Author Topic: Favourite Gerrard memory/match/goal/picture  (Read 29945 times)

Offline steampie

• Kopite
  • Truth yes, now Justice.
Re: Favourite Gerrard memory/match/goal/picture
« Reply #40 on: January 2, 2015, 02:14:19 pm »
As others have pointed out, far too many to choose from.  The always excellent LFC.vn has a great top 10 video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu4isq43_7A?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu4isq43_7A?fs=1</a>

Number 4 was that ridiculous screamer v. Middlesbrough at Anfield, and the announcer says, "Those are the moments that Liverpool supporters will remember!"

:-[
« Last Edit: January 2, 2015, 02:16:37 pm by steampie »
I think [naming your daughter] Fuckoffyoubitterblueshitebastards Becker has a nice ring to it.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #41 on: January 2, 2015, 02:21:17 pm »
The Goodison celebration for me.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 2, 2015, 02:23:04 pm »

His goal against United in 2001, the day i realized just what a talent we had.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #43 on: January 2, 2015, 02:23:21 pm »
As others have pointed out, far too many to choose from.  The always excellent LFC.vn has a great top 10 video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu4isq43_7A?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pu4isq43_7A?fs=1</a>

Number 4 was that ridiculous screamer v. Middlesbrough at Anfield, and the announcer says, "Those are the moments that Liverpool supporters will remember!"

:-[

The context as well as the quality of these goals is absolutely stunning! So many incredible goals at the most important moments!!

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 2, 2015, 02:24:37 pm »
Just sat and watched 'One night in May' with my little boy for about the millionth time and cried the whole way through.

Without his goal that night there was no 5th European cup for LFC. Will always remember him gee'ing up his teammates and the rest of us too after he scored but also his post match tribute to Rafa for not letting their heads drop. In footballing terms quite simply the best night of my life. Thank you Stevie!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 2, 2015, 02:27:53 pm »

That's it. Just quality. No right to even get into a goalscoring position let alone get the ball past three defenders and the keeper before they even realised he hit it. The speed of thought, the quick feet, the composure, the swerve on the ball. The celebration. Oh the celebration. The fucking celebration. The Bullens going absolutely ape shit. Oh man.

No football intelligence they say  :-X
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #46 on: January 2, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
That goal against Marseille was impossible. It wasn't his most important goal, or the one that carries the greatest sentiment in my memory, but it had the touch of genius. It was a goal only a few players could ever score in their whole career, but many supporters I know aren't even sure it was his best. Gerrard was the definition of "world-class" in his pomp.   

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 2, 2015, 02:40:02 pm »
There are many moments that I love and just can't explain how much they have meant to me.  One where it didn't really mean much in context but was a bloody good goal was the strike against Middlesbrough.  When he controlled it and it bounced up for the half volley I thought 'surely not'.  Sure enough he scores an incredible goal into the top corner from what 30 yards out.  "Those are the moments that Liverpool supporters will remember"... Too right mate.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 2, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »
I always imagine him in a midfield with Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. Would kill absolutely any team of any generation.

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #49 on: January 2, 2015, 02:41:27 pm »
Way too many too moments to choose just one, but for some reason I always remember the tackle he made on Serginho when he went to right-back in extra time (I think) in Istanbul...........

Online elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: January 2, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »
Way too many too moments to choose just one, but for some reason I always remember the tackle he made on Serginho when he went to right-back in extra time (I think) in Istanbul...........
I remember that moment. He was everywhere in that match.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 2, 2015, 02:54:31 pm »
I'd love for someone to make a compilation of all his goals in the two derbies. No player since the PL era began had such an impact on these derbies as Steven Gerrard did - from Manchester United or Everton or Liverpool

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #52 on: January 2, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »
There are a lot, but I can't get past the injury time equaliser v West Ham.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #53 on: January 2, 2015, 03:07:26 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tpLCVIaIH30" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tpLCVIaIH30</a>

You stayed as long as possible and you won a lot of trophies as well. We are proud of you.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2015, 03:09:11 pm by Latenight Surfer »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 2, 2015, 03:07:43 pm »
One of my favourites has always been the third goal against Real Madrid in the 4-0 game in 2009. As soon as he made contact it seemed inevitable it would go in, but it was amazing technique to get the ball in the net the way he did.

Offline XeeLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: January 2, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 2, 2015, 03:58:12 pm by XeeLFC »

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: January 2, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »
Love the reaction of every single player from that Fulham clip!!!

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #57 on: January 2, 2015, 03:51:09 pm »
The power he had in his right foot, is unreal. Lost that in recent years after the thigh injury.
The FA Cup final goal against West Ham, is my favourite, but it could be any of them, and others besides.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 2, 2015, 03:57:57 pm »
My fave moment that hasn't already been mentionned

It was a euro game, riise had given him a slack pass that the opponents intercepted and they were baring in on goal. He gives riise a stone cold killer look, gallops after them and executes an inch perfect tackle in the penalty box.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2015, 04:00:57 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Online riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #59 on: January 2, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »
Not remembered as highly as the Olympiakos goal, but we needed to win our last group game after an awful first three and for me this is probably his best goal technique wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0lic71MOOs
In the words of Clive Tyldsley: Only Steven Gerrard can do that.

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #60 on: January 2, 2015, 04:18:08 pm »
Steven Gerrard vs AC Milan

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NCzkGKxx9Cc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NCzkGKxx9Cc</a>

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 2, 2015, 04:25:55 pm »
For me, it's easily the first Milan goal. The goal that gave us hope.
This and geeing the fans up running back to the centre circle.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 2, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »
First, and only, game I've been to at Anfield that was on my birthday

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w8paTHlbl-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w8paTHlbl-o</a>

First, and only, game I brought my girlfriend with me

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/122PgdElX4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/122PgdElX4I</a>

And of course

I don't like Sky in general, but I have to say, this is probably my favourite Istanbul highlights video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tkc6TgCWU8Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tkc6TgCWU8Q</a>
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #63 on: January 2, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »
His running. He was a sight in full stride. He hit some belters in his time but the goals in his earliest days  are some of my favourites when he  would just power through midfield.

Offline bissozwei

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: January 2, 2015, 06:52:21 pm »
The Last Hero..

Wow. That hit home with me.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 2, 2015, 06:53:17 pm »
Too many to mention but this goal and celebration vs Fulham was one of the moments of last season for me.

Oh man, I just remember screaming like some crazed animal when that happened.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #66 on: January 2, 2015, 07:38:28 pm »
He scored some screamers during his career, but I still think his most audacious goal was this one against Marseilles in the Champions League. It may not look as impressive as some of his other goals at first glance, but when you really analyze the execution of this goal, it's clear that to pull something like this off requires an insane amount of ability. The way he runs onto the ball at pace, shifts his balance with such ease, wraps his boot around it, and pings it into the far corner without even looking up at the goals is just a phenomenal display of all round ability.

Watch the replay from behind the goal and you'll appreciate the full extent of it. For me, this goal is his best goal of all just for the sheer audacity of it. There are very few players who could pull this off once in ten attempts on the training ground, let alone pull it off on the fly with such ease in the middle of a European cup tie. This one sums him up the best for me.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s0lic71MOOs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s0lic71MOOs</a>

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #67 on: January 2, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
As far as goals go there have been so many many screamers.

It's the West Ham one for me because I distinctly remember thinking to myself as the ball came out to him - Jesus Stevie don't shoot, we need to keep the ball alive here. I never thought for a second that he could score from there. Shame on me for doubting him!

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Vlads

• Anny Roader
  • We've only won it six times..
« Reply #68 on: January 2, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IISJfDnOnJE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IISJfDnOnJE</a>

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #69 on: January 2, 2015, 07:57:25 pm »
He scored some screamers during his career, but I still think his most audacious goal was this one against Marseilles in the Champions League. It may not look as impressive as some of his other goals at first glance, but when you really analyze the execution of this goal, it's clear that to pull something like this off requires an insane amount of ability. The way he runs onto the ball at pace, shifts his balance with such ease, wraps his boot around it, and pings it into the far corner without even looking up at the goals is just a phenomenal display of all round ability.

Watch the replay from behind the goal and you'll appreciate the full extent of it. For me, this goal is his best goal of all just for the sheer audacity of it. There are very few players who could pull this off once in ten attempts on the training ground, let alone pull it off on the fly with such ease in the middle of a European cup tie. This one sums him up the best for me.

That's a perfect description of this goal. I my self am a big fan of this goal and feel that this demonstrates what Gerrard is particularly for the ease with which he scores that goal (at least he makes it look easy). He knew exactly where the posts were, that goal left me speechless for a couple of minutes.. peach of a goal.

I consider myself lucky to have seen that goal live, maybe not as lucky as those who were there at the Velodrome that night.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #70 on: January 2, 2015, 07:59:00 pm »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #71 on: January 2, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »
All goals? I'm thinking sliding tackles. I've seen many great goalscorers in the red shirt, but those tackles...

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #72 on: January 2, 2015, 08:52:56 pm »
 :'(
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 2, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »
Too many to list really, but the west ham goal for me is the most enduring for many reasons.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #74 on: January 2, 2015, 09:04:58 pm »
His goal against Luton in the FA cup.

Xabi scored form our half and took the headlines, but his goal was wonderful.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Cream147

• Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: January 2, 2015, 09:17:48 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s0lic71MOOs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s0lic71MOOs</a>

I've always felt this was one of his best technically, if not the best. He should not be able to generate the power or accuracy that he did with the ball behind him as it was here.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 2, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »

I remember watching that goal. Literally the moment it left his boot you could tell it was going in. Yet even when it hit the net, it still took my breath away slightly. It floated in so beautifully and gracefully as well. It's one of those moments when you just go "Oh I love you Stevie"

Not my favourite moment but I'm quite attached to this
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dleIp8j_Ows" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dleIp8j_Ows</a>
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 2, 2015, 10:49:00 pm »
Quality tackle that. I remember a similar one at woodison in the night game where he and ciise scored, in front of the gwladys street end, it was given as a foul but it was a great tackle that was so typical of him in the big games...laying down the marker.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 2, 2015, 10:51:36 pm »
In the words of Clive Tyldsley: Only Steven Gerrard can do that.
Think we'll be hearing tat a lot, mate.

Offline Kenny

• Kopite
  • Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent
« Reply #79 on: January 2, 2015, 10:55:02 pm »
First goal I saw him score live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGWOpxfV74