Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 695616 times)

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool Defence
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:03 pm »
i disagree with carras analysis of that second goal. surely when lovren pushes out, skrtel, who can see him and moreno further up the pitch ahs to push out and take glen johnson with him??

for me that second goal is more skrtel and johnsons fault than lovrens (assuming the team is instructed to push out and squeeze the space)

Haven't seen the analysis, but for me that goal was also down to Coutinho leaving the space behind Lovren and Allen not tracking the runner. Moreno and Lovren both push up - that's fine. Since Skrtel and Johnson don't push out though, Coutinho should then wait until Moreno has the chance to come back in position. As soon as Coutinho stepped out, the space opened up for the City player, and Allen didn't follow him.

The worrying thing for me is that we have a half n' half defence. Lovren and Moreno are proactive, while the other two are very much reactive. Very obvious for the second goal, and until all four are on the same wavelength there's always a risk of these things happening.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:59 pm »
2012/2013:

Man United away: 2 goals conceded
City away: 2 goals conceded
Arsenal away: 2 goals conceded
Chelsea away: 1 goal conceded (Chelsea mediocre at this point)
Everton away: 2 goals conceded
Spurs away: 2 goals conceded

2013/2014:
Man United away: 0 goals conceded (Moyes era in full effect)
Chelsea away: 2 goals conceded
Everton away: 3 goals conceded
Spurs away: 0 goals conceded (Spurs shite during this period)

2014/2015:
City away: 3 goals conceded

There's been a ton of different defensive and goalkeeping combinations in that period. At some point Rodgers is going to have to sit down and figure a way to change how we play in these big away games. I shudder to think what would happen against the teams of Messi, Neymar and Suarez or Bale, Ronaldo and James
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2014, 11:18:37 pm »
2012/2013:

Man United away: 2 goals conceded
Chelsea away: 1 goal conceded (Chelsea mediocre at this point)
Everton away: 2 goals conceded
Spurs away: 2 goals conceded

2013/2014:
Man United away: 0 goals conceded (Moyes era in full effect)
Chelsea away: 2 goals conceded
Everton away: 3 goals conceded
Spurs away: 0 goals conceded (Spurs shite during this period)

2014/2015:
City away: 3 goals conceded

There's been a ton of different defensive and goalkeeping combinations in that period. At some point Rodgers is going to have to sit down and figure a way to change how we play in these big away games. I shudder to think what would happen against the teams of Messi, Neymar and Suarez or Bale, Ronaldo and James

That's awful.

Really do hope we don't bump into the elite teams in the CL group stage. Could get embarrassing with our amateur defending.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:24 pm »
We should focus more on defence this season or we're going nowhere fast.
No surprise that our attack won't be as potent without Luis, so we really need to do much better on the other side - however it may be done.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:00 pm »
We should focus more on defence this season or we're going nowhere fast.
No surprise that our attack won't be as potent without Luis, so we really need to do much better on the other side - however it may be done.

Agree with this. A lot of coaching is required none of them (glen aside) are bad players. In fact they are very good. But again for me Sakho has to play he's our best defender just needs a leader by his side
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:46 pm »
It's two games in. Playing away at the champions. The defense won't be instantly impenetrable. It's a harsh lesson but part of the process and people need to be patient. We don't have the luxury of bedding them in with games against burnley, Leicester, etc.

Once we have a steady, settled backline we should see an improvement.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:59 pm »
For my money the fault of goals so far:

Southampton 1 : Lucas primarily.
City 1: Moreno slow reactions and should have cleared.
City 2: Skrtel, basic failure to keep the defensive line,
City 3: Lovren, too much space created by not moving with Moreno as he was pulled wide.

I don't quite understand why our players are making such basic errors?  Arguably City 1 and City 3 are to do with a new full back bedding in, but the other two are inexcusable.

Offline laximaginationzzz

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »
Just saw a stat saying we've conceded at least 2 goals in 23/39 away league games under BR
LFC. YNWA. JFT96.

Offline Hayer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »
Just saw a stat saying we've conceded at least 2 goals in 23/39 away league games under BR

That's an awful stat.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:00 pm »
To compete defensively against elite teams away from home we`ll need two CB`s on the same page and two DM`s to patrol the space between the lines. Don`t see any other way.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »
For my money the fault of goals so far:

Southampton 1 : Lucas primarily. Could still have been defended by Skrtel pulling across to close the space between him and Lovren and defend as a unit
City 1: Moreno slow reactions and should have cleared. Could have been stopped originally had Lovren pulled across to close the space between him and Moreno and defended as a unit
City 2: Skrtel, basic failure to keep the defensive line, can't actually remember this goal to be honest
City 3: Lovren, too much space created by not moving with Moreno as he was pulled wide. So if we, again, defend as a unit and Lovren moves across when Moreno does we could have also had a possibility of stopping the goal

I don't quite understand why our players are making such basic errors?  Arguably City 1 and City 3 are to do with a new full back bedding in, but the other two are inexcusable.

My point is, at what point do these stop becoming frustrating individual errors and start becoming failings in the way the defence are coached/organised to defend?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2014, 11:37:13 pm »
We need that Defensive coach.  Maybe split the  head coaches position as Brendan will be our Attack Coach.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:42:50 pm by Samie »

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2014, 11:41:10 pm »
We need that Defensive coach.  Maybe split the  head coaches position as Brendan will be out Attack Coach.

That's not how it works. The team works as one, unfortunately Brendan does seem to completely ignore any defensive shape coaching. A defensive coach wont help. We make errors both systematically and individually. Changing the system of the defence is essentially changing the whole team. Indivudual errors can be helped however.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:48 pm »
You remind me of us under Hughes when we were lovely going forward but bloody awful at the back. The first thing Mancini did was tighten up at the back. We were pretty gruesome to watch at times but it was effective in stemming the goals against. Once he'd got things right at the back, we started to play more expansively. You had two new players in your back four tonight and I thought they looked more solid than last season but it takes time to get a back four to understand each other and work together. The question is, can Rodgers get them to do that?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:19 pm »
I'd be interested to see what would happen if Sakho and Manquillo came into the team for Skrtel and Johnson.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:41 pm »
its a very big ask to improve last years leaky defence whilst bedding in 3 new defenders.  Unless the system is tweaked as opposed to personnel then we will struggle. Said all last season that the attacking play was good, but it would do us no favours in Europe.
Brendan desperately needs to improve this side of the team. Really hope he does.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »
You remind me of us under Hughes when we were lovely going forward but bloody awful at the back. The first thing Mancini did was tighten up at the back. We were pretty gruesome to watch at times but it was effective in stemming the goals against. Once he'd got things right at the back, we started to play more expansively. You had two new players in your back four tonight and I thought they looked more solid than last season but it takes time to get a back four to understand each other and work together. The question is, can Rodgers get them to do that?

I think Rodgers is a very intelligent coach and has the ability to do it, the question just has to be, when does the straw break the camel's back? I was hoping it was the Palace game last season.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »
I think Rodgers is a very intelligent coach and has the ability to do it, the question just has to be, when does the straw break the camel's back? I was hoping it was the Palace game last season.

Definitely. It won't be tonight because we were playing against a top side.

It'll happen if we start to lose in games when we'd have churned out a win or even a draw last season.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:55 pm »
Where's Steve Clarke at?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:06 am »
Where's Steve Clarke at?

Out of work because he couldn't get West Brom to defend.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:43 am »
I'd be interested to see what would happen if Sakho and Manquillo came into the team for Skrtel and Johnson.

We'd be instantly much better. But they'd still need time and proper coaching to be a perfect unit
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2014, 12:07:59 am »
Out of work because he couldn't get West Brom to defend.

;D

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:07 am »
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy fix. Its a collective of both the personnel and the system.

It needs to be looked at. Not sure who's dealing with sorting out the defense from a coaching perspective but other avenues need to be explored. Whether that be a sole defensive coach or getting someone in like Carra to help.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:26 am »
I'm frightened.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Hayer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:36 am »
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy fix. Its a collective of both the personnel and the system.

It needs to be looked at. Not sure who's dealing with sorting out the defense from a coaching perspective but other avenues need to be explored. Whether that be a sole defensive coach or getting someone in like Carra to help.

Carra coming in would be brilliant, considering he would have knowledge of Houllier and Rafa's methods in drilling a defence. Though saying that, it's another thing whether he has the ability to apply that himself on the training field.

I'm sure he could though.

Offline Pidalow

• Legacy Fan
  • Success is not forever and failure isn’t fatal.
« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:11 am »
Individually i think our defenders bar Johnson are pretty good. Rodgers has to get them working together as a unit. We cant let in another 50 odd goals this season, if we do i dont think we will finish in the top 4.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2014, 12:38:48 am »
Carra coming in would be brilliant, considering he would have knowledge of Houllier and Rafa's methods in drilling a defence. Though saying that, it's another thing whether he has the ability to apply that himself on the training field.

I'm sure he could though.

Carra would be as potentially brilliant as Sherwood was for Spurs. And I loved Carragher as a player. But this is the fallacy people who don't get involved in the upper levels of the game fall into - ex-player=good coach/manager. Houllier and Rafa didn't play the same game as Rodgers. So how would Carragher or a defensive coach deal with a back four where the fullbacks are actually wingers?

There's a lot wrong with our defending, and our defensive coaching. Bringing in ex-players who have little to no experience is not the answer.

After all, Arsenal are no better or worse than before they hired Steve Bould.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2014, 12:42:08 am »
New season same old errors.

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:10 am »
We've let in 4 in 2 games... Times that by 18...

Maybe the midfield isn't giving enough cover? If we bring in Manquillo amd Sahko for Johnson and Skrtl, we'll have 3 new players and one that's only been here one season... Very risky no?
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:36 am »
We looked very good defensively for the first forty minutes today in my opinion. I'm hopeful we'll see more of that in the future. The first half ended up being marred by a silly individual error from a lad who was making his debut in a very tricky match, but there was something to be positive about there.

Once that goal went in it all went to pot, and that needs to be addressed. It looked like we got a bit desperate to score and that led to our shape going a little crazy, but I assume that's something that is learnt with time.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:46 am »

Maybe the midfield isn't giving enough cover? If we bring in Manquillo amd Sahko for Johnson and Skrtl, we'll have 3 new players and one that's only been here one season... Very risky no?
We aren't playing City away another 18 times.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:36 am »
Carra would be as potentially brilliant as Sherwood was for Spurs. And I loved Carragher as a player. But this is the fallacy people who don't get involved in the upper levels of the game fall into - ex-player=good coach/manager. Houllier and Rafa didn't play the same game as Rodgers. So how would Carragher or a defensive coach deal with a back four where the fullbacks are actually wingers?

There's a lot wrong with our defending, and our defensive coaching. Bringing in ex-players who have little to no experience is not the answer.

After all, Arsenal are no better or worse than before they hired Steve Bould.

So, pretty clear you consider this problem a big one. Do you reckon it could affect Rodgers' short term future at the club?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:17 am »
We aren't playing City away another 18 times.

But we are playing Stoke and Hull who we also conceded 3 against

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:31 am »
We looked very good defensively for the first forty minutes today in my opinion. I'm hopeful we'll see more of that in the future. The first half ended up being marred by a silly individual error from a lad who was making his debut in a very tricky match, but there was something to be positive about there.

Once that goal went in it all went to pot, and that needs to be addressed. It looked like we got a bit desperate to score and that led to our shape going a little crazy, but I assume that's something that is learnt with time.

Right on the money. I remember something similar happened when crystal palace scored two quick goals last season. Our shape went all over the place as we lost the composure we had shown throughout the beginning of the match.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:54 am »

Lets wait till we actually play them first.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:04 am »
So, pretty clear you consider this problem a big one. Do you reckon it could affect Rodgers' short term future at the club?

:butt

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:39 am »

When will this end? When will people stop trotting out that vague possible 'explanation'?

Could you please specify exactly what the midfield players are doing wrong or not doing correctly which results in "the midfield"  not "giving enough cover" to our defense?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:01:43 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:58 am »
and United and Spurs who we conceded 0 against.

Obviously our defending needs to improve but Man City will have very few games this year where they have so few efforts on goal.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2014, 01:01:16 am »
Any errors for the first goal by any other player is minute compared to the glaring error by Moreno, that is not systematic but an individual error by a new player. If that mistake doesn't happen we likely continue to play like that for the rest of the game rather than having to chase.

I think that's too harsh on Moreno.

He was half-a-second or less too late in reacting to an unexpected headed 'clearance' by Lovren who had quickly to pick up and defend against Silva, who hadn't been tracked properly (gasp) by Gerrard.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:33 am »
So, what's the educated consensus so far on how our midfield trio (both versions) fared, in terms of contributing to our defense?
Ludi Circenses!