Author Topic: The Fossa Dei Leoni sing You'll Never Walk Alone ... a special moment  (Read 34427 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Many of you will have heard the fans of AC Milan on the Curva Sud sing You'll Never Walk Alone. It's a more original take on the song than that of other fans who have faithfully echoed our rendition (e.g. at German, Dutch and Scottish grounds). The Milan fans have adapted the song and arranged their own version, turning it into a drum-fuelled, staccato chant. It's uniquely Italian. Uniquely Milanese.

Around the start of the 2000s the now dissolved ultras group Fossa Dei Leoni even produced a CD called ‘Da Liverpool a San Siro la leggenda continua’ (From Liverpool to San Siro the legend lives on) which included live chants recorded at Anfield and at the San Siro. You could buy this from the Red All Over The Land fanzine, who had established good links with the Milanese supporter groups.

But it's another version of YNWA sang by the Fossa Dei Leoni that I want to talk about. It remains one of my most enduring (and emotional) memories in football. I was watching BBC's Sportsnight four days after Hillsborough. Numb to the bone as everyone was, I think it was my desperate attempt to find some football and to find some meaning to it all.

The programme was to throw up something so special it counteracted the absolute vile published by The Sun that very morning, a bile-inducing tissue of lies that saw us rushing to burn copies in the street or throw up in the nearest gutter.

Milan were playing Real Madrid in the second leg of the European Cup that night, having drawn 1-1 away. This was the great Milan, Sacchi's masterpiece (and as he later admitted, modelled on Paisley's European Cup winning team) with the beautiful Dutch trio of Rijkaard, Van Basten and Gullit spearheading Baresi and Maldini's magnificent defence.

The mood on the TV show was perfunctory - football hardly seemed to matter, the presenter and commentators were on autopilot. I sat there, desperately clinging onto my latest crutch measuring 40% by volume, staring blankly at my black and white portable screen.

The game kicked off and not long in the referee blew his whistle and picked up the ball. It was a signal for a minute's silence. I, like many others I'm sure, was confused. I watched on as the the San Siro fell silent. A respectful applause rippled across the stadium. Then slowly, but surely, a very moving and note perfect rendition of YNWA started to rise from the Curva Sud gaining in intensity as the minute went on.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5ZrVfMRyoE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5ZrVfMRyoE0</a>

I burst into tears. Tears which have been repeated when I've thought of that moment since. It remains to this day the quintessential act of solidarity by one group of fans to another. The game continued and Milan ran Madrid ragged, winning 5-0 in one of the greatest performances in the history of the competition and football itself. Their players and fans ascended to legendary status that night.

Because of that perfect act of kindness by the Milan fans in 1989 they have always had the utmost repsect by Liverpool fans (especially of my age). Of all the many things said and done by football fans all over the world after Hillsborough it remains for me the most moving, and unexpected moment.

This is how the Milan fans remember the day:

There is an English song we sing which is the anthem of Liverpool, a song from the 60s with a chorus that goes:

Walk on walk on
with hope in your heart
and you'll never walk alone
you'll never walk alone

One of us had the record with these words, but for them (Liverpool) there is nobody who leads with the microphone, the words seem to come like a shout from afar. So we have tried to learn the words using a printed sheet because many said 'welcome' instead of 'walk on' and also what the words actually meant. We succeeded in learning the song and it made us famous in all Europe because we sang it when the Liverpool fans died at Sheffield and we played Real Madrid in the Semi final of the Champions cup won 5-0.

We had prepared a banner with Sheffield You'll Never Walk Alone. There was the minute's silence and we were ready to unfurl the banner and sing the song but instead the Swedish referee started the game immediately. We unfurl the banner but the moment seemed lost, but then the referee stopped play and began the messed up silence. At that moment I didn't even have a microphone, we started as they (Liverpool) do with the song. I have the video at home and every so often I look at it again, my hair stands up, all the players and crowd applaud and the referee looks towards me because it is so well known, this song, and the chorus rises 'you'll never walk alone' and it was shown so many times on the English TV networks, and I received many letters from English fans. You are true friends and we are always your friends.

Armed Lions!
We are marching
We are the Lion's cave
the lions, lions, lions, lions
We are the lion's cave
Blood! Violence!
The Lion's cave!
Milan! Milan! Milan!

(translated by matty of the ynwa.tv website from the original article by Giovanni on the Milan Mania forum)

The 25th May 2005 saw the meeting in Istanbul of two great clubs and two great sets of fans for the first time in a competitive match. It smelt, felt and tasted like THE classic fixture, THE gran clasico of European football in the run up to the final. The rest is history. The greatest final of all time. Two years later on the 23rd May 2007 Milan would gain revenge in Athens. What was striking about both games though was the respect between the two sets of fans, a respect enshrined in our history since 1989 and that simple, perfect gesture by the fans on the Curva Sud.

Fossa Dei Leona we salute you.

Rushian

i) article updated in 2010
ii) broken links updated 12th April 2014
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:34:01 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
Lovely piece.

Remember watching it too Rushian.

Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
Listening to the fans of the Curva Sud...they sound so good. :wellin
Top post Rushian :)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Lovely piece.

Remember watching it too Rushian.

cheers Mooro - I don't think I've seen it since but it remains so vivid to me.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
Great piece - makes me look forward to the final even more.

I have heard about this so many times, but never saw it at the time - would love to see it though if anyone has it?

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"The quintessential act of solidarity from one set of fans to another" sounds exactly right. Learning the song, practicing it, even making a special banner just to express solidarity. As someone whose memories of Hillsborough are at best hazy (early teens at the time), it's very impressive to read about this.

Offline ThingOnASpring

• Legacy Fan
  • Young man! There's no need to feel down.
Just listened to it now. The second time through, with the clapping and drums, sounds excellent. Brilliant of them to do that for us, worthy of the greatest respect. Can think of no better team to meet in the final, especially after having met Juventus for the first time since Heysel. Bridges rebuilt, and old friendships strengthened. This years legacy is about so much more than just a cup final.
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
Wow.. just listened to it... The way they sing it is so different, I actually felt goosebumps rising out of my skin when they sang it, especially with the drums and the clapping. Still like our version more :P, but nevertheless, their version was unique and superb. Although I still think we're the best fans in the world, this year's competition has made me realise that there are also other clubs which have superb fans, like Olympiacos, Leverkusen, and now, Milan. It is during times like these when I sometimes wish results don't matter, so we'll fully enjoy the beautiful game played out on the pitch, and the special atmosphere created by the fans.
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Kop Kiwi

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
That's awesome. 

Never knew that (must be my age and where I live).

Cheers.

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
Thanks for that Russian,beutiful!

Y.N.W.A.......................J.F.T.96.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here's hoping that May 25th brings on an almighty carnival.

Two sets of fans enjoying themselves mightily without any agro, intimidation, bad behaviour.  Watching a great game in the best of spirits and then continuing the party afterwards.

Lets show the world how football can and should be enjoyed.
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
Truly a special moment. I was living in Italy at the time and watching on TV, just as I had watched Hillsborough unfold on  TV a few days earlier. Made me feel  a lot less .....alone.

I guess at the time I underestimated the moment though, assuming naively that many, many stadiums around the world would be seeing similar gestures at that time...

Great supporters, truly worthy of the great team they had then.

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
I remember watching it too - in fact I think I was watching the game live on Eurosport (?) couldn't believe it when they started to sing. I too had tears in my eyes that night. Hillsborough was a raw wound and probably like many others I felt we were actually walking alone and then to see and hear that was fantastic. I will never forget it.

Let's hope Istanbul goes well - no problems. As much as I respect the AC fans I still want that 5th Cup.  ;D
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline wet echo

• trapped paper puncher in need of a work out
  • Kopite
wonderful,its strange reading that post dragged me back to pitch at Hillsbough and the pain,fear and total disbelief of what was unfolding. I had forgotten about the beautful tribute by Milan i hope on the 25th wether we win or lose we can show our thanks by the most heart felt YNWA ever heard

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
wonderful,its strange reading that post dragged me back to pitch at Hillsbough and the pain,fear and total disbelief of what was unfolding. I had forgotten about the beautful tribute by Milan i hope on the 25th wether we win or lose we can show our thanks by the most heart felt YNWA ever heard

Amen to that.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
 :'(
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline mightyredbarney

• Kopite
  • This... is for Matilda.
Lovely piece, has added a bit of warmth to the stark warnings everyone seems to be bombarding me with at the minute about how Istanbul / Turks / football / Leeds Utd murders / fans in general will lead to nothing but trouble.

Can't wait for Istanbul. My first Euro away day, with a great group of friends, and the extended Liverpool FC family singing our lungs out. Walk on, everyone.
"Many are called but few are chosen."

25/05/05, the greatest night of my life.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
Would love to get a copy of that, the Italian lad says he watches the silence every now and then, surely we could get this on DVD somehow
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Thanks very much for that

Too young to have any recollection of memories from the time, but wow, hit something inside me that did
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
I guess at the time I underestimated the moment though, assuming naively that many, many stadiums around the world would be seeing similar gestures at that time...

The only other one I'm aware of was Sunderland. They were playing the Mancs at Old Trafford, who started booing in the minutes silence. The Sunderland fans drowned them out with a defiant rendition of YNWA.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline tommy-

• Kopite
  • Take me drunk, i'm home!
walk on (clap clap)
walk on (clap clap)
with hope (clap clap)
In yer heart (clap clap)

Almost Anfield rap like, I like it!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The only other one I'm aware of was Sunderland. They were playing the Mancs at Old Trafford, who started booing in the minutes silence. The Sunderland fans drowned them out with a defiant rendition of YNWA.

I think that was many years later though.

Offline leonmc0708

• Still not in the clique.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just to echo everyone elses comments, great post, e-mailed it to every red I know.

One thing, is it just me or does it sound like their version is based around "The Anfield Rap" with the clapping bit?
"I think he scored 23 goals when I played him at right wing no ? So if he scores 24 this season then we will see
" - Rafael Benitez

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
I think that was many years later though.

Yeah, should have said that: it was on the anniversary AFAIK. Don't remember how many years after, but it's still touching and I'll always remember they did it. Just as I'll always hate the Mancs for booing it.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
what I was gonna say as well Tommy.

Yep, brings tears to your eye remembering what they did it does.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Brilliant. I never knew about this. Thanks for telling the story, Steve. I was moved to tears reading your piece.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
  • 'There's no Mancs in 'ere lads!'
Just to echo everyone elses comments, great post, e-mailed it to every red I know.

One thing, is it just me or does it sound like their version is based around "The Anfield Rap" with the clapping bit?

Yeah...now all we need is the Milan fans chanting 'No de don't talk like we do, do de doh la' and they've, er...'got it sussed'.
Da Dang

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
Love reading about that story, and never tire of hearing about how the Milan fans showed this act of sympathy, support solidarity.

This run to the European Cup Final, has been truly special, it has thrown up so much history from our past and from great days, to exceptionaly sad ones. This run to the final has been more than just about the football for our club. And so it finishes with the perfect final against AC Milan.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline BigPerm

• Boys Pen
  • Say we will C what you say when you C Cisse play
Cheers Rushian, good post.

It would be nice if we had a banner to say thanks to them.

SOmething like "Thank you Milan, 1989 - YNWA"

Offline SuperSub77

• Kopite
  • Scals aren't what they used to be
    • terrace ultra
Well remembered Rushian, took me back.

You are an education to us all!
"I was a teenage armchair Honved fan"

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Although i have not heard it yet thanks Rushian for posting it, 1989 was when i was 2 years old but i am encouraged to learn.

Does this pave the way for a full stadium rendition of YNWA?  :wave - Heres hoping that would be quality, moving and tear jerking :)
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
Thanks for that Rushian.

The hairs on my arms have stood up, I've got goosebumps and tears in my eyes.

Never forget.  :)
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Lenny

• Main Stander
Good work Rushian.
I think we should make a banner like they made for us, just to show we haven't forgoten their kind support
Oh his father was a soldier...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Top stuff, Steve. Thanks for bringing that to mind.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the education.  This makes the 25th even better than it's already is!

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
Great post, it would be brilliant if someone had a copy of the 1989 redition - someone with links to Milan fans perhaps?

Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline robertma

• Main Stander
  • Kopite for life
well said

Offline tony mccrorie

• Boys Pen
Thank you so much - I too saw it and, in the context of Istanbul, I can't believe I'd forgotten about it.  Before he gets to Turkey I will make sure my son reads your article.

Kind regards.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good work Rushian.
I think we should make a banner like they made for us, just to show we haven't forgoten their kind support

Can't make a banner for shit myself but happy to contribute to the cost instead if someone more capable wants to get one made.  Think its a great idea.
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline lc7djb

• Main Stander
I had heard there was a special relationship between us and the AC fans, but I had never heard about them singing YNWA...

Thanks for sharing that with us, incredible. AC fans have gone up in my estimation no end after that - look forward to meeting a few of them next week!

Wonder if there's any TV footage available?