-4-2 makes more sense.
Yeah I was also making the point to him about Henderson being fairly wide and Coutinho as a third midfielder to disprove the 4-2-2-2. It's such an interesting area about how you decide what formation a team plays and whether you base it on the defensive phase or whether you take it from average positions or whatever. Also shows how little a formation necessarily has an impact on a match.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »
Yeah I was also making the point to him about Henderson being fairly wide and Coutinho as a third midfielder to disprove the 4-2-2-2. It's such an interesting area about how you decide what formation a team plays and whether you base it on the defensive phase or whether you take it from average positions or whatever. Also shows how little a formation necessarily has an impact on a match.

Historically, it was easier to talk about formations because players stayed in fairly rigid zones (which is why man-to-man marking was so much easier to operate), if a team lined up in a W-M (3-2-2-3), they would maintain that shape in both attack and defence, and the game became more about 1v1 battles. Then teams started to change it, like the Hungarians, the Spurs Push and Run sides, then the Dutch and the Brazilians, etc. So the attacking phase became more about mobility and breaking the lines. At that point, it was easier to look at the formation in terms of the defensive positions, because attack-wise any of the attacking 5 or 6 players could move anywhere within a 40-50 yard radius, in any direction. So when we talk about formations, it's best to note the defensive shape more than the attacking one. You can also deduce the three lines in a three-line formation watching the game by seeing how many centre-forwards are left up front when the ball is in the defensive third, and how many defenders are kept back when the ball is in the attacking third. Then you just deduce the middle. That will give you at least a simple short-hand for what the formation was. The details after that can get a bit muddy though :D
Better looking than Samie.

royhendo

« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2013, 03:55:58 pm »
I got sent home from work ill today. This has been a treat to read through. :)

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »
I got sent home from work ill today. This has been a treat to read through. :)
Skiver

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
I agree Roy. I think this has been my favourite Round Table.

Usually better when we win as there seems to be a lot less finger pointing and bickering :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »
I'd say 4-4-2 but it was a very interesting shape.

I wrote in the last round table about the Man Utd team with Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Keane and how we could get a similar balance.  Henderson offering deep width and covering the centre to allow Gerrard more licence to attack.

We didn't replicate the template I suggested, mainly because Coutinho was much more central.  We overloaded the right and had a lot of mobility in between the lines.  I really like our attacking patterns and the variations we have.  Setting up to defend against us is very difficult now.

royhendo

« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:46 pm »
Skiver

My formation was profiligate out the front and loose at the back, sadly.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:48 pm »
:D

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
This thread had been missing Roy's visceral assessment of the formation. 
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2013, 11:25:56 pm »
This thread had been missing Roy's visceral assessment of the formation.

Load of crap

:D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2013, 11:46:09 pm »

I thought we sold Charlie Adam.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:50 am »
I thought we sold Charlie Adam.
Yes he was sold to Stoke City.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #172 on: December 9, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »
I wonder if they are more than a flash in the pan. Firstly, your point about Spain. There is not big wages there outside the top two or three teams, compared to the prem. 2. He has a very useful core of British players who look less likely to run off to Europe in a hurry. 3. the main point really. Every so often there is a changing of the guard at the top of the league, a team or two every few years drift in and out of the top six. Where are Leeds and Bolton, even say, Newcastle?. Not so long ago they were forces to be reckoned with. There is much about Southampton to suggest they plan to stay around. With any luck the new mid table team making room at the top will be man utd. For all the money that they have spent, Man city look a mare away from home. Spurs quite literally have struggled to buy goals.
At least one of those three will not fully recover from their mixed starts.
Just over a quarter of a season does not tell the whole story, but nothing stays the same forever.
Flattered to be quoted by Barry Glendenning in the Guardian Football weekly show this week. Used some of the above or is it as they say great minds think alike, idiots thinks the same?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"