Author Topic: What does our club stand for?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
Re: What does our club stand for?
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 09:42:15 pm »
There's a common phrase over a number of years.  Some would be excused for seeing it as an excuse for current failings.  Why not build on a 2nd place finish instead of building for the future?  It's rubbish really.  We had a bizarre and ultimately poor transfer window.  And so we pay the price.
Yeah, I feel the same way.

Offline nijartovino

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »
Liverpool is behaving like a small club,not like a club with 5 cl and many fans here are too kind with everyone.Now is becoming a club buying promising players,live that job to Ajax or other minor clubs in england.You are too focused in the old fashion ways,atmosphere and respect.Unfortunately we are in 2014,not in 1975.i think that Benitez was the last who understood that.If you want top players stop treating the club like an antique,maybe in that way you will get to attract some real talent.If a club doesnt work with a manager in 2 years probably eont do in 5,so why so many patience?the midfield is very poor,not enough to win titles.Gerrard was great,but 8 years ago,being a legend means that he can stay there until 40?.Sturridge is not good enough to win anything ann sterling is a kid,he needs some talent around or will demand a transfer in a couple of years.modern football is not chants and respect,is money+nike+china tv rights=trophies,sad but the pure reality

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:20 pm »
Sorry to disagree op, but that is one pathetic attempt to have a pop at Johnson, really is.

People trying to pick words out and assume thoughts and feelings from a few words post match, it's daily star reportage at it's best.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 10:42:30 pm »
Excuse my writing skills, as they would come no where close to the likes of E2K and PoP whom we  have become accustomed to.
But, having supported this club for 8 years now, it's obvious that we've got some of the best supporters in the world, some of the most intelligent ones. All the fans ever ask for from this team is that they give the club their all. Supporting this club is one hell of a rollercoaster which I'm sure all of us have enjoyed. From Istanbul, to nearly winning the league twice, to losing Torres and Suarez, the emotions have been raw and plenty.

This is an excerpt from Johnson's interview last night:
His statements indicate a sense of acceptance rather than disappointment. It seems that some of the players had accepted the result long before the match had even started. If our players are going to give up this easily, maybe they don't belong here. Maybe harsh, but that is just my view. I know some of you may be offended by what I have to say or even ridicule what my opinion counts for, but I'm going to say it anyway cause in my view it's the straightforward truth.

If a player has no pride in playing for this club, leave. If a player doesn't have the will to win, leave. If a player, will simply accept defeat and lie down, leave.

Bill Shankly once said
Johnson's statements bear no semblance to the words of Shankly, nor the identity of this club. This is Liverpool Football Club, have a little pride.

You've been supporting this club for 8 years. Lets see that'll be the season after Istanbul then. Who did you support before then, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal maybe. Sorry mate I can't take you seriously.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:05 am »
You've been supporting this club for 8 years. Lets see that'll be the season after Istanbul then. Who did you support before then, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal maybe. Sorry mate I can't take you seriously.
…and the season before a second Champions League Final. In other words, deciding to support potentially the best team in Europe.

The title of this thread is like the old conundrum about quantum mechanics: If you think you’ve understood it then you obviously haven’t. If you have to ask the question then you won’t understand the answer. The thread isn’t about club values. It’s about why the team isn’t winning as much as people had been led to expect.

The values this club used to be based on were the unique values of the city it called home. It may have been set up by businessmen but it attracted generations of people with a solid ethos of loyalty, generosity and passion. Before my first game I was just told three things: applaud the opposition goalkeeper, give credit where it’s due and never ever boo your own players. Nothing about winning.

It’s a city where fans of both clubs could drink together before a derby match, stand together without police segregation and go out again together afterwards. It employed managers who talked about “we”.

Admittedly, before Bosman, players were tied feudally to the club but it did at least allow us to pretend that they were loyal too. A surprising by-product of doing things the right way was that the club became successful.

The values of this club now are those of a bland international franchise. Some of the old DNA is left but it’s being overwhelmed and is rapidly turning into recessive genes. You just need a replica shirt as the passport to talk about “our” club and complain about its values.

If any other club finds a way of making more money it copies the tactics immediately. It appointed a manager who talked about “I” and “me”. “Managing Liverpool is the highlight of my career”. If any player has half a dozen decent games his agent will be agitating for a move. The new pragmatic fan deplores all this but shakes his head and says you just have to compete.

The problem with Liverpool FC is that it is chasing values it never stood for. It’s a fish out of water. It made a late decision to slither out of the primeval swamp, only to discover that a lot of its competitors had already made the move. It’s rolling around, gasping for air, while the rest of them have developed lungs, arms and legs. They’re scampering away into the distance, well on their way to evolving into dinosaurs.

But you know what happened to dinosaurs? One day something they never expected dropped out of the sky and wiped them out. It was the ones who stayed in the sea who survived.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:52 am »

Profit. Just like every other club in the Epl. See the London move recently. We are customers, and the important metric for the club is how much profit can be extracted from said customers. Football is secondary. 

The idea that players and staff join the club because of its stature is long gone. Same goes for every other club. It's about money. It's all about money.

The only league that actual cares about the fanbase is the Bundesliga, where fans actually have a say in how it's run. But the time is long gone for that to be applied here.

Pretty sad really.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 11:55:54 am »

I didn't watch football before that. I'm quite young. Liverpool is the first and only club I've ever supported.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:58:58 am by LFCDynamic »
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 11:58:20 am »
No where in this thread have I mentioned anything about losing the game to Madrid. It doesn't matter and is irrelevant. All i'm talking about is the attitude of the players, the loyalty, passion and pride in playing for the Mighty Reds.

But, everyone who perceives my post as some sort of anti-Liverpool post seems to just be criticizing how this is all about crying about not winning matches.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 11:58:57 am »
Depends what you define the club as?

For the owners/players, making maximum profit, for the fans success
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »
No where in this thread have I mentioned anything about losing the game to Madrid. It doesn't matter and is irrelevant. All i'm talking about is the attitude of the players, the loyalty, passion and pride in playing for the Mighty Reds.

But, everyone who perceives my post as some sort of anti-Liverpool post seems to just be criticizing how this is all about crying about not winning matches.

Mighty Red has got nothing to do with our club.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:57 pm »

The title of this thread is like the old conundrum about quantum mechanics: If you think you’ve understood it then you obviously haven’t. If you have to ask the question then you won’t understand the answer.

:lmao :lmao :lmao
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:58 pm »
 I agree with those that there was a sense that we just accepted that they were going to win and we couldn't compete. We were beaten before we even kicked a ball. Lets just remember that Real Madrid lost 4-2 a few weeks ago after being 2-0 up to a team far inferior to ourselves so this idea that they are so much better than us that we couldn't beat them is ridiculous.

We didn't lose to them because they are so much better than them. We lost to them because the defence was shocking and we showed them far too much respect. So to link this to the thread title, I always thought that one of the things this club stands for is to "Never give up".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:12:31 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »