Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 696952 times)

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Re: Liverpool's Defence
« Reply #1680 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:11 pm »
Personally, I think the majority of the problems are down to personnel and team selection. Whether or not the staff can do a better job of drilling defensive principles in training, they can't go out on the pitch and play. In the end, it's the responsibility of the men on the pitch to perform. I tried taking a look back at our last 12 months of competitive results to see if I could parse out any pattern in terms of selection and defensive frailties. In particular, I was looking at the selections of Skrtel and Johnson, as I'm of the opinion that both are vastly below the standard we require. I feel similarly (but not quite as strongly) about Mignolet, but he's essentially been an everpresent across that stretch.

If we look back one calendar year and begin with our 2-2 draw away to Newcastle, we've played 46 competitive matches through yesterday. Skrtel and Johnson have started 30 of the 46 matches together. Skrtel has started 11 more games without Johnson. Johnson has not started a single match without Skrtel and we've had an additional 5 matches where neither man has started. Obviously take these numbers with the usual caveats regarding sample sizes, formations, and what not, but I still found them interesting (read: disturbing). Here are our goals allowed per game for those three subsets:

Skrtel & Johnson starting: 1.60
Skrtel starting w/o Johnson: 1.27
Neither starting: 0.80

When you look at the numbers on a game by game basis it's staggering. We've allowed 3 goals on 8 occasions when they've both started. We've allowed 2 goals a further 9 times. For those counting at home, that's 2 goals or more in 53% of the games in which Skrtel and Johnson have both started over the past calendar year. I don't think we're suddenly going to turn into a Mourinho side by dropping those two, but I do firmly believe that any hopes of improving defensively need to start there. We're past the point of no return on this. I'd urge Rodgers to try a back 4 of Sakho, Lovren, Moreno, and Manquillo for a sustained run. They're all like-minded defenders who can hopefully find some sort of cohesion with a consistent run. Each also has the added advantage of youth which brings the possibility of individual improvement with time on the pitch. It might not blossom overnight, but it'd be a hell of an improvement over watching a back four simply wither and die.
Justice For The 96

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1681 on: October 23, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »
And it`s not just about their individual mistakes per se it`s how they drag us back almost to our goal line. Johnson in particular last two games there`s been 2-3 occasions for the goals and big chances we conceded where he plays everyone onside and is almost in line with Mignolet.

Two of them have absolutely no desire whatsoever to play anyone offside or to be disciplined when it comes holding the line with two other defenders. We`re in huge trouble if we keep on insisting on playing them both when it clearly doesn`t work with the way we try to play.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1682 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:12 am »
Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool FC don't need a defensive coach

Not even the world’s greatest legal minds could make a case for Liverpool’s defence at present.

The fallout from the Reds’ Champions League hiding at the hands of Real Madrid may have been dominated by a misfiring striker who foolishly embarked on some half-time shirt swapping.

But Brendan Rodgers knows that his side’s current problems run much deeper than Mario Balotelli. Asked about the dangers of the Italian frontman being made a scapegoat for the club’s underwhelming form, he quipped: “Was he playing centre-half?”

There was no shame in losing to Carlo Ancelotti’s star-studded line up but it was the manner in which defeat was inflicted which was so tough for supporters to stomach.

Aside from Cristiano Ronaldo’s stunning opener, Liverpool weren’t carved apart by Real’s attacking brilliance. Instead the Spaniards simply cashed in on the Reds’ glaring defensive frailties as Karim Benzema twice punished some woeful marking.

It’s a habit Liverpool seem unable to kick. Last season problems at the back were largely papered over by the club’s array of firepower. But with Luis Suarez gone and Daniel Sturridge on the treatment table, the goals have dried up and there is no hiding place for their porous rearguard.

In a dozen games in all competitions so far this season Simon Mignolet has been beaten on 18 occasions. His solitary clean sheet came in the win at White Hart Lane back in August.

The personnel in front of the Belgian may change but the mistakes just keep on happening. Rodgers has demanded they get back to basics.

“This has been the frustration throughout the season,” Rodgers told the ECHO.

“A large number of the goals we’ve conceded have been soft. There hasn’t been a corner with a clever move that has beaten us.

“It’s been a simple ball into the box and we haven’t defended it through either the first contact or by letting people come across us.

“The second and third goals against Real were disappointing. That’s seven, arguably eight, goals we’ve conceded from dead balls so far.

“We need to be more competitive and more aggressive in those situations. They are scrappy goals we’re giving away and you can’t do that at this level.”

Some fans have touted the idea of Rodgers bolstering his staff with the appointment of a defensive coach but the Northern Irishman insists that isn’t necessary.

The manager says all Liverpool need is time on the training ground to put things right. However, there are currently precious few opportunities to get that work done.

Tomorrow’s Premier League clash with Hull City at Anfield is the third of seven games in the space of just 21 days. Not since August have Liverpool had a full week to prepare for a match.

“It’s not a case of needing to bring in another coach, a defensive coach or anything like that,” Rodgers said.

“I wouldn’t go down that route. The bottom line is our team is based on balance and at times it’s been poor. There is a collective responsibility to defend better and that’s what we have to do.

“Our problem and the issue we have which we need to find the solution for is our lack of coaching time. Take this week, we played Wednesday night, the players physically recover on Thursday, and that leaves us with only a short period of time on the training field before we’ve got the game on Saturday.

“Over the last 18 months we have seen the developments of this team given coaching time. It’s really not rocket science.

“The introduction of all our new players and having limited coaching time has caused us issues. We need to be better.”

Dejan Lovren, a £20million signing from Southampton this summer, was supposed to be Jamie Carragher’s successor and the leader Liverpool’s backline so desperately needed.

However, the Croatian has endured a baptism of fire with an alarming lack of communication and understanding between him and centre-back partner Martin Skrtel.

In total Rodgers has spent around £66million on defensive reinforcements since his arrival at Anfield. Last year’s swoop for Mignolet (£9m), Mamadou Sakho (£18m), Tiago Ilori (£7m), Kolo Toure (free) and Aly Cissokho (loan) was followed this summer by deals for Lovren, Alberto Moreno (£12m) and Javier Manquillo (loan).

None of them have firmly established themselves at Anfield and doubts about Mignolet’s long-term future remain - despite the club calling off their pursuit of free agent Victor Valdes.

France international Sakho, who has been out of favour, is on the comeback trail after a thigh problem but won’t be considered for the visit of Hull.

Rodgers has told his defenders they need to accept the stick which has come their way and focus their minds on answering the critics with improved performances.

“There is no point focusing on any one individual,” Rodgers added.

“We win and lose as a team. It’s a collective effort we need in order to succeed.

“If there is any blame, we all understand as managers and players the nature of it. Whether it’s deserved or undeserved, you don’t like criticism but you have to accept it.

“When you’re winning games, you get the praise for it. When you lose games, you won’t like the reaction so much.

“We need to reinforce the key principles and on the field we need to show that competitive spirit. Great competitors don’t get done so easily in those defensive situations.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-dont-7990098

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1683 on: October 24, 2014, 12:12:04 am »

“We need to reinforce the key principles and on the field we need to show that competitive spirit. Great competitors don’t get done so easily in those defensive situations.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-dont-7990098

Make sense until you see the efforts of a glen johnson running his contract out on the team sheet...
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: October 24, 2014, 01:28:39 am »
Just read that, also saw Valdes is going to Utd.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: October 24, 2014, 02:01:26 am »
Not sure the excuse of having no coaching time works for me, our defence was shit last year when we had one game a week, and every other top team has to deal with 3 games a week. Managers like Simeone and Mourinho have built solid defences with the same coaching time

Feels like he's trying to shirk blame rather than looking a himself and his coaches
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:03 am »
To be fair neither of those have ever had an attack as good as ours last season with similar resources.

I imagine if either of those wanted to suddenly go for a more attacking approach it would take time to develop.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:42 am »
What happened with the Valdes deal? Thought we would be all over that :/

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: October 24, 2014, 02:25:10 am »
Not sure the excuse of having no coaching time works for me, our defence was shit last year when we had one game a week, and every other top team has to deal with 3 games a week. Managers like Simeone and Mourinho have built solid defences with the same coaching time

Feels like he's trying to shirk blame rather than looking a himself and his coaches

It's pointless comparing him to other coaches. At least there's some recognition that there is work to be done on the training ground, as obvious as that seems.

It's not really surprising he wouldn't publicly admit a failing (how many managers do?), it doesn't mean that he isn't looking at things to change though. He has little choice in that regard.

It is what he does that matters, not what he says. Doesn't have to explain himself, just improve things.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1689 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:26 am »
Yes, it's what he does that matters, in the end. But what he says gives us a glimpse on how he goes about thinking about what he's going to do.

Seriously, I am not having a go at BR or anyone. I seriously do not understand what the point is he's trying to make when he mentions that he doesn't have enough time on the training pitch with the players. Are we to conclude that the players he fields are the ones who combine the best understanding and execution of his instructions and education on the training pitch, the highest level of talent and the greatest fit for how he wants the team to play? If so, whose doing is it exactly that in game situations they eff up and concede those 'soft goals' he mentioned? Who's picking them and placing them? Who's picking them and placing them again for the next match? Are the ones that do not get games (e.g. Manquillo did not start vs Real Madrid, why exactly?) are worse 'students' than the ones who do get picked?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1690 on: October 24, 2014, 03:33:14 am »
So how does he explain why we've been shit defensively for 3 years? We've only been playing 3 games a week this season, not for the past 2.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: October 24, 2014, 04:13:25 am »
So how does he explain why we've been shit defensively for 3 years? We've only been playing 3 games a week this season, not for the past 2.

I suppose he needs both the right players (who fit the profile) AND a lot of time on the training pitch in order to get the best overall outcome from the defense as a whole.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: October 24, 2014, 04:34:48 am »
Winston Reid, a no messing about dominant CB perfect for the demands of our league.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1693 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:53 am »

It's frustrating that he doesn't seem to be able to find a way to coach them better defensively in the time he's got, when other coaches whos teams have played the same amount of games during the week can. I hope he finds a solution to this problem soon, because its becoming both frustrating and embarrassing to watch how we defend. :-\
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:52:54 am by Solomon Grundy »

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:32 am »
I think the most frustrating thing is the banging head against wall reliance on old faces. I can't get my head around it. It's falling back on experience but they are experienced in conceding goals in recent years, not keeping clean sheets.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:06 am »
Skrtel is not good at football. I'm not sure he is the best choice as our CB. If we are going to play him, and necessarily make our defence much more vunerable then Gerrard can't play. His defensive contribution is equally poor.

Gerrard works when we are on the front foot and last season Sturridge and Suarez brought the best out of our entire team, especially Gerrard for that very reason. If we are going to score less, we need to concede less - and for that reason I'd like the player at the base of our triangle to have more energy/be less adventurous.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1696 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:41 am »
I think the most frustrating thing is the banging head against wall reliance on old faces. I can't get my head around it. It's falling back on experience but they are experienced in conceding goals in recent years, not keeping clean sheets.

Aye that is frustrating as well mate. I'm not going to name any names but, certain players should be having no future at our great club.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: October 24, 2014, 06:22:48 am »
What I find strange about Skrtel is that at 29, with nearly 7 years playing in a top league at a top club and captain of his national side he still manages to look inexperienced and naive. This fella should be stepping up big time and taking charge, not hiding behind another erratic CB several years his junior.

How has he seemingly learnt nothing in 7 years and continually commits the same basic mistakes over and over!?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:28:02 am by Bunter »

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1698 on: October 24, 2014, 06:26:06 am »
Sorry, but I'm not having this 'it's not about individuals'. We are not conceding goals because our team is getting torn apart from front to back. Of course, our pressing could be better, we could close down spaces more effectively, be more compact etc etc - but none of that explains an individual player not doing near enough to stop a cross coming in, and a GROUP of defenders always being second to the ball when it comes into our area.

I train individuals for a living, in the athletic world, and I can tell you, this team has a form of defensive cancer on the individual level. These players are not making it their priority to do their individual defensive duties, they are getting beaten to the ball almost every single time, and they are inspiring a drain in confidence throughout the whole team.

I hate to say this, but if you've replaced the whole back 4 and the problem still exists, there's only one man who can take the blame. If BR doesn't turn this trend around, it will cost him his job sooner or later.

I say get Carra onto the coaching staff. He'd have his boot so far up the arses of every member of that back 4 that they wouldn't dream of shirking their duties again.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1699 on: October 24, 2014, 06:28:53 am »
Some fans have touted the idea of Rodgers bolstering his staff with the appointment of a defensive coach but the Northern Irishman insists that isn’t necessary.

The manager says all Liverpool need is time on the training ground to put things right. However, there are currently precious few opportunities to get that work done.

“Our problem and the issue we have which we need to find the solution for is our lack of coaching time. Take this week, we played Wednesday night, the players physically recover on Thursday, and that leaves us with only a short period of time on the training field before we’ve got the game on Saturday.

“Over the last 18 months we have seen the developments of this team given coaching time. It’s really not rocket science.

Two things with this.

1) This is what happens when you play in Europe. All the top managers have to deal with this every season. You don't get free midweeks September to December if you're in Europe. Rodgers needs to get used to that, he's managing Liverpool.

2) We were only playing one game a week last season but still couldn't defend to save our lives. Where was the work on the training ground then with the defence?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:10 am »
With regards to less coaching time this is surely something that we as a club was going to be aware of. Yes we had to improve the squad as a whole so you would think we would off signed players that fitted the exact profile on how we played last year to allow players a more easier transition in the first team.

Yet we signed some players more suited to a 4-3-3, two Central strikers who lack pace and a left sided cb who plays on the front foot when we already had one with similar qualities.

Deciding to change the formation and integrate so many players at the same time was stupid in my opinion. What's done is done now the manager needs to find a way of playing that gets the best  out of the players we have. I'm sure we will see improvement as the season goes on and once we have less games to play.

As for the coaching around the defence we didn't improve at the back last year with one game a week. Can't help but think the manager likes his players to take responsability on the pitch, he doesn't seem to micro manage them. Without an organiser and a leader at the back things are not working.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:18 am »
Here are our goals allowed per game for those three subsets:

Skrtel & Johnson starting: 1.60
Skrtel starting w/o Johnson: 1.27
Neither starting: 0.80

When you look at the numbers on a game by game basis it's staggering. We've allowed 3 goals on 8 occasions when they've both started. We've allowed 2 goals a further 9 times. For those counting at home, that's 2 goals or more in 53% of the games in which Skrtel and Johnson have both started over the past calendar year. I don't think we're suddenly going to turn into a Mourinho side by dropping those two, but I do firmly believe that any hopes of improving defensively need to start there. We're past the point of no return on this. I'd urge Rodgers to try a back 4 of Sakho, Lovren, Moreno, and Manquillo for a sustained run. They're all like-minded defenders who can hopefully find some sort of cohesion with a consistent run. Each also has the added advantage of youth which brings the possibility of individual improvement with time on the pitch. It might not blossom overnight, but it'd be a hell of an improvement over watching a back four simply wither and die.

I'm no fan of the overuse of stats in football, but this is a brilliant example of using them to show a very clear and damning trend.

Totally agree with everything you wrote. Skrtel and Johnson have been good servants over their careers here, but their performances have become troubling. Once Sakho's back, we should definitely see him and Manquillo come in and play a sustained number of games to get a settled, progressive back 4. Johnson can easily be replaced by Wisdom - who's doing really well at WBA and can also fill in at CB-  for next season as well.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:26 am »
Funny that when I first brought up precisely this issue, that it didn't really make sense to bring up the number of games and the lack of time on the training pitch as a way to explain and perhaps excuse our less-than-stellar defending of set-pieces, I was told I was being "combative" and was somehow holding it against BR that we came in 2nd last season.

Boggles the mind, that.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1703 on: October 24, 2014, 07:31:25 am »
No coaching time with all this pesky European football...........last season Brendan?

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: October 24, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
If we're being brutally fucking honest, dead ball defending doesn't actually need coaching.

If I was coaching at anything above pub level and my defence couldn't defend a restart I'd wonder why ?

Whether it be man2man, or zonal. Brendan is right in one respect, it's not rocket science.

If we were getting torn apart, or if we had to train for the 'nuances' of a certain team fair enough. But a defence/players at this level should not be having habitual problems with a ball 'hoiked' into the box.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #1705 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:40 am »
If we're being brutally fucking honest, dead ball defending doesn't actually need coaching.

If I was coaching at anything above pub level and my defence couldn't defend a restart I'd wonder why ?

Whether it be man2man, or zonal. Brendan is right in one respect, it's not rocket science.

If we were getting torn apart, or if we had to train for the 'nuances' of a certain team fair enough. But a defence/players at this level should not be having habitual problems with a ball 'hoiked' into the box.
Exactly, players who are on ridiculous wages can't manage to concentrate for 90 min or actually do their job which is to clear their box. Right now it's calamity after calamity, this lot makes Phil Babb look good.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:10 am »
No coaching time with all this pesky European football...........last season Brendan?

Might well be if he doesn't sort it out.  I doubt fsg are impressed by our manager saying he can't get us defending while we're in the champions league.

He's made a rod for his own back really.  The attack isn't there anymore, the defence is worse than ever and it's all down to a combination of his coaching methods and poor, poor summer transfer decisions.

Rodgers asked for a table so we bought one.  Seems in this case we needed a lamp.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1707 on: October 24, 2014, 08:06:33 am »
Some of the comments about Rodgers here are a bit disrespectful to say the least. 9 games into the new season, just outside the top 4 on goal difference and the knives are already out?

Bloody hell.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: October 24, 2014, 08:15:58 am »
I'll tell you something else as well, if we get 'done' because Gerrard is up the field, or Lovren 'steps out to attack the ball' you can use the 'attacking team' excuse. What part of being an attacking, front foot system means you get done at set pieces ?

It's the Emporors new clothes.

I'd agree we need to find a balance in some circumstances, and even argue that yes, we will get done on the break occasionally, especially with no DM. That's a risk when you play a system that is always looking to attack. But tell me how exactly the front foot approach impinges on our ability to defend a restart ?
Tell me a defence minded coach wouldn't help, seriously, go on, because I don't get it. Why are we going through CB's like shit through a goose, and not one of them can defend a ball floated into the area at head height ?

Brendan alludes to the fact we've been done 8 times this season like that, it wouldn't have mattered on Wednesday, but how many points dropped just 8 games in can be attributed solely to our inability to defend the most basic attacking instinct ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1709 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:56 am »
Some of the comments about Rodgers here are a bit disrespectful to say the least. 9 games into the new season, just outside the top 4 on goal difference and the knives are already out?

Bloody hell.

I'm a big fan of Rodgers, and while he doesn't deserve any disrespect, he's not above criticism in this area.

You're leaving out a few important facts - 1 clean sheet in 18 games, 50 goals against last season, we're already at 12 this season, as you say 9 games in. You have the same players making individual defensive errors week in week out, and a trend of goals conceded from set pieces. It really doesn't take a genius to see that BR's Liverpool side are defensively fragile, and that he's having a hard time resolving it.

I agree that on the whole, we've got no reason to panic, or to jump all over Rodgers - but if you look at our defense specifically, it's quite alarming.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:19 am »

Bloody hell.

Some may be disrespectful. But do you not think we have every right to question him ?

A defence that he's spent 60m on, and a striker that doesn't work ?

As Liverpool manager you both live and die by the sword, he knows it, he even said as much.

Name calling and snide digs deserve the action the mods generally take, but I see no problem with calling him out if it's done respectful of who he is, and on issues everyone can see.

When he sorts the defence, and we get Daniel back he'll be everyone's favourite person again anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.
 ;)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:25 am »

Bloody hell.

I've honestly not seen a single disrespectful comment in this thread, there are legitimate cause for concern about our defending.. We are 3 years into Rodgers tenure and we've regressed, or well maybe we've not, but the brilliant attacking play of last season masked the same deficiencies.

Sorry but our position doesn't even get close to disguising the shambles of our backline, it's a miracle we are still up there with the displays we've seen so far.

Ignore the Real game as they are rightly a world class team, but we've looked terrible v's QPR, Villa, West Ham, Basel etc. For a team that's spent over £60million on defensive signings (more than probably those 4 clubs transfers combined total!) it's not good enough.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:35:37 am by Draex »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1712 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:50 am »
I've honestly not seen a single disrespectful comment in this thread, there are legitimate cause for concern about our defending.. We are 3 years into Rodgers tenure and we've regressed, or well maybe we've not, but the brilliant attacking play of last season masked the same deficiencies.

Sorry but our position doesn't even get close to disguising the shambles of our backline, it's a miracle we are still up there with the displays we've seen so far.
So you think someone posting "last season Brendan?" isn't disrespectful?

And why is it a miracle we're up there? In Rodgers first season when we near the bottom of the table everyone would say the table doesn't lie but now when we're near the top we apparently don't deserve it.

The reason we're still up there is because the other teams we're competing with for the top four positions have similar gaps in their squad as us apart from City and Chelsea. 

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: October 24, 2014, 08:43:41 am »

And why is it a miracle we're up there? In Rodgers first season when we near the bottom of the table everyone would say the table doesn't lie but now when we're near the top we apparently don't deserve it.

The reason we're still up there is because the other teams we're competing with for the top four positions have similar gaps in their squad as us apart from City and Chelsea.

I've not seen that post, anyway report the mod feature is for such things.

It's a miracle because we were made to look second best against some of the percieved weakest teams in the league, all they had to do was press us and launch balls into our box - the fact that such basic tactics that even Fat Sam can execute them to aid our defeat tells you enough. Rodgers is a brilliant tactician, but he's lost his way a little this season in my opinion.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1714 on: October 24, 2014, 08:45:02 am »

Behave will you I suppose your referring to me? How can a question asking how come we conceded so many goals last season be disrespectful. He's not your dad so stop being so precious.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:58:22 am by harryc »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1715 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:48 am »
I've not seen that post, anyway report the mod feature is for such things.

It's a miracle because we were made to look second best against some of the percieved weakest teams in the league, all they had to do was press us and launch balls into our box - the fact that such basic tactics that even Fat Sam can execute them to aid our defeat tells you enough. Rodgers is a brilliant tactician, but he's lost his way a little this season in my opinion.
Why come on saying you've not seen a disrespectful post then when you've clearly not read the thread? It was only a few posts up from your post.

We haven't had our two best players from last year in the team for different reasons. When Sturridge has played we have looked much better, our back-up to him hasn't worked yet.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:56 am »
BR isn't immune to criticism, but can we drop the '60+ million spent' line? 40m was spent on a cb pairing which has yet to see a run of 5 games on the pitch. 

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: October 24, 2014, 09:06:41 am »
Why come on saying you've not seen a disrespectful post then when you've clearly not read the thread? It was only a few posts up from your post.

We haven't had our two best players from last year in the team for different reasons. When Sturridge has played we have looked much better, our back-up to him hasn't worked yet.

You've got the wrong end of the stick mate.

It was in response to the claim that we have no coaching time.

We had coaching time 'last season Brendan' but we were still poor.

Re read the page mate.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:01 am »

Bloody hell.

Regardless of where we are in the table standings, we are playing catastrophically bad at the moment. We won;t be climbing any higher if we do not fix the issues quick.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:17 am »
I will absolutely agree that you cannot celebrate scoring 101 goals and playing beautiful football and bitch about the inevitable tradeoff. Or you can, but don't expect anybody to take you seriously. The last thing I want is Mourinho "philosophy" applied to Liverpool.

So as someone was saying earlier, start by dedicating some of that precious training time to defending set pieces. Those happen to every team in every game of football in the known universe. You can clone Lucas and play with 5 "real" DMs and you will still have to deal with set pieces. Does it even have to be time spent on the training ground? Can't they... videoconference and watch tapes and have them write: "I WILL WATCH THE BALL NOT THE MAN" and "I WILL NOT RETREAT UNTIL I'M SITTING IN MIGNOLET'S LAP" on the blackboard 100 times each?

These are highly paid professionals, to say the least, surely you are not overstressing them by making them watch some football for an hour every day.

And it`s not just about their individual mistakes per se it`s how they drag us back almost to our goal line. Johnson in particular last two games there`s been 2-3 occasions for the goals and big chances we conceded where he plays everyone onside

Karim Benzema doesn't even know the offside rule! It's one of the oldest running jokes in football. So that takes some doing.

Having decent fullbacks who can stop a cross, the equivalent of a unicorn in Liverpool lore, has been the one beacon of hope in our defense this season. And then we start Champions League games with Enrique and Glen Johnson.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.