Author Topic: Festive Spyin' Kop - Wolves Home  (Read 11738 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Festive Spyin' Kop - Wolves Home
« on: December 25, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »
Meant to get this posted sooner, rather than on the eve of the game but for various reasons that proved
problematic. It's a long read but hopefully an enjoyable and entertaining one and let's face it, it's Christmas Day, you've got sod all else to do!  :wave

Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Anfield, Saturday December 26th 2009 17:30pm

Not content with having one of the longest club names in english football this pack (clever eh) have also won a couple of things in their history......

Honours:
League

First Division/Premier League

* Champions: 1953–54, 1957–58, 1958–59
    * Runners-up: 1937–38, 1938–39, 1949–50, 1954–55, 1959–60

Second Division/Championship

* Champions: 1931–32, 1976–77, 2008–09
    * Runners-up: 1966–67, 1982–83
    * Play-off winners: 2003

Third Division (North)/Third Division

* Champions: 1923–24, 1988–89

Fourth Division

* Champions: 1987–88

UEFA Cup

* Runners-up: 1972

FA Cup

* Winners: 1893, 1908, 1949, 1960
    * Runners-up: 1889, 1896, 1921, 1939

Football League Cup

* Winners: 1974, 1980

FA Charity Shield

* Winners: 1949*, 1954*, 1959, 1960* (* joint holders)
    * Runners-up: 1958

Football League Trophy

* Winners: 1988

Notable former players: Billy Wright, Derek Parkin, Steve Bull, er Robbie Keane

Club records

* Attendance: 61,315 — Liverpool (FA Cup Fifth Round, 11 February 1939)
    * Gate receipts: £525,000 — West Bromwich Albion (Championship play-off semi-final, 13 May 2007)
    * Best league win: 10-1 — Leicester City (Division 2, 15 April 1938)
    * Worst league loss: 1-10 — Newton Heath (Division 1, 15 October 1892)
    * Best cup win: 14-0 — Cresswell's Brewery (FA Cup Second Round, 13 November 1886)
    * International appearances: 105 caps — Billy Wright (England, 1946–59)
    * League appearances: 501 — Derek Parkin (1967–82)
    * League goals: 250 — Steve Bull (1986–99)
    * League goals in a season: 38 — Dennis Westcott (Division 1, 1946–47)
    * Best pie - 1965

Oh and they're owned by a scouser, some Morgan fella apparently, has a few quid like.

Oh what a merry christmas for all Reds, 8th in the table, yes that's eighth, the one after seventh, out of the European Cup,
seven league defeats and a defence with seemingly more holes in it than a game of connect 4.
Yes it's been a season to forget but it's not over yet, we must endure another twenty league games before this season is put behind us but here's a thought, and perhaps a new year's resolution in the making for all Reds, how about we do what we do best and get behind the manager and his players and stop moaning about our predicament and see if we can actually salvage a trophy or two or at least CL qualification, the be all and end all it seems.
Arsenal should have been a turning point, instead it was a turnover, we've become a shadow of our former selves and need to reawake the club and play our way back into some kind of consistent form.
The visit of Wolves tomorrow should be, with due respect to them, a definite three points,(come on Santa) but as we all know the way we've been performing that's about as definite as Mick McCarthy fielding a full strength team when playing the mancs.
Anyways, one game at a time and so on...

In the time honoured tradition of Spyin' Kop, I opened my laptop and took a cyber trip down to Molineux Mix (http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk) and talked to strangers on the internet about their football team.
This week's victims are the followers of that wonderful yellow / bronzey midlands outfit the Wolverhampton Wanderers or Wolves to their mates....

Question:

So how has your season been shaping up so far? Happy?

Mikic:
Very happy with 12th as things stand but it is still very tight - home form moving forward is key to staying up

willenhallwolf:  Yes, very pleased with 12th at Christmas, so far that not many fans i've spoke to aren't worried about going to Anfield Saturday. In fact, a fair few think we may get something.

Moira Stewart: Up until 3 weeks ago, no, but 3 wins in 4 has turned our season around, in terms of the teams we have played at home and away I still think we're about 3 points light of where we should be but at least we're in with a fighting chance after looking dead and buried less than a month ago.

Toon Wolf: So far so good. If you'd have told me in August we'd be 12th at Christmas I'd have laughed in your face.

Sheriff Woody: Relatively pleased. Victories away at Wigan & Tottenham highlighted that on our day we can compete and we're no pushovers. Home form a little sketchy, dropped points against teams we're capable of beating in Hull, Portsmouth and Birmingham

Pessimistic Wolf: Rather well, I think. We've had a few disappointments and weak results. Hull, pompey and brum at home, Blackburn away, all games we should have won, but we've found some decent form and have no major injuries jeopardizing our results. 12th at Christmas is fantastic, so I can't complain too much.

What are you expectations for this season now we've reached halfway? Have they changed from day one?

SalisburyWolf: No change really - survival is the key, so anything from 17th up will have been a good season for me. I think we need to strengthen in January to take a bit of pressure off the boys. If we were to lose Doyle and Henry through injury we'd probably be in a bit of trouble.

Welsh Y'am Y'am: No change - I'll take 4th bottom now, just as i would have day one

Law's Bus:
No. I didn't have any expectations this season, just hopes - and that was for mid-table mediocrity. We've fallen short of expectations for so many years that I just don't bother with them any more!

Adrian Monk:
Any realistic supporters' primary objective this season is avoid relegation and show some spirit and pride for the shirt. This remains imperative if the club is to build for next season. Any improvement on that come May could see our impatient fanbase raise expectations, because for the foreseeable future, as much as we'd rather it not be the case, clubs that have left behind the championship after a long time in it, tend to spend the next few seasons either fighting to stay out of it, or hurtling back there.

Sheriff Woody: No, survival has been the hope all season. Survival is the foundations that this club can build on.

Who do you think has been your most important players?

Mikic: Doyle, Milijas, Craddock
willenhallwolf: Karl Henry, Kevin Doyle and Jody Craddock.

NorthWestWanderer: Take your pick from Craddock, Henry, Berra and Dolye. Doyle is a class above a truly top player.

Moira Stewart: Doyle up front has been massive for us, only 5 goals but his all round performances have been excellent. Craddock has been a revelation also at the back, he couldn't get in our side for much of last season so fair play to him for rising up and playing so well this season

Sheriff Woody:
Without wanting to get into the McCarthy debate I think when you have a small squad like ours all the players are important. So far this season though Doyle, Stephen Ward our left-back (converted from a striker), Karl Henry have done well. Craddock has also weighed in with some goals and his experience is important to a young side.
Adrian Monk: Our return to form has coincided with the return from injury of Stephen Ward. Our striker-cum-left back has a cultured left foot and produces dangerous crosses from deep, as well as being able to overlap effectively with a good partnership with winger Matt Jarvis. His attitude and desire to learn has seen a huge improvement in his positional play since his conversion against Forest last Autumn, and he is now an integral part of our side. Craddock and Berra, our centre halves, have done a surprisingly admirable job, but most crucial to our play are Kevin Doyle and Nenad Milijas. Milijas is dangerous from dead ball situations and many of our recent goals have come through him. Doyle's tireless working of the channels and ability to hold the ball in wide areas as well as his knack of finding the net will be critical for the remainder of the campaign

And your worst / most disappointing performers:

Pessimistic Wolf: George Elokobi and Greg Halford, methinks. Elokobi is still very a much a Championship player, as is Halford.

Welsh Y'am Y'am:
I think it's unfair to highlight individuals, but I think a big problem at the beginning of the season was not being able to pick a settled side and also I don't think McCarthy really knew which team to play.. we went into at least two games with a central midfield pairing of David Edwards and Karl Henry, which has a creativity level of zero and meant we gave up the midfield in those games. Edwards was actually quietly effective being played on the right of midfield before getting injured against Spurs. Whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say his injury is a blessing in disguise, I am rather glad we won't be seeing him central midfield for a while. Our right hand side is an area we need to strengthen - Michael Kightly is injured as often as he is fit (and I can't see us playing two out-and-out wingers at the same time this season, especially with Milijas in the centre as tackling is not his strongest attribute) and Greg Halford has proven himself to be a poorer footballer than Rory Delap, with a less effective long throw.

ice cream head: Halford, Elokobi

Still Proud: Halford and Majerhoffer

You've taken over from Mick for the day, what's your starting XI v Liverpool?

Welsh Y'am Y'am:I'd stick with the settled team that we have got at the moment to be honest. I wouldn't have picked this team at the beginning of the season, but things seem to be working okay, i just wish we wouldn't give up the central midfield whenever we have a lead to defend. As I've said above, our right side is a problem area, although I would probably continue with Kevin Foley (a right back, last season's player of the season, who says that he prefers playing central midfield) on the right of midfield. He helps out in the middle and can cross a ball, but we won't see him getting too far forward, allowing Jarvis (a natural winger) to attack more down the left

mikic: Hahnemann, Ward, Craddock, Berra, Stearman, Jarvis, Henry, Mancienne (man mark S G), Milijas, Doyle, SEB

SalisburyWolf: The team that started against Burnley. They are looking settled - now is not the time to start tinkering.

Pessimistic Wolf:I'd keep it the same. All due respect, but your there for the taking right now. You haven't been weaker in years, so there's no better time to grab a cheeky 3 points at Anfield.

North West Wanderer: Hahnemann, Stearman, Berra, Craddock, Ward, Henry, Mancienne, Jarvis, Foley, Milijas, Doyle

Do you have any favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

Pessimistic Wolf: Goodness me, chants from the Steve Bull Upper, are you mad? Nah, a chorus of Hi Ho Wolverhampton, pre-match is brilliant, since everyone gets into it.

mikic: My personal is "Hahnemann, du du du du du" at the mo (to the muppets theme tune thing - only started on sunday against Burnley as far as I know)

NorthWestWanderer
: I like the old favourites (Stevie Bull's a tatter/Wanderers Scarf etc) as most of the newer chants are rip offs as you'll hear! .......and

He's half a boy he's half a girl Torres Torres
He looks just like a transvestite Torres Torres
He wears a frock he loves the $$$$ he sells his $$$$ on Albert Dock
Fernando Torres, Carraghers bit on the side  (yes I know  :-X )

Moira Stewart:
Most of our chants are nicked off other clubs like the 'Ebanks Blake is Wanderers number 9' which Liverpool supporters sung about Torres. Our only really unique chant is 'Once upon a time there was a Tavern...' but not sure why we've made it our own.

Sheriff Woody: Ebanks-Blake is a wanderers number 9. I believe a small club in the north-west stole it for one of their lesser known players

Tors:
F!@# off West Brom!

Glasgowolf: Once upon time there was a tavern, those were the days , both iconic Wolves Terrace anthems.

Laws Bus:If you need them explaining, then you're clearly not paying attention. Either that, or you're listening to the Lower Gornal Supporters' Club, who all have that flat Black Country accent which is unintelligible to anyone born more than four miles away...

Birmingham or Aston Villa who do you see as your biggest rivals
or arch enemies in the PL this season?

willenhallwolf:
Blues - hate the scumbags, and some of their lot seem to enjoy hitting shirters..

Moira Stewart: Birmingham have for some years now been competing on the same level as us so I would see them as bigger rivals, Villa are an established Prem side and unless we can establish ourselves it will always be Blues although our true rivals will always be West Brown.

Toon Wolf:
Birmingham- vile, nasty little tinpot club.

Sheriff Woody:
Neither, they are Birmingham clubs and bare no relevance to Wolverhampton or the Black Country. Personally I have a fondness for disliking Stoke City and everything they represent, a place that makes Kensington in your own fair city seem like the Maldives.

ice cream head: There's a healthy respect between Wolves and Villa re history, potential size of support etc. Blues are a scummy little club supported by inbreds.

Adrian Monk: Birmingham. We feel a sense of kinship with Villa, as I guess we do with Liverpool, being the aristocrats of their city and looking down upon their poorer, less fashionable neighbours, as we do with West Brom.

Law's Bus:
Don't really care about either of them in that way. Neither of them are "arch enemies" or "rivals" really. I dislike Birmingham City as a club intensely, and have no real feelings about Villa.
Our real derby game this season as far as I'm concerned is the Staffordshire Derby against Stoke. At least they're in the same county as us unlike those heathens from across the Warwickshire border...

What do you make of the goings on at Anfield this season? What's your take on our decline in form this season?

Welsh Y'am Y'am: I think Benitez is on borrowed time, but the rumours I have heard is that your owners can't afford to sack him and pay off his contract... not sure how much there is to that. Your league form is down to average players all over the team and of course Rafa's tinkering. To have to play a left back at left wing just because the person playing left back can't be trusted in defence is not the makings of a team with aspirations of winning the title in my opinion. Selling Alonso was foolhardy, not playing Aquilani is bizarre and you can't expect Torres and Gerrard to do it all for you each and every game. Villa, Spurs and Man City will all push you hard this season - I've seen a marked improvement in Arsenal and Man Utd and Chelsea are bound to finish in the top 2.

Salisbury Wolf:
Odd this one. I had you down as top 4 going into the season but it looks like Rafa picks a really defensive team every week which has left you a bit short going forward. He must be feeling under immense pressure at the moment and if we nick a win off you tomorrow he could be in trouble. Imagine that, Wolves 5 points being Liverpool on Boxing Day - the stuff of dreams for Wolves fans

NWW: I'm from up that way so most of my mates support Liverpool. Its a huge reality check and proof in my eyes that winning the European Cup in 05 was probably the worst thing for you - Rafa has signed so many duds it makes Mark Hughes look good! Maybe now we'll see some changes as the goodwill recedes.

Moira Stewart:
Benitez doesn't seem to learn his lessons from previous seasons, Alonso was a bigger loss than most people thought and they don't seem to fancy his replacement Aquilani considering he has hardly played since returning from injury. I think Liverpool have always lacked decent wingers to break teams down at home, he's never really signed a world class winger.

Toon Wolf:
It's a farce and I think you'll struggle to make the Champions League. There are 5/6 teams better than you. Take out Torres and Gerrard and you're a mid-table side and given the money that Benitez has spent that is a scandal.

Jameswwfc:
You deserve better

Sheriff Woody
: Benitez seems to have lost the plot and seems to be more interested in what Man United are doing. After you came so close to the title last year it's surprising that you have failed to build on it and not had the financial support. Not replacing Alonso with anything other than an injury prone Italian was a shocking decision as is your over reliance on Stevie G and Torres.On the bonus side seeing clubs of Liverpools stature struggling financially gives the smaller clubs hope of the premier league becoming a more level playing field.

StillProud: Rafa's lost it and it's a real shame want Liverpool to make a real challenge - got to get rid of the Yanks but hands off Morgan if you do

Adrian Monk: Astonishing. For such a great club to have been treated so negligently by your owners is a startling demonstration of the threat posed by indifferent foreign ownership. I have been one of Mick McCarthy's biggest defenders over the course of his reign and have taken heart at the Liverpool fans' consistent defence of Rafa Benitez. I felt Rafa built a good team and was tactically very astute and deserving of the fans adulation, but lately it appears he has lost the plot and once managers lose momentum it is very difficult to regain it. I think if the owners could afford it, Rafa would be gone.

Which Liverpool player(s) do you fear the most:

Moira Stewart: I bet you get the same answer on this every week! Gerrard and Torres are Liverpools only genuinely world class players in my opinion although I think Glen Johnson has had a good season and Benayoun.

Toon Wolf:
Lucas and Aurelio... just kidding, the answer is obvious, though Benayoun is also your other class player.

Sheriff Woody: Apart from the obvious two who on their day are as good as anybody in the world. Kuyt is always likely to grab a goal or two and Benayoun is good little player.

StillProud: Torres without a doubt - he's world class

AdrianMonk
: Torres, Gerrard and Reina.

Law's Bus: David Fairclough coming off the bench. Or maybe Steven Gerrard.

WelshYam:
Torres - his speed and movement and eye for goal can be devastating

There was some controversy over McCarthy's team selection for the trip to Old Trafford. How did you feel about him fielding a lesser side for that game?

Salisbury Wolf:
If you had been here after the game... What a crock of $$$$. Mick is paid to manage the team and that's what he did. Good decision in my book, it paid off. The season is about 38 games, not just those against the glory teams. Admitedly, I didn't pay the money to go to Old Trafford, but nevertheless, you have to look at the long-term picture.. If we'd played the team we did against Burnley at OT then we might have struggled last weekend and now be sitting in 18th...

mikic: Travelled away to Old Trafford and was very angry with the selection and his subsequent reaction by MM, but enough has been said about that in the media and on here - onwards on upwards. 19 points doesn't lie

willenhallwolf:
Disgrace.

Moira Stewart:
I was disgusted at the time, he will feel vindicated by the fact we beat Burnley but we could have had a go at Man Utd and still expected to beat Burnley with one point away from home all season at home. After the uproar I don't fancy he'll do it again.

Toon Wolf: The fans who went have every right to feel aggrieved after they'd spent a lot of money on tickets etc. However, in footballing terms, in survival terms, it was absolutely the right thing to do. There are Wolves fans who still don't trust McCarthy to make the right decisions, and they are a loud, vocal minority. The fans who can look at the bigger picture can see that McCarthy has got almost every decision he's made since becoming manager correct.

Still Proud: Gutted at first - thought it showeed disrespect all round though the nerve of Wenger to criticise got me back on side - so did the Burnley result - all behind us now

Adrian Monk: The guy got us promoted and we're 12th at Christmas in the Premier League. He has consistently proved the critics wrong, and Wolves fans pointing to his poor record with Sunderland in the PL should pay more attention to the fact he took a team that didn't belong there with little backing into a no-win situation and that expectations of anything other than what they actually achieved were hugely unfair. He is entitled to pick whatever team he sees fit, and out of the blocks against Burnley we looked fitter and more determined, and won the game with the players that looked dead on their feet after we beat Spurs. I can understand fans moaning about it but I don't agree with the idiots that called trading standards. For me, you pay the money to support your team, regardless of who is wearing the shirt. Only supporting if you get entertainment/results/your team selection isn't support, it's stakeholding.

Welsh YY: I was furious on the night, I've got over it now, but I don't think the score against Burnley vindicates the decision because I think the decision makes a mockery of this league. I'm glad it paid off, but I'm not proud of the decision at all.

Come end of May where do you think our respective teams are going to finish in the league?

PessimisticWolf: Wolves; 16th. Liverpool; 5th.

Salisbury Wolf:
Liverpool 8th and Wolves 15th.

mikic: Wolves - 16th, Liverpool - 7th

willenhallwolf: Us- 17th, and you - 4th

Moira Stewart: Liverpool will improve but may have too much catching up to do on the top 4, so I'll say 5th. If we sign the right players in January we can make a good fist of staying in this division so I'll go for 17th.

Jameswwfc:
15th and 6th

Sheriff Woody:  On current form I'd predict us to finish above Liverpool! Realistically 17th for us would be fine and unless you put in a spectacular run of results I'll say 5th or 6th.

Adrian Monk:
Liverpool 4th, Wolves 16th.

Do you have a particular memory (good or bad) of any previous meetings between our clubs?

Welsh YY: Not really, I only remember the home game v Liverpool in the 2003/04 season when we drew 1-1, kenny miller scoring with his left foot from the tightest of angles. As a child of the 80s, wolves and liverpool were never in the same division during my life. All my mates at my shropshire school were liverpool or man utd "fans", though, which meant I hated both equally.

Wufhere:
I was at the mach in 76 I also remember the last game of the season in 65 when already relegated we lost 3-0 to Liverpool reserves as they were playing Leeds in the Cup final the following week. Before my time but Liverpool beat us in 1947 in the last match of the season to stop us winning the League. Stange game where Cullis announced his retirement before the match and refused to bring down Stubbins for the Liverpool winner. I was not at the match but I think we beat Liverpool in QF of the LC in 74 when we went on to win it. I think it was played on a Wednesday afternoon during the power strikes and the three day week.

Glasgowwolf: Good:
Losing to give you the title with a ground full of scousers despite leading 1 - 0.
Beating you at Anfield thanks to Steve Mardenbrough.
Beating you 4 at Molineux with Hughes scoring
Bad : Dissapointing a late Hansen goal to equalise at Molineux after a geoff Palmer pen had given us the lead.

Tors: Night game away, late 70's, Filth would not let us into the ground untill after the KO, then put us in the bottom of the stand behind the goal, with the red $$$$e behind us seperated by 2 rows or pigs with sticks. We got pelted with pies and I turned round to throw one back and WHAM!!, 2 coppers smacked me, but did'nt kick me out.

doog:
As a 14year old, I remember the stench of beer wafting around the Anfield road end one Tuesday night in 1971, Wolves lost that game. Although he did not play that night, a young Kevin Keegan had just made his impressive Liverpool debut against Forrest 3 days earlier.

ice cream head:
I only remember the last time we played (1-1 and 1-0) but I do have a dad who likes to chat Wolves with me and he was a regular during the 60's/70's and 80's. I don't remember the exact year but we played you on the last day of the season at Molineux sometime during the 70's and it was a game that meant alot to both teams. Wolves needed a win to stay up and Liverpool needed a win to win the league. Molineux was packed by the time my dad had got to the ground (about 6pm for a 7:30 KO) with sold out signs on the north bank and the south bank had a queue that reached the end of the subway, so they (my dad and his mates) decided to park up outside the feathers pub, sit on the benches outside and listen to the car radio. As you probably know, Liverpool won the match (2-1 I think). Anyway, after the match had ended, a chap came over to where they were sitting with a tray of drinks. He was a Liverpool fan who just said hard luck lads, hope you come straight back up. I thought this was a nice touch.

StillProud: Yeah, 4 -1 in the early 80s followed by Emlyn Hughes This is Your life - oh and going to the Hawthorns with some Reds and standing in the Home end with them - as they wer being thrown out and led to the away end, Plod asked me if I was a Liverpool fan, to which I responded "No Wolves, of course" much to his and the locals bemusement

willenhallwolf: Bad: You scoring last minute with a Hypia header at Anfield.
Good: Kenny Miller getting a last minute equaliser in the home fixture.

SalisburyWolf:
Not between our clubs, but I do have a great memory of being on The Kop back in the early 80's with some scouse mates when you beat Coventry 4-0. The good old days of terracing!

Finally, gazing into your crystal ball what do you see the final score being?

mikic: 1-1

willenhallwolf:
1-2 Wolves last minute winner!

NorthWW: Heart says a draw, head says a home win 2-0.

MoiraStewart:
It's a massive game for Liverpool whereas we'll see anything as a bonus if we get anything so I expect Liverpool will run out comfortable winners, 2-0.

StillProud: 1-0 to Wolves a repeat of Steve Mardenborourgh's winner from the 80's by Sylvain Ebanks-Blake

icecreamhead
: 3-2 Liverpool

Adrian Monk: Liverpool 2 Wolves 1

glasgowwolf: Win 1 -0 to Wolves

Law's Bus:
Surely we can't win again, so it'll be a home win - probably 2 or 3 nil.

WelshYamYam:
Liverpool to win by two goals

Thanks to all the Wolves fans who participated.  Happy Christmas everybody :wave
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:17:06 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
Re: Festive Spyin' Kop - Wolves Home
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 02:33:46 pm »
I just laughed at that:

He's half a boy he's half a girl Torres Torres
He looks just like a transvestite Torres Torres
He wears a frock he loves the $$$$ he sells his $$$$ on Albert Dock
Fernando Torres, Carraghers bit on the side  (yes I know   )

:lmao

Good stuff Phil
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:44:12 pm »
Nice work Phil.  Even Wolves fancy a point off us!
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:02:28 pm »
Nice work Phil.  Even Wolves fancy a point off us!

Ta mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline kopite_sg8

• Anny Roader
  • year-zero, clean slate blah blah blah ..
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 03:39:05 pm »
nice read as usual .... bring on the game and lets give them a .. em .....mmmmn ... thra ..em....shing
somewhere between a 'fsg-apologist' and a 'superfan'.

Offline ArdaTuran

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Please sign me Rafa.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »
some really knowledgeable wolves fans. thanks for the read.

but i sincerely hope we will thrash them.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 05:01:42 pm »
Pleasant change getting the views of other fans that don't despise us. Refreshing. Cheers Phil.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline vintage74

• Anny Roader
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:20:17 pm »
great read, here's hoping we get a solid three point performance.  Come on lads.
With everything thats going on, its bolted on that were getting "Old Whiskey Nose" and his has beens at Anfield.
Because the FA are gagging for the Fans to kick off live on TV in front of the world so they can ban us for something!

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »
Ice Cream Head, What a username :lmao

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 06:37:53 pm »
I thought they sounded shit. Every response identical. Wolverhampton Wanderers, an archetypal soccer am club.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 06:40:41 pm »
Shite responses. Might as well have asked Merson and Nicholas what they thought about Rafa. Straight from SSN mouths...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
Shite responses. Might as well have asked Merson and Nicholas what they thought about Rafa. Straight from SSN mouths...

You really won't find many good opinions of us or the manager. Best not to give a shit, albeit we are doing our best to live up to peoples opinions at the mo.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:02:37 pm by killer_heels »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »
Nice one Phil. We're gonna shaft these tomorrow...
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »

yup - its amazing how much influence those two nitwits and similar other morons have on people who like to repeat their shite because they think it make them 'knowledgeable'

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 07:11:48 pm »
Ice Cream Head, What a username :lmao

Didn't know Douglas Hurd was a Wolves fan..
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »
Good stuff Phil, it must take a lot of effort. I was interested in the reactions about the MU game. Yes, MM has to think about up & coming games and have a season long strategy but rewind 12 months when he's motivating the team before a game his message would be something like 'get out there and win if you want promotion and to be playing in europes top stadiums', but then when the opportunity arises your sitting on the bench. That would be fuckin hard to swallow.

Edit: I used to play for Sudley Road school and our kit was the Wolves kit - I use to love it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:26:40 pm by John C »

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »
Didn't know Douglas Hurd was a Wolves fan..

;D

Offline watyeonaboot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »

Why shouldn't they say 6 or 7 teams are better than us at the moment? We are utterly abysmal, and I'd probably go so far to say there are even more than that at this present time.

We can talk about injuries, confidence all we like but that's just rationalising just how shit we've been.

As for anyone slagging off Rafa fuck off and support Chelsea you horrible c*nts

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 07:52:28 pm »
Well in Phil

Wolvesfans kindly fuck off.
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline Kingcarra21

• Main Stander
  • I just dont like people.
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 07:55:11 pm »
Good spyin Kop.

Torres may be a trannie but I fancy a hat-trick tomorrow.:)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »
Welsh Y'am Y'am: I think Benitez is on borrowed time, but the rumours I have heard is that your owners can't afford to sack him and pay off his contract... not sure how much there is to that. Your league form is down to average players all over the team and of course Rafa's tinkering. To have to play a left back at left wing just because the person playing left back can't be trusted in defence is not the makings of a team with aspirations of winning the title in my opinion. Selling Alonso was foolhardy, not playing Aquilani is bizarre and you can't expect Torres and Gerrard to do it all for you each and every game. Villa, Spurs and Man City will all push you hard this season - I've seen a marked improvement in Arsenal and Man Utd and Chelsea are bound to finish in the top 2.
The above statement made me chuckle... what spoonfed bollocks... the rumours I've heard... yeah ok you read the paper you nonce

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 08:05:48 pm »

The responses were utterly laughable.

"Your league form is down to average players all over the team and of course Rafa's tinkering"

With the exception of injuries/suspensions/some domestic cup matches, I don't see Rafa tinkering a whole lot.  Was he "tinkering" when we pissed all over teams second half of last season?  If Rafa rests players, it helps them stay fresh anyway.  I guess Martin O'Neill's policy of the same starting 11 worked brilliantly second half of last season.

"Selling Alonso was foolhardy"

Right.  It's not as though he wanted to leave or anything.

"Rafa has signed so many duds it makes Mark Hughes look good!"

:lmao  Wow.  Just wow.  Because he's only signed duds, right?  This is still Houllier's team, right?  Reina, Benayoun, Mascherano, Torres, Riera, Agger, Skrtel, Aurelio, etc.  All at very good and valuable prices.   Yes, sack Rafa!

"Benitez doesn't seem to learn his lessons from previous seasons"

What lessons?  The ones taught by Sky Sports?  The ones suggested by people that haven't had any success as manager?

"Benitez seems to have lost the plot and seems to be more interested in what Man United are doing."

What have I missed?  Rafa's more interested in what Man United are doing?

"Take out Torres and Gerrard and you're a mid-table side and given the money that Benitez has spent that is a scandal."

Being outspent by Birmingham this summer, weren't we?  6th in net spending since Rafa took over?  He took over a side nowhere near the top of the league, and has been given little to work with.  A scandal?  Yes, the ownership of the club is a scandal.

"Rafa picks a really defensive team every week which has left you a bit short going forward."

Ah yes.  The "Rafa is defensive" myth.  119 goals two seasons ago and top scorers in the league last year.  Leading scorers in the league this year before serious injury problems.  Negative, isn't he, Rafa?  As we all know, it's the lack of goals that's hurting us, not defensive issues or anything.

This is just awful.  If you're going to make arguments against Rafa, at least know what you're talking about.  If you're not sure about Rafa, don't make negative remarks then.  They listen to the typical media crap.  I don't understand why so many football fans believe Sky Sports/Setanta/Espn pundits over an established manager like Rafa.  What credentials do these pundits have?  Yet fans just lap it up.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the anti-Rafa sentiment was too high for me to ignore.  And to think, Real Madrid have tried to get Rafa 3 times.  Apparently, his tactics, policies, and transfer dealings aren't good enough for Wolves.

Plenty of people here have had issues with Rafa, but many point out specific arguments and issues that into good, thoughtful debate.

Anyway, let's all enjoy the holidays, eh?

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays everyone!  :wave
King Kenny.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
Well in Phil.

Spyin' Kop is always appreciated.

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »
Yea you've got to laugh when they all cut and paste from SSN saying that Rafa has signed duds and mediocre players. Then in the vey next question when they feel they can't give the obvious Gerrard and Torres answer and have to think a little for themselves about our best players, they come out with Benny, Dirk, Johnson and Reina. Idiots.

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »
Hey Skipper757

I agree with some of what you write, but Rafa has played a defensive side this season. Last season was good on that part, but this season no.

"Ah yes.  The "Rafa is defensive" myth.  119 goals two seasons ago and top scorers in the league last year.  Leading scorers in the league this year before serious injury problems.  Negative, isn't he, Rafa?  As we all know, it's the lack of goals that's hurting us, not defensive issues or anything."

We are both making defensive errors and playing poor attacking football this season. For instance, set pieces has been a real issue that has hurt us. We have also had some individual mistakes at the back. And fact is that Rafa has picked Aurelio or Dossena for the left midfield postition too many times, but that might be down to the fact that Riera has been out injured a lot though. But having Aurelio, Lucas, Masch and Kuyt is a defensive line up to be honest, you can argue that Kuyt is a striker but he is more of and defensive asset than a attacking one IMHO.

IMHO you have to excuse some of the people who say that we have spent money, from the outside it looks like it. If i hadn't been on RAWK, and if i hadn't read some of the pieces Tomkins have written i wouldn't have know we've spent as little as we have. If you look at the facts most of the media puts out there, it doesn't look good. But when you look at the big picture you see that Rafa actually has done quite well. Even some Liverpool fans don't know the facts about what we've really spent and so on, so it would be even harder for a Wolves fan I'd presume.

Rafa has bought a lot of duds, but he has also bought some class players. Buying Reina and Alonso for about 16 million is just brilliant, both real class players. But he spent about the same on Babel and Dossena, and they haven't lived up to the expectations. Every manager has both their hits and misses, but Rafa hasn't really lost that much money on anyone he has bought. Buying cheaper players is a bigger risk than buying proven quality, which Rafa can't afford. Benayoun, Arbeloa and Aurelio has turned out great, while Pennant, Degen and Voronin not so much. But would the latter ever have been signed if he had more support in the transfer market?

I agree that some of their answers where poor, and too against Rafa. But i think you are a little to pro Rafa in your response, but anyways nice to see that there still are fans who support our manager.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »
Hey Skipper757

I agree with some of what you write, but Rafa has played a defensive side this season. Last season was good on that part, but this season no.

"Ah yes.  The "Rafa is defensive" myth.  119 goals two seasons ago and top scorers in the league last year.  Leading scorers in the league this year before serious injury problems.  Negative, isn't he, Rafa?  As we all know, it's the lack of goals that's hurting us, not defensive issues or anything."

We are both making defensive errors and playing poor attacking football this season. For instance, set pieces has been a real issue that has hurt us. We have also had some individual mistakes at the back. And fact is that Rafa has picked Aurelio or Dossena for the left midfield postition too many times, but that might be down to the fact that Riera has been out injured a lot though. But having Aurelio, Lucas, Masch and Kuyt is a defensive line up to be honest, you can argue that Kuyt is a striker but he is more of and defensive asset than a attacking one IMHO.

IMHO you have to excuse some of the people who say that we have spent money, from the outside it looks like it. If i hadn't been on RAWK, and if i hadn't read some of the pieces Tomkins have written i wouldn't have know we've spent as little as we have. If you look at the facts most of the media puts out there, it doesn't look good. But when you look at the big picture you see that Rafa actually has done quite well. Even some Liverpool fans don't know the facts about what we've really spent and so on, so it would be even harder for a Wolves fan I'd presume.

Rafa has bought a lot of duds, but he has also bought some class players. Buying Reina and Alonso for about 16 million is just brilliant, both real class players. But he spent about the same on Babel and Dossena, and they haven't lived up to the expectations. Every manager has both their hits and misses, but Rafa hasn't really lost that much money on anyone he has bought. Buying cheaper players is a bigger risk than buying proven quality, which Rafa can't afford. Benayoun, Arbeloa and Aurelio has turned out great, while Pennant, Degen and Voronin not so much. But would the latter ever have been signed if he had more support in the transfer market?

I agree that some of their answers where poor, and too against Rafa. But i think you are a little to pro Rafa in your response, but anyways nice to see that there still are fans who support our manager.

It's a good analysis.  I was obviously a little biased  ;D.  But still, it annoys me that they fire criticisms at Rafa without really thinking it through.  They seemed pretty sure in their criticisms even though much of it was quite wrong.

I definitely agree that Rafa has made some mistakes in the transfer market and that his selections can be a little defensive.  Nevertheless, the Wolves fans' comments are just based on the usual media stuff.  Criticisms are fair game and I enjoy reading both sides of the story but it's got to be good criticism.  We can't expect supporters of other clubs to know our club inside out, but if they are going to comment on our manager, they should think some of it through, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong.  I mean, this is for the most part quite a good Spyin' Kop and Phil M did an outstanding job (as he does with the prediction league).  There were some funny comments (the Torres song for example), and it was interesting to get an insight into their thoughts about McCarthy and the club in whole.

The Wolves lot seemed ok except for the unfounded Rafa criticisms.  I guess I'm still surprised at some of the stick Rafa gets.  Yes, he made a mistake with Dossena, Babel, etc but he's transformed our squad quite nicely since he took over.  Give the man some credit at least.  They talk about his transfer record as if it was completely abysmal.  They can point out some failures but they simply just dismissed the man's dealings in the transfer market.

We definitely haven't been as attacking as years past but sometimes we don't have the players available to do so.  I remember in the 3-2 win against Wigan last year, Rafa threw on so many wide men at the end.  El Zhar, Riera, Pennant, Kuyt, and Benayoun I think were all on the pitch at the same time.  His hands have been tied in player availability this season and with some big defensive errors, you can't help but think Rafa's trying have cover for fullbacks because he doesn't want us to continuously concede.

Criticisms are fine but some of these are quite dubious.

Anyway, I need to cheer up and stop being a whiner.  It's Christmas!  :)
King Kenny.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2009, 01:33:59 pm »
Enjoyed that, Phil. Good work mate..

Offline R.A.La

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 01:45:39 pm »
Good read that. And about time someone used proper scaling for the crests.  ;D
those people were scared off by the distress chatter and the organised internet terrorism campaign that was directed against people involved.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »
Thanks folks, appreciated.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 10:15:22 pm »
Good one mate, well written and cheers
Yep.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 10:44:55 pm »
Good read Phil, interesting to see other fans opinions and I thought the Wolves lot where generally good. I think sometimes reading spion kops some people expect the opposition fans to bow down and acknowledge that they are wrong supporting their own club and should be Liverpool fans.

Is it suprising that their views on Benitez have Sky Sports written all over them, when many Liverpool fans parrot the same views. If you expect them to have the same views as us you miss the little gems like when one of them says, I admire Liverpool fans sticking by Benitez.

These lads have been watching Wolves the last few years, the're certainly not Glory hunting sky fodder..how many of our fans would folllow us if we were relegated. It would be interesting to see. Many of these lads remember 76, great times, I bunked off school, hitched down, one of the best days of my life. It's an insult to these lads to paint them as Soccer AM knobs probably got more in common with these lads than the camera flshing day tripping brigade that make up so much of the crowd today.

Best thing is we won today get in...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 10:51:45 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 01:17:44 am »
Do you have any favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

Moira Stewart:[/b][/color] Most of our chants are nicked off other clubs like the 'Ebanks Blake is Wanderers number 9' which Liverpool supporters sung about Torres. Our only really unique chant is 'Once upon a time there was a Tavern...' but not sure why we've made it our own.

Sheriff Woody: Ebanks-Blake is a wanderers number 9. I believe a small club in the north-west stole it for one of their lesser known players

Reckon clubs should have a listen to a litlle bit of when Johnny Comes Marching Home.

On the bus to villa park, haroo, haroo.......

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 01:39:09 am »

Great job Phil. :)

87:13

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »