Author Topic: Round Table Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle  (Read 13754 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Round Table Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:33:21 am »
So another game that sees us have 1089% possession only for the away team *(oh and what's with the kicking toward the Kop first half all about, twats, no dignity trashy barcodes...) to score first courtesy of an OG, this time Agger...
Still we won, Bellamy looked good, Gerrard reminded us of the fact that actually yes we did miss you and those striding runs and by the way show off, that was some finish, teaching our expensive strike force a thing or two etc etc.

Thoughts as the year closes? Downing was bad and good. Johnson was bad and good. Carroll was bad and good and Stevie? Well, welcome back. He was good. (apart from his misplaced Hollywood passes).

Skrtel and Agger still look like they're getting better all the time, and though Adam was subdued and Bellamy gobby, we still for once posted a scoreline that didn't flatter us. Just reflected the game.

Happy New Year and that.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 12:08:13 pm by MichaelA »
Yep.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »
I said the other day that there was a rush to get Gerrard back and he proved yesterday why. The man is a phenomenon. You sometimes lose sight of how good a player is when you are watching them in the flesh, but sometimes you've got to sit back and take stock: Gerrard is immense.

Elsewhere, I thought Spearing was magnificent. Not only did he plug the proverbial gaps, he actually showed Henderson and Adam up in the passing department. Look at Gerrard's goal. Great interplay between Henderson and Stevie and a superb finish, but it was Spearing before that with a probing, forward ball that got Tiote and Cabaye turning back rather than shuffling sideward.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:19:42 pm »
All the best for 2012 lads.

I thought it was similar in ways to the Blackburn game. Again there was an over-insistence to go wide and knock in crosses, seemed a bit one dimensional. Bellamy showed the kind of clinical finish we've been missing for his goal. Would Downing, Carroll or even Suarez have belted that in, or snatched at it? As I said somewhere else, when Stevie came on we started to mix it up a bit - like he did at Blackburn - and play through the middle where we got two goals from.

Great way to end the year, and what a gang of dirty f**kers they were btw!
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:26 pm »
I agree with Spearing's passing, much under-rated. Short, medium and long he has the full repertoire, and unlike Adam and even Gerro he plays within himself, no Hollyowood passes. Yesterday I made a note of trying to compare him with Tiote who it is rumoured we are looking at. Tiote was very good on the ball, touch and speed also very good, held it well once in possession, decent short passing game, but anything over that and his game breaks down. Nowhere near a complete a player as Spearing. Of course you cannot tell much from one game. Tiote does look promising and maybe one for the future. Based on our needs we may need to improve on other parts of the team.

Gerrard's early balls into Carroll helped a lot. Our attacking play without him is quite slow and predictable, get it out wide, cross it to Carroll/Suarez. This gives opposing CB's ample time to set themselves. Gerrard's early delivery gives Carroll that bit more space, which is vital. Looked twice the threat with Gerrard on the pitch. The shocking touch when put through by Gerrard was worrying. Hopefully a confidence issue and a run of games and some goals and we should see a different Carroll.

Carroll's lack of movement, or making near-post runs, makes it quite dificult for our fullbacks and wingers to play him in. His spat with Enrique was telling, Enrique wanted him to make a run to the near post, but Carroll made his usual and easily anticipated drift towards the far-post, he then had a go at Enrique for not playing the outrageously more difficult ball. A simple run to the near post and he would have been in.

We came back from a goal down, got the result the performance deserved. Roll on 2012.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:26 pm »
Gerrard is an immense talent, one with the ability to have others raise their level of play. I think he makes me better even as I watch on television! He is the best buy of the transfer window. I can't imagine us dropping some of the points we have, in matches where we have dominated, with Steven in the side. Things are certainly looking up for 2012.

Happy New Year Reds!
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »
Great to see Stevie raring to go, really reminded me of how good he is that he can come on at the 60 minute mark and still pick up the man of the match award, scored one and could of had a couple of assists.Skrtel's clearance off the line was another highlight of the game for me, could of seenour headsdropping if that had gone in and it was great to seehim bust a gut to get back and clear it. Was impressed with Spearing aswell, really like the way he puts himself about, pissed off nothing was done about the Cabaye tackle but not surprised.3 points was the most important thing yesterday and hopefully we'll see an end to our run of struggling to win at home now.Enrique and Johnson were both brilliant yesterday, every game I watch him I still struggle to comprehend that we got Jose for the price we did, what an absoloute steal. Glen was great aswell although his end product wasn't as good as usual.

Really wish that Carroll header had gone in, still think he needs to be started against City, it'll be a big blow to his confidence otherwise I'd imagine and we saw how Gerrard seems to be able to put in good balls for Andy. Suarez to come in for Bellamy maybe as his knees may need a rest and I wouldn't mind seeing Maxi for Downing either. Going to be very difficult as City will be well up for it but at least we'llbe going there with confidence after that win anyway. We battered City at Anfield and were seriously unlucky to only get a point from it, no reason we can't grab a win at the Etihad.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »
I'll focus on the positives, which were much needed after the Blackburn debacle.

Firstly, it may turn out that the FA did us a good turn by banning Suarez, who looked absolutely knackered. As it was Carroll got a start and a chance to shine, but Bellamy ended up taking most of the plaudits. If he was even two or three years younger...but well taken goals all the same, although the second was a bit fortunate.

Our defence has been an absolute revelation, and we're FINALLY reaping the benefits of an Agger-Skrtel partnership long after Rafa's left. Johnson's growing from strength to strength, and Enrique is arguably our best bit of business in the summer. Pepe, well I'd gladly let him bum me so enough said.

I want to highlight Spearing's performance as well. Coming back from a 3 match ban can't have been good for his preparation, but he slotted in as if he never left. What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in energy and commitment in the tackle, and I'm delighted he's proving to be a capable stand in for Lucas. There's no need to buy Tiote or another DM in my view.

Gerrard. What else needs to be said? Just that by coming on he changed the game, turned the tide and earned another three points. And he finally showed what Downing was lacking by drilling crosses in for Carroll who suddenly looked like a threat. Give those two a run of games together and I am confident Carroll will start scoring. With Gerrard-class service it's hard not to.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »
Ironically I don’t think we played as well as against Blackburn. What’s mad is that I felt the first 10 minutes were very effective whilst Martin Tyler described us as “subdued”. Bewildering.
The first half was within our control if not a bit cat and mouse but the second half – until our heroic captain came on – was poor. We couldn’t control it, we couldn’t put a foot on the ball. Overall we were quite erratic, and then he came…..

But coming back from 1 down to win 3-1 indicates just what spirit Kenny has injected in this squad.

Johnson was good in defence but his positioning going forward was not always as effective as he can be. Skrtel was superb again, with some good interceptions.
Well done to Jay Spearing as well, if you’d have told me a couple of years ago that he’d be playing our last game of 2011 I’d have struggled to grasp that but he really is an effective squad member.

Carroll – blended between static and inanimate, I was unimpressed by his lack of movement at times although many have applauded his work rate. But when SG arrived on the scene I think he was genuinely shocked by the service he unexpectedly received. His game will improved drastically with SG playing as he’ll be gifted chances just like Owen & Torres were throughout their careers here.

Stevie demonstrated what many of us had been saying all week about needing a driving midfielder, if he can stay fit it will be like adding a Ģ40m player to the team.

It was a terrific win over a decent team.

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »
I said the other day that there was a rush to get Gerrard back and he proved yesterday why. The man is a phenomenon. You sometimes lose sight of how good a player is when you are watching them in the flesh, but sometimes you've got to sit back and take stock: Gerrard is immense.

Elsewhere, I thought Spearing was magnificent. Not only did he plug the proverbial gaps, he actually showed Henderson and Adam up in the passing department. Look at Gerrard's goal. Great interplay between Henderson and Stevie and a superb finish, but it was Spearing before that with a probing, forward ball that got Tiote and Cabaye turning back rather than shuffling sideward.

You know, I watched Spurs match against Norwich, and I was going to complain in the Blackburn round table about our passing in comparison to theirs. They (and they all have been doing it more or less every match I've seen them this season, although Modric and Van der Vaart are the most obvious exponents) were passing crisply and their passes brought their own players into good positions and put the opposition on the back foot. Our passing against Blackburn (I know, I'll link it to Newcastle shortly) was precisely the opposite, and dire. Consistently (though I except Gerrard's cameo), the passes were not only slow, but also behind their intended recipient. Again and again, our players, particularly those out wide, had to wait for the ball, check their runs to drop back to collect it, have no option to let the ball run past them rather than turn towards it. As a result, the Blackburn defence and midfield were rarely put under pressure enough to make them crack, they always had time to reposition, not only the individual defender, but the whole team could rearrange themselves as though in the old training drill where you blow the whistle after a pass, everyone stops, and the team without the ball all find their new optimal positions to defend. If this is the way you pass, you may have a lot of the ball, all of it even, and never look like scoring. It is too easy for the opposition.

Except for a few of his long passes, Adam was one of the worst offenders. Carroll was and is another, though, as I said in the post-match thread, I think it is because his confidence in his first touch is so shot that he's looking down at the ball as he tries to get it under control and no longer has any idea where anyone else is, missing the clear pass as a result.

In the Spurs Norwich match, their killer goal came from exactly the opposite sort of passing (and control). Van der Vaart hit it very smartly at Adebayor in the area, who had three Norwich defenders in range, but the pass was so crisp, and Adebayor's control so good that they still couldn't put in a tackle, and he slipped it to a now completely free Bale. It was a really fine goal and, in light of our match against Blackburn and our position relative to theirs, thoroughly depressing.

Against Newcastle, however, Spearing to some extent, and Gerrard to an extreme extend showed us the difference crisp passing, either to feet, onto head (Carroll and the bar) or to bring a player forward makes. And Spearing's pass for Gerrard's goal was of the same sort as Van der Vaart's against Norwich, and I was delighted to see it, and also to see that Henderson was able to handle it and give a fine pass of his own. That is what we must do if our pass and move is going to break teams that come to defend at Anfield and who do it at all well. Our movement has been much better (thank you Kenny) but, disturbingly, it is our passing that, particularly since Lucas went down, has let us down. Barring purchases in January, Jay must play in midfield I think, unless Adam and/or Henderson pick up their game. I think there may be space for Shelvey at either of their expense too, as he seems to have the arrogance to actually hit the ball quickly to someone and to suggest to them, with the pass, where they ought to go.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
I agree with Spearing's passing, much under-rated. Short, medium and long he has the full repertoire, and unlike Adam and even Gerro he plays within himself,
Gerrard's early balls into Carroll helped a lot. Our attacking play without him is quite slow and predictable, get it out wide, cross it to Carroll/Suarez. This gives opposing CB's ample time to set themselves. Gerrard's early delivery gives Carroll that bit more space, which is vital. Looked twice the threat with Gerrard on the pitch. The shocking touch when put through by Gerrard was worrying. Hopefully a confidence issue and a run of games and some goals and we should see a different Carroll.

Carroll's lack of movement, or making near-post runs, makes it quite dificult for our fullbacks and wingers to play him in. His spat with Enrique was telling, Enrique wanted him to make a run to the near post, but Carroll made his usual and easily anticipated drift towards the far-post, he then had a go at Enrique for not playing the outrageously more difficult ball. A simple run to the near post and he would have been in.

We came back from a goal down, got the result the performance deserved. Roll on 2012.
this is what I saw as well, Enrique twice tried to find Carroll but Carroll was always going far post and not fronting up which he should try with his big frame, would have been a tap in. Jays passing was great as well. Carroll really needs to mix up his game and not just wait for things to come to him. On the tackle on Jay, Ref was right there, I am watching the replay and he is 5m in great view of it, how the hell does he miss that, ref should be ashamed if he missed it. FA should look into things like that and not fuck around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:02:29 pm by Gerrard[LFC] »
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »
Firstly great result, put daylight between ourselves and those immediately below us, particularly in light of Chelsea losing  ;D

Carroll - Not sure where to start!  He was good at Newcastle, tore us a gooden when they beat us 1 -3 back in Roys day.  And Kenny obviously saw something that made him want to have him in our squad.  But it's not happening for him, probably for a few reasons.  In the Spyin Kop article all the Newcastle respondants said we were'nt using Carroll correctly - that surely has to tell us something, I mean, they know him better than us I'd say.  So this is Andy's fault is it?  If we keep chucking ridiculous long crosses at Luis we're not playing to his strengths, he won't be as effective as he should be.  Same for big Andy, if we play him, we have to find a way of complimenting his strengths.  He could however look a bit more interested at trying to get on the end of crosses.

Henderson - showed once Gerrard came on that he could be a really good player worth every penny and more if we just have that bit of patience with him.

Adam, has been poor every time we've played 4 -4 -2, and is alledgedly much better in a midfield 3.  Yet he looked lost for much of the match yesterday, completely out of his depth.  Did he leave his boots at Blackpool cos he certainly isn't playing like the player many who watch match of the day were raving about.

Our defence are magnificent.  How many goals have they conceded from open play?  And the partnership between Skrtel and Agger looks so balanced.  Having said that once we went 3-1 up this would have been the perfect match to start blooding Coates.  I think Carra's day is done and Coates needs experience.  He hasn't played for a fair while now the Carling Cup has stopped for a bit.  Same for Kelly, we need to keep these guys as match fit as we can, and when in the lead is the perfect time.

Kuyt - I thought he was really good when he came on, sort of out of position on the left, but did a good job.

Bellamy - So we do have a clinical finisher apart from Maxi, he just can't play as often as we like.  Managed not to get booked as well!!!!  Excellent display from him.

Spearing really stepped up to the plate.  it would have been understandable if his confidence had been knocked after the red card, and his lack of matches, but he did really well.

Once Gerrard came on and Adam went off the complexion of the whole game turned.  We started winning the midfield battle, our passing became crisper and we had belief.  I know he's Stevie G but it's amazing how 1 player can change a game so significantly.  With Lucas out we really need his composure and ability to open up the space in midfield.

Against Blackburn I commented that we attacked so much down the wings it was U shaped, nothing down the middle.  This was still in evidence when Adam was on, but as soon as SG appeared we started penetrating the middle of the pitch.  It was a smart Spearing pass just like this that sent Henderson in for the assist on Gerrards goals.

Overall a satisfying result.

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:25:01 pm »
IMO, the game confirmed my long-standing contention about this season, which is that we need more class in the middle and up front to turn some of the many chances we create into goals, build confidence, and get everybody to contribute. The bit of class was obviously provided by Gerrard. I tip my hat to Bellamy, who played well, but it was Gerrard who turned the game around and made everybody look better. We cannot really expect that sort of contribution from Bellamy or anybody else but perhaps Suarez.

The problem is that Gerrard comes back at the time Lucas is out and Suarez is likely to face a lengthy ban. We cannot really expect Gerrard to keep doing it by himself over a prolonged period of time. We've been there, and know it will not work. IMO, we need to acquire another class act (a winger, striker, or something in between) in January to secure a successful quest for the CL qualification.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
what i want to know is why do toon fans, take their tops off in the freezing cold, fucking bellend gobshites, bet their wives/mums/dads etd are so proud seeing them on telly back home "eh pet, theirs are jimmy with his belly out". Honest a god, worst set of fans in the prem, nou doubt.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »
Think we got the luck we've been missing in the other games. Could've easily gone the other way - freekick saved, Skrtel missing the clearance, and Gerrard hitting the post: 2-1 to them.

We didn't start particularly well, sitting very deep and letting them play, losing the ball as soon as we had it. There was a big cheer when we finally got possession because they miscontrolled it and it went out for a throw-in! We got into the match a bit better, but you could see their goal coming when nobody put pressure on them and allowed them to put pass and put the cross in for their goal.

Our goal lifted us and we played a bit better, but still a bit 'indifferent' - we had some chances, but so had they, until Gerrard came on and we got that freekick goal. Skrtel's clearance and Gerrards wonderful thrid meant we finished they match and the year on a high.

Still a long way to go, and I'm worried about the lack of heart we show when our big players and or old timers are out.

Last year started with the best thing of all, Kenny coming back. It's been a constant upwards journey since then. Long may it continue. Here's to 2012, onwards and upwards!
:scarf
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
Spearing was boss, and he has come on leaps and bounds. Needs to stay in the side. The intelligently challenged will take time to warm up to his game, but he really is a fine player and keeps it simple in possession, and fiery in defence.
Gerrard is just like a rolls engine, simply superb!
The defence - can't praise them enough, Skrtel's clearance was a wow moment.
Bellamy - great game. We need some more like Bellamy, quality of that ilk but someone who is younger.
Carroll - Can't understand it, the kid needs to keep trying and may be in time he will be a fierce striker, but we need quality now, and we need to buy a pacy, powerful goal scorer.

All, in all, we need quality up top, and fast, so please Kenny, Comolli get some business done quick cause we have a real chance of top 4, if we start scoring some goals from the million chances we create.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »
Think we got the luck we've been missing in the other games. Could've easily gone the other way - freekick saved, Skrtel missing the clearance, and Gerrard hitting the post: 2-1 to them.

We didn't start particularly well, sitting very deep and letting them play, losing the ball as soon as we had it. There was a big cheer when we finally got possession because they miscontrolled it and it went out for a throw-in! We got into the match a bit better, but you could see their goal coming when nobody put pressure on them and allowed them to put pass and put the cross in for their goal.

Our goal lifted us and we played a bit better, but still a bit 'indifferent' - we had some chances, but so had they, until Gerrard came on and we got that freekick goal. Skrtel's clearance and Gerrards wonderful thrid meant we finished they match and the year on a high.

Still a long way to go, and I'm worried about the lack of heart we show when our big players and or old timers are out.

Last year started with the best thing of all, Kenny coming back. It's been a constant upwards journey since then. Long may it continue. Here's to 2012, onwards and upwards!
:scarf

I think I actually disagree with most of that really.

Why exactly were we lucky? Why would we be 2-1 down? If my auntie had wheels she'd be a bike? Freekick wasn't saved - nothing to do with luck. More about a good strike, good work by Carroll, poor defending allowing Carroll to be effective, and poor goalkeeping.

Ba didnt finish his chance because of excellent defending. Nothing to do with luck?

I thought we started well enough and throughout the half looked like the only team that was gonna score, without being scintillating.

I've no idea how you construed that they looked likely to score. IMO they never once looked like scoring, let alone "you could see it coming".

I'm more worried about our lack of effectiveness in front of goal as opposed to any lack of heart.

I thought we done well. Newcastle are no pushovers, and although we never hit the performance levels of most of our home games this year, the better team by far deservedly won. Something we unfortunately havent been able to say enough. Lucky us.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »
I think I actually disagree with most of that really.

Why exactly were we lucky? Why would we be 2-1 down? If my auntie had wheels she'd be a bike? Freekick wasn't saved - nothing to do with luck. More about a good strike, good work by Carroll, poor defending allowing Carroll to be effective, and poor goalkeeping.

Ba didnt finish his chance because of excellent defending. Nothing to do with luck?

I thought we started well enough and throughout the half looked like the only team that was gonna score, without being scintillating.

I've no idea how you construed that they looked likely to score. IMO they never once looked like scoring, let alone "you could see it coming".

I'm more worried about our lack of effectiveness in front of goal as opposed to any lack of heart.

I thought we done well. Newcastle are no pushovers, and although we never hit the performance levels of most of our home games this year, the better team by far deservedly won. Something we unfortunately havent been able to say enough. Lucky us.

Don't know why I get attack so much for giving my account of the match.

I didn't say we were lucky, i said we got the luck we've been missing in the last games. Those games where we hit the bar or the post instead of scoring. This time, we scored. Or, if you want, if we were unlucky not to win the last ones, we were lucky to win this. We didn't really play so much better than against Blackburn until after we were 2-1 up, with Gerrard on the pitch.

And yes, I could see the goal coming. Or right side defending with Downing and Johnson looked dodgy, and the midfielders didn't do enough to help them out. If you didn't see it, then you obviously saw less than me, because they did score. :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
if anything we created less in this game than most of the games we've drawn - we just scored in this one - keeper error for the first , through the keepers legs for the third and a blast past 4 defenders for the 2nd.

their goal came from one of only 2 attacks of note in the whole game - in fact their 'attack for the goal was basically a half decent ball into the box and a deflection or lucky for them.

but we weren't lucky to win - we deserved to win   - we were the dominant and more creative side for the vast majority of the game.

just shows how much more we deserved to win those other games - maybe the worm has begun to turn - the results for the others suggest that too and long may it continue - if they all have the luck we've had in the first half of the season we could be back in the title hunt by easter :)

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
I'll add my thoughts, but I don't think they'll be any different to what's been posted already.

I'll start off with Andy Carroll because that was probably the main focus of the game. I've been quite negative about him and I'll admit, some of it has been a rather kneejerk response but in the same way I've been about Charlie Adam, I've had reservations from the start about how he'll fit into this team. Yesterday, pre-Gerrard, he was pretty non existent, didn't appear on the same wavelength at all with others around him (there was a point in the first half where Downing or Bellamy knocked it down to him at the edge of the box but he'd already given up on the chance) and complained that he wasn't getting the service as well as occasionally having sloppy passing - something he's shown in other games too.

When Gerrard came on, he was in the game a lot more. The first ball Gerrard put into him, he showed no awareness or desire to nip in front of the defender (Williamson, I think) who beat him to the ball and left Carroll on his arse. I've mentioned his lack of movement in the box a lot and that he lingers around the penalty spot waiting for the ball to be laid on his head and he hadn't shown much improvement of that. However, with Gerrard, he found Carroll brilliantly who only had to bring the ball down and slot it home but he messed it up. He royally messed it up. It was on a plate for him and any professional footballer, regardless of age, should be able to bring that ball down and especially a pass of that quality. A lot of people say "if he had more confidence he would've brought it down" but I think that's being too kind. You get confidence back by those sorts of chances being made for you but the blood rushed to his head and he lost concentration - something you can't afford to do at this level.

Later on, he hit the bar with another brilliant cross from Gerrard. This time, his movement, strength, and desire to beat the defender and meet the ball was much better but he got the wrong contact on the ball and had he had more practice with that kind of delivery, I'm sure he would've nodded it downwards into the net.

We've not been using Andy Carroll properly as many have said a lot and even in the Spyin' Kop this week, Newcastle fans mentioned it. The pass and move doesn't suit Andy Carroll because he's not that kind of player but with the kind of delivery from deep that Gerrard provided yesterday brought him into the game more. You could tell he was frustrated with the team by not giving him the service he requires but he'll go into games with a bit more faith now Gerrard's back that he'll get the delivery he wants. I think we'll see a greater scoring return when Gerrard is fully fit from Carroll as Gerrard has shown in half an hour that the service hasn't been good enough for him so far.

Kenny wrote a piece in the paper last year that somebody brought up on the boards about how Joey Barton delivered the ball from deep on the right which brought a lot of success for Carroll and it was the exact kind of ball that Meireles delivered (although from the left) for big Andy against Man City last season where he scored his second goal for us that showed his ability at heading from those kind of crosses. Gerrard operated how Barton did for Newcastle in his half an hour yesterday and he brought Carroll into the game a lot, lot more than we've seen in other games since he's joined. For me, that's quite an encouraging sign and Gerrard brings out the best in other players he plays around which gives me a bit of hope for Carroll.

As a team, I think we play a lot better without a big target man and our chances created numbers yesterday compared to other games was lower but we won the game with 3 goals so it's a bit of a catch 22 as to which system to adopt, but I think with the pass and move game we all prefer to see with Maxi, Bellamy and Suarez, we'd get improved results with Gerrard operating in the middle of the park too and had he featured a bit more this season, our fortunes would be a lot better.

The defensive side of things yesterday was brilliant. Jay Spearing in front of Agger and Skrtel gave me a lot of confidence that Newcastle wouldn't be able to get through to us and I don't recall them doing so other than Ba's little chip over Reina. Skrtel showed how committed to the cause he is and gave us a heroic goal line clearance to keep us in the lead and go on to put the result beyond doubt. Enrique had a quieter game than he normally does but I wouldn't swap him for any left back in the world at the moment such is the confidence he brings to the back line and the fans. An in form Johnson, which is what we've had the past couple of games, is probably the best right back in the league and he had another good game.

http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »
if anything we created less in this game than most of the games we've drawn - we just scored in this one - keeper error for the first , through the keepers legs for the third and a blast past 4 defenders for the 2nd.

It seems like a lot of the chances we create are like this though; saveable shots or difficult half chances. we were lucky that for the first time in a long time the opposing keeper wasn't equal to them. Top teams create loads of opportunities that are basically unmissable, I don't think we do that.

The prime example comes from Downing. of course he creates loads of opportunities by whipping in crosses, often a long way from the goal. But chance creation doesn't mean a lot if the quality of the chances is low.
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline Ada069

• Kopite
  • RAWK' forum lurker, Read daily, 2 lazy 2 post.
« Reply #20 on: January 1, 2012, 04:27:26 am »
For me, the moment that won us the game was Skrtel. Excellent commitment, Shit knows I can't turn my body the way he did. I'm surprised it's not mentioned a bit. For me that was the difference between a 2-2 draw and a 3-1 win.

I'm too lazy to get in an E-fight with some E-troll who is really mad a the world and just needs a hug. But not one from me.

Offline swampy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: January 1, 2012, 05:10:58 am »
Was a much more pleasing result at home. I think a midfield 3 of Jay Steven and Henderson is our best 3 man. Jay a little more to the defence Gerrard getting forward more and Henderson to provide the engine to support which ever mode we are in means he's far more adaptable than adam or so it seems to me.

I think we learnt how to use Carroll best and that is not crosses  when the build up has been protracted its when he is one on one  with early ball to his advantage so he's moving to attack it and the defender is caught underneath it and we'll get results out of him. I think both Gerrard and Hendo can do that type of ball consistently probably adam as well its just that with the two of them relatively new I dont think the have had the confidence to smack the ball up there in the right way to the big fella as Steven showed on Friday.

I do think we still have an issue to solve with how we want to play because if you take the back 5
then do you add
Spearing Henderson
         Gerrard
Maxi Suarez Bellamy
Fast intricate and hopefully more clincial

or
Hendo Spearing Gerrard Downing

Carroll   Suarez

Suarez dragging defenders off for the short intricate play with Gerrard running on or Hendo and Downing with early crosses into an attacking Carroll one on one. I think it may depend on who we are playing and to how we play, cant see carroll getting much change out of Kompany Klingon and richards this week, but if needed a final 20 flurry as it hasn't worked the other way, the make a 2-3 sub move at once kenny, (it always brings a goal, or has done down the years) and change it up.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 1, 2012, 05:23:50 am »
You know, I watched Spurs match against Norwich, and I was going to complain in the Blackburn round table about our passing in comparison to theirs. They (and they all have been doing it more or less every match I've seen them this season, although Modric and Van der Vaart are the most obvious exponents) were passing crisply and their passes brought their own players into good positions and put the opposition on the back foot. Our passing against Blackburn (I know, I'll link it to Newcastle shortly) was precisely the opposite, and dire. Consistently (though I except Gerrard's cameo), the passes were not only slow, but also behind their intended recipient. Again and again, our players, particularly those out wide, had to wait for the ball, check their runs to drop back to collect it, have no option to let the ball run past them rather than turn towards it. As a result, the Blackburn defence and midfield were rarely put under pressure enough to make them crack, they always had time to reposition, not only the individual defender, but the whole team could rearrange themselves as though in the old training drill where you blow the whistle after a pass, everyone stops, and the team without the ball all find their new optimal positions to defend. If this is the way you pass, you may have a lot of the ball, all of it even, and never look like scoring. It is too easy for the opposition.

Except for a few of his long passes, Adam was one of the worst offenders. Carroll was and is another, though, as I said in the post-match thread, I think it is because his confidence in his first touch is so shot that he's looking down at the ball as he tries to get it under control and no longer has any idea where anyone else is, missing the clear pass as a result.

In the Spurs Norwich match, their killer goal came from exactly the opposite sort of passing (and control). Van der Vaart hit it very smartly at Adebayor in the area, who had three Norwich defenders in range, but the pass was so crisp, and Adebayor's control so good that they still couldn't put in a tackle, and he slipped it to a now completely free Bale. It was a really fine goal and, in light of our match against Blackburn and our position relative to theirs, thoroughly depressing.

Against Newcastle, however, Spearing to some extent, and Gerrard to an extreme extend showed us the difference crisp passing, either to feet, onto head (Carroll and the bar) or to bring a player forward makes. And Spearing's pass for Gerrard's goal was of the same sort as Van der Vaart's against Norwich, and I was delighted to see it, and also to see that Henderson was able to handle it and give a fine pass of his own. That is what we must do if our pass and move is going to break teams that come to defend at Anfield and who do it at all well. Our movement has been much better (thank you Kenny) but, disturbingly, it is our passing that, particularly since Lucas went down, has let us down. Barring purchases in January, Jay must play in midfield I think, unless Adam and/or Henderson pick up their game. I think there may be space for Shelvey at either of their expense too, as he seems to have the arrogance to actually hit the ball quickly to someone and to suggest to them, with the pass, where they ought to go.
You got it spot on. Against Blackburn, our passes only ignited the imagination of a dead lobotomised man. Only when Gerrard came on did he spur the team to be more positive minded in terms of passing and running into space. In the Newcastle game, Spearing was doing it consistently although there was one occassion where his first time pass was misplaced and almost cost us dearly.

I'm hoping Gerrard will start against Manchester City and provide more of these forward passes

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 1, 2012, 09:20:47 am »
Firstly we deserved the win, thought Newcastle offered very little going forward and set up really defensive. We was unfortunate to go one down but we didn't do enough to score one ourselves up to that point, in some ways we needed that unfortunate goal we conceded to spark us into life. Really happy with bellamy, took his first goal well and got the bit of luck he needed with his second. His set pieces are better than Adams in my opinion, his assist for Kelly in the Chelsea game, think he assisted Skrtel too against villa, his rocket back off the bar against Brighton and then against Newcastle. In turn Charlie adam disappointed, things we expected, what he was signed to do doesn't happen enough for me. Too many sub standard corners, free kicks and he continues to dawdle on the ball in the centre of the park, I know he's done some of those things well at times too but he has too b more consistent, like he was for Blackpool.

Made up to see Stevie return with a goal and a big impact, aside from his goal and his balls in for Carroll which should of been put away.....I was shocked to see what an impact it had on Henderson and Carroll. Jordan started playing with freedom and Andy believed he could get on the end of things. When he his ready to start I hope it's alongside Jordan and jay.

I look forward to 2012.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 1, 2012, 09:27:54 am »
Some interesting opinions. My take.

Spearing:
Spearing was impressive with and deserves applause for a really good game, the best midfielder on the park easily (Gerrard aside) but I wonder is he really a DM? I think no, sure he works hard and is a feisty little man chasing down the ball with a very underrated passing game. Take nothing away from Jay he's a good player. I just think we need someone more positionally aware, that holds his position, intelligently breaks down the opposition winning back the ball. I think Spearing is a really good partner for Lucas and we saw that in the tail of last season, I just don't see him as a substitute.

Adam:
Adam is now coming under a bit of stick but I really think he's taking one for the team at the moment. He must be tired, he's playing far too many minutes, more than any midfielder should. I'm guessing more minutes than any other midfielder has in the league He's standard has definitely dropped since Lucas has been out but I think it's because he's being asked to do more work and is burning out,  we just coudn't afford to give him the R&R he needs after Lucas' injury, Spearing's red card and Gerrard's long term lay off. Rafa rotated for a reason, Ferguson rotates, and there is a reason Man City have two quality players in each position.  Hopefully now with Jay & Gerrard back we can give him a rest and he can get back to where he was a month ago.

On Carroll:
I think in 30 minutes he showed us he's capable of scoring, capable of being very good player for us. Yes he messed up his opportunities and some really good ones at that but I know he's a good enough player that 9/10 times he controls that ball and more often then not he'll jump over a defender like he did and put that ball in the net, it just didn't happen against Newcastle. The positive for me is it's the first sign of life from Andy. In 30 minutes he showed more than he has in the last 12 months.  The second Carroll got the type of delivery Joey Barton would put in week in week out for Andy last season he came to life and looked the brilliant player he was at Newcastle. But it wasn't just the delivery by Gerrard (which granted was a huge part of it). It was the intelligent run by Bellamy or Downing to create the space which was equally important.  My feeling is if we want Carroll to work that's what we need to build around him.

Gerrard:
He's too important and really we need two or three of him. Adam is supposed to be delivering balls in like the ones to Carroll's but aside from that one disallowed goal a few months I can't recall too many threatening ones. Likewise Henderson, I think that's what Kenny had in mind when he bough him, it hasn't happened. Why not? Both IMO can deliver great balls Is it Suarez the other players haven't given Andy the space, our players haven't the ability to deliver those balls, lack of trust in Andy, all of the above?

Gerrard is also the midfield runner we've been crying out for and in 30 minutes scored us a great goal against Newcastle. Who else in the squad can do that? Nobody, certainly not Henderson, Lucas or Spearing, maybe Meireles could have (minus the finish) but he's gone. Adam perhaps in a pinch but he hasn't been that far forward all season. For me we need to rethink the setup in the absence of Gerrard. I think we need that player who can do just as Gerrard did, just as Mata, Silva, VDV do for their teams.

The rest was as normal. Missed chances with Bellamy as always dangerous, brilliant CB pairing, top notch fullbacks. The regular praise and condemnation for Downing. Did like that goal line save by Skrtel, he's become a much better play than I thought he could ever be.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2012, 09:32:32 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline bruce64

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: January 1, 2012, 10:00:05 am »
 :)I'm happy , very happy , I still maintain , if we keep WINNING , we can be very close to the top . I just look at the dropped points in the last 4 games , if we had won we would be in 3rd place .

I also would like to add my 2 cents worth about Andy Carroll , and compare his first season with that of Dezeko from Man City , everyone said that Dezeko wouldn't make it , but look at him now . Me , i always like to give a player a season before making negitive comments . We all know what he can do and we have seen glimpses of that form , and i would remind everyone what we were all saying in the beginning of the season , Liverpool is a team rebuilding . I think we are doing a great job , Liverpool is the team making most chances , hitting the post most often and NEVER being bossed by another team ( apart from the Tottenham game )
We could have , should have beaten City , could had beaten United , No i think we are on the right track at the moment , we have a great bench we have players coming up through the acadamey , we have players out on loan , all of who could play frist team football , the only thing Liverpool is lacking is another STEVEN GERRARD .

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 1, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
We've probably played better this season without winning, but good to end 2011 with a win. The Barcodes never looked like winning, while we completely controlled the game once Gerrard came on.

Now if we could find the oppositions net as frequently as we find our own!!!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 1, 2012, 11:54:17 am »
Bellamy's first goal may not appear so special compared to Gerrard's but if you re-watch the video, I'm still amazed how we slotted that one past 6 Newcastle players standing in front of the goal including Krul

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #28 on: January 1, 2012, 12:04:05 pm »
Some interesting opinions. My take.

Adam:
Adam is now coming under a bit of stick but I really think he's taking one for the team at the moment. He must be tired, he's playing far too many minutes, more than any midfielder should. I'm guessing more minutes than any other midfielder has in the league He's standard has definitely dropped since Lucas has been out but I think it's because he's being asked to do more work and is burning out,  we just coudn't afford to give him the R&R he needs after Lucas' injury, Spearing's red card and Gerrard's long term lay off. Rafa rotated for a reason, Ferguson rotates, and there is a reason Man City have two quality players in each position.  Hopefully now with Jay & Gerrard back we can give him a rest and he can get back to where he was a month ago.

He certainly looks out of sorts at the moment, but I don't think it's becuase he's tired.  Henderson has played more than him since Lucas injury and is not showing the same drop in perfomance.  Enrique has played more matches and minutes this season and neither is he.  Suarez has also played a significant amount of matches after having no summer break as he was off winning the Copa America with Uruguay.  Lucas until his injury was playing every match.

I hope you're right, I hope he has a few matches rest and comes back refreshed and of the quality we need, but I don't personally see why Adam is so tired and others aren't.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2012, 12:05:40 pm by leivapool »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 1, 2012, 02:43:56 pm »
He certainly looks out of sorts at the moment, but I don't think it's becuase he's tired.  Henderson has played more than him since Lucas injury and is not showing the same drop in perfomance.  Enrique has played more matches and minutes this season and neither is he.  Suarez has also played a significant amount of matches after having no summer break as he was off winning the Copa America with Uruguay.  Lucas until his injury was playing every match.

I hope you're right, I hope he has a few matches rest and comes back refreshed and of the quality we need, but I don't personally see why Adam is so tired and others aren't.

Adam plays internationals Henderson doesn't. It's also an accumulation of minutes, Adam's played more. I think Suarez is in fact injured/tired too from being overplayed but good enough that this is him playing poorly. Enrique is an athletic freak but doesn't play internationals which helps. Just a theory though.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #30 on: January 1, 2012, 03:06:16 pm »
Adam plays internationals Henderson doesn't. It's also an accumulation of minutes, Adam's played more. I think Suarez is in fact injured/tired too from being overplayed but good enough that this is him playing poorly. Enrique is an athletic freak but doesn't play internationals which helps. Just a theory though.

I'm npt trying to be an arse, seriously I'm not, but how many internationals has Adam played this season, 1?  2?  He certainly missed the last one with 'injury'.  And  Henderson spent most of the summer at the U21 championship so had much less of a summer break than Adam.  I just don't think Adam has played SO much that his performance should drop so quickly, and he has certainly played less than some of our other players whose form has certainly not dropped off so much.

Anyways, Have a good new year :)

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 1, 2012, 10:02:13 pm »
It seems like a lot of the chances we create are like this though; saveable shots or difficult half chances. we were lucky that for the first time in a long time the opposing keeper wasn't equal to them. Top teams create loads of opportunities that are basically unmissable, I don't think we do that.

The prime example comes from Downing. of course he creates loads of opportunities by whipping in crosses, often a long way from the goal. But chance creation doesn't mean a lot if the quality of the chances is low.

We'll have to agree to differ I think our chances are the same as everybody else's we've just missed them  e.g. 4 missed pens

the stats are calculated in different ways - shots, shots on target and clear cut chances = we top the lot

the only real issue is whether our finishing is inherently poor because the players aren't good enough or we've been unlucky

because its been happening for half a season the feeling is there has to be more to it than simply bad luck  but the reality is there doesn't have to be - sure confidence can be a big part of it and the more you miss the more you may think you are going to miss next time and its hard to separate out the quality of the player and his level of confidence because the two often go hand in hand but all in all I'd like to side with the players and believe they have the ability they just need a touch more luck and the confidence that brings
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #32 on: January 1, 2012, 10:50:47 pm »
If we were in the middle of a hectic european run (especially in the europa) then i might agree with you Dan, but the reality is that Charlie is really, really struggling at the moment.. I agree with your first post on all other points, but for me, Adam is playing so badly, I'd play Spearing before him.

I think, with Lucas out, our best midfield is one of Gerrard, henderson and Spearing. Henderson has come to life both times that Gerrard's come on and it's really not a surprise. We really do have to hope that Gerrard can be fit for the whole rest of the season now as with him in the side, I think we really can start to push for the top 4.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 1, 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
I think we missed Suarez badly this game cause I think as long as we played without Gerrard, there were no hints that we could win this game. You have to be honest with yourself here and it just shows how desperately we are in need of more quality in our first eleven.

We did work as a unit, but people watching this game have to admit that there was no sign of top football in our attacking play to be seen until Gerrard entered the pitch.

There was a lot of dicussion going on how much better the player looked like after he came on but how could anyone take this as positive?

All those arguments just donīt make any sense, it just shows that we overall were NOT lacking luck in our recent games when it came to taking our chances. Gerrard showed this in an impressive way that itīs all about being talented enough in order to put the ball in the net and it does worry me a little that Kenny kept on pointing out how much more we deserved from our games so far.

The situation right before Bellamy scored his first was very typical here....Enrique crosses without looking up, the ball comes to Adam, who does exactly the same, crossing without looking up, on the ground this time and the deflected ball accidentally falls infront of Bellamys feet.

There was simply too much going on in our attacking play so far without the proper accuracy in the final pass which is a consequence of players not being able to do so. Too much was happening by accident or being too predictable in and around the box with the exception of Maxi and Bellamy together with Suarez. But how often did they play together?

And it only took Gerrard ONE cross to show how it works right away. For top quality players, itīs that simple.

« Last Edit: January 1, 2012, 11:42:39 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: January 1, 2012, 11:28:43 pm »

Totally agree with you here. For some reason this match was one where Carroll's lack of movement became painfully obvious to me. And I don't think the problem is lack of movement as much as it is lack of vision. At one point he put a ball in to someone on the edge of the box, they flicked it across for a 1-2 which would have put Carroll on goal but he hadn't moved from where he passed it. Just didn't read the play at all. I noticed early on Bellamy screaming at him a number of times, all related to where to run and position himself and then later the spat with Enrique.

I know he's young and there are other issues such as confidence and technical ability, but vision is often something you have or don't have. It's not easily developed and separates quality players from average (see Steven Gerrard vs Newcastle). I hope it was a glich for Andy but I will be now watching him to see how he reads what's going on around him.

Was good to see another solid performance from Agger and Skyrtl. It made me think of how important combinations are in a team. Not sure what it means for Carra but you wouldn't break up this combination lightly. The difference Gerrard made was remarkable. Also makes you wonder how we will go when we can play a combination of Lucas, Gerrard, Suarez on a consistent basis. It might even make the difference for big Andy, having the right "combination around him, some pressure of Luis as Gerrard starts to dictate some of the play around them.

Hope we get to see it soon.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 2, 2012, 01:20:16 am »
 Bit of a ramble but all season I've been in the 'fuck the result look at how well we're playing' camp, ironically after the win not only did I think it wasn't one of our best performances but I start to worry about a few things. Our back four are solid, shows why just slagging individuals without circumstance is so ridiculous, who thought Skertyl would look so accomplished.

But in the centre until Gerrard came on we have no available at the moment who can dictate tempo Adam's a decent player but will never have that 5% that really makes the difference. Newcastle had a spell of midfeild control in the second half and we looked a bit shellshocked we didn't have that midfield general who could dictate a change. I was worried about Carroll's ability to play in our system and thought he was struggling, the gap between him and the midfield was massive and it's a real challenge for him to learn the positional sense when we don't have the ball, but he's young and with Gerrard's pin point passing he can probably earn himself more time to get comfortable with our style. but sometimes winning is as important as how well we play and hopefully this win will help build confidence which generally this season has been a big problem for us.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 2, 2012, 01:50:38 am »
Bellamy's first goal may not appear so special compared to Gerrard's but if you re-watch the video, I'm still amazed how we slotted that one past 6 Newcastle players standing in front of the goal including Krul

This....so so clinical
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 2, 2012, 02:04:13 am »
I think we missed Suarez badly this game cause I think as long as we played without Gerrard, there were no hints that we could win this game. You have to be honest with yourself here and it just shows how desperately we are in need of more quality in our first eleven.

We did work as a unit, but people watching this game have to admit that there was no sign of top football in our attacking play to be seen until Gerrard entered the pitch.

There was a lot of dicussion going on how much better the player looked like after he came on but how could anyone take this as positive?

All those arguments just donīt make any sense, it just shows that we overall were NOT lacking luck in our recent games when it came to taking our chances. Gerrard showed this in an impressive way that itīs all about being talented enough in order to put the ball in the net and it does worry me a little that Kenny kept on pointing out how much more we deserved from our games so far.

The situation right before Bellamy scored his first was very typical here....Enrique crosses without looking up, the ball comes to Adam, who does exactly the same, crossing without looking up, on the ground this time and the deflected ball accidentally falls infront of Bellamys feet.

There was simply too much going on in our attacking play so far without the proper accuracy in the final pass which is a consequence of players not being able to do so. Too much was happening by accident or being too predictable in and around the box with the exception of Maxi and Bellamy together with Suarez. But how often did they play together?

And it only took Gerrard ONE cross to show how it works right away. For top quality players, itīs that simple.
You are not blind...
You know what football is all about.
Before Gerrard entered the pitch Liverpool was not that good.
Gerrard changed the game.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #38 on: January 2, 2012, 02:34:01 am »

I think the Newcastle game showed that we lack quality in the team and I really hope we start to put some into it rather than some average squad player who's in to do a job. We've had no real top quality in the team where it matters that affects the goals for column bar Suarez and if we had, we would be higher up and we would have more goals. The service, whilst there which is promising, just isn't good enough. Our best, most intelligent players aren't playing together enough and we're suffering from players who lack quality to push the tempo and class up when needed.

Our squad foundations are there as I've said many times before, but now we really need some quality in the first team. Gerrard coming on for 30 minutes showed exactly what we've been missing and that is some high level natural talent.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 2, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
Newcastle came to Anfield looking for a draw or to snatch a winner.  In 45 minutes of football they had only one real chance and that was the goal they scored.  Prior to the goal I don't think they'd even been in our box.  They setup to defend and it's a mark of progress (or the sheer brilliance of Gerrard) that allowed us to break them down.  While a lot of people go on about the draws we've had this season, this is nothing new.  We suffered from an inability to break teams down under Rafa and Houllier.

On the negatives, Adam was poor.  Very poor.  I like him and I think he offers us a decent range of options, but his passing and energy against Newcastle were lacking.  Some have said he might be tired, but if he is then someone needs to get him in the gym because he's only 26 and doesn't have a European run to deal with.  Lucas prior to injury was an ever present and had to work a lot harder in matches than our other midfield players, because of the nature of his role.

Carroll - I still believe he has the potential to be a huge influence for us.  But right now we need an impact player and it feels like we are carrying Carroll.  It probably is just a a confidence problem and perhaps the only way to fix that is through playing him more, but what concerned me in this game is that he didn't seem bothered half the time.  He was playing against his boyhood club.  At the very least that should have spurred him on.

The other negative for me was how toothless we looked until Gerrard came on.  We lacked the drive, the killer pass, and constantly got into decent attacking positions only to find no one in the box to cross to.  It felt like our game plan was to get forward, knock the ball off one of theirs for a corner and then hope for a set piece conversion.  Sometimes trying to up the pace and look for the quick cross is better than letting the opposition setup to defend a set piece.  It felt very one dimensional.

But the positives still outweigh those negatives for me.

Firstly, a win is a win and we fully deserved the result as Newcastle offered nothing going forward.

Spearing was the MoM for me.  As the first half came to a close I was getting quite irate that the only player who seemed to be calling for the ball and moving through the midfield trying to up the tempo was Jay Spearing; our most inexperienced player on the pitch that night.  Spearing was superb in everything he did and should be starting the next few games for me.  The telling thing was his attitude.  He had that 'do-or-die' look about him while some others seemed to huff and puff and go through the motions.

Bellamy is amazing and while I still felt that we suffered on the left with Enrique and Bellamy often being too close to each other, he gives us that killer instinct that is sometimes lacking.  I only wish he was 5 years younger!

Gerrard has made a transition recently that I think has been subtle but could have a lasting impact.  He's always been the player we relied on, but he seems to have moved into an elder statesmen role and looks so much more disciplined than I think I can remember him ever being.  We all know that for all his drive Gerrard can be wasteful, but in the last two games he has come on and added a completely new dimension to our play.  Perhaps it's because Kenny is giving him freedom to roam.  Either way, without him we were stuttering towards a 1-1 draw.

Henderson/Downing - They are improving with every match.  I think Downing should remain on the right and be told to get more first time crosses in.  He sometimes labours too much over what to do.  That's partially our attacks fault as they seem to shy away from getting in the box at times.  Henderson is quietly getting on with the job and I've been really impressed with his performances.  He'll be like Lucas in the fans eyes because people don't instantly notice the contribution.  He has a bright future in the centre of midfield.

Defence - We may have conceded a weak goal but Newcastle were stifled for the majority of the match and our back 4 (and Pepe) are progressing into something really special.  15 conceded (the lowest in the prem).  Who'd have thought that after the 4-0 drubbing by Spurs?

Anyway, a good result and some really good signs of things to come.  Onto Man City and probably our toughest test so far this season.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2012, 08:55:34 am by helmboy_nige »