Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #9 - Sami Hyypiä 20/3/2004  (Read 4927 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #9 - Sami Hyypiä 20/3/2004
« on: December 7, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »
Like socks are for Christmas, tickets for the match are for birthdays. My next door neighbour and my son share the same birthday in March so who better to accompany me to see Wolves visit Gerard Houllier’s mighty Reds on 20 March 2004. We arrived early and settled in for a goal-fest to be observed from our excellent seats half way up the centre right of the Kop.

Liverpudlian Dave jones brought his relegation threatened side which consisted of ex-Reds Paul Ince, Mark Kennedy and keeper Paul Jones who always receives a rapturous applause from the Kop for his valued loan-spell in goal for us.

Houllier fielded the same side that beat Portsmouth 3-0 in midweek, but his team had been inconsistent all season and were battling for 4th place with Newcastle and Charlton! The starting 11 were Dudek, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Biscan, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell, Murphy, Heskey, Owen:

Wolves entered this game with a goal difference of -32, the worst in the league, however neither their league position nor inclination to concede goals cheaply was reflected by their display at Anfield. Ince & Rae set about Liverpool with some fierce tackling while Henri Camara threatened us with his pace on the counter. The severe blustery conditions added to the chaos of the afternoon.

Although Liverpool dominated and pressed, they didn't have it all their own way, they played poorly which aided Wolves resilience. Both sides had chances with Owen shooting wide for the Reds and Kenny Miller hitting a 20-yarder just wide of the post which left Dudek struggling to reach.  Jody Craddock brought down Heskey for a certain penalty to be denied disgracefully by referee Rob Styles, a decision that infuriated Gerard Houllier.

Liverpool failed to improve in the second half, our build up play was scrappy trying to force ourselves on to Wolves, but we also came under pressure when Camara forced Dudek to tip a low shot round the post. On the hour, Houllier made a double substitution exchanging Heskey and Kewell for Milan Baros and El-Hadji Diouf. Baros' got involved quickly putting a low cross from the right which Owen met but touched it  wide. Wolves were on the back-foot without really being threatened by us as we’d been wasteful all afternoon. Houlliers final roll of the dice was to sub Murphy for the youth of Pongolle after 84 minutes but by now the Anfield faithful were beyond anxious. It was unthinkable, indeed unacceptable that we could drop 2 points in this game, but the clock edged rapidly to the 90th minute mark as the souls of Kopites drained of energy and became consumed by anxiety. The 4th official indicated there’d be a further 3 minutes of agony.

Then, in the 92nd minute, Liverpool won a corner at the Kop end. Screams of “COME ON” bellowed and reverberated around Anfield probably more in hope than expectation. It wasn’t our day, was it?.

The Kop took to their feet as the wind howled as loud as our encouragement.
Steven Gerrard trotted over to take the corner as Sami Hyypia strolled up and positioned himself ominously in Wolves penalty box. Many of the Wolves players gathered at the near-post so the corner-kick had to be a decent one.
The ball was whipped over untraditionally effectively by Steven Gerrard’s corner-kick standards, and if you could pray, plan or dream of anyone getting on the end of it, it would always be one person – Sami Hyypia. Despite the speed of the ball Sami rose and met it perfectly as he was hustled by no fewer than 3 Wolves players. The pace of the corner and a strong header from Sami forced the ball in to roof of the net which ripped beautifully to the delight of the crowd. I’m certain that if the net hadn’t been there the power of the header would have carried the ball up to land on my lap in my superb vantage point on the Kop. We couldn’t have had a better view of Sami’s winner.

The goal is in this compilation after 50 seconds......
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzqtfRwrSqI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EzqtfRwrSqI?fs=1</a>

To some observers from the moment the ball left Steven’s foot to it rippling the net an hour had passed, to others it happened so quickly their astonishment nearly muted their celebrations. The enormity of what Sami had done can be measured by the scenes of arms waving, fists pumping and people jumping thunderously all over the stadium.
I’ve stood on the Kop many times, many have stood on it many times more than me, but not many will have experienced that eruption of relief. It was a different celebration to perhaps the Garcia goal against Chelsea – that was one of joy and delight, but this was a collective outburst of sheer relief, an outpour of tangible gratitude that we hadn’t squandered more points and had finally silenced the vociferous away support.

After smashing the ball in to the net for his twentieth goal in a red shirt, Hyypia’s momentum took him to the corner of the Kop by the Main Stand where he was overwhelmed by his team mates. Meanwhile, with hands on hips the Wolves players looked at each other despondent and distraught. How can a game of football be so cruel?

I’m not advocating by any means this is my favourite LFC goal – it isn’t, but Sami had lost the captaincy to Gerrard earlier that season. A decision that seemed to spur Stevie to another level of football but which did not affect Hyypia’s professionalism and commitment to the cause. He’d suffered a nasty blow to the head during the game and left the field with a swelling on his forehead. He went on to score an amazing 23 goals for the club which added to the reasons why he was one of Liverpool’s best centre-backs for a generation and is regarded as a club legend.

So, Wolves resistance had been broken and a precious and probably well-earned point had been snatched from them rewarding Liverpool with an essential 3-points to move us in to 4th place – 28 points behind leaders Arsenal and 16 points behind 3rd place Man Utd. A gap that illustrated another inconsistent and disappointing season which eventually cost the manager his job.
Nonetheless, these were 3 vital points which would contribute to us qualifying for the 2004/05 Champions League!

Liverpool                         Wolves
3   Shots On Target          5
11   Shots Off Target        3
3   Blocked Shots             2
14   Corners                    4
7   Fouls                         14
2   Offsides                     3
0   Yellow Cards               1
0   Red Cards                  0
26.75   Average age of starting 11     29.33
4th   League position after the game   19th

And this is what the greats of the club have to say about Sami….
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/a-career-in-quotes-sami-hyypia

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #9 - Sami Hyypiä 20/3/2004
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
Lovely read mate, was thinking about writing about his goal v Juve, but this is wonderfully put. He was a great player and a greater Liverpool player.
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2014, 12:03:00 am »
9th in the series for your delights :)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2014, 10:11:42 am »
Nice one!
Interesting point that without this goal Istanbul maybe never happens. Thank you again, Sami.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2014, 10:45:40 am »
great stuff

Sami is probably my all time favourite Liverpool player and i have his name on 3 shirts. He was brilliant for us
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2014, 10:51:07 am »
Somehow my parents got tickets in the Directors Box for this - I can remember them saying what an absolutely dreadful game that was! The second half of that season was a bit of a slog, I think we had recently gone out of the Cup away at Portsmouth but we thankfully churned out enough wins to sneak 4th. We were fighting with Newcastle who were as bad as us and a defeat for them away at Southampton gifted us 4th before we had to play them on the final day.

Around this time we lost at home to Charlton (Shaun Bartlett?) on Easter Monday, we really were in a bit of a turgid rut at this point. Still, you can't beat a last minute winner and sometimes the more undeserved it is, the sweeter it feels!

Sami really was a good weapon in the air wasn't he?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
Somehow my parents got tickets in the Directors Box for this - I can remember them saying what an absolutely dreadful game that was! The second half of that season was a bit of a slog, I think we had recently gone out of the Cup away at Portsmouth but we thankfully churned out enough wins to sneak 4th. We were fighting with Newcastle who were as bad as us and a defeat for them away at Southampton gifted us 4th before we had to play them on the final day.

Around this time we lost at home to Charlton (Shaun Bartlett?) on Easter Monday, we really were in a bit of a turgid rut at this point. Still, you can't beat a last minute winner and sometimes the more undeserved it is, the sweeter it feels!

Sami really was a good weapon in the air wasn't he?
yeah we did struggle alright

actually you just reminded me some lad had a €100 quid bet with me that we wouldnt finish in the top 4, i never got paid

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2014, 11:04:04 am »
yeah we did struggle alright

actually you just reminded me some lad had a €100 quid bet with me that we wouldnt finish in the top 4, i never got paid

I'll take a €25 cut of that ta.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2014, 11:07:33 am »
I'll take a €25 cut of that ta.
out of 0? aint getting it now pal haha

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2014, 11:19:01 am »
I'll be honest, I don't even remember this one. Great write-up though, what we'd give for Sami now.

Hope he can turn it around at Brighton.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2014, 11:43:44 am »
What a memory?! 2003-2004 season was topsy turvy. In life 3 different jobs in the space of that season.

Sami Hyppia will always be a heroic figure for me. I vowed to change jobs after this match as I hated my then manager :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
Top stuff! One of those goals I would have never remembered if it had not been your story! Thank you for that and great as usual :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2014, 01:44:31 pm »
Excellent story John.   Thank you.  A superbly written piece.  Sami was one of our greats and you have done him proud.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2014, 02:45:02 pm »
Great read that, many thanks.

Who'd have thought a guy from Willem II no one had heard of would have turned out to be such a legend. Love the man 8)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2014, 02:53:47 pm »
Great read that, many thanks.

Who'd have thought a guy from Willem II no one had heard of would have turned out to be such a legend. Love the man 8)

Not sure how the Transfer Committee ever sanctioned that one!...

When I read we had signed him I thought a) who the fuck is this guy and b) presumably he'll be back up to Rigobert Song. Always been a good judge!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2014, 03:03:05 pm »
Not sure how the Transfer Committee ever sanctioned that one!...

When I read we had signed him I thought a) who the fuck is this guy and b) presumably he'll be back up to Rigobert Song. Always been a good judge!
I remember that summer well. We did some great business...

Sami Hyypiä
Titi Camara
Sander Westerveld
Stéphane Henchoz
Dietmar Hamann
Vladimír Šmicer

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2014, 03:16:28 pm »
Terrific that John. Great stuff.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
I remember that summer well. We did some great business...

Sami Hyypiä
Titi Camara
Sander Westerveld
Stéphane Henchoz
Dietmar Hamann
Vladimír Šmicer

Three out of 6 went on to win the Champions League. Two others also won the Treble. Not a bas strike rate looking back.

You missed off Erik Meijer though!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2014, 06:25:58 pm »
One of the few games I was able to go to back then. Pretty much only got to 1 game a season around those times due to having to use rip off companies like Thomas Cook, Ulsterbus etc. We always picked a game near the end of March due to my birthday being 22nd, and my mates in 31st, so we decided on this one.

Certainly one of the more frustrating games I've been to down the years. The Heskey penalty incident and the goal are really the only 2 things I remember about the game itself. We were in Upper Anny. Had a great view of the tackle on Heskey, but to be fair, it seemed like he dallied for fucking ages on the ball. Should have got his shot away pretty much one on one with the keeper but fucked around taking a few extra touches. Definitely a pen though. The goal was indeed just sheer relief, and the Oh Sami Sami chant that went up after it was class.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:46 am »
Nice one, John C. I hoped someone had a Sami goal but that was an unexpected one.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »
Had forgotten that one thanks and Sami was some player for us.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway