Author Topic: Señor Benitez - meet the Twelfth Man  (Read 6157 times)

Roddysul

Señor Benitez - meet the Twelfth Man
« on: December 9, 2004, 12:38:02 am »
Well -  looks like the latest player to return from a long spell of absence has finally made an appearance at Anfield for Rafa the Gaffa.  Having made a cameo appearance  for the last 10 minutes against Arsenal, the Twelfth Man was on from the start tonight.

From an impressive pre-kick-off rendition of YNWA,  a healthier than usual display of banners and flags, and a fans instigated mosaic remembering the fans of both clubs killed in tragic accidents at games, it looked from the off that this was going to be a game when he might play a part.

It had all the hallmarks of a classic Anfield Euro night - a must win game - effectively it was as if we were in the good old knockout competition of the old European Cup, having lost the away leg 1-0 in Greece. There was more than just a hint of St Etienne about the game even before it started. As the game kicked off all four sides of Anfield were belting their lungs out - yes even the blanket and flask carriers in the Paddock!

Then Rivaldo (enjoy the UEFA cup, fella) did his thing and we were behind. Ah bugger.   I'd be lying if I wasn't thinking to myself where I might be visiting in the UEFA Cup - but I carried on singing and so did the Twelfth Man. 

Half time gave us the news that the score in Spain wasn't good (monaco already 3-0 up at Deportivo) so we really needed three goals -  bit of a mountain to climb but I've seen it done before.

The Twelfth man chipped in with a rousing rendition of YNWA at the end of half time -  if ever there was a time we needed it, this was it.  The rest as they say is already written into the legends archive.

The Twelfth man stayed on its feet all night (in perfect safety) and after the game the delirium could be heard in the streets around Anfield for an hour after the final whistle had been blown. The Twelfth man had truly returned.

This will have been the first time that not only Rafa but a large contingent of the players will have witnessed a night like this at Anfield. They will have seen first hand exactly what these nights mean to us and I'm sure tonights game will make them hungry for more of the same. Anybody visiting Anfield for the first time tonight (Greek fans included) could not fail to have been impressed. 

Welcome back twelfth man -  hope you don't leave it so long next time.

© Roddysul 2004
« Last Edit: December 9, 2004, 04:48:18 am by Rushian »

hoonin

Re: Senor Benitez - meet the Twelfth Man
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2004, 12:40:59 am »
:thumbup

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2004, 12:43:26 am »
Great post

Offline redpaul77

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2004, 12:44:16 am »
nice one  :wellin

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2004, 12:44:34 am »
only wish I could have been there - it sounded incredible on tv to be there must have been something else. Roll on Saturday lets show the blue shite what a real football game is.

YNWA

JD
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Offline dom_d

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Come on you Mighty Reds
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2004, 12:52:27 am »
Nice one,  Roddy.

Welcome back, 12th man.

Don't leave it so long next time.
;D
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2004, 12:52:36 am »

Welcome back twelfth man -  hope you don't leave it so long next time.

Back to normal from now...................... ???

For all against a Standing Kop, tonight was a reminder of times passed.

Stevie G ........ if you want to swap that for a vacuous Chelsea crowd, it says more about you than us.

YNWA at the start of the 2nd half was a breathtaking, unwarranted, unconditional show of support that ONLY happens at Anfield. :wellin

Even the Greeks were impressed, from the first, through the mosaic to the last bit of 'your not singing any more' --- followed in true Kop style by a great ovation for the Greek fans.
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Roddysul

« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2004, 12:55:12 am »
missed that cos I was busy waving to Abel Xavier in the Main Stand   ;D

Offline darknite

• Kemlynite
  • Forever Bleedin' RED
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2004, 12:56:09 am »
I haven't heard it yet, given that I don't have telecasts here.. but your words brought tears to my eyes just imagining the scenes.

Anfield is truly the ONE magical place in world football.

Offline ®äfä.. ®äfä...ßëñíTêz

• Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for the memories RB! **YNWA Liam Harker***
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2004, 01:00:04 am »
crowd was awesome tonight, brilliant

:wellin  :wellin  rafa benitez.......rafa benitez......rafa benitez....rafa rafa benitez xabi alonso garcia and nunez  :wellin :wellin
E L  P I S T O L E R O - LUIS SUAREZ  

JOHN W HENRY THE LEGEND - www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2004, 01:41:06 am »
\Don't like that bastard 12th man bloke - he stole my voice  :no
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Maz

• Mary Mary Quite Contrary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouser,plays for LFC,what more could a girl want!
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2004, 01:43:34 am »
Back to normal from now...................... ???

For all against a Standing Kop, tonight was a reminder of times passed.

Stevie G ........ if you want to swap that for a vacuous chelsea crowd, it says more about you than us.

YNWA at the start of the 2nd half was a breathtaking, unwarranted, unconditional show of support that ONLY happens at Anfield. :wellin

Even the Greeks were impressed, from the first, through the mosaic to the last bit of 'your not singing any more' --- followed in true Kop style by a great ovation for the Greek fans.
i'm sorry, but we are LFC and at the end of the day                                              it goes fucking dark.

if and it is a big IF OMHO  Gerrard goes, i for one won't bear any grudges, i can honestly understand his need for winning things and like he said he is 25 soon (or is it 26??)  he could have gone last season but he's held out to see how things will pan out, anyone who's a Liverpool fan has to give him the benefit of the doubt, it's not like he was like Michael Owen and has done an interview 2 weeks before and said "honestly, we are closer than we've ever been to signing"    and a week later he became a Real Madrid player, i just wish Owen would have had the honestly Gerrard has in the weeks leading up to his departure if Gerrard is going to depart,  at least he has been honest from the onset if he decides to go elsewhere i for one will support him and understand his reasons, i don't want this to be seen as a "Gerrard is going" thread but if it's to be "Que sera sera",  we've been in this position before and come out smiling,  Yes it will be sad if one of our sons see's fit to leave the place he started but others have done it and we've coped, no-one is indespensable, don't get me wrong, replacing Stevie G will be a task and a half and probably then some but if that that's the case, i'm sure Rafa will do his upmost to try to put plasters on the open wounds we will all be feeling, i have faith in Rafa Benitez much more than i had in Gerard Houllier as much as i loved him and put my faith and trust in him , i feel Gerard Houllier took us as far as he could physically(sp) and mentally, he was a great manager but he did the best he could and was not quite enough.  In my eyes he will always be one of Liverpool's great managers, we all knew it was time to move on and when we did we couldn't have wished for a greater manager than Benitez, he has already brought the club on in leaps and bounds so far this season, mostly with the home record which was unfortunately broken the other week, but a better record than last season,  i know i have blabbed on for ages about Gerrard and Houllier and just LFC in general but i just felt this was my chance to put my opinion out there for you all to either agree or disagree with.

I really hope Stevie doesn't leave but at least if he does we can rest in the fact that he has been honest with us all from the start.

I love Michael Owen but i wish he would have just come out and said that he wanted to leave instead of misleading the fans and letting mother's (like myself) go out and buy their son's LFC shirts with his name and number on the back.

The Kop is an awesome place to be in any match but in a game like tonight's i would have given my left arm to be in there tonight with my boy.

i couldn't get any tickets as hard as i tried but we watched sky sports 2 and we had a blast, beer got knocked over and my lamps went west but i didn't give a flying fuck coz we won! ;D

sorry to all who think i've made no sense whatsoever in my reply to this thread. feel free to give me as much shit as you like coz i've probably waffled on for far too long and gone on about things that aren't even included in this thread but hey, i love LFC and had to get it all off my chest, don't expect me to bite back if you give me shit coz i won't, i have my opinion and you have your's, fair do's.

that's it, rant over ;) :-* :wave

Carragher's bit on the side.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2004, 08:59:51 am »
we had a blast, beer got knocked over and my lamps went west but i didn't give a flying fuck coz we won! ;D

sorry to all who think i've made no sense whatsoever in my reply to this thread.

;D

And no need to apologise - it was from the heart.

Roddy - brilliant post mate  :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
Re: Señor Benitez - meet the Twelfth Man
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2004, 11:10:51 am »
Great post.

Quote from the Indpendent:

"Sometimes Anfield can be a buoyant stadium, occasionally it can be sentimental, but last night it was a loud angry and wonderfully intimidating arena"
RTK

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2004, 11:14:49 am »
Great post.

Quote from the Indpendent:

"Sometimes Anfield can be a buoyant stadium, occasionally it can be sentimental, but last night it was a loud angry and wonderfully intimidating arena"

Ooooh we've graduated to arena status have we? Am just glad Ben and I found alternative seats before the second half!

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2004, 11:30:26 am »
Don't forget the thirteenth man - Rafa! I'd pay good money to hear his half time speech and his first two subs were inspirational. With the twelfth and thirteenth men on our side we are unstoppable!

Roll on whoever-the-fuck-wants-some, we'll twat them all the same!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2004, 11:49:23 am »
Roll on whoever-the-fuck-wants-some, we'll twat them all the same!

LoadO mate - Brilliant.   :wellin :wellin  You've got to have that as your signature - surely  ;D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline myrlas