Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58652 times)

Offline Cone

• Main Stander
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #840 on: May 2, 2012, 07:33:07 am »
ICS on t-mobile is really starting to piss me off now put my fone on charge before i went to bed woke up this morning fully charged an hour later and am down to 50% not even done much with it also whats app seems to freeze getting folk messaging me 30/40 mins after they started

I've read and also been told by someone that has the phone that it apparently goes back to normal after a few days.

It had better. I updated mine yesterday, charged overnight and it was dead halfway through the day today.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: May 2, 2012, 11:54:19 am »
Sounds like T-Mobile testing hasn't been as good as O2, and yet they took longer to release it. I've had no problems up to now (apart from Sky Go not working, but thats ICS in general, not O2).

Fucking terrible phone.  Probably the 2nd worst I've ever owned (after the Dell Streak) and I've owned quite a few.

What are the problems you are having with it?

I've owned mine since August last year, not had any major issues at all.

Have previously owned several Nokia's, Sony's, and still own an iPhone 3gs, all of which I've been fed up with after a few months, not this one though.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #842 on: May 2, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »
Sorry if this sounds obvious but have you tried switching it off and back on?  Battery drain that bad normally only happens to me when an app hasn't shut itself off properly.

yep tried that aswell (or its been forced on me to restart it cos it freezes )

Fucking terrible phone.  Probably the 2nd worst I've ever owned (after the Dell Streak) and I've owned quite a few.

up until two weeks ago id say this was the greatest phone ive owned once the bugs have been ironed out it will be back to being a great phone ive learned the lesson of not upgrading the software untill its been thoroughly tested

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #843 on: May 2, 2012, 06:18:47 pm »
What are the problems you are having with it?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #844 on: May 2, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »
Since the ICS update, I have found my battery life has increased.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #845 on: May 3, 2012, 09:31:25 am »
Sounds like T-Mobile testing hasn't been as good as O2, and yet they took longer to release it. I've had no problems up to now (apart from Sky Go not working, but thats ICS in general, not O2).

Ironically, Sky Go works on mine with ICS.

Since the ICS update, I have found my battery life has increased.

Unfortunately, I think the updates are all carrier dependent, they aren't the same, they put their bloatware in and other adjustments.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #846 on: May 3, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »
My batterys been rather shite since the ics update.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: May 3, 2012, 07:34:55 pm »
Been following this on twitter and the Galaxy SIII been launched tonight, on sale from May starting in Europe first. Apparently it comes with something Samsung are calling Smart Stay which knows when you're looking at the screen and stops it turning off. Also they've added a function where if you're texting someone, but decided to call them instead raise the SIII to your ear & actives a 'Direct Call' feature.

It'll be a bugger to fit in yer pocket though!

« Last Edit: May 3, 2012, 07:39:09 pm by Terry_Tibbs »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #848 on: May 3, 2012, 07:41:07 pm »
Been following this on twitter and the Galaxy SIII been launched tonight, on sale from May starting in Europe first. Apparently it comes with something Samsung are calling Smart Stay which knows when you're looking at the screen and stops it turning off. Also they've added a function where if you're texting someone, but decided to call them instead raise the SIII to your ear & actives a 'Direct Call' feature.

It'll be a bugger to fit in yer pocket though!

live unpacking

http://www.thenextgalaxy.com/

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #849 on: May 3, 2012, 08:35:52 pm »
Nothing special. Doesn't look great either.

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #850 on: May 3, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »
Hmm don't look too bad, that eye recognition thing sounds perfect for me.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #851 on: May 3, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
Bit dissappointed purely from an aesthetic point of view.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #852 on: May 3, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »
i think the phone is great!

looks much nicer than the S2 also

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: May 3, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
Looks absolutely huge just like all new android smartphones. S2 is about as big as it should go IMO. I tried playing around with the One X the other day and can't see myself using it with one hand that comfortably although it looks like an absolute beast of a phone.

I've been able to upgrade for ages now and was waiting to see if the S2 is coming down in price. I guess it will soon but not sure if I should wait another month for the s3 or just get a cheaper plan for the s2 or even stick with htc. Lots of decent options for android phones at the moment.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: May 3, 2012, 10:08:23 pm »
From the official SIII site, doesn't look like there is that much new. Looks quite a bit different, maybe a bit nicer than the S2, but the other features wouldn't make me want to pay to upgrade (maybe a free upgrade, but that's not due until August 2013, so will be another new one by then.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: May 4, 2012, 09:33:11 am »
Looks like some unique features to the S3. Ones ive not seen on Android before.
 a 4.8 inch screen though, yikes. Not sure it will fit in my jeans.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: May 4, 2012, 10:38:23 am »
When does a phone screen become so big that it becomes a tablet, because this must be close.

The SII is massive imo and I wouldnt have gone any larger with it. Will have to have a mess around on it when it comes out.

Also, im not big on its aesthetics.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: May 4, 2012, 11:12:14 am »
When does a phone screen become so big that it becomes a tablet, because this must be close.

The SII is massive imo and I wouldnt have gone any larger with it. Will have to have a mess around on it when it comes out.

Apparently the cut off to a tablet is 5"

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: May 4, 2012, 11:20:01 am »
Apparently the cut off to a tablet is 5"

The Galaxy Note is 5.3" but classed as a smartphone.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: May 4, 2012, 11:25:00 am »
These phones are getting too big now I reckon, I posted my old Sony Vivaz for recycling yesterday and after a couple of months using the S2 the old Sony felt tiny.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: May 4, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »

Agreed.

For me if you can't use it with one hand comfortably then it's too big. My HTC desire is about as big it should be IMO
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #861 on: May 4, 2012, 05:07:46 pm »
I quite like the Galaxy Note. I don't know how I would carry it around but still, easy stylus to use as well with some good features on that. If the release a new one in the coming months I might get one. I could never carry a tablet around like I've seen quite a few people doing so something like the Note is a good compromise. Carrying around a 10" tablet is just ridiculous. As long as it fits in the pocket!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 6, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »
I quite like the Galaxy Note. I don't know how I would carry it around but still, easy stylus to use as well with some good features on that. If the release a new one in the coming months I might get one. I could never carry a tablet around like I've seen quite a few people doing so something like the Note is a good compromise. Carrying around a 10" tablet is just ridiculous. As long as it fits in the pocket!

I adore the Note, but it is massive. Ive been torn on whether to trade in my SII for it for weeks, looks absolutely fantastic.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: May 7, 2012, 11:15:52 am »
I adore the Note, but it is massive. Ive been torn on whether to trade in my SII for it for weeks, looks absolutely fantastic.

Same. I've wanted a tablet for ages but can't afford one, S2 is great but not quite big enough to use as a tablet and I think the Note would do the job.

Unfortunately my contract isn't up until July 2013 though. I also have a contract with T-Mobile which expires this August, but I can't afford both so intend to let it expire. I have a horrible feeling I'll do a stupid thing when the time comes though and go for an upgrade, vowing to cancel my O2 contract when it expires next July :)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #864 on: May 7, 2012, 11:27:56 am »
Any decent deals on the new S3 yet? My contract is up at the end of the month.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline chrisG

• Anny Roader
« Reply #865 on: May 7, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »
Any help available,  Girlfriend has upgraded her Samsung Galaxy S 2 to ICS. Done over wireless from a push notification.

So it's working fine and it has upgraded to 4.0.2 however after a few weeks it is running really slow.

Also it keeps crashing and saying TWlauncher crashed.

Anyone had similar problems?

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 7, 2012, 03:21:55 pm »
Any decent deals on the new S3 yet? My contract is up at the end of the month.

The deal Three are offering seems good,
All-you-can-eat-data, 2,000 minutes, 5,000 Three-to-Three minutes, and 5,000 texts
£34
with no upfront fees.

Edit: Ohh plus a possible £100+ quidco
« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 06:55:57 pm by Nabz-1 »

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: May 7, 2012, 03:27:18 pm »
Agreed.

For me if you can't use it with one hand comfortably then it's too big. My HTC desire is about as big it should be IMO

Tis true. The iPhone hits the sweet spot in terms of size. This move to massive clown phones is getting silly. I don't mind phones getting thicker to accommodate a bigger battery, but longer and wider .... No thanks.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline shockwave_dave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #868 on: May 8, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »
Anybody here ever have an issue connecting their S2 to Kies and how was it resolved?

Cannot get mine connected to Kies at all to get the ICS firmware update
« Last Edit: May 8, 2012, 06:22:55 pm by shockwave_dave »

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #869 on: May 8, 2012, 06:05:51 pm »
Probably an easy answer but I cant find it, but how do I get rid of the keyboard icon in the corner while using swift key?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: May 8, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »

Its massive. Plus there is no way you would be able to make a phone call without looking like an idiot.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: May 8, 2012, 07:15:30 pm »
Anybody here ever have an issue connecting their S2 to Kies and how was it resolved?

Had a problem connecting mine to my laptop a few days ago, turned out I had to turn USB Debugging on (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging). Worked straight away after I ticked that box.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #872 on: May 8, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

Had that issue on my pc, but works without issue on my laptop. Never bothered to look into what the cause is
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #873 on: May 9, 2012, 07:12:37 am »
is ICS the biggest pile of shit Android ever released, fact!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #874 on: May 9, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
is ICS the biggest pile of shit Android ever released, fact!

You're not wrong.
Went out the other day, phone fully charged at 8:30 and apart from a 5 min call and the phone connected to my car via bluetooth when I was in it, it was never used for anything and the phone had drained itself dead at about 7pm.
This morning I did a factory reset and have installed nothing but what needed updating and it's currently been on battery for 2:30 mins and it's at 80% with Android OS at 79% use, screen 16% use, mediaserver 3% (4 songs on Youtube) and cell standby 2%.

It's just not acceptable and bordering on unusable without a spare battery.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: May 9, 2012, 12:22:12 pm »
You're not wrong.
Went out the other day, phone fully charged at 8:30 and apart from a 5 min call and the phone connected to my car via bluetooth when I was in it, it was never used for anything and the phone had drained itself dead at about 7pm.
This morning I did a factory reset and have installed nothing but what needed updating and it's currently been on battery for 2:30 mins and it's at 80% with Android OS at 79% use, screen 16% use, mediaserver 3% (4 songs on Youtube) and cell standby 2%.

My battery started draining itself fairly quickly again, even though I was using JuiceDefender, would be at about 20-30% when I got home. However in my case I'd kept the screen on full brightness (just because it looks good). A couple of days ago I turned it down to 50% brightness and left it as that, been using the phone as much as usual (couple of phone calls, twitter, linked in, text messages etc.), by 7pm last night it was still on 80-90%. Until I started watching some video's on it, started draining fairly quickly then (about 20% by the time I went to bed at about midnight).

At the moment it's showing about 95% (battery is green apart from the pin), been off charge since about 7.30am, and I've used it for accessing this forum a few times, emails, twitter and linkedin throughout the morning. Seems the brightness makes a massive difference (though can't say it will be the same in your case as I don't know what you have your brightness set at).

EDIT: Just read your post again, missed the bit about "Android OS at 79%". Mine is actually 89% left on the battery, Android OS 40%, Screen 36%, Cell Standby 9%, Phone idle 6%, Tapatalk 4%, Internet 3%, Android System 2%, Google Services 2%.

EDIT 2: Still not plugged it in, now showing 64% battery, 13 hours after I unplugged it. Oddly though the battery indicator still looks like its at about 85-90%, barely moved from earlier.

One thing you could try that I read somewhere is cleaning the contacts of your battery with a cloth, apparently this should be done every few months to keep the battery in good condition. I did do that with mine last week so maybe that's why I'm getting improved battery life.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 08:33:10 pm by damian »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #876 on: May 9, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »
You're not wrong.

I havent got much of a problem with battery compared to you (Im on tmobile and using Go Power Master for battery mgt).  It is the Wifi and mobile data signals which are quite shite at the moment.  They keep disconnecting - specially the Wifi - or slow to connect to.  So far I havent seen any good thing with ICS that Go Launcher did not already offer. 
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #877 on: May 9, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
It seems like everyone with this phone is complaining about the ICS update. I'm not going to bother updating my dads phone as a result. He barely uses it as a smartphone anyway.  ICS on my phone is brilliant though. The browser is really good for one. I put all the complaining down to Samsung messing with it and trying to fit it into TouchWiz, which has got to be the worst launcher out there by far.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:46 am »
ICS is finally out for Talkmobile S2s. I don't know whether to risk updating with Kies though, I've read a lot of reports of it randomly bricking people's phones. I could try the OTA update on the phone, but I don't know if that works properly either - last time I tried it a few weeks ago it "updated" and then said there was another update, it did this about 5 times in a row before I assumed it wasn't working and cancelled it.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #879 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:54 pm »
My battery is fine. Noticed no change from the old OS to ICS. Main issue I have is wifi freeze
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"