Author Topic: How many points would you expect in the next 5 league games - 2014/15 edition  (Read 98421 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'll take the 5 wins thanks. I've said it many times this season but we need to go on at least one 5-8 game winning run and in doing so we'll immediately catapult ourselves into the talk for third with the way things are going this season. If we get 5 wins in a row or maybe 6, we'll be talking top 4 but if we get 7/8 in a row, I think we could be looking at top 3. Now credit to Brendan for having somewhat turned things around after the horror start to the season. We look better as a team now and a lot more functional at the moment. No reason why we can't put a run together as teams miss important players that'll go away for the African cup of nations. Off the top of my head, West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton will all be missing important players during this period. We've got to capitalise. Particularly against Tottenham and Southampton because these are 6 pointers pretty much.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
I'll take the 5 wins thanks. I've said it many times this season but we need to go on at least one 5-8 game winning run and in doing so we'll immediately catapult ourselves into the talk for third with the way things are going this season. If we get 5 wins in a row or maybe 6, we'll be talking top 4 but if we get 7/8 in a row, I think we could be looking at top 3. Now credit to Brendan for having somewhat turned things around after the horror start to the season. We look better as a team now and a lot more functional at the moment. No reason why we can't put a run together as teams miss important players that'll go away for the African cup of nations. Off the top of my head, West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton will all be missing important players during this period. We've got to capitalise. Particularly against Tottenham and Southampton because these are 6 pointers pretty much.

Agree with this. A run of 6 wins catapulted Utd from around mid table to 3rd, so a similar run for us could be a massive boost.

There are so many positives at the moment - the team is playing better, our new formation and shape is getting results, Sterling's had a really good rest, and Sturridge is on his way back. When we also add Lallana (who was in great form) back in the mix, I think we have the squad to handle all 4 competitions and turn a potential car crash season into a good one, and give us momentum to challenge again next season.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Agree with this. A run of 6 wins catapulted Utd from around mid table to 3rd, so a similar run for us could be a massive boost.

There are so many positives at the moment - the team is playing better, our new formation and shape is getting results, Sterling's had a really good rest, and Sturridge is on his way back. When we also add Lallana (who was in great form) back in the mix, I think we have the squad to handle all 4 competitions and turn a potential car crash season into a good one, and give us momentum to challenge again next season.

Exactly and they weren't even playing well during that run. They simply took their chances ruthlessly. But we're playing reasonably well although why we sit back on teams after we get a goal I still cannot fathom for the life of me but on the whole we're playing reasonably well and we simply have to fight on the night for the win. That's what we need to do. Just get a few on the trot and we're in a much better position.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aston Villa (A) - 1 - We had a scrappy game at home to them, and lost, I expect a draw here.
West Ham (H) - 1 - We lost against them at Upton Park, quite convincingly, I hope at home we can get something out of it.
Everton  (A) - 0 - Drew against them at home, I expect they'll go one better at there place.
Tottenham (H) - 3 - We usually beat Tottenham, so a win would be good to boost moral.
Southampton (A) - 0 - There in fine form, and are the team to beat at the moment, having beaten United last week, I expect them to beat us convincingly.

Total Points: 5

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Aston Villa (A) - 1 - We had a scrappy game at home to them, and lost, I expect a draw here.
West Ham (H) - 1 - We lost against them at Upton Park, quite convincingly, I hope at home we can get something out of it.
Everton  (A) - 0 - Drew against them at home, I expect they'll go one better at there place.
Tottenham (H) - 3 - We usually beat Tottenham, so a win would be good to boost moral.
Southampton (A) - 0 - There in fine form, and are the team to beat at the moment, having beaten United last week, I expect them to beat us convincingly.

You on the right forum?

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You on the right forum?

I'd rather keep my expectations low, and then be pleased when we get more, than be over optimistic. I think whilst everyone else is very confident about the next 5 games, I think the league has improved this year, there are a lot of good teams that are hard to beat. We still have problems across the park, we aint a reformed team overnight.

I honestly believe 5-8 points will be about right, considering the way this season is going for all teams. If we beat that, then great, if not, then its just the way things are at the moment.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan

I would love to be with you in the trenches in WW3.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
If we have any ambitions of 4th we need a minimum of 11/12 points and also need to take points off spurs and southampton. It's become a bit of a cliche in the past few years about there being no genuinely bad teams in the league but this year it seems especially apt. I think a lot will hinge on how well Sturridge has recovered from injury and how quickly he gets back into the groove. If he comes back firing on all cylinders and we continue with our recent form then 11/12 points is achievable if not more
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We will beat Villa, Sturridge should be back for our next league game so beat West Ham, the derby could go either way, Tottenham we always seem to beat lately so win, Southampton away draw most likely.. I expect something like 10-13 points

Offline random22

• Kopite
I'd rather keep my expectations low, and then be pleased when we get more, than be over optimistic. I think whilst everyone else is very confident about the next 5 games, I think the league has improved this year, there are a lot of good teams that are hard to beat. We still have problems across the park, we aint a reformed team overnight.

I honestly believe 5-8 points will be about right, considering the way this season is going for all teams. If we beat that, then great, if not, then its just the way things are at the moment.

No it won't be right. If we get under 10 points from the next 15 available, our chances for a top four finish will be crushed. Our form has improved recently, and things do look a little bright at the moment with Sturridge to come back. I think we can get more than 10 points in the next five games.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:36:45 am by random22 »

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
No it won't be right. If we get under 10 points from the next 15 available, our chances for a top four finish will be crushed. Our form has improved recently, and things do look a little bright at the moment with Sturridge to come back. I think we can get more than 10 points in the next five games.

Hasn't our form in the last 5 been the best in the league?
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Have been looking at all the fixtures in the cup + league.....

Villa (a) - 3
*West Ham (h) - 3
Everton (a) - 1
Spurs (h) - 3
*Southampton (a) - 0

* Matches following a cup game

Me being a bit cautious, I think there's no reason why we can't get 10 points from those fixtures and that wouldn't be a bad return at all.

Anything more than that is very good.....anything below 9 and it will not be very good at all given the amount of "top 4" teams we are playing in the next 5 games

Crucial few weeks coming up for us
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hasn't our form in the last 5 been the best in the league?

Yes it has.

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Well it will also depend on what those that are challenging us for 4th will do also in the next 5 games. This season has been full of surprises and i suspect that will continue....

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
Yes it has.

Actually we're only secondbest. Southampton got 13 points out of their last 5 games. Those have been against Everton, Crystal Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManUtd - more or less the toughest stretch for them all year.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Actually we're only secondbest. Southampton got 13 points out of their last 5 games. Those have been against Everton, Crystal Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManUtd - more or less the toughest stretch for them all year.

Ah true, well we were first until Southampton won  ;D

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander

:o :o :o Ronald playing no games and taking no prisoners. That is impressive to say the least!
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
:o :o :o Ronald playing no games and taking no prisoners. That is impressive to say the least!

It truly is. They play tonight against Ipswich in a replay of the 3rd Round and have to go to St.James-Park after that.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
We should have had 13 as well. That draw against Leicester does my head in. I can only hope that'll we go on a great run over the next 6-7 games so I can forget about it, but those two points droped against the team at the bottom of the table was such a missed opportunity.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Considering our "excellent" goal difference, we need as many points as we can get. Both United and Arsenal are ways ahead, let alone the Saints (screw Spurs).

EDIT: 10 goals for 5 pts gap means that we have to win by 2 goals every time the competition draws. We haven't managed that in a looooong time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
Considering our "excellent" goal difference, we need as many points as we can get. Both United and Arsenal are ways ahead, let alone the Saints (screw Spurs).

EDIT: 10 goals for 5 pts gap means that we have to win by 2 goals every time the competition draws. We haven't managed that in a looooong time.

Winning by a 2 goal margin? We beat Swansea 4-1 not two weeks ago. And our most prolific goalscorer is about to come back, that might help us bolster the goal differential too.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Winning by a 2 goal margin? We beat Swansea 4-1 not two weeks ago. And our most prolific goalscorer is about to come back, that might help us bolster the goal differential too.
Yes, we are capable, but we haven't done that consistently. The only saving grace is that Sturrige has not been available. Perhaps e will be sufficiently more clinical with him and goal the difference may turn in our favor, but we're not there yet.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
Yes, we are capable, but we haven't done that consistently. The only saving grace is that Sturrige has not been available. Perhaps e will be sufficiently more clinical with him and goal the difference may turn in our favor, but we're not there yet.

To be honest with you I think we created at least three clear-cut goalscoring opportunities in every game since ManUtd away. We are just not capitalising on our chances. But since that defeat we have scored 15 goals in 7 matches (all competitions). We just need a scorer up front.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
I actually think we are going to do very well in the next few games .....going for 13 out of 15 ....draw away at Southampton

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
West Ham,
Everton,
Spurs,
Southampton,
City.

No way around it, a good or bad run could make or break our season respectively. It's going to be emotional.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Have been looking at all the fixtures in the cup + league.....

Villa (a) - 3
*West Ham (h) - 3
Everton (a) - 1
Spurs (h) - 3
*Southampton (a) - 0

* Matches following a cup game

Me being a bit cautious, I think there's no reason why we can't get 10 points from those fixtures and that wouldn't be a bad return at all.

Anything more than that is very good.....anything below 9 and it will not be very good at all given the amount of "top 4" teams we are playing in the next 5 games

Crucial few weeks coming up for us

Will stick to the above.....and think we will beat City
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline tylerjnorton

• Kopite
No better time for these 5. looking good at the moment with the imminent return of a certain goalscorer. Hoping for 11-12 pts.

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham,
Everton,
Spurs,
Southampton,
City.

No way around it, a good or bad run could make or break our season respectively. It's going to be emotional.

I agree. Probably a good time to be playing West Ham and Everton (although the Ev will be up for it). Final three will all depend on what mood our 11 are in.
YNWA.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
If we get at least 13 points out of those, it could go someway to eliminating our poor start

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
 Two

:jester
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham is a dead cert, Everton are for the taking if Sturridge is back, Spurs at home is a walkover, Soton away is difficult and that's 2-3 dropped points. City at home is a good test but I'd back us, if the Chelsea game is anything to go by.

10-13. 15 and we're nailed on for top four

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
Lose against Southampton and we can kiss top 4 goodbye straight away. We have to beat them. 

West Ham - W
Everton - W
Spurs - W
Southampton - W
City - D

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline LFC_2005

• Main Stander
i think a lot will depend on how our semi final ends up. we beat chelsea and confidence will be high. should get us  max points from  west ham, everton and spurs....southampton  and mancity will be the must win matches........i have a feeling we will turn up like we did against chelsea for these big matches....
11+ points for me......but i feel a winning streak will begin and hoping for 15 points...comon redmen!!!

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lose against Southampton and we can kiss top 4 goodbye straight away. We have to beat them. 

West Ham - W
Everton - W
Spurs - W
Southampton - W
City - D

Oof. What a set of fixtures. If we get 13 points, it's well and truly on.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
I reckon all these 5 are 6 pointers now. So 30.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
After a nice run, topped by the performance against Chelsea, the team is in full flow and brimming with confidence. We can certainly go on a run especially if with Sturridge back in.

West Ham (H) - W
Everton (A) - W (lacking confidence currently)
Spurs (H) - W
Southampton (A) - D or W (they're in great form too; draw more likely but we can pull a win)
Man City (H) - W or D (we can beat them)

Come on your red men!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
1-5

Southampton (H) <> 3p
Man City (A) <> 0p
Tottenham (A) <> 3p
Aston Villa (H) <> 0p
West Ham (A) <> 0p

6 points

6-10

Everton (H) <> 1p
WBA (H) <> 3p
QPR (A) <> 3p
Hull (H) <> 1p
Newcastle (A) <> 0p

8 points

11-15

Chelsea (H) <> 0p
Crystal Palace (A) <> 0p
Stoke (H) <> 3p
Leicester (A) <> 3p
Sunderland (A) <> 1p

7 points

16-20

Man Utd (A) <> 0p
Arsenal (H) <> 1p
Burnley (A) <> 3p
Swansea (H) <> 3p
Leicester (H) <> 1p

8 points

21-25

Sunderland (A) <> 3p
Aston Villa (A) <> 3p

... so far.

I think we're capable of taking 15 from 15 here, but with a touch of realism I'd expect 11 from 15.

West Ham (H) <> 1p
Everton (A) <> 1p
Tottenham (H) <> 3p

9 league games unbeaten run would certainly build confidence, and more so if we do well in the cups too.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
I'm always an optimist, so...

West Ham (H) - Win
Everton (A) - Win
Spurs (H) - Win
Southampton (A) - Win
Man City (H) - Draw

13 points.

We showed last season we could go on an incredible run, and it's been well documented how we are set-up to be stronger in the 2nd half of the season. We have Sturridge coming back at some point during these 5 games, and we have arguably a better squad than last year, with players like Can, Markovic, Moreno, and Lallana in really good form and getting better each week. Coutinho, Lucas and Sakho are also consistently putting in great performances.

The big factor will be the cups - this time last year we were out of the league cup, had no European games, and we went out of the FA cup in mid-February. If we go on more cup runs and get deep into the Europa and FA competitions, then our squad will be strongly tested.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Phil_YaBoots

• Boys Pen
  • Once a red, always a red!
New to the board so going to do the next 5 games from now!:

Home to West Ham - Win (3 points)
Away to Everton - Draw (1 point)
Home to Spurs - Win (3 points)
Away to Southampton - Draw (1 point)
Home to Man City - Win (3 points)

Difficult 5 matches coming up so 'would like = 15 points', 'expect (see above) = 11 points', 'would settle for = 9 points (but with no losses)'

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Toughest run of games we'll face all season 9 is probably a pass mark, 11 points would be a great result.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.