Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 101031 times)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #400 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:39 am »
One thing, though: just watching some daft crap earlier on tonight in Spielberg's War of the Worlds, I really hope Scott doesn't 'overdirect' this, if you know what I mean. It's gona be 3D, Imax, the whole shebang, but I really, really hope the elaborate, painstakingly-constructed Giger sets, characters, physical sfx, etc. do far more talking than styslised camera trickery and CGI.
How deeply and intelligently the central premise is explored will decide whether it sinks or swims as a 'pure' sci-fi flick, but even if that impresses enough, unnecessary bits of auteur showing off (of which I feel Scott has been guilty at times since his incredible first few features) would spoil things a little for me. Thankfully, Russell Crowe isn't in this one.  ;D

Trailers for these kinds of highly-anticipated blockbusters are always gona be almost-parodically flashy and pumped-up, but I'd welcome a return to the late-70s-early-80s Ridley Scott in terms of perfect pacing and tightly handled artistic flair, rather than the one who looked in danger of nearly turning into Tony Scott at one point. Also, considering a few big names he worked with in the earlier days have been quite critical of his direction of actors (Harrison Ford's definitely one of them), and he's supposed to have greatly improved his treatment of cast members since that time, I reckon he summoned some utterly brilliant performances out of those more tense, difficult relationships he reportedly had back then. I'm not so much into the modern-day, cigar-chomping movie mogul Ridley, to be honest. I'm sure the vision and talent's still there within that mind though.

Good post, hope you are right too. A return to a Blade Runner type intelligence and pace would be most welcome. Signs are hopeful, I do think this was a script that he has been sitting on and developing for a long time. In terms of visuals and 3D Imax gubbins we go back to the Avatar question: you can have the best looking film in the world but the story is always that thing that people take away. The story is always the reason you will watch a film a second time. With Avatar I just couldn't be bothered to do that, despite how shiny it looked. That said, this movie looks like it could be outrageous in IMAX.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: March 19, 2012, 08:53:45 am »
I don't think the original ones will be in it.

Based on LV426, Facehuggers obviously in it, quick shot of what looks to be an alien queen in one of the trailers.

Safe to say they'll be in it, but hope they're not tacked on right at the end.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #402 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:52 am »
Well you are always going to have difficulty being knocked off your feet by a film the older and more stuff you see.
It's possible they could do something quite strong in horror terms without going beyond a 15, if they did want a 'proper' theatrical release - depends whether the classification board are a bunch of pussies about frights that aren't particularly gory. Psychological horror, suggestion and all that. Doubt there'll be much sexy stuff going on it, although some gratuitous Theron/Rapace nudity is never unwelcome.

Loads of truly great adult-oriented films, with heart-stoppingly brutal cinematic moments, have a 15 rating. If it got a 'U', I'd start worrying. But of course, the tried and trusted pull-in-the-hoi-polloi-at-the-box-office-and-then-milk-the-proper-fans-with-dvd-special-editions system probably carries the least 'risk'. Really wish the studios'd take more risks these days - the original was an X-rating, for fuck's sake; that didn't do too badly. I know it was pretty low-budget in comparison, but still.
The 'fanboy' comment is totally unfair - no one's seen the film yet, they're just getting excited about it, naturally. We can't tell how good or bad the finer points of the plot are until we've seen it. And if you're demanding a timeless masterpiece like 2001 and Blade Runner, you're just setting yourself up for a disappointment, mate. Those films just came together beautifully, and were perfect for their time and audience. You can't expect that going in.

Why worry until you see it? If it's a let-down, it's a let-down - you can't do anything about it.
True enough but as I've already said, this is Ridley Scott, doing a sci-fi, with elements of the alien universe...and a $150m budget. Naturally expectations are more than just a bit high, especially when they are marketing the film this aggressively. It HAS to be good frankly otherwise they'll thoroughly deserve a good kicking for getting our hopes up. And I suppose we shouldn't get hung up on the certificate too much, Star Wars was a U after all, but the thought of it not being the director's intended vision and maybe having to wait to see that really pisses me off.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #403 on: March 19, 2012, 09:20:24 am »
Safe to say they'll be in it, but hope they're not tacked on right at the end.

I want to see very little of an Alien Queen. All of her best moments were off camera / in the shadows. When she steps into the light she morphs from an object of terror to another natty piece of CGI.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:33 am »
I want to see very little of an Alien Queen. All of her best moments were off camera / in the shadows. When she steps into the light she morphs from an object of terror to another natty piece of CGI.

Aye, I know what you mean mate.

From the trailers, it looks like there'll be some spectacular CGI, however it doesn't look like they're going over the top with it, with most shots probably be from inside Prometheus or the 'Observers' ship.

The shot of the alien queen looks to be a statue of it aswell, so hopefully it's a hint to some viewing of her somewhere in the film.

If they do have any of the Aliens in there, then I hope they don't go the way of AVP with the shite CGI ones and instead, bring back the xenomorph suits! ;D

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:17 am »
if theres any xenomorphs in it they will be an end reveal id guess... because in the 45 or so minutes ive seen theres no hint of them. theres some other creatures but ive seen nothing resembling the traditional 'alien'

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:08 am »
I was under the impression that there were no aliens in it (xenomorphs).
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2012, 10:19:13 am »
Kinda hope those are the only 2 trailers they do, although they'll probably have one, maybe two more before June. A lot of trailers nowadays seem to try and tell you the entire story of the movie rather than just give you a taste. Besides, does a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie really need any promotion work or marketing?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:08 am »
if theres any xenomorphs in it they will be an end reveal id guess... because in the 45 or so minutes ive seen theres no hint of them. theres some other creatures but ive seen nothing resembling the traditional 'alien'

I love how you dropped that in there, casually.  :D This film looks simply gorgeous, I'm hoping to stay away from speculation. Hoping to see the movie in May sometime. Would love to hear what Ridley Scott has to say about it, as I have not had the chance to see him in a press conference yet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:02:09 pm by lionel_messias »

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »
Blade Runner - Greatest Sci-Fi movie ever made. Let's hope Scott can get somewhere close in terms of overall quality... big ask.
Worth remembering as well that Bladerunner was a massive epic flop at the cinema. I watched it again last night with a more critical eye and if you want there are massive problems with Bladerunner in terms of story, it shows you can do it with just about any film if you want to.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »
I was under the impression that there were no aliens in it (xenomorphs).

There is this from the trailer though...

Not conclusive of course (looks like it could be a fossil?) but it defo looks like a Xeno. And there are Facehuggers in this which usually lead to Xeno's...

Also, dying to know what that thing is standing over Noomi Rapace at about 2:16 in the trailer
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #412 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:16 pm »
At WonderCon Scott said he wants to make a sequel to this.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

Not conclusive of course (looks like it could be a fossil?) but it defo looks like a Xeno. And there are Facehuggers in this which usually lead to Xeno's...

Also, dying to know what that thing is standing over Noomi Rapace at about 2:16 in the trailer

I think it's the 'observer' standing over her, although I don't know how that could work since he's a giant in the originals, or atleast his skeleton is.

That picture is what I (looked like mistakenly) took for the Alien Queen :duh

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #414 on: March 19, 2012, 04:39:24 pm »
....judging by what's popular these days I'm not sure anybody gives too much of a fuck about story anymore.
Absolutely bang on mate.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #415 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »
really looking forward to this. not been to a cinema in years! wouldnt mind seeing it on the opening night in 3d. (not seen a movie at the cinemas in 3d since freddy's dead some 20 years ago) whats the experience in 3d like? i imagine i'd have to book tickets in advance?
I would so, yeah. 3D is better now, but I still find it thoroughly distracting for at least the first 15 minutes of any film.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #416 on: March 19, 2012, 05:40:50 pm »
Sweet Jesues, just watched the full trailer.....June 8th seems like YEARS away!!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »

Definitely looks like a fossil or an elaborate carving, which could be one of the nods to the Alien film we were promised. Ill be over the moon if there are Xenos in it, but im not expecting any. If we get something similar (early facehuggers) or the like I will be happy.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: March 19, 2012, 05:56:55 pm »

how have you managed to see it  :o was it a good 45 mins?

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:36 am »
Worth remembering as well that Bladerunner was a massive epic flop at the cinema. I watched it again last night with a more critical eye and if you want there are massive problems with Bladerunner in terms of story, it shows you can do it with just about any film if you want to.

Just as an aside, Mouth, for whatever reason, I see your avatar (Daniel Craig), think of Noomi Rapace in this movie, and somehow convince myself I saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with the two of them in it. LOL!

On topic, you can register with https://www.weylandindustries.com which I'm sure will eek out more and more information the closer we get to June.

(Edited to correct URL code.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:19:57 am by coolbyrne »
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #420 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:06 am »
Just as an aside, Mouth, for whatever reason, I see your avatar (Daniel Craig), think of Noomi Rapace in this movie, and somehow convince myself I saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with the two of them in it. LOL!
I know what you mean I've seen both versions as well and its easy to get them mixed up in your head.

Oh an just in case not everyone has seen them you can get wayland yutani t-shirts and caps from lastexittonowhere.com, I wouldnt be surprised if they are told to stop selling them though once this film comes out.

http://www.lastexittonowhere.com/shop/product/weyland-yutani-corp/
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #421 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:28 am »

The reason it was a flop is because the studio released the cut down version with the cheesy voice over. I think everyone these days acknowledges that the Director's cut is the only version worth watching...
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #422 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:49 am »
The reason it was a flop is because the studio released the cut down version with the cheesy voice over. I think everyone these days acknowledges that the Director's cut is the only version worth watching...
I dont think so, not really, they did test screenings without the voice over and the audience didnt get it, the film makers didnt get it and they made it. Not the place for this though, so I'll leave off :D there is a BR thread if you want to dig it up. It was the final cut that I watched last night btw. Oh and it was also a flop because it got no publicity and didnt get put into enough theatres and so vanished without a trace, the studio basically killed it.

My point in saying so though was that even though this film might be a flop or maybe not work on first viewing, it might well go on to become a classic like Bladerunner, which at the time people did watch and ask what the fuck it meant, with each version those questions got larger and larger. Which is a theory, I agree with, that the likes of Terry Gilliam say is actually the mark of a great film really.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:00:21 am by Mouth »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #423 on: March 20, 2012, 03:52:25 am »

Does that thing have a cock and balls going on?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #424 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:58 am »
how have you managed to see it  :o was it a good 45 mins?

im working on it :) its disjointed bits and pieces of the film and mostly action set pieces so ive no real idea about plot and that but everything i've seen looks great.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »
im working on it :) its disjointed bits and pieces of the film and mostly action set pieces so ive no real idea about plot and that but everything i've seen looks great.

You're our stereographer friend, aren't you?

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #426 on: March 20, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »
no i do visual fx

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #427 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:51 pm »
no i do visual fx
Is it difficult to watch the end product when you have done work on it? Can you get into it the same way?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #428 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
I dont think so, not really, they did test screenings without the voice over and the audience didnt get it, the film makers didnt get it and they made it. Not the place for this though, so I'll leave off :D there is a BR thread if you want to dig it up. It was the final cut that I watched last night btw. Oh and it was also a flop because it got no publicity and didnt get put into enough theatres and so vanished without a trace, the studio basically killed it.

My point in saying so though was that even though this film might be a flop or maybe not work on first viewing, it might well go on to become a classic like Bladerunner, which at the time people did watch and ask what the fuck it meant, with each version those questions got larger and larger. Which is a theory, I agree with, that the likes of Terry Gilliam say is actually the mark of a great film really.
Heaven's Gate.Cost $44 million,made less than $4 million,critically slaughtered,said to have killed a studio.Now rightly acclaimed as the classic it is.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #429 on: March 20, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »
Not often I'm this excited about a film. June. Years away :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #430 on: March 20, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »
Not often I'm this excited about a film. June. Years away :(
I have'nt been to the cinema in year's,but I'll be going to see this.Probably more than once.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:38 pm »
no i do visual fx
What sort? CGI stuff, or another kind?

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #432 on: March 20, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »
What sort? CGI stuff, or another kind?

yeah CGI. special fx is the real stuff...explosions etc. visual fx is computer based

it does generally kill excitement for films but this is the first one in years ive worked on id still actually pay to see.... put it that way :)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #433 on: March 20, 2012, 08:51:13 pm »
yeah CGI. special fx is the real stuff...explosions etc. visual fx is computer based

it does generally kill excitement for films but this is the first one in years ive worked on id still actually pay to see.... put it that way :)
So your work on Ridley Scott's third science fiction film, after the masterpieces Alien and Blade Runner, will be seen by billions all over the world? And your name will be up there among the end credits?!? And if it turns out to be utterly awesome, you can dine out on it forever, and point up at the screen and say, "that's the bit I made"?!?!?

You do realise we all hate you now ;)
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #434 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:11 pm »
So your work on Ridley Scott's third science fiction film, after the masterpieces Alien and Blade Runner, will be seen by billions all over the world? And your name will be up there among the end credits?!? And if it turns out to be utterly awesome, you can dine out on it forever, and point up at the screen and say, "that's the bit I made"?!?!?

Speak for yourself, I now love him and want to be his bestest ever friend.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #435 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
Is it difficult to watch the end product when you have done work on it? Can you get into it the same way?
Thats a boss question mate.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #436 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »
Empire doing a cracking 61 page, scene by scene guide to the latest trailer if anyone hasn't seen it yet...really shows how much you miss just watching it once!
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #437 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

I leant after Sunshine..... Thinking it would be up there with 2001 and Solaris. Didn't exactly turn out that way :P

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #438 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:01 am »
Empire doing a cracking 61 page, scene by scene guide to the latest trailer if anyone hasn't seen it yet...really shows how much you miss just watching it once!

Great cover coming up, too.

Too bad about the shitty Lethal Weapon blurb right in the way.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/131
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #439 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:33 am »
Lethal Weapon?? Desperate much Mel? Last time he was mad, bad & dangerous to know, his body was a..... Lethal Weapon! Now he is back, this time his leathal weapon is his zimmer frame!