Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 590863 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #1040 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:40 pm »
Been very enjoyable to watch his development here hasn't it? I basked in his signing by Brendan, but the triple whammy of Lambert, Balotelli and Benteke helped to cloud things for a good long while. He was a 50/50 player out wide for a good long while, and those targets up front, with the way we were setting up, wasn't bringing the best out of him.

He was nearly always in that number 10 spot in a 4231 at Southampton if memory serves, and it got the best out of him there. He was the man to make things happen and he often did. We had (and still have) a few number 10 types, so he was shoe-horned to the left and he found things a bit difficult, not helped when we had Balotelli or Benteke up front, especially Balotelli, tho I can't remember how many games they played together. He's at a new club, it's Liverpool, so there are extra demands and pressure, but he's also, not the main creator.

Fast forward a bit, and he gets a gig in a more central role, slightly deeper. Anyone know when he was first played there? I had a quick look at some of my own posts about Lallana, and Sep 2014, I was bemoaning the deployment of Lucas in the 'Allen role', wishing Lallana was there instead. Not a crow, I get plenty wrong, but when we buy a two footed player... especially with some of the other qualities in Lallana, I want them in the middle doing stuff. Doing all those quiet things aswell as the noticeable things... getting many more touches on the ball and knitting in.

So I think his resurgence has been down to many things... his time at the club (now far more at home), his re-deployment (which simply suits him better), better players in front of him (and to the side and behind), and Klopp of course. The change in his fitness levels has also been quite staggering. He was also taken off alot at Southampton... at the start here... 60 mins... Lallana is coming off. Now he's happy to go for about 110 minutes.

And he can get better.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:15:33 pm by Filler. »

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #1041 on: December 15, 2016, 11:17:43 pm »
Wonderful technique, lovely first touch with the ability to pick a pass and turn on a sixpence.
Add to that his phenomenal work rate, silky skills and finishing.

Sublime footballer.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:44 pm »
He's our Silva. Constantly receiving the ball in the tightest areas, holding it, attracting more pressure and then passing it out to an area with more space. Constantly breaking lines with a little turn or burst and then playing the pass. He's absolutely brilliant and is a bona fide 50m pound central midfielder (Although given Pogba went for 90m, maybe I need to reevaluate that). I thought he was being bought to replace Hendo in the 4-4-2 diamond we were playing at the time and we all know how that turned out. But I'm really glad to see that his ultimate strength is now being recognised and built upon.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:58 pm »
14 games, 6 goals,  6 assists. Already surpassed his previous best G+A season, less than half way through the season. All from central midfield. Bit outrageous really.
it was a bit clear he was wasted out wide, but we were trying to squeeze him in. Really happy he's we're getting the best out of him
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: December 16, 2016, 01:20:58 am »
Between Lallana and Firmino, are there any other players better in the squad in epitomizing the Klopp way and the destruction it is capable of causing?
Mane doesn't like this.

Or Phil.

Or Origi.

;)

Offline KenyanKopite

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1045 on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:43 am »
Is he single?

Nope, married and has 2 sons
Quote from: Pelé as a Comedian

maybe the wasp was from Uruguay ? did it fly away and kiss its wrists jubilantly ?

Nope, he flopped on the floor and rolled about a bit when I hadn't even touched him so I nailed him with a stamp. Huth-like.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1046 on: December 16, 2016, 09:29:38 am »
Don't think anyone seen this coming
lol merry xmas mate
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: December 16, 2016, 08:25:43 pm »
Speaking to BBC Sport after Liverpool’s 3-0 win against Middlesbrough on Wednesay night, Klopp lifted the lid on a conversation with Lallana last year that has seemingly made a difference.

“Adam Lallana is improving even when he doesn’t score, but it’s nice he’s in that situation,” Klopp said.

“About a year ago I had sat him in the office and I was happy with him but he was like ‘I’m not scoring’. And I said he wasn’t in the right positions. Tonight he was twice in the right position and it was wonderful.”

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1048 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:41 pm »
He's our Silva. Constantly receiving the ball in the tightest areas, holding it, attracting more pressure and then passing it out to an area with more space. Constantly breaking lines with a little turn or burst and then playing the pass. He's absolutely brilliant and is a bona fide 50m pound central midfielder (Although given Pogba went for 90m, maybe I need to reevaluate that). I thought he was being bought to replace Hendo in the 4-4-2 diamond we were playing at the time and we all know how that turned out. But I'm really glad to see that his ultimate strength is now being recognised and built upon.

This is exactly how i see him,plays with wing mirrors on. Very clever player and has a good work ethic,him and Phil must be a nightmare to play against!

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1049 on: December 16, 2016, 08:41:02 pm »
Sorry i didnt mean to edit your post!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: December 16, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
6 goals and 6 assists so far. 

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1051 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »
Between Lallana and Firmino, are there any other players better in the squad in epitomizing the Klopp way and the destruction it is capable of causing?

Clyne and Milner. Vastly underrated.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1052 on: December 16, 2016, 10:07:34 pm »
it was a bit clear he was wasted out wide, but we were trying to squeeze him in. Really happy he's we're getting the best out of him

Klopp changed the formation to fit Lallana in really, shows how highly he's rated. Less pressure on him to deliver output now and it shows, playing so freely, and arriving from late which is always key for a goalscoring midfielder. Has become hungry for goals.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: December 16, 2016, 11:52:58 pm »
Klopp changed the formation to fit Lallana in really

Really? Formation wise... how did we change?

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #1054 on: December 17, 2016, 05:06:54 am »

I basked in his signing by Brendan, but the triple whammy of Lambert, Balotelli and Benteke helped to cloud things for a good long while. He was a 50/50 player out wide for a good long while, and those targets up front, with the way we were setting up, wasn't bringing the best out of him.
Really great post mate. I just want to say that I disagree a little with this part - I felt like that season he actually put in better performances when Lambert was on the pitch. Maybe it mitigated some of the pressure of fitting in when he was able to play alongside somebody he knew well? Or maybe I'm just misremembering.

He's such a good player at this point. I'm so pleased we're getting the best out of him.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: December 17, 2016, 08:54:43 am »

Weren't we using 4-2-3-1 last season? This season that has changed to a 4-3-3.

Online Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: December 17, 2016, 09:01:38 am »
Arguably our most important player now, which just goes to show how much hard work he's put in and how much his game has come one under Klopp. I think he's a natural 'Klopp player' anyway but still, hats off.

Having an absolutely vintage season.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1057 on: December 17, 2016, 10:51:09 am »
Bit good isnt he ?

Player benefitting most from Jurgens management.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1058 on: December 17, 2016, 11:07:13 am »
Arguably our most important player now
No argument for me, people said we'd miss Phil, and don't get me wrong we do, but when Adam is out then we really struggle.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #1059 on: December 17, 2016, 03:41:22 pm »
Lallana is so important for our defensive shape. He creates so many opportunities by triggering the press in the right moment. Klopp is a genius for building the formation around Adam this season. I don't think many of us would have advocated for that at the end of the last season. I certainly did not.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1060 on: December 17, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

We were clearly 4-2-3-1 last season, now 4-3-3. Mane signed right wing to give us a new dynamic wide, but would've displaced Lallana so Klopp changed to accommodate him.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1061 on: December 17, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »
Lallana is so important for our defensive shape. He creates so many opportunities by triggering the press in the right moment. Klopp is a genius for building the formation around Adam this season. I don't think many of us would have advocated for that at the end of the last season. I certainly did not.

I would've. People just hated him because he didn't deliver output. It was clear he had plenty of talent, it was ensuring he had the confidence and freedom to deliver. There's no pressure on him to score now but he's doing so as a result.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1062 on: December 17, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »
lol merry xmas mate

Not familiar with your work, is there some hidden context to this post?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: December 17, 2016, 10:25:43 pm »
We were clearly 4-2-3-1 last season, now 4-3-3. Mane signed right wing to give us a new dynamic wide, but would've displaced Lallana so Klopp changed to accommodate him.
Weren't we using 4-2-3-1 last season? This season that has changed to a 4-3-3.

I worded it slightly wrong as I was in conversational mode. We did change yes, but so as to accomodate Lallana I don't think so. The change in formation is a bit more nuanced than that. I think we'd all agree on that. Far more nuanced than shifting a midfield and forward line to bring in a particular player anyhow. Maybe Klopp had wanted Lallana a bit deeper and wanted a bit of pace in Mane for a while - that's up for debate for those wishing to indulge in it - many thought we'd be better off with him central.

Whatever the case, he's found his spec, and it's paying dividends.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1064 on: December 18, 2016, 04:28:27 am »
I worded it slightly wrong as I was in conversational mode. We did change yes, but so as to accomodate Lallana I don't think so. The change in formation is a bit more nuanced than that. I think we'd all agree on that. Far more nuanced than shifting a midfield and forward line to bring in a particular player anyhow. Maybe Klopp had wanted Lallana a bit deeper and wanted a bit of pace in Mane for a while - that's up for debate for those wishing to indulge in it - many thought we'd be better off with him central.

Whatever the case, he's found his spec, and it's paying dividends.

Agree. I think Klopp tweaked the formation to accommodate his midfield players - i.e. Lallana, Henderson and Wijnaldum. That's the key innovation to our formation this season. Wijnaldum and Lallana have the agility and intelligence to quickly turn defence into attack, whether it's through pressing, quick turns or quick exchanges of passes. Henderson's general steadiness, passing range and stamina gives us a decent shield-passing hub.

I get the sense that it's something he's thought about since last season. There was a lot of talk before the start of the season about how Klopp wanted a double pivot, with one more defensive and the other an agile ball-carrier/distributor/playmaker who can also chip in with defensive duties - like Mahmoud Dahoud. Something similar to how he set Dortmund up.

But a couple of months into the season, with Henderson and Lallana kicking ass in their new roles, and Milner also excelling at LB, Klopp mentioned in a press conference that it's something they considered, and thought about for a long time before putting the plan into action, I'm thinking at the start of this pre-season. I think we were always going to play a midfield 3, even if we got Dahoud.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1065 on: December 18, 2016, 06:18:05 am »
His work rate and intelligence is rightly lauded - but can we stop for a second to appreciate how brilliantly entertaining he is to watch? I'm not sure there's a more two footed player in the league, and his technique is incredible. Somehow, we've got a flair player and an engine rolled into one.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: December 18, 2016, 12:18:33 pm »
Always thought he was one of those quintessentially English players who took the move Liverpool as the ultimate payday and didn't feel he had the need to improve.

He's proved me wrong in the last 8 to 10 months, adding goals to his clever ball skills and off the ball movement. There has been an infuriating number of times in the last two seasons when he would be the farthest man up the pitch and he would absolutely make a hash of the chances he had. Now, we expect something positive to happen, and the goals have started to flow.

A very good professional who is well worth the money (and that English premium isn't looking so high now, is it?)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:20:09 pm by Red Bird »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1067 on: December 18, 2016, 02:24:34 pm »
Pretty much. Even I started having doubts about him repeating his Southampton form for us after a couple of underwhelming seasons but luck brough Jurgen to Liverpool and it changed him dramatically. A manager who knows how to utilise him to the fullest at the correct position was the only difference between the one who frustrated most of the time and the one who is currently enjoying his football and making things happen midfield. It's like he's been unshackled of any limiters and were told to just let rip, come what may.

Couple? This is one of the things I often see being repeated, but is not true.

He joined us in 2014-15, a season where we lost Suarez and got Balotelli. If that doesn't sum up anything, we were abject that season in most areas of the pitch.

Not directing this at you, but what do majority of fans expect from a player who had most of the attacks go through him in his previous team, when the set-up in his new team isolated him out wide and he was put alongside a very static attack? I still don't see why that season is held against him, when it was mostly Brendan who was struggling to find his best lineup and the entire team was not good at all.

So it was really, one underwhelming season. Last season was one of resurgence for him. Even when he wasn't scoring or assisting, he was doing very well with crucial dummies and second assists that don't come up in the stats section. We could all see how Klopp had him as one of the first names in the team sheet last season itself and it never made sense when there were sections in the fan base that said during the summer that he was at best going to be a squad player this season after Mane was bought. He is one of the archetypal Klopp players and this season, he has been phenomenal.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1068 on: December 19, 2016, 03:07:15 pm »
Agree. I think Klopp tweaked the formation to accommodate his midfield players - i.e. Lallana, Henderson and Wijnaldum. That's the key innovation to our formation this season. Wijnaldum and Lallana have the agility and intelligence to quickly turn defence into attack, whether it's through pressing, quick turns or quick exchanges of passes. Henderson's general steadiness, passing range and stamina gives us a decent shield-passing hub.

I get the sense that it's something he's thought about since last season. There was a lot of talk before the start of the season about how Klopp wanted a double pivot, with one more defensive and the other an agile ball-carrier/distributor/playmaker who can also chip in with defensive duties - like Mahmoud Dahoud. Something similar to how he set Dortmund up.

But a couple of months into the season, with Henderson and Lallana kicking ass in their new roles, and Milner also excelling at LB, Klopp mentioned in a press conference that it's something they considered, and thought about for a long time before putting the plan into action, I'm thinking at the start of this pre-season. I think we were always going to play a midfield 3, even if we got Dahoud.

Think the formation is very dependent on Coutinho though. He sort of drops in alongside Henderson when in possession, whereas Lallana, Can and Wijnaldum (whoever plays) push up and make runs off the ball. This is why we lost so much control against Bournemouth because we didn't have the balance, to maintain circulation of the ball in a comfortable fashion, and then when we lost it, we lost an extra number in the defensive transition. Their second goal was such a poor goal to concede at 1-3 up. Hence against Boro, Lallana and Wijnaldum played a lot deeper to improve that aspect because Firmino can't play that Coutinho role in the same manner.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1069 on: December 19, 2016, 05:25:33 pm »
Everton won't know what's hit them later. 
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Andy9

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1070 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:57 pm »
Not sure if we're still suggesting Lallana tunes?

The tune of Hey Jude

Ad-dam, he scores for fun,
takes the Cruyff turn and makes it better.
Jurgen has got him running the wings,
Because with him we're so much better, better, better, better

La la la Lallalana Lallalana Adam
La la la Lallalana Lallalana Adam.

Hope its not sacrilege to suggest a Beatles song? Probably terrible attempt, but hey least I wont die not knowing if its a terrible suggestion.  :) 8)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #1071 on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:09 pm »
Still purring at that incredible double shimmy/nutmeg combo he did at pace attacking them not long before he was substituted. (edit 74.40 in the game.)

Can only find it on the LFCTVGO full match. Only highlights on fullmatchesandshows  :-\

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:49:52 pm by Redsnappa »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1072 on: December 27, 2016, 07:57:32 pm »
This guy is just too good to be true this season. I mean what else can you say about him, as good as it gets in that position.

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: December 27, 2016, 08:19:23 pm »
Excellent, just excellent once again, easily our MotM. He carried the whole team on his shoulders at times during our tricky patch in the first half, he was popping up everywhere. A true joy to watch.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #1074 on: December 27, 2016, 08:19:46 pm »
The least English player I've ever seen, he's pure poetry with the way he moves and spins around. At this moment I'd rather lose any other player to injury so crucial his role for us is. Granted, this is also in part because we have no one like him on the bench.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: December 27, 2016, 08:20:20 pm »
Beardsley all over again. Class.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1076 on: December 27, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
The only reason that losing Coutinho hasn't been of much negative impact than it should've been. Lallana makes us tick.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1077 on: December 27, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »
Loves a tight angle this lad.
:D

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: December 27, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »
The only reason that losing Coutinho hasn't been of much negative impact than it should've been. Lallana makes us tick.

Imagine them two together again! Oh soon, I hope.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: December 27, 2016, 08:32:53 pm »
Makes. Us. Tick.

Love this lad!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?