Author Topic: Terry O'Neill  (Read 12996 times)

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
Terry O'Neill
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:35:37 pm »
Karate legend, film star and philospher (OK, lied about the last bit).

Despite his hardman image, I have to say that, from personal experience, he's a gentleman....most of the time. :)

He's seems to dropped out of sight - does anybody know if he's still doing the door anywhere?  He must be in his 60's now so suspect that he might be putting his feet up somewhere - but you never know with Terry.
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
Re: Terry O'Neill
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:07 pm »
Met Terry on a speed awareness course in 2008. The man is both a legend and a gentleman.
From what I gather he still does a bit of 'door work' but not too sure where?

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:19 am »
Saw him at a 50th last month, top fella. Got a story or two aswell  :)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »
was he the lad who put about five blokes in hospital ? in one go
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:21:55 pm »
was he the lad who put about five blokes in hospital ? in one go
Could well be, I saw him batter 3 big fellas outside the She club.
He was always a gent until you were stupid enough to rattle his cage.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 04:01:57 pm »
Could well be, I saw him batter 3 big fellas outside the She club.
He was always a gent until you were stupid enough to rattle his cage.

I had the 'pleasure' of being kicked in the head by him (I know, I know, 'explains a lot!') during training at the Everton Red Triangle - ball-breaking instructor, no mercy, but brilliant too.  I remember him telling us all that he intended to win the approaching British Karate Championship by scoring maximum points in every round - and he did.

His favourite technique was ishiro-mashwashi geri (reverse round house kick) which meant that, when standing directly in front of you, he'd kicked you in the back of your head with his heel.

Now 7th(?) Dan I think, revered by the Japanese and the Americans, World Champion - a quietly spoken, humble.... legend.

The only person I ever seen better than Terry is another scouser, Frank Brennan. And I'm sure Terry would agree, as he trained him! :)

Offline IfOnlyYouKnew

• Slow reader
  • Anny Roader
  • "No truly great man ever thought himself so"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:07:23 pm »
Met him a few times. A true Liverpool Legend and a total gentleman. Saw him defuse a gang of coked up teenagers on bold street a while back with just a whisper (no, not the chocolate bar!).

A whisper is louder than a shout when it comes from Mr O'Neill. Respect to you Terry

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:46 pm »
Sir Roger, did you know Gary Spiers from your Karate days?

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »
I met him a few times,when i was a kid.nice fella,and a big fucker.last i heard of him,he was living in a caravan somewhere in southport

Hes dead now isnt he
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:07:10 pm »
I met him a few times,when i was a kid.nice fella,and a big fucker.last i heard of him,he was living in a caravan somewhere in southport

Hes dead now isnt he

Yeah, he died a few years ago mate. Was an absolute mountain of a man.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »
Yeah, he died a few years ago mate. Was an absolute mountain of a man.
Yeah he was.covered in tats.wasnt he meant to be a hitman n all?

Dont know if its true or not,but i was working in a chippy late one night cleaning up after the clubs had all shut.when all of a sudden the road was chocka with bizzies and ambulances etc..

Apparently some guy and the owner of the kingsway in southport had been set upon by some crew trying to have em off....was later told it was him (who was attacked with the owner) ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:50:11 pm by Captain Tsubasa »
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 11:51:59 pm »

Yes, I had the honour of training with Gary when he was in his prime. Whereas I was trained in Shotokan karate, Gary (as you probably know) was an exponent of Goju ryu - a particulary useful street fighting style (high stance, very few high kicks but, boy, very very effective).  Terry brought him back from Japan and found him a job working the doors.

Although brutal, I loved training with him as Shotokan is not very useful 'on the street' as its too extreme (unless you were as skillful as Terry) whilst Goju Ryu was all about street fighting.  Not the sort of bloke I'd want to have a drink with (unlike Terry), he was a very effective trainer.

I remember a story about Gary, who was a really stocky bloke, huge in fact , when he worked the door in Liverpool. A couple of even bigger blokes threatened him and the other doorman and were really shouting the odds. One pulled a blade and, in a flash, Gary had broken his arm and ripped his nostrils, causing the bloke to scream like a pig. The bloke's mates looked on in horror and Gary turned to them and said 'Next?'.  They legged it and no complaints were made to the police.  The story was from a witness, not Gary,  who never talked about his exploits.  Maybe because they're all too horrendous!  :)

I have met some great blokes during my karate 'career', all of whom could have ripped my head off and put it on backwards if they wanted to, but most remained humble and were gentle men.

However, Gary wasn't, -  he really believed in the 'martial' part of the art. He wasn't into katas, meditation or 'fancy' (girlie?) stuff like that. He believed that karate was for fighting men, involved in fighting in their day to day lives. You had to respect that in a way - he was a throwback and living outside his time.

Yes, he had loads of tatoos but he's a New Zealander and was paying his respects to his Maori roots.

Hitman? Not sure... but wouldn't be surprised as he was a trained slaughterman and I know he wouldn't think twice about topping someone....he certainly had quite a few enemies....but I never had a problem with him. Thank the Lord!......
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:21:26 am by Sir Roger Hunt »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »
The best Karateka I ever met was my Sensei of many years, Steve Cattle. A softly spoken absolute gent of a man. Kind and decent. One of the truly nicest people I've ever met.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »
The best Karateka I ever met was my Sensei of many years, Steve Cattle. A softly spoken absolute gent of a man. Kind and decent. One of the truly nicest people I've ever met.

Ha, I know Steve quite well and trained with him years ago at Crystal Palace, with Enoeda, Andy Sherry and Bob Poynton et al.  he also cam to the Triangle quite often.

I saw him beat Terry O with two swift gyaku-zukis to win the British Championship - his was fearless (actually offered Terry his head as a target for a Mawashi Geri Jodan which he ducked underneath to nail him), had brilliant timing,  and was practically impossible to sweep because his stance was so strong.

Real legend and one of those gentle men I mentioned earlier.....

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:18 am »

actually offered Terry his head as a target for a Mawashi Geri Jodan

???

What? He wanted him to throw a curry at him?

Offline IfOnlyYouKnew

• Slow reader
  • Anny Roader
  • "No truly great man ever thought himself so"
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »
Karate is no contest against Chinese Kung Fu :missus

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 09:24:26 pm »
Fight! Fight! Fight!

;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54:10 pm »

kung fuey? for girls.......   8) :moon