Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306359 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #9160 on: October 25, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »
Also, opening question made me laugh out loud while out on my run this morning. Genius question.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #9161 on: October 25, 2014, 07:42:39 pm »
Also, opening question made me laugh out loud while out on my run this morning. Genius question.

Listened on the way back from Anfield tonight and was killing myself at the thought of 600 kids up against Real Madrid. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #9162 on: October 25, 2014, 07:47:55 pm »
Listened on the way back from Anfield tonight and was killing myself at the thought of 600 kids up against Real Madrid. ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mxfk272tZo

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9163 on: October 26, 2014, 12:31:53 pm »
Is there another thread for the rider?

Trying to catch up with the last few weeks podcasts. Melia or No Melia had me in stiches. Really liking that Noire song
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:35:54 pm by Guz-kop »
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9164 on: October 26, 2014, 02:19:44 pm »
Is there another thread for the rider?

Trying to catch up with the last few weeks podcasts. Melia or No Melia had me in stiches. Really liking that Noire song
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305373.msg11589723#msg11589723
Its in Media & Arts mate but is rarely posted in. There's been at least 1 since that but they seem they have skipped last week.
http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/podcast/

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9165 on: October 26, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »
Opening questions was brilliant this week - the lads all seemed in good spirits. 

Not looking forward to the dissection of Hull, but it's the highlight of the week for me after a defeat.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9166 on: October 26, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305373.msg11589723#msg11589723
Its in Media & Arts mate but is rarely posted in. There's been at least 1 since that but they seem they have skipped last week.
http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/podcast/

Oh aye. Maybe we should resurrect it. Also only recently noticed John posts the playlist from every week on the website which is great
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9167 on: October 28, 2014, 12:54:34 am »
Oh aye. Maybe we should resurrect it. Also only recently noticed John posts the playlist from every week on the website which is great
Please do resurrect it. Last week's came out today. Recorded this week's and it should be out Thursday.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9168 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:33 pm »
Thought the criticism of Enrique was totally wrong in the last episode. 

He makes one mistake vs QPR and now suddenly he is shit.  Forget how good he has been in the past, how he was arguably our best player in the league cup vs Boro. 

I still think he is our best all round full back personally and one poor performance / mistake, won't change that opinion.  You'd have thought Johnson and Moreno hadn't cost us goals this season listening to that.  Actually thought it was odd the praise Johnson was getting given how poor he has been for 18 months.  Weird.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9169 on: October 28, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »
I would agree that they seemed strangely lenient on Johnson but that shouldn't detract from the IMO legitimate criticism of Enrique. I would say that Manquillo and Moreno have both been miles better than Johnson and Enrique.

Surprisingly upbeat podcast this week though. Considering my own mood on Saturday they seemed to take it pretty well. Good to see personally.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9170 on: October 28, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »
Thought it was strange that Johnson was praised as our "sieging" saviour when he's been consistently brainless in the attacking third for ages now (and not to mention his performance against RM).
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #9171 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »
Enjoyed the episode but thought the criticism of the full back situation last summer was off. We got Moreno who could easily be our left back for 10 years (or until Madrid come in for him) and Manquillo on loan which I think is an ideal deal. We can use him whilst Flanno is injured, we decide what to do with Glens contract and Wisdom gets a years first team premier league football on loan. Out of all the issues I don't think full back is a massive problem. As Neil says, everyone hates their own fullbacks.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9172 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9173 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Thought it was strange that Johnson was praised as our "sieging" saviour when he's been consistently brainless in the attacking third for ages now (and not to mention his performance against RM).
Not for the first time either, they just seem to have a massive collective blind spot with Johnson. At least Neil stuck up for Manquillo for a change, who was head and shoulders our better player on saturday in my opinion, although you wouldn't think so if you only listened to the podcast.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9174 on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:29 pm »
Thought the criticism of Enrique was totally wrong in the last episode. 

He makes one mistake vs QPR and now suddenly he is shit.  Forget how good he has been in the past, how he was arguably our best player in the league cup vs Boro. 

I still think he is our best all round full back personally and one poor performance / mistake, won't change that opinion.  You'd have thought Johnson and Moreno hadn't cost us goals this season listening to that.  Actually thought it was odd the praise Johnson was getting given how poor he has been for 18 months.  Weird.

Against Boro his lack of concentration cost us a goal, Enrique is a great athlete but he just doesn't have the brain to be a top player. It wasn't just 1 mistake against QPR either, the lad had 54% pass completion that game, that's like a 13 year old playing FIFA

Not for the first time either, they just seem to have a massive collective blind spot with Johnson. At least Neil stuck up for Manquillo for a change, who was head and shoulders our better player on saturday in my opinion, although you wouldn't think so if you only listened to the podcast.

Agreed, not sure what the general TAW love in with Johnson is, maybe they're hoping to attract him on as a guest in the near future?

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #9175 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »
Enjoyed the show as usual but a couple of things stood out.

1) Putting on an extra attacker doesn't always make you more attacking.  We were chasing a game once and Bob Paisley took of John Toshack for a midfielder.  It worked of course.  Toshack was livid and couldn't understand it but players, fans and journalists rarely do.

2) Recovery days aren't rest days.  It doesn't mean you miss training.

Hugs

Brendan

The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #9176 on: October 29, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »
Not for the first time either, they just seem to have a massive collective blind spot with Johnson.
I'd argue that many on here have completely the opposite blind spot as regards Johnson.

Offline JCB Barnes

• Main Stander
  • Goal Digger
« Reply #9177 on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:08 pm »

Done. Let's talk music.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9178 on: October 29, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »
Enjoyed the show as usual but a couple of things stood out.

1) Putting on an extra attacker doesn't always make you more attacking.  We were chasing a game once and Bob Paisley took of John Toshack for a midfielder.  It worked of course.  Toshack was livid and couldn't understand it but players, fans and journalists rarely do.

2) Recovery days aren't rest days.  It doesn't mean you miss training.

Hugs

Brendan

Rafa in the derby with Gerrard/Lucas. I don't think he was ever forgiven for that even though it led to the winning goal.

1-0 down to Milan he took Masch off for Crouch IIRC. That freed up Kaka to set the second goal up which was the matchwinner.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Get em Kells!

• Main Stander
« Reply #9179 on: October 29, 2014, 11:16:48 pm »
I'd argue that many on here have completely the opposite blind spot as regards Johnson.

Fair play. Him being out of the side and having genuine competition for his place seems to have sharpened him back up a bit. Let's hope it continues and he comes into a run of form we've not seem from him in ages.

Can't wait for the next podcast. It's always good when we've done something mental like the last match.

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9180 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:22 pm »
Bit of a shame there wasn't more on the opposition and how they play.

Difficult for fans who aren't standing on the training ground every week I know but all the same felt a bit like the team selection was in a vacuum and about flavour of the month rather than potential team tactics.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #9181 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:11 am »
Love the Wrap and as it's free it seems really churlish to criticise however i did feel that there were a couple of issues with the last pod, the first has already been pointed out ie the love in over Johnson and the downplaying of Manquillo, who i thought was one of our better players Saturday, odd but won't be the last time i disagree with the guys so fair enough however in the run down of the team individually they talked about everyone bar Stevie, maybe it was merely an oversight or time constraint but i have often felt TAW refuses to be drawn into a conversation about the Captain's performances or how we adapt to a future without him.

Still as i said it's free, it's always quality and more often than not a great laugh too so really who can complain.

Offline lebowski25

• Main Stander
« Reply #9182 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:36 am »
TAW is fantastic but I completely disagreed about bringing Johnson on as an impact sub. He has been rubbish lately, I know he played well against West Brom but we weren't chasing the game when he came on, we were defending. I thought all of Brendans substitutions against Hull were spot on and improved the team, we were creating chances, just some bad finishing from Balotelli cost us the 3 points.

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #9183 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:18 pm »
Cant find the Dublin one. what was it called?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #9184 on: October 30, 2014, 03:29:34 pm »
Cant find the Dublin one. what was it called?

The fields of Anfield Wrap

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9185 on: October 30, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »
Love the Wrap and as it's free it seems really churlish to criticise however i did feel that there were a couple of issues with the last pod, the first has already been pointed out ie the love in over Johnson and the downplaying of Manquillo, who i thought was one of our better players Saturday, odd but won't be the last time i disagree with the guys so fair enough however in the run down of the team individually they talked about everyone bar Stevie, maybe it was merely an oversight or time constraint but i have often felt TAW refuses to be drawn into a conversation about the Captain's performances or how we adapt to a future without him.

Still as i said it's free, it's always quality and more often than not a great laugh too so really who can complain.

Noticed that re Gerrard as well.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #9186 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:30 pm »
Against Boro his lack of concentration cost us a goal, Enrique is a great athlete but he just doesn't have the brain to be a top player. It wasn't just 1 mistake against QPR either, the lad had 54% pass completion that game, that's like a 13 year old playing FIFA

Agreed, not sure what the general TAW love in with Johnson is, maybe they're hoping to attract him on as a guest in the near future?

Thats absolute bollocks
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #9187 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:29 am »
The fields of Anfield Wrap

cant find it on downcast or the itunes podcast app  :-[

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9188 on: October 31, 2014, 10:31:12 am »

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9189 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:01 pm »
...but i have often felt TAW refuses to be drawn into a conversation about the Captain's performances or how we adapt to a future without him...

Yeah other pods (Anfield Index, LFCDaytrippers) seem to be dealing with this in a more open way recently. Can't figure it out. Anything to do with being in the city? Hardly? Might be unintentional but sticks out.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9190 on: October 31, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
Yeah other pods (Anfield Index, LFCDaytrippers) seem to be dealing with this in a more open way recently. Can't figure it out. Anything to do with being in the city? Hardly? Might be unintentional but sticks out.

Anfield index are a bunch of gobshite whoppers who look for any excuse to absolutely nail Gerrard, Lucas or Lovren. I'm glad TAW is above that
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #9191 on: November 1, 2014, 01:46:15 am »

Must be more evident on TV.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9192 on: November 1, 2014, 02:58:49 am »
Probably because those other pods are desperate for listeners, so they like to indulge in shite sensationalist 'bants' to draw them in.
I've often heard Gerrard discussed on TAW when there was anything worth discussing.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9193 on: November 1, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »
Probably because those other pods are desperate for listeners, so they like to indulge in shite sensationalist 'bants' to draw them in.
I've often heard Gerrard discussed on TAW when there was anything worth discussing.

I've never heard a shite sensationalist "bant" on LFCDaytrippers (though I'm not sure what a bant is), or got the feeling they were desperate for listeners.  And I've listened from day one. Can you provide an example?

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9194 on: November 1, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »
Must be more evident on TV.

Ah yes, its another of those "out of town/99%" phenomena.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9195 on: November 1, 2014, 07:54:08 pm »
I've never heard a shite sensationalist "bant" on LFCDaytrippers (though I'm not sure what a bant is), or got the feeling they were desperate for listeners.  And I've listened from day one. Can you provide an example?

Just turned on LFCDaytrippers now (for the first time). Within 30 secs they're laughing and taking the piss out of Migs and calling him a wet wipe that can't even be flushed down the toilet.
Not for me thanks, and I'm Irish.

I think you know what 'bants' means unless you've been living on the moon. Suggesting TAW never discusses Gerrard because he's from Liverpool is just tin hat bollox.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9196 on: November 1, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »
Just turned on LFCDaytrippers now (for the first time). Within 30 secs they're laughing and taking the piss out of Migs and calling him a wet wipe that can't even be flushed down the toilet.

I think you know what 'bants' means unless you've been living on the moon. Suggesting TAW never discusses Gerrard because he's from Liverpool is just tin hat bollox.

Just listened back to start of the most recent LFCDaytrippers pod and couldn't find any such thing. In fact the first seven minutes were about the positivity to be gleaned from the performances of relatively young players. With respect, I think your characterisation of them as shite, sensationalist, bant, and piss takers is undeserved, wrong and something the less reactionary members of the TAW team would reject.

Anyway that was off the point: mild criticism of TAW's line on Gerrard, Johnson and other topics is not a figment of anyone's imagination: just read this and other RAWK threads, even the TAW site itself. I posited one explanation. Besides the "they are out of towners" or "they are shite" suggestions, can you posit an explanation? Suggesting TAW don't discuss Gerrard (for any reason) would be bollix; thankfully nobody claimed that.

It's not an attack on TAW, which we are lucky to have, it's just a question.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #9197 on: November 1, 2014, 11:38:57 pm »

Just turned on LFCDaytrippers now (for the first time)

pretty much same thing happened to me earlier, awful show

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9198 on: November 2, 2014, 10:54:17 am »
pretty much same thing happened to me earlier, awful show

And did you judge the 50 hours of content after 30 seconds of content too? A bit like judging RAWK after reading a few posts.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9199 on: November 2, 2014, 10:57:30 am »
Surely this thread is about the Anfield Wrap, not a place to defend / dissect other shows?

Andy's recent post on the website is great if you haven't read it:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/11/time-cut-bullshit-fight-battles-pitch/?wt=5