Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 191443 times)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2015, 12:20:13 am »
How does the MLS compare to other leagues in terms of speed and technical skill? How would the best MLS teams fare in Serie A and La Liga?

Technically it's quite poor but the league is pretty fast paced. Laughable defences overall.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2015, 11:22:05 pm »
Stevie in an embarrassing promo for Chevrolet,  but the bird in green makes it worthwhile.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7oH2Xc3oM
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2015, 02:22:08 pm »
How does the MSL work.

A brief summarry will be brialliant.

Thank you in advance :-)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »
How does the MSL work.

A brief summarry will be brialliant.

Thank you in advance :-)

20 teams (17 American & 3 Canadian) play 34 games over the season, which takes place between March & October. The team with the best record is award the "Supporters' Shield," basically their version of the PL title. Then there is the postseason playoffs, adopted from North American sport (NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL), for those who qualify in their respective divisions. The playoffs take place in November & December and the winner is award the "MLS Cup." There are also two separate domestic competitions, similar to the FA Cup & League Cup in England, where teams from other divisions (NASL & USL) lower down the ladder can against MLS teams; however, these domestic competitions are different for the US & Canada: US teams play in the "US Open Cup," Canadian teams in the "Canadian Championship." The winners of these various competitions get a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League, the equivalent of the UEFA Champions League for North & Central American and Caribbean domestic sides.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:33:58 pm by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2015, 02:57:33 pm »
So we may get the chance to see another "...a lovely cushioned header..."?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2015, 03:00:04 am »
So we may get the chance to see another "...a lovely cushioned header..."?

Nah mate, Mellor hasn't moved to the MLS.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:51 pm »

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:49 pm »
Had Pirlo in his pocket today...

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2015, 12:28:09 am »
Had Pirlo in his pocket today...
little italians

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37:13 am »

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:47 am »
For those that have watched him, how has he been playing?

I know when he left he wanted to play in a more attacking position, is it getting this opportunity or is he still playing centrally?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2015, 03:20:18 pm »
For those that have watched him, how has he been playing?

I know when he left he wanted to play in a more attacking position, is it getting this opportunity or is he still playing centrally?

Watched the game the other day, he was still quite deep but seemed to join the attack when he wants. Should have scored but he passed to Robbie Keane, only for Keane to pass it back and mess up the chance  ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »
Watched the game the other day, he was still quite deep but seemed to join the attack when he wants. Should have scored but he passed to Robbie Keane, only for Keane to pass it back and mess up the chance  ;D

Sounds familiar.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #173 on: September 2, 2015, 11:34:34 pm »
Just found this beaut from a couple of seasons ago ;D

https://vine.co/v/hL7bAEHEvAl

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 3, 2015, 12:12:07 am »
Just found this beaut from a couple of seasons ago ;D

https://vine.co/v/hL7bAEHEvAl

God I miss that man.

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: September 8, 2015, 01:02:28 pm »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 8, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »
Stevie tells LA Galaxy Academy class he regrets not valuing education.

Video of the entire speech at link below.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=231

"I wish my qualifications were better. I wish I had another language to speak. When I think of education, I never put enough in, and that's a regret I have. From a football point of view, I’ve got no regrets … but I do actually wish that I committed more in the classroom."
« Last Edit: September 8, 2015, 06:00:29 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 8, 2015, 06:02:31 pm »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 8, 2015, 06:43:53 pm »
Good to see the legend enjoying his time in the States. Hope he is enjoying the sunshine.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #179 on: September 9, 2015, 10:28:23 am »
Stevie tells LA Galaxy Academy class he regrets not valuing education.

Video of the entire speech at link below.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=231

"I wish my qualifications were better. I wish I had another language to speak. When I think of education, I never put enough in, and that's a regret I have. From a football point of view, I’ve got no regrets … but I do actually wish that I committed more in the classroom."

That's something you don't hear too often in the sporting context and it's something that you wonder about when you're giving these young people enormous salaries and throwing them into the spotlight - are they equipped to handle this sort of lifestyle? I hope more kids take Stevie's advice because an education isn't something you should skip out on for any amount of money.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #180 on: September 9, 2015, 12:11:10 pm »
That's something you don't hear too often in the sporting context and it's something that you wonder about when you're giving these young people enormous salaries and throwing them into the spotlight - are they equipped to handle this sort of lifestyle? I hope more kids take Stevie's advice because an education isn't something you should skip out on for any amount of money.

More so for the massive percentage who don't go on to make it at a high level. They'll have forsaken their education to but then been thrown back on the scrapheap in their late teens or early twenties with not a huge amount to fall back on.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 9, 2015, 05:21:22 pm »
Well, he says that education is important, but then you see him renting a multimillion dollar mansion at the sacrifice of such an education, and it becomes a mixed message. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #182 on: September 9, 2015, 05:23:26 pm »

The education side of things makes up a massive part of the Academy these days, not so much when Gerrard was a lad.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 9, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »
Besides, nothing's stopping him now completing his studies. 35's only 'old' in footballing terms, easy to forget that, academic work / improvement only ever stops when you die.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 9, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »
I think the point is it doesn't have to be a sacrifice. I'm sure Stevie was determined to make it and convinced he would, but I mean a lot of people don't try in school, and despite his success, he wishes he had because he feels he's missed out on something.

It's a good message. One parents should be aware of as much as their athletically talented kids.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 9, 2015, 06:02:44 pm »
Well, he says that education is important, but then you see him renting a multimillion dollar mansion at the sacrifice of such an education, and it becomes a mixed message. 

Well you either have to be smart and get an education or be ridiculously talented. If you're not one then it's advisable to get a decent education. I think that's the message he's trying to put across. Besides i'm sure at 35/36 he wants to branch out into other fields that involve some sort of business acumen which he might not have.

Offline andspecks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2015, 03:15:15 am »
"Steven Gerrard won’t return to Liverpool on loan in January, according to Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber.

The Kop legend, who joined LA Galaxy on an 18-month contract in July, is expected to train with Brendan Rodgers’ squad once the American season is finished in December.

David Beckham and Thierry Henry both had spells back in Europe when they were contracted to clubs in the States but Garber doesn’t expect Gerrard to play competitively for the Reds again.

“I don’t think so,” said Garber, who was speaking at the Soccerex convention in Manchester.

“And I had not heard that was something that was being contemplated."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gerrard-wont-return-liverpool-fc-10019618

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2015, 11:15:24 pm »
Expect a nice unsettling interview by him tomorrow. Nice way to destabilise the club and fans on the eve of a man u game.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2015, 09:43:41 am »
Expect a nice unsettling interview by him tomorrow. Nice way to destabilise the club and fans on the eve of a man u game.

Strange timing...

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:25 am »
Steven Gerrard: I would have stayed at Liverpool if offered a backroom role

• Chance to assist Brendan Rodgers would have kept midfielder at Anfield
• ‘Much as I enjoy my US challenge, I miss everything about the Premier League’

Steven Gerrard has revealed he would not have left Liverpool over the summer if he had been offered the chance to join the manager Brendan Rodgers’s backroom team.

Gerrard ended his long association with the club, whom he had been with since joining the academy aged nine, to move to Los Angeles Galaxy, having been in and out of Liverpool’s first team over the course of the 2014-15 season.

Yet the 35-year-old says he would have accepted a bit-part role and continued into his 18th season at Anfield had he been included in the coaching set-up, which was rejigged over the summer after the assistant Colin Pascoe was sacked and the first-team coach Mike Marsh was not offered a new contract.

Steven Gerrard has edge over Frank Lampard as MLS showdown looms
Nick Ames
 Read more
Instead, Sean O’Driscoll came in as Rodgers’s No2, while another former Liverpool midfielder, Gary McAllister, filled Marsh’s role.

“Ability-wise, I could still play but physically I couldn’t play every game at my age,” Gerrard said in the Daily Mail. “I didn’t enjoy being sub last season. I didn’t enjoy not knowing if I would be in the XI or not.

“I might be contradicting myself here but what would have kept me at Liverpool into this season was the chance of shadowing Brendan Rodgers and his staff as well as playing. Those ideas were only mentioned to me after I had announced I was leaving.

“I don’t know if I am going to be good enough to be a manager, or a No1, No2, No3 or No4. Liverpool replaced coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in the summer, so they were looking for a new No2 or No3, or No4. I would have been tailor-made to fill one of these roles as well as making myself available as a squad player.

“I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can’t buy.”

The former England midfielder, who had captained Liverpool for 12 years before his departure, admitted there are times he yearns to be back playing in the Premier League.

“Yeah, I do miss it. I miss everything about it,” he added. “When I switch on the TV and see the stadiums, with 50, 60, 70,000 people – the aggression, the intensity, the tension; I am jealous. I miss the buildup, competing with better players, I miss being Steven Gerrard, Liverpool captain, and walking out in front of my people with that pressure and trying to get a result for them.

“As much I am enjoying it out here, with a fresh challenge, I’d like nothing better than being 25 again and with 10 years ahead of me in the Premier League, playing for Liverpool, but I’ve had my time.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/11/steven-gerrard-liverpool-would-have-stayed

Not from that website so should be ok?

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2015, 10:02:00 am »
Surely his agent should of been making that clear to the club if that's what he wanted? To see if that was something we were able to offer before making a decision to go elsewhere?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
Strange timing...

Says he's gonna be "serializing his autobiography for the Daily Mail." If so, the timing would'nt have been up to him
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:45 am »
I really don't know why him and Carra give that rag so much of their time. Horrendous 'newspaper'.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2015, 10:40:26 am »
As nice as it would have been to have SG as part of the back room staff - it would have been a disaster. Rodgers was under immense pressure at the end of last season and will continue to be under scrutiny this season and any run of bad form will have fans calling for him to go. If SG had still been at the club when this happened it would only lead to people calling for SG to be manager which would be pure wrong.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16:01 am »
I think he's missing the club and is feeling some regret.  I can't really make sense of the changing of mind otherwise.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »
He can say what he wants, he's Steven Gerrard. We all know the Mail is a shithouse paper but these things happen, if they've bought the rights to his book then they've bought the rights. It's hardly going to be on the players minds, or Rodgers'. If it pisses Ayre off a little bit then surely nobody in here will care. :P
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline andspecks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »
Strange timing...
He's got a book coming out in two weeks, he hardly chose the timing at all. As if he would deliberately try and unsettle the club before a big game. Fans on here are laughable at times.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »
He's got a book coming out in two weeks, he hardly chose the timing at all. As if he would deliberately try and unsettle the club before a big game. Fans on here are laughable at times.

I didn't say it was his timing - I'm hardly likely to call out our best ever players intentions towards the club. I didn't realise the mail had the rights.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »
''I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can’t buy.”

Sounds simple enough, why didn't it happen? He must have signed the Galaxy contract pretty early in the season?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2015, 08:12:21 pm »
''I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can’t buy.”

Sounds simple enough, why didn't it happen? He must have signed the Galaxy contract pretty early in the season?

What managerial role would he have got? I'm pretty sure when he signed the contract with Galaxy no-one was considering letting go Rodgers team?