Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Man City 2-1 Liverpool  (Read 16472 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table Man City 2-1 Liverpool
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:25:32 pm »
I blame the ref. well, assistant ref.
Apart from that what could we have done differently?
Yep.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
Re: RAWK Round Table Man City 2-1 Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:05 pm »
I think when it comes down to quality, they have some players who are marginally better than some of our players when it comes down to holding and passing the ball. For example, Sakho and Aly disappeared in the middle of the second half because they were making silly mistakes and giving the ball away and our midfield stopped giving the ball to them unless necessary. We didn't have quality coming off the bench, I would've have loved to see Gerrard and Sturridge coming on in the second, we would've routed their defence if it were the case.

The referee was inclined to play in favor the home team and I didn't understand some of his decisions when it came to cynical fouls. For example, that counter we had when Coutinho missed the chance, there were three or four clear fouls and at least two yellows just in that passage but he ignored it all because he was playing advantage. He gives a yellow and Zabaleta doesn't commit two more cynical fouls in the second.

I do have a question for PoP though, why is Skrtel grappling and holding Kompany on every set piece, why doesn't he back himself to win the header and just go for that? Or is this some zonal, man marking fine line?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:48:50 pm »
I think when it comes down to quality, they have some players who are marginally better than some of our players when it comes down to holding and passing the ball. For example, Sakho and Aly disappeared in the middle of the second half because they were making silly mistakes and giving the ball away and our midfield stopped giving the ball to them unless necessary. We didn't have quality coming off the bench, I would've have loved to see Gerrard and Sturridge coming on in the second, we would've routed their defence if it were the case.

The referee was inclined to play in favor the home team and I didn't understand some of his decisions when it came to cynical fouls. For example, that counter we had when Coutinho missed the chance, there were three or four clear fouls and at least two yellows just in that passage but he ignored it all because he was playing advantage. He gives a yellow and Zabaleta doesn't commit two more cynical fouls in the second.

I do have a question for PoP though, why is Skrtel grappling and holding Kompany on every set piece, why doesn't he back himself to win the header and just go for that? Or is this some zonal, man marking fine line?

That's nothing to do with tactics. That's just habit. A lot of defenders do it. His biggest problem is he doesn't compete for headers. That is almost as bad as giving a free header.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:49:46 pm »

I have one as well actually, for anyone really. Quite clearly we were working hard today - how much will it affect us for the Chelsea and Hull games? From our performance today, we don't have anything to fear but on the physical side?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 07:53:56 pm »
I have one as well actually, for anyone really. Quite clearly we were working hard today - how much will it affect us for the Chelsea and Hull games? From our performance today, we don't have anything to fear but on the physical side?

It depends on what we do in between the games. If we train at a high intensity, we'll be in trouble. If Rodgers eases off and we just do recovery work, we should be fine. Chelsea will be a lower intensity game too, as they'll sit off us more than City did.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:48:17 pm »
It depends on what we do in between the games. If we train at a high intensity, we'll be in trouble. If Rodgers eases off and we just do recovery work, we should be fine. Chelsea will be a lower intensity game too, as they'll sit off us more than City did.

Best thing to do would be just recovery work in my opinion, just work on some boards, tactical homework and get the players, especially the midfield, ready for how to make a donkey out of Mikel and Lampard, who will probably be holding hands with Terry and Cahill they will be sitting that deep.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 01:10:03 am »
thought we were brave, skillful and unlucky

two poor goals to concede but we created enough good chances of our own and stood toe to toe with them all game

first time this season I've thought we genuinely have  a chance of top 4 - our defence though needs improvement, has done all season - set pieces again, our composure when pressed both still are not good enough

bizarely for  a team that has scored so many I also think our finishing needs to improve - and we need more goals from midfield

johnson continues to cause concern - is the lad carrying  a knock or is he shot for some other reason - there is none of the verve he used to play with but plenty of the lack of concentration he has suffered from before - come on lad get yer finger out, you're a better player than you've shown for the last month.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

royhendo

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:27 am »

Finished our chances, defended our corners better, and not flapped at the ball like Kenny Everett's preacher at a helium beach ball. ;)

A tremendous performance. Sterling was absolutely central to it too. We are tantalisingly close to having all the tools we need. The only other sides we've seen go there and put in a performance on or above that level have been Bayern Munich and Dortmund. So that's the genuine level we can aspire to, and all we have to do is bolster our squad, bolster the resilience of our belief and confidence, and keep it going. We'll be in the top four unless Man Utd muster the kind of form they've shown no sign of mustering thus far.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »

Cheers. I presume that's what we'll do then. And the same for the Hull game.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
Cheers. I presume that's what we'll do then. And the same for the Hull game.

Looking at the training pictures for today, all but Aspas and Mignolet seem to have been given the day off. So probably light session tomorrow (and really, should be rehearsing set-pieces) and fresh for the Chelsea game. We looked a lot better in the second half of an intense game against City than we did against United and Villa early in the season. The training schedule looks to be doing its work again, although we're possibly suffering from the more intense pre-season with the muscle injuries we keep getting.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »
That's nothing to do with tactics. That's just habit. A lot of defenders do it. His biggest problem is he doesn't compete for headers. That is almost as bad as giving a free header.

Isn't part of it stopping their more dangerous players from getting a run at the ball and getting airbourne and winning balls that clear the man at the near post. The difference between Kompany heading the ball 7ft off the deck or heading the ball 8 or 9ft off the ground. If the attacking team fire the ball in flat then the man at the near post should be stopping the ball getting to Kompany and if they chip it in with more trajectory then the keeper should have time to come for it.

On the flipside Kompany was doing the same thing to Skrtel at our corners but it wasn't getting past the men at the front post and if it did Hart was looking to make it his. For me Lucas who is on front post duties is good in the air if he can get a run at the ball but too often gets caught underneath the ball at corners. For me we are missing Gerrard who is the usual front post man. I think Skrtel can do better but he should also expect more from those around him.

This illustrates the problem for me.

If Skrtel is stopping Kompany from getting a clean run at the ball shouldn't Lucas and the keeper be doing better. The other thing is Sakho being left two on one at the back post and not dealing with either player.

Again for the second goal Skrtel gets it in the neck but at times he was a one man defence with Sakho getting suckered up the pitch and getting taken out of the game by simple passes. This should of been a warning just before the goal when Skrtel ended up 2v1 with Fernandinho and Negredo and made a terrific block on the latter.

The question for me is do we allow Skrtel and Sakho the time to get used to each other or do we need to make changes because at times they are defending in completely different ways.

Other than that I thought we were excellent overall and played some breathtaking stuff at times. Onwards and upwards.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »
This illustrates the problem for me.

I was wondering about this in the morning, and having seen this image, I'm wondering why Mignolet didn't just come off the line and punch it away or even catch it. It is not like he had another player in front of him blocking the path or 'marking' him.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
Bump
Yep.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »
Close game and we performed well.

First time in a while our lack of depth came back to bite us - did anyone seriously think Aspas or Moses would change the game coming on off the bench?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »
Close game and we performed well.

First time in a while our lack of depth came back to bite us - did anyone seriously think Aspas or Moses would change the game coming on off the bench?

Most players coming off the bench don't change the game, so although you're correct, it's not outside of the norm for that to be the case. We didn't create anything for Aspas anyway, so there's no knowing if it would have been different had Sturridge been available.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »
he doesn't appear to set himself up correctly for headers. I was always thought to be positioned to get between the ball and the man and to win the ball in front of the defender, not trying to compete from behind. Martin is forever starting from an inferior position, then grappling and shirt pulling. He is a a liability as far as set pieces are concerned.

Wouldn't he be better having his back to goal as a starting position, with the ball and his man within his peripheral vision?  (essentially standing with his body open at 90 degrees)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 08:33:18 pm »
he doesn't appear to set himself up correctly for headers. I was always thought to be positioned to get between the ball and the man and to win the ball in front of the defender, not trying to compete from behind. Martin is forever starting from an inferior position, then grappling and shirt pulling. He is a a liability as far as set pieces are concerned.

Wouldn't he be better having his back to goal as a starting position, with the ball and his man within his peripheral vision?  (essentially standing with his body open at 90 degrees)

Absolutely. And then jumping with his man.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »
This may look weird but i felt better after that defeat than with some wins in the past, why you may ask?

We went to City with many in here seeing this as mission impossible after all they took Spurs and Arsenal apart and were scoring for fun. However what i witnessed was a young squad who did not freeze with the enormity of the game. A young team who took the game too them, i saw in Henderson a player who grew into the game and generally bossed their midfield for long periods in each half.

I saw some wonderful work between Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho as if they had been playing as a unit for years and not weeks. I saw us take the lead and for sure should have increased it, this was i say again at the home of City and all of that was against a  team that i feel might win the league.

I saw except for a stupid 10 minutes Sakho putting in a great job at the back, yes we still have one or two blemishes in our game,  we gifted them both goals, but they were the team relieved to hear the final whistle knowing that was the hardest game for them at home this season.

i felt we are not quite the team Brendan wants yet but we are not that far off and getting closer  to it every game.

I also feel the Team Spirit amongst those lads is the best i have seen in years at this club and we are all  in it together again, Fans, Team , Manager  which is as it should be.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 08:37:01 pm »
Maybe Skrtel should be attacking the ball as a primary measure?
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
I was wondering about this in the morning, and having seen this image, I'm wondering why Mignolet didn't just come off the line and punch it away or even catch it. It is not like he had another player in front of him blocking the path or 'marking' him.

From what i've seen (well only recently because i've been looking for it) is that Mignolet doesn't like to come for things too often in a crowded area.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »
Maybe Skrtel should be attacking the ball as a primary measure?
The thing is, so many players grab their man's shirt from set pieces. The problem for me is not necessarily that he's grabbing Kompany's shirt in the first place because he's trying to stop him getting free. But at the point the ball starts coming in from the corner, he's STILL grabbing it. At that point Kompany wasn't even on the run. Once the ball is coming in, he should've been concentrating on attacking the ball instead of pointlessly grappling Kompany's shirt.

I've done a 4,000 word match review for the Anfield Index that will be going up on their site soon so I'll post the link in here when it goes up, if that's ok?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:37 pm »
I was conflicted for so much of the game, unhappy to be losing but happy that we were doing it with such panache. We didn't seem to press as aggressively as the Spurs game, possibly through concern that they'd play around us and break, but the pressing we did employ worked well and won us the ball a few times.

Sterling probably had his best game for us so far, not only was he bursting ahead of Luis at every opportunity he was coming inside looking for space, beating his full-back and trying to thread the odd pass here and there too. His miss was a little unfortunate but he's a teenager, it happens. The relationship between Suarez, Sterling, Countinho and Henderson has really flourished too, if we bring in any new faces they'll have a job forcing their way into the team.

I thought the left of the defence did well against what is usually a pretty rampant City attack, Cissokho performed well and was very vocal in demanding help and Sakho was excellent aside from an odd couple of minutes. Skrtel looked a bit shaky, I'd guess due to City attacking so fast that we couldn't get our defence in place quickly enough, and Jonhson just doesn't look right at the minute. I wouldn't mind seeing Toure alongside Sakho soon but I do think we need to stick with a consistent defensive partnership sooner or later.

The attack was awesome. Luis was excellent, working hard to assist others as both Kompany and Lescott were roughing him up a bit, the rest had some good chances but unfortunately just weren't clinical enough. Over the next couple of seasons I can see that improving but as it stands we do have a really young group and you have to expect they won't be really efficient in front of goal.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 08:53:33 pm »
Absolutely. And then jumping with his man.
Alger often positions himself correctly at 90 degrees, though he is not the meanest in the air.

All in all, it was an awesome performance, we deserved at least a draw, but the officials were terrible. Any free kick we did get was out of range for Suarez to score... I'd say a draw is fairest, we created the better chances, though city were very strong.

Our passing was crisp a lot of the time, though we have a few week links in our team as far as passing and indeed possession is concerned (skrtel, sissohko, and sometimes sahko)

I'm not sure what's going on with Johnson, again he was not defending crosses and was lacklustre with the ball. The sooner he can be dropped, the better.

I'm being a little negative here I know, yet I'm utterly proud of the lads. What really really needs to be addressed is our defending of set pieces, we seem to be saying this daily on this forum, but it just doesn't seem to be addressed by the coaching staff. I was watching the match with my aul lad and I remember telling him that if city have done their home work, they will be targeting us from set pieces and we will concede here. Predictably so, we did! Sort it out lads.

Sterling is getting better and better, Suarez despite not getting a shot off plated a great game.. Coutinho was great too, though held onto the ball a little too long at times. The midfield had a really daunting task and should be commended for going toe to toe with fernandinho and Toure. Skrtel needs to cut out the shirt pulling and learn to deal with set pieces, he had some great moments otherwise.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:00 pm »
The thing is, so many players grab their man's shirt from set pieces. The problem for me is not necessarily that he's grabbing Kompany's shirt in the first place because he's trying to stop him getting free. But at the point the ball starts coming in from the corner, he's STILL grabbing it. At that point Kompany wasn't even on the run. Once the ball is coming in, he should've been concentrating on attacking the ball instead of pointlessly grappling Kompany's shirt.

I've done a 4,000 word match review for the Anfield Index that will be going up on their site soon so I'll post the link in here when it goes up, if that's ok?

I'd like to read that..

Now, I say this as a fan rather than a frame by frame analyst, but it appears that Skrtel sometimes doesn't even bother to look at the ball when defending, his primary aim seems to be blocking/grabbing his opponent, which seems a dangerous game, its only a matter of time before he gets penalised. Its not just the recent games as highlighted on TV but in seasons gone by he has this habit, which is why I've said before he always looks like he has a mistake in him.

Anyway this is the round table thread, so I felt by and large we preformed very well, Hendo and Allen in particular, Luis creating havoc up top and Sterling's movement giving them all sorts of problems.

City have the best squad in the PL no question, but I thought we more than gave them a game, without 3 of our 1st team regulars.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
A very brave performance, and fantastic to watch.  There seems to have been a switch that went off and the cautious, adaptive approach that Rodgers was using earlier in the season seems to have turned to doing what we do and believing it will work. Most teams at the Etihad will be terrified of Man City's counter-attack and so play extremely cautiously.  We just charged at them, and probably had the better overall chances. The difference between this loss and the world picking us as title favourites was the width of two goalkeeper gloves, one at each end.

The strange thing for me was that we were so competitive even with some obvious poor performances, Cissokho simply looked lost, Johnson a little dazed, and Sakho gambling on the river boat with and without the ball.  I really like the effect on Suarez of having the captain's armband, I thought he gave a very mature performance.  The new midfield were excellent, just holding your own against Man City is excellent.  Skrtel will be given a hard time because of Kompany's goal but I thought ironically that he made a better attempt to compete for the ball on that cross than he usually does.  Overall I thought he was excellent.

Coutinho is hurting my brain at the moment. In order to score goals you have to see possibilities on the pitch in a creative way and take risks to get success.  Great players see possibilities that others don't, and then they have the self-belief to take that risk.  Countinho plays just like that and he absolutely should, it's just that at the moment those risks don't seem to be working out as I would hope.  There's no doubt that Coutinho should feel free to shoot from twenty yards, it's just that he's not coming close to scoring when doing it at the moment.  Any time Countinho thinks he sees a through pass I want him to try to make the pass, and I know that most of the time it won't work out, but it is still frustrating when it doesn't. I also think he works harder defensively when the attacking part of his game is clicking.

4-1-4-1, three-quarter press, Henderson 1.5 positions, Sterling's pace vs. City defensive line, Sakho leaping out of line,etc..

For me, this game was very encouraging.

No more Moses.  Ever.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 09:31:44 pm »
Havimg had chance to watch the game again, I can take an awful lot of positives. For me going there was a big test and despite hurting over the loss I'm happy with the managers approach and the teams performance. Tactical analysis aside we are a strong team that can compete. Im thankful to Brendan for that as his teams work hard and play some fantastic football at times.   We are moving forward as a team and its good to see.  Rodgers is certainly fighting our corner and Im glad he said what he did re Lee Mason. I love seeing a figther and a grafter representing our club. Well done to all the players and of course the manager. We may have lost that battle but we look in good shpae to win a war.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »
We were outstanding in the game and extremely unlucky to get no reward. Ironically given the opposition you could argue that it was our best performance of the season. Sterling was the best I've seen him yet. Suarez was brilliant but that's hardly worth a mention at this stage. Everyone else did very well except for a blip from our keeper, and you'd have to wonder if Skrtel had attacked the ball instead of just the man, would he have stopped the goal?. Reasons for this type of defending I'll leave to those better qualified than me, but if I was buying his crimbo pressies I'd have got him a pair of mittens and a Van Halen cd. Other than that aspect of his game he did well. I hope he doesn't make a hero out of saint Terry in the next game.
It was our second real test after the Arsenal game and it really feels like a watershed performance. The only area that city wiped the floor with us was the strength of their bench and considering we were nearly wiped out by the two crooks a few seasons ago that's a fantastic achievement.

And as for Rodgers moaning. Sure it's not going to help but I'm glad to see him getting pissed off. He's got criticism in the past for being too nicey nicey. It just shows he's pissed off like the rest of us and how he's not just happy to see us play pretty football. It's not like Shanks Kenny or Rafa were always the model of discretion after every game.
We've responded well to defeats this year so more of the same please.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
what could we have done to win the game?coutinho continues to be very wasteful in front of goal,have no idea why,he should have put his foot thru the ball yestertday instead of trying to place it,he was far too near hart for that!as for skrtel,well,its obvious hes been coached to defend that way,whether brendan changes it im not sure but you would imagine hed have a word and we might see a change in skrtels marking on sunday.dont know what else we could have done to get the win,sterlings miss was bad but it was on the upward trajectory when he met it and a fraction of a second sooner sterling would have buried it,ala flanagan against spurs.i would be more worried after that if i was a chelsea fan as our attacking threat will worry the shit outa terry and the rest of the Chelsea defence.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 09:52:58 pm »
That erroneous offside call was just so costly. I still cringe thinking about it. Without it
- would've been 2:0 up in the first half.
- wouldn't have lost the game (at least).
- Sterling would've scored perhaps the biggest goal of his career, and booked a ticked to Brazil, and currently be on cloud 9 confidence wise.

Unf%$#^ingbelievable.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:34 pm »
That erroneous offside call was just so costly. I still cringe thinking about it. Without it
- would've been 2:0 up in the first half.
- wouldn't have lost the game (at least).
- Sterling would've scored perhaps the biggest goal of his career, and booked a ticked to Brazil, and currently be on cloud 9 confidence wise.

Unf%$#^ingbelievable.

None of those points are true.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
None of those points are true.

All are possible though.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 10:28:09 pm »
As much as people say it, seasons don't live or die by decisions like that. Nor, really, do games if we decide to forget the other 89 minutes. They are a blow and we could've gone 2-0 up but it had nothing to do with us conceding preventable goals, so we can't base the whole outcome of the game on it. Only say it was a disappointment.

Offline JG-7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:49 pm »
Apparently the lino who made that offside call was the same one that got dropped for telling Lescott to applaud the fans (in January, regarding ticket prices). Came across as a bit of a twat back then, hopefully he gets dropped for good now.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »
Despite the great performance and the honour in defeat, I'm still annoyed at the dropped points. I think most of it is a fear that one defeat could easily become two at Chelsea and then the pressure is on.  I know I shouldn't think that way as Rodgers has demonstrated time and again what a great motivator and tactician he is.  I just want us to stay in touch with the leaders as long as possible.

Very annoying to concede the goals we did. I don't fully understand why Skrtel was given the job of marking their main set piece goal threat when Sakho would surely have been stronger.  Can't fault Mignolet, he made an error but he's saved us enough times to chalk this down to one of those things.  I really respected how well we came out in the second half as the timing of their second goal could have killed our confidence completely.

In terms of what we could have done differently, it's down to individual errors rather than team performance or tactics.  We outplayed them for long periods and created arguably the best chances, but couldn't find the composure to put them away.  Frustrating, but it happens.

I was really impressed with the likes of Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Sterling and Suarez again. Coutinho scored a nice goal and could (should?) have done better with that chance at 1-1.  Thought he tired very early and struggled in the second half which is why I won't berate Rodgers for replacing him with Moses, although it's clear we need better options to come on from the bench.

Johnson again failed to deliver, which really has me wondering if he's off elsewhere. He just seems to be dialling it in and I'm not sure why.  I thought Cissokho looked good coming forward and was unfortunate to be up against a monster City right wing with little support.

Finally, I was delighted to see Rodgers make his comments at the end of the game. It deflected attention away from our defeat and onto himself and the officials. He'll probably get fined but it was a good move I reckon.

So, onto Stamford Bridge where Mourinho has never lost... I'll take that bet  ;)

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 10:56:38 pm »
I'm not sure that our midfield is working hard enough to offer easy out-balls to the back line when they come under pressure; I hope Sakho practises his long passing on the lino's guide dog;

Ironically, Moses has once again appeared to part the Red Sea - personally I think he has looked unplayable at times under Rafa and Martinez and we have the advantage of a bright and adaptable coach in being able to unlock that potential in our favour but patience is close to running out.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
As much as people say it, seasons don't live or die by decisions like that. Nor, really, do games if we decide to forget the other 89 minutes. They are a blow and we could've gone 2-0 up but it had nothing to do with us conceding preventable goals, so we can't base the whole outcome of the game on it. Only say it was a disappointment.
I agree. But I am thinking a bit beyond the single game. Beyond the 3 points lost. IMO It is certainly the case that decisions like that can have an exceptionally high(er) impact on a young team/players like ours. Think of Sterling. His form has been going upwards over the last little while, and scoring at the Etihad could've meant wonders for his confidence. With that goal in, and the way we played the first half, we could've nicked it (and all-else-equal would've had a draw). He's just 19, and coming to Etihad and stealing the show from the likes of Silvas, Nasris, Kompanys, is priceless for a player like Sterling. And you tell me it wouldn't have been easier for Hodgson (who already called Sterling into the national team) to believe he's a world cup material? To have that potential/opportunity basically  s t o l e n  away from you by an assistant referee is nothing short of unf$%#%@unbelievable.
Not surprised at all at our gaffer's comments after the game !!
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »
This game showed exactly how far we've come in such a short space of time, huge credit to Rodgers for creating a team that can truely compete with the top teams in the league. If we sort out our defending of set pieces we really could challenge (injuries permitting)

I do want to ask the more knowledgeable off this forum, would we have competed so well in the middle with a Lucas/Gerrard axis? Is Johnson doing enough to warrant his place once Flanagan returns?

Offline tossedandblown

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »
This may look weird but i felt better after that defeat than with some wins in the past, why you may ask?

We went to City with many in here seeing this as mission impossible after all they took Spurs and Arsenal apart and were scoring for fun. However what i witnessed was a young squad who did not freeze with the enormity of the game. A young team who took the game too them, i saw in Henderson a player who grew into the game and generally bossed their midfield for long periods in each half.

I saw some wonderful work between Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho as if they had been playing as a unit for years and not weeks. I saw us take the lead and for sure should have increased it, this was i say again at the home of City and all of that was against a  team that i feel might win the league.

I also feel the Team Spirit amongst those lads is the best i have seen in years at this club and we are all  in it together again, Fans, Team , Manager  which is as it should be.

what a ballsy performance that was.

In fact, for most of the game we played wonderful football at probably one of the strongest home sides in Europe.

There seems to be a real understanding developing between Suarez, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho & Sterling. And to think the average age of those 5 is what, 23?

If only we can sort out the defence then we can really go somewhere as a team.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 11:30:08 pm »
This game showed exactly how far we've come in such a short space of time, huge credit to Rodgers for creating a team that can truely compete with the top teams in the league. If we sort out our defending of set pieces we really could challenge (injuries permitting)

I do want to ask the more knowledgeable off this forum, would we have competed so well in the middle with a Lucas/Gerrard axis? Is Johnson doing enough to warrant his place once Flanagan returns?
not sure about the "knowledgeable" bit cos opinions are like arseholes,everyones got one...for my tuppence worth,i dont think we would have been as effective going forward with gerrard and lucas sitting deep.ive said it b4 but for rodgers footballing philosophy to work we need mobile,young energetic players in the centre to pass and move the ball quickly and im afraid gerrards legs wont enable him to do this.quick counter attacking play was/has been the hallmark of our history and if gerrard was a younger man then we would be steamrolling the prem this year.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 11:32:26 pm »
Although he didn't score, I thought Suarez put in a great performance. Lead the line brilliantly. Hassled all across the width of pitch. Reminded me of a big match away performance you'd see from the likes of Shearer. Defensively minded, closing the lost causes and sneaking a throw, or corner through determination, grit and strength.

His awareness, interplay and movement with Sterling and Coutinho was superb as well. The three clear cut chances in the first half were as good attacking sequences as you'll see this season.

Sterling too, what potential. Lightning pace, has a trick and the work ethic too. The miss was forgivable I thought.

Our pressing looks as good as anything in the league, just a slight, lack of experience definitely, and a little technique/strength. You can see that Lucas, Allen and Henderson, with help of Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling, are hunting in 2s and 3s and clearly have been coached as to the right times/situations to press.

Club spirit shines through too. Rogers has done a cracking job, 2, top class additions in the WTF, and, 1st - 3rd finish will be a distinct possibility.