Author Topic: The Fossa Dei Leoni sing You'll Never Walk Alone ... a special moment  (Read 34436 times)

Offline N33WEE

• Main Stander
  • ...and we come from Liverpool!
Cheers Rushian!!  My nerves are in bits at the minute anyway and that piece has just moved the goalposts even further. Cheers Milan! ;)
The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Offline RedVonSchked

• Alias Ted Turner
  • Main Stander
  • Six minutes of Red Fury!
Great post -- will heighten the enjoyment of the occasion next week. Man I wish I could be there!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:47:11 am by RedVonSchked »
Five old big ears hanging on the wall
Man U have only two, the arse have sweet fuck all

Offline red20

• Main Stander
  • is'nt this football lark great
i  could never remember the reason why i like Milan.  Thanks for reminding me Rushian an excellent post
"Bill Shankly 1913-1981 - He Made The People Happy"   And Bob made us even happier

Offline baz

• Legacy Fan
Should anyone want to listen to a longer version of the fans of the Curva Sud in glorious voice...its available on the online site of the echo.

Heres the link for everyone....i swear the excitement is reaching fever pitch...and theres still six days to go to the final. How am i going to cope from now till then...and i dont even want to think about the day itself. And listening to this will help get even more into the mood...i promise you. Ciao Amice.

http://www.liverpool.com/audio/milan.wma

Offline ckkj

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Can't wait for the 25th even more now

Offline Mystic Red

• Never too old to rock. May roll a bit more, but never too old to rock.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one Rushian. Sets the tone nicely. Two sets of the greatest supporters ever. Two of the best clubs ever. Should be some final. Believe though that No5 is finally coming home. Just a little ditty,,,,,,,,,
Come in No5. Your time is up.
We're drinking Anfield Red,
From the European Cup!

We've tasted the agony,
The ectasy too.
There's only one team in Liverpool,
The REDS NOT BLUE!

1,2,3 & 4
We're not content, we want some more!
5,6,7 & 8. We'll walk victorious through those gates!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
that was a brilliant read, very moving

thanks
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
Simply an excellent post. Didn´t know thay sang YNWA after Hillsborough....touching. Well done Milan fans.  Thanks very much Rushian!!

Just can´t wait the occasion next week.

:wave

Offline The Dog's Bollock

• Main Stander
You should send this round the national press. Give them something different than the same old crap. Sky news is running a story about fans travelling to Turkey and the usual stuff about preventing hooligans. It would be nice to see something like this in the press celebrating what is best about so many football fans.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spine tingling stuff.
I always knew about this but had searched high and low to hear/see it.

:scarf

Offline king_kenny

• Anny Roader
  • Meliora Hiq Sequamor
among all italian club supporter, AC Milan are the best. No doubt about it.
The Revenge Of The Mighty Reds

Mighty Morphin Rafa Rangers

"Game Well And Truly Over, And I Hate To Say That " -- Andy Bluesh** Gray

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
Never seen this article before.  A good read and thank you Milan.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Never seen this article before.  A good read and thank you Milan.

a timely bump for a great article.

Offline IamDave

• Gone back to bed! zzzzZZZZ
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All of you are the "Famous Atmosphere" - SING!!
Should anyone want to listen to a longer version of the fans of the Curva Sud in glorious voice...its available on the online site of the echo......
http://www.liverpool.com/audio/milan.wma

An excellent article, I've not read before, but this audio link (from 2005) is not found.
So these are meat pies.  What kind of meat exactly?

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
An excellent article, I've not read before, but this audio link (from 2005) is not found.
I've got it if you'd like a mail mate. Its 5 mb

Offline IamDave

• Gone back to bed! zzzzZZZZ
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All of you are the "Famous Atmosphere" - SING!!
I've got it if you'd like a mail mate. Its 5 mb

Sent you a PM.

Thanks to Andrew for that download - well worth hearing!
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 11:08:52 pm by IamDave »
So these are meat pies.  What kind of meat exactly?

Offline leopolis

• Boys Pen
I am an Milan fan..i hope than milan was win..
but i Thank you
ah qo http://forzamilancuorerossonero.forumfree.net/
This is an milan forum,There talk more about the final

Offline Fernick

• Boys Pen
I thank you guys for being so honest and I want to tell you that although I am a Milan fan I have always been amazed by the wonderful fans that liverpool fans are...Never have I seen fans as dedicated and attached as them (together with Milan fans of course) and I admire the fact that even after you were down 3-0 at halftime in the 2005 final, you were still singing YNWA during the half...and as we all know the God of football repaid you for your passion...I have to be honest I hope this does not repeat itself again in two days but I hope for a great match between the two teams and may the best one win (or the luckier)!

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Brilliant piece, can't believe I've never seen it.  Has any footage surfaced in the 2 years that have passed since this was written?  I've had a look on youtube but that's not shown anything up....... :thumbup

Offline grego

• Main Stander
  • Més que un club!
the milan fans sung this at the end of the game on wed, sadly though, as it is so distinct from our YNWA. it wasn't acknowledged.

still great mutual respect between 2 great clubs. as it should be.

forza milan!

Offline grego

• Main Stander
  • Més que un club!
the milan fans sung this at the end of the game on wed, sadly though, as it is so distinct from our YNWA. it wasn't acknowledged.

still great mutual respect between 2 great clubs. as it should be.

forza milan!

some amazing fossa dei leoni images here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKVrE4RH5k

Offline stejay

• Anny Roader
Good rendition

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
I wonder if the original footage is available anywhere
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
I'm spechless
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline professormamlok

• Main Stander
Friday, 23 May 2007.
San Siro Stadium, during the party to celebrate the European cup.

I was there, hardly to explain with words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQZwmkaSxk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:12:19 pm by professormamlok »
Athens, 23 May 2007.
She's back home.

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
A brilliantly written piece that everybody should read, especially the younger generation. What a show of solidarity - respect!
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
Friday, 23 May 2007.
San Siro Stadium, during the party to celebrate the European cup.

I was there, hardly to explain with words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQZwmkaSxk

brilliant
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
Re: The Fossa Dei Leoni sing You'll Never Walk Alone ... a special moment
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2007, 02:10:37 am »
Shame Diavolo isn't about, he was one of the main people part of the Fossa Del Leoni movement which has sinced disbanded, but most there members have joined the Brigatta Rossonneri led by "Il Barone"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:56:13 am by arfy05 »

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
Fantastic read. Brought back memories - some of which were of good times in Athens 6 weeks ago, and some not so good of 1989. I even remember watching the Milan - Real game on that wednesday night, think it was on sportsnight, and crying me eyes out.

I for one will never forget their actions, a sign of true class. Something very rare in our sport these days.
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 02:21:05 pm »
Great article. I'd love to see the footage.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 02:30:11 pm »
can't find that link which was posted...!!

it just comes up as cannot be found...!!!

any other links to this great tribute by the Milan fans...

thanks

Lemmo...
t.i.m...

Offline Gilly La

• shite speller, secure wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #71 on: August 2, 2007, 12:38:59 am »
There is a link in the Hillsborough forum.

EDIT Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrVfMRyoE0
FOLLER ME ON TWITTER YER WOOLS

@gillythinks

Offline Andy-j-07

• Kemlynite
  • Lower Centenaryite
« Reply #72 on: September 7, 2007, 12:59:23 am »
Fantastic  ;D
... and Arbeloa

Offline smith123

• Boys Pen
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2007, 01:18:38 am »
the article is really great, exciting

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2008, 05:29:39 pm »
One of the most moving and beautiful tributes ever from one set of fans to another. YNWA sung by The Fossa Dei Leoni support that day was a truly cathartic experience.
no coward soul is mine

Offline Redband

• Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2008, 02:42:25 pm »
Just seen this. Respect for the milan ultras.

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2008, 09:52:13 pm »
This is how the fans of the Curva Sud sing You'll Never Walk Alone today:

http://www.fdl.it/sound/fdl-you'll_never.mp3

It's a more original take on the song than other fans (many of the German, Dutch and *cough* Scottish clubs) who have faithfully echoed our rendition - the Milan fans have adapted the song and arranged their own version, turning it into a drum fuelled, staccato chant. It's uniquely Italian. Uniquely Milanese.

The Fossa Deo Leoni, their Ultras, have also produced a CD called ‘Da Liverpool a San Siro la leggenda continua’ (From Liverpool to San Siro the legend lives on) including live chants recorded at Anfield and at the San Siro (which I think is available from Johnny Mac over on RAOTL, thanks to his long established links with the Milan fans).

But it's another version of YNWA sang by the Milan fans that I want to talk about. It remains one of my most enduring (and emotional) memories in football. I was watching BBC's Sportsnight four days after Hillsborough. Numb to the bone as everyone was, I think it was my desperate attempt to find some football and to find some meaning to it all.

The programme was to throw up something so special it counteracted the absolute vile published by The S*n that very morning, a bile-inducing tissue of lies that saw us rushing to burn copies in the street or throw up in the nearest gutter.

Milan were playing Real Madrid in the second leg of the European Cup that night, having drawn 1-1 away. This was the great Milan, Sacchi's masterpiece (and as he later admitted, modelled on our four-time European Cup winning team) with the beautiful Dutch trio of Rijkaard, Van Basten and Gullit spearheading Baresi and Maldini's magnificent defence.

The mood on the TV show was perfunctory - football hardly seemed to matter, the presenter and commentators were on autopilot. I sat there, desperately clinging onto my latest crutch measuring 40% by volume, staring blankly at my black and white portable screen.

The game kicked off and not long in the referee blew his whistle and picked up the ball. It was a signal for a minute's silence. I, like many others I'm sure, was confused. I watched on as the the San Siro fell silent. Then slowly, but surely, a very moving and note perfect rendition of YNWA started to rise from the Curva Sud gaining in intensity as the minute went on.

I burst into tears. There's tears in my eyes as I type this. It remains to this day the quintessential act of solidarity by one group of fans to another. The game continued and Milan ran Madrid ragged, winning 5-0 in one of the greatest performances in the history of the competition. Their players and fans ascended to legendary status that night.

Because of that perfect act of kindness by the Milan fans in 1989 they have always had the utmost repsect by Liverpool fans (especially of my age). Of all the many  things said and done by football fans all over the world after Hillsborough it remains for me the most moving, and unexpected moment.

This is how the Milan fans remember the day:

http://www.milanmania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17693

c'è una canzone inglese che noi facciamo che è l'inno del Liverpool che è Walk on una canzone degli anni 60 che è stata presa dai tifosi del Liverpool come loro inno col ritornello che dice

Walk on walk on
with hope in your heart
and you'll never walk alone
you'll never walk alone

c'era uno di noi che aveva il disco con questi cori che lì da loro non c'è nessuno che li dirige col microfono partono spontaneamente parte questo Walk on che sembra un urlo che viene da lontano e così noi abbiamo cercato di impararla abbiamo dovuto fare i foglietti con su com'era scritto perché molti dicevano Welcome cioè benvenuto invece di Walk on camminiamo abbiamo spiegato che cosa voleva dire e tutto quanto finché siamo riusciti a impararla questa canzone e ci ha resi famosi in tutta Europa perché l'abbiamo fatta quando sono morti i tifosi del Liverpool schiacciati contro le transenne a Sheffield è successo al sabato e noi domenica avevamo la partita col Real Madrid di Coppa dei campioni che abbiamo vinto 5 a 0 una partita memorabile

avevamo preparato uno striscione con scritto SHEFFIELD YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE c'era il minuto di silenzio e noi eravamo pronti per fare la canzone e mettere fuori lo striscione invece l'arbitro uno svedese ha fatto iniziare subito la partita noi mettiamo fuori lo striscione ma la cosa sembrava finita li poi però di colpo lui ferma il gioco e si mette la palla ai piedi per il minuto di silenzio cazzo io lì in quel momento non avevo neanche il microfono sono salito sulla transenna e senza microfono come fanno loro siamo partiti con questa canzone c'ho il video a casa ogni tanto lo rivedo e mi viene la pelle d'oca tutti i giocatori sull'attenti poi si sente tutto lo stadio in piedi a applaudire si vede l'arbitro che guarda verso di me perché sente il coro si vede benissimo il coro che sale And you'll never walk alone anche adesso che lo dico mi emoziono l'hanno fatto vedere per 6 mesi su tutte le reti inglesi almeno una volta al giorno lo facevano vedere sono arrivate tante di quelle lettere di tifosi inglesi voi siete dei veri amici e per tutta la vita noi saremo sempre vostri amici

Leoni armati
stiam marciando
siam la FOSSA DEI LEON...
dei..leon..leon..leon...
leon...leon...
siam la FOSSA DEI LEON !!!
sangue ! violenza!
FOSSA DEI LEONI !!!
Milan ! Milan ! Milan !

This is a translation from matty on ynwa.tv:

There is an English song we sing which is the Anthem of Liverpool, a song from the 60s with a chorus that goes:

Walk on walk on
with hope in your heart
and you'll never walk alone
you'll never walk alone

One of us had the record with these words, but for them (Liverpool) there is nobody who leads with the microphone, the words seem to come like a shout from afar. So we have tried to learn the words using a printed sheet because many said 'welcome' instead of 'walk on' and also what the words actually meant. We succeeded in learning the song and it made us famous in all Europe because we sang it when the Liverpool fans died at Sheffield and we played Real Madrid in the Semi final of the Champions cup won 5-0.

We had prepared a banner with Sheffield You'll Never Walk Alone. There was the minute's silence and we were ready to unfurl the banner and sing the song but instead the Swedish referee started the game immediately. We unfurl the banner but the moment seemed lost, but then the referee stopped play and began the [f***ed up] silence. At that moment I didn't even have a microphone, we started as they (liverpool) do with the song. I have the video at home and every so often I look at it again, my hair stands up, all the players and crowd applaud and the referee looks towards me because it is so well known, this song, and the chorus rises 'you'll never walk alone' and it was shown so many times on the English TV networks, and I received many letters from English fans. You are true friends and we are always your friends.

Armed Lions!
We are marching
We are the Lion's cave
the lions, lions, lions, lions
We are the lion's cave
Blood! Violence!
The Lion's cave!
Milan! Milan! Milan!

The 25th May 2005 will see the meeting of two great clubs and two great sets of fans in Istanbul. It's the first time the two clubs have met in a competitive match, yet it smells, feels, tastes and sounds like THE classic fixture, THE gran clasico of European football. Let's remember that day back in 1989, let's both sing You'll Never Walk Alone and let's show the world how special football can be.

© Rushian 2005

Fantastic piece - bump.
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2009, 01:49:15 pm »
another bump.

There is a link in the Hillsborough forum.

EDIT Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrVfMRyoE0

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »
Updated the broken links in the original post
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »
Thanks.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.