Author Topic: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox and Lenny Woods  (Read 95748 times)

Offline gadair

• Dip. Ed. (Hons.) Speling an litratchur eckspurt
  • Kopite
  • were not english we are scouse
Re: *** Bobby Wilcox - R.I.P. ***
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:21 pm »
R I P..........Y N W A

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
Re: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
RIP.  Didn't know Bobby personally, but there's not a regular matchgoer who doesn't know his face or name.

YNWA.
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 03:18:33 pm »
Rest in peace Bobby
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline JSu7777

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:10 pm »
Remember Bobby doing a strip in some gay pub (nearly went un-pc then!) down Canal St after a game in Manc and the reaction of the local clientele as Bobby got down to his rather large Y-fronts was a sight to behold!

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »
Didn't know Bobby, but deepest sympathies go to his family and friends.

YNWA Bobby
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 03:51:55 pm »
Just had a phone call about Bob only met him a few times big friends with a good mate of mine, deepest sympathies to his family and the big red family has a massive void that needs to be filled

RIP Bobby YNWA
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline JoeK

• Legacy Fan
  • Come on you tricky reds...
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 05:14:41 pm »
What a lovely, lovely man.

You'll be missed.

RIP Bobby, you'll forever be remebered with LFC, tragic, and a terrbile shame.
What bits does it have? Because as long as there's not eight inches of slaghammer down there, I'd be up it like a rat up a drainpipe

Offline AntonisCyprus

• Legacy Fan
  • Cyprus Branch
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »
ynwa
The Cyprus BRANCH RED Fans

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 05:22:18 pm »
I am shocked by this, I was playing for Bobby at the Brit only about 4 years ago, however still got to see him regurley at the games, a great man who done loads for local amateur football.

R.I.P. Bobby!

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 05:45:14 pm »
Yes i think a  little shout for Mr R.M.Wilcox  on Monday night will not go a miss .

A True Reds Legend .

not only for liverpool f.c. but the local amateur sunday league as well .
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:47:31 pm by mainstandred »

Offline kingluisgarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter@MattWood23
    • JustAnotherFootballBlog
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »
RIP Bobby

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:23 pm »
Never met the man but sounds a great fella, RIP.

Offline gorbejesus

• Anny Roader
  • The newtwork is busy You have not been charged
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 08:03:06 pm »
RIP Bob, A true decent guy who I had a lot of time for. The story at the start about the Ticket office ringing him asking him if he had any spares is 100 % true.

If anyone has any details about the Funeral arrangements can you post on here please as there may well be a few who want to pay their respects.

25 + trade count

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 08:04:29 pm »
R.I.P Mate.I didnt know him but we always spoke about "That fella who always seems to be giving tickets out".My dad likes a pint in the Globe so if we were in there on a match day we aould always see this group in the corner.If its the same man?
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »
R.I.P.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline davebils

• Anny Roader
  • Live and Breathe L.F.C
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »
To Bobby's wife Mary, children, grandchildren and many friends
my sincere condolences on the loss of a wonderful man and a truly great Red.

R.I.P

YNWA
YNWA

Offline RedAtHeart

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 08:46:14 pm »
R.I.P.
Boom

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »
R.I.P

YNWA

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:08 pm »
R.I.P. Bobby
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »

RiP Bobby.
87:13

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 09:58:41 pm »
Didn't know him but sounds like a really good and generous man.

R.I.P Bobby

YNWA
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »
I had the pleasure of going on one of his coaches back in 01/02

Great Man

He'll be sharing many a memory, with Shanks, Paisley and Fagan tonight....
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline Fjohn

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 11:11:15 pm »
RIP Bobby.

YNWA
No money, no credibility, no honesty, no integrity, no dignity, no custodian. HICKS OUT...

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2009, 12:10:53 am »
Bobby is someone i've known for the last 8 years or so. Through a family friend Mick i've got to know him and one of the Globe Rat Pack sits next to me in the kop in our kids seat.
Bobby was one of the nicest and most accomodating guys you could wish to meet, to say he was a true red does him a disservice as fans like Bob are few and far between.
He will be sadly missed by many, many people including myself and Mick Roby who broke the news to me this morning.

R.I.P Bobby - You'll Never Walk Alone

My Heartfelt condolences go out to Mary and the Wilcox Family.

Davy  Calder
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We write our own history
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:04 am »
RIP

Ted the Red and family & all the Leather Bottle Reds
2013/2014 My 51st year with hope in my heart

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2009, 03:29:20 am »
never met the man but sounds like a true gentleman and i will remember his name now forever

RIP

YNWA
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Reds4Life

• Foot In Mouth Disease and Negative Hate Campaign Victim.
  • Kopite
  • LFC - A bastion of invincibility
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 04:57:33 am »
RIP Bobby lad.

If only half our supporters were as passionate as you lad, we'd never lose.

Would love the Kop to honour the man against Everton and for everyone to pay their respect in the true Liverpool fashion, red or blue.
To all the people lucky enough to be in the ground to watch the redmen play. This is your chance. This is your moment. This is your opportunity to lose your voice, the chance to display your unswerving loyalty in search of the holy grail. We shall overcome. We shall unite. We shall believe. We shall share in the spoils of victory!

YNWA, JFT 96

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:11 am »
Just noticing that only 68 tributes about bobby on here  shows the change in the support base me think .

If there is anyone who is a legend is is bobby wilcox and i would like to think monday we could sing his name just for a little time as a tribute to a reds legend .

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2009, 10:49:53 am »
Just noticing that only 68 tributes about bobby on here  shows the change in the support base me think .

If there is anyone who is a legend is is bobby wilcox and i would like to think monday we could sing his name just for a little time as a tribute to a reds legend

There's a lot more Notice's over on RAOTL,which is more  Scouse/Local people who actually knew Bobby,maybe that might have something to do with the less Notice's/Tributes.

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 11:24:15 am »
R.I.P YNWA

Offline mikeedee

• Main Stander
  • We've created a monster!!!!!
    • MySpace
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 01:18:25 pm »
R.I.P. Bobby
The people who dish out honours are not my people, my people go to Anfield. If I can make you all happy, then that is my greatest ambition.
     Very sincerely,
        Bill Shankly.

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »
Sad news.. thoughts and prayers with Bobbys family YNWA
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline the mighty kemlyn

• Main Stander
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »
Absolutely gutted. An era has ended.
R.I.P big fella YNWA.

"Every side in London has a distinct identity, but Liverpool is like a separate country to the rest of England. I don't think there is a club in the whole world where there's a connection with a city like Liverpool and the people."

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:26 pm »
YNWA
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »

If there is anyone who is a legend is is bobby wilcox and i would like to think monday we could sing his name just for a little time as a tribute to a reds legend .

alas mate, that is the truth....'one by one the stars are going out'

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »
know the face seen him several times - thoughts go out his family..
Keeping the faith

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2009, 05:10:17 pm »
Rest In Peace Bobby
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline 6 Euros

• Soon to be worth about a tenner!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2009, 05:48:18 pm »
Sincere condolences to the family and friends, just an thought, but could somebody contact the club and ask for it to be mentioned next Monday evening.

RIP..........YNWA

From liverpoolfc.tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162878090116-1719.htm

The greatest Liverpool fan I ever knew died this week. I’ll correct that: probably the greatest Liverpool fan anyone ever knew died this week. 
As one of his friends put it on hearing the sad news, ‘If Bill Shankly was Liverpool’s greatest manager, and Kenny Dalglish Liverpool’s greatest player, then Bobby Wilcox was surely the club’s greatest supporter.’

It was always a great source of amusement to Bobby and his ilk - the likes of Lenny Woods, Sully, et al - when this accolade was suggested. It wasn’t important to them and they’d dismiss it with a, ‘We’re all Reds together’. Well some Reds are more equal than others; some are writ through large with the name Liverpool Football Club’; some are quite, simply, legendary. Step up to the plate, Bobby Wilcox.

This isn’t an obituary for Bobby Wilcox, the man. I’m not qualified to write that. I only knew Bobby as a Liverpool supporter. It is clear, however, from the tributes being paid from all quarters that he was loved and respected throughout the city of Liverpool. He was truly one of the city’s greatest characters.

Bobby was a giant on the local Liverpool amateur football scene, with over 25 years service as secretary of the hugely successful Britannia FC in the Liverpool and District Sunday League. However, amongst the family of Liverpool supporters, his star shone even brighter. He was larger than life, recognised by Reds the world over, and held in great respect by every fan he ever came into contact with.

Wherever Liverpool played - Wilcox was there. And he wasn’t there alone. Bobby organised travel, tickets and accommodation for countless fans over the years, hauling them to all four corners of Europe and beyond. Without Bobby’s tireless energy, humour and plain silliness many Reds would never have made it.

Without Bobby’s famous ‘Wilcox Tours’ (Never Knowingly Underdrunk) many younger Reds may never have caught the Liverpool bug. Bobby and his famous plastic carrier bag were a common sight, a permanent fixture, almost, at airports, train stations and the football grounds of Europe.

In fact, I believe his carrier bag had been to so many European away games it has more appearances than Ian Callaghan and Phil Neal combined.

Those youngsters that caught the bug whilst under Wilcox’s wing benefited from the experience of his 40 years of following his beloved Reds the length and breadth of the land. A good pal of his wrote this week, ‘What Liverpool Football Club has lost with his passing is a true anchor to the days where lads from our city, local supporters, were given the opportunity to follow their team all over the world, and without that Liverpool loses its soul.’

Bobby Wilcox was as good an example of the soul of this football club - of this city - as I have ever seen.

And that’s what’s so important. Bobby’s legacy is not the fact that he supported Liverpool everywhere they played; but rather the manner in which he supported Liverpool, and the example he was. This is his legacy, not the stamps on his passport. Above it all there was his utter devotion to the team he loved - the team he supported with all the glee of a little kid and all the experience of one of Shankly’s original Kopites.

He was a magnificent ambassador abroad for our club and our city. On a personal level he was similarly charismatic. Bobby would argue with you ‘til the cows came home, then buy you a pint; he would burst suddenly into song without warning, sometimes whilst in mid-conversation with you and sometimes singing total gibberish. He would mercilessly take the mickey out of you then give you a little wink; it was never serious with Bobby.

I’ve heard a rumour that he was quiet once, but I don’t believe it. If Bobby wasn’t gabbling fifteen to the dozen, he was singing; if he was doing neither he was more than likely downing a pint. His singing - alongside his buddy Lenny Woods (The Mulligan and O’Hare of The Albert) - is legendary and he entertained the lads and lasses on many a long train journey, or during many a post-Derby game victory singsong in the pub. Yes, his singing...

Bobby will be fondly remembered as one of Liverpool’s great football crooners, and I will never hear the line ‘His name was Johnny Barnes ...’ again without seeing his face all crinkled up and his eyes glinting behind his glasses, knowing that this was Bobby Wilcox in his element: his mates, a pint and a song about the team he loved.

Bobby Wilcox passed away this week in the Royal Hospital in Liverpool.
He had only very recently been diagnosed with cancer and his family were with him at the bedside. He was 60 years old.

Bobby Wilcox, 1948 - 2009: Scouser, Legend, Liverpudlian. Rest In Peace.

The author, John Mackin, runs the independent Liverpool website www.raotl.co.uk, otherwise known as The Rattle. 

Tony

"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent." Bob Paisley on the Kop

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »
Didn't know him personally but defo one of those faces that you just always see.

Sounds like a great fella, RIP.

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2009, 06:14:52 pm »
 RIP.YNWA Bobby.Never met him but sounds a great man.Condolences to his family