Author Topic: Liverpool 1-1 Man City (2-1): (Gerrard, pen) Half time.....  (Read 90558 times)

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Personally I can't fucking wait.. cup games at Anfield are always that bit more special in my eyes. Nervous but confident. Come on the red men!

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
Have to admit Im struggling to get too excited about tomorrow.

When the draw was made, I thought it would be a great tie, and the atmosphere tomorrow would be bouncing. Not so sure anymore.

If we do get through, so what? Honestly, so what? It's only the Carling Cup. Im not wuming, it's the truth. It's a trophy you pay little attention to when you're in the hunt for the top prizes.

Sure Id like to go to Wembley, and sure its been too long without a trophy. Ill want us to win as much as anyone tomorrow, but in all honesty, us winning this trophy would prove what? What would it signify?

I know it's been common recently to say that winning any trophy breeds a winning mentality. But does it? I mean, we won the league cup in 1995 and never won anything else under Evans. We won it under Houllier in 2001 and it spurred us on to win the 2 other cups. We lost in the final in Rafa's first season but still won the champions league and fa cups in successive seasons.

I've argued for a while that the Carling Cup is perfect for a big club starved of success (like Chelsea in 05, United the year after that, us in 01) and I stand by that. But I cant lie to myself, Im struggling to get too excited about tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things it means fuck all really bar a nice day out.

I know the old mantra about "Liverpool exists to win trophies" but thats quite clearly bollocks. I wouldnt swap the 06-09 years under Rafa after the FA Cup win for 30 consecutive league cup successes. We could win the carling cup for the next 4 years, but Kenny will be sacked if we're constantly 6th.

Sorry to be a downer, but thats how I feel at the moment. Think the last 2 results have knocked the stuffing out of me to be honest.
Do not underestimate the psychological effect that such an achievement can have on those at the club. There are players in the squad who have not tasted glory in a red shirt. It is a step in the right direction. The significance of a cup win is that we can compete with big clubs on a big stage and bring home silverware. It is massive
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
So long as City win it then 6th place gets UEFA I think.....however, we will beat/draw with them tomorrow.
I believe that if City go through to the final, Cardiff will play in Europe (assuming City will get a CL place, which is not a long stretch). And if something similar happens with the FA Cup (a team below us win it or lose the final to a CL team), we need to finish 5th. And we know the consequences of not doing that that all too well...

I really hope we win tomorrow for the reasons you mentioned earlier; most likely the fate of our season will be defined.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JN Jonsson

• Considerably richer than yow... richer even than Southern Pansy
  • Kopite
  • Hub of the Internet-Terrorists.
A win is always a win.
Gimme gimme jon, Gimme jonjoooohhh
(Britney Speares - Give me moore)

Offline JN Jonsson

• Kopite
Can't editt for some reason, but my point is that a trophy is also always a trophy. All clubs want's to win this trophy,  whatever they say after dropping out of it.

The FA-Cup might have higher priority/flashiness/rank , but in the end its all the same and an achievement no matter what somebody say.
As they say - You have to start to win things before you can conquer the world.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Really hope we go for this from the off, if we try to defend a league from the start I can only see it going one way, and that's not our way.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Really hope we go for this from the off, if we try to defend a league from the start I can only see it going one way, and that's not our way.

Defend a league? :D

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
Cant hope to sit back,defend and win the tie.
They'll rip us.

We need to attack,get the early goal.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Shitting it to be honest.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
The whole "meaningless trophy" thing only comes from shite fans who have been brainwashed by Sky into thinking the only real trophies to win are the League and Champions League because managers of bigger clubs use it as a chance to throw in their squad players and reserves. That's why not as many people are interested in it because there's less appeal in the lower rounds. The players won't see it like that.

Our run hasn't been the easiest, playing Stoke, Chelsea and City away. If we win it, it's a good accomplishment given that we've not won anything for 6 years. If we win it and are still in the FA Cup at that point in time, I'm sure the players will be hungry for more success and another Wembley final which will be good for their motivation in the tournament.

Another good outcome of a win of this trophy is that it's guaranteed European football next season. We're not exactly setting the league alight at the moment so it might be at least a good fall back if we don't finish in the top 6 which is a real possibility, though I don't see it.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
I've been looking forward to this since we won the first leg. Still quietly confident, but as others have said we cannot sit back and try and try and protect the lead. We need to get at them from the start.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
As we won't score I hope we can play some decent defense and maybe get a 0-0 if we are fortunate.

Not feeling confident ahead of this one...............

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
C'mon Reds, do us proud!  You can beat Man City, you've already done it once.  Everyone at Anfield make it a night to remember!!!

That's more like it.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
It'd be interesting to look at the Exeter pre-match thread, make a list of names who said they don't care about the Carling Cup and cross-reference it with this thread

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
    • The Who Boys
It has been said that Liverpool Football Club exist to win trophies.

I beg to differ.

Trophies exist to be won by Liverpool Football Club.

WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
If Spearing isn't fit to play tomorrow then I'd love Kenny to take a punt on Aurelio in the center of the field, sure he may get injured after 10 minutes but I think it is a risk worth taking especially since Adam has been out of form for so long, gives the ball away too many times, is slow and commits fouls at dangerous areas, as far as I remember, Aurelio completed the full 90 minutes against these lot last year at Anfield.

Reina
Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
Henderson Aurelio
Maxi Gerrard Downing
Carroll

Would be my preferred team against these lot, may use Adam, Shelvey and Bellamy as impact subs when legs tire in the second half, would be better if we're winning and Bellamy is rested for the Man U game on Saturday.

And Brentie, I will post tomorrow in the other thread why I think no Europa League football this year harmed us, and why qualifying for it next year won't be as bad as you make it out.

Buzzing for this, Come on you Red Men, prove your worth on the pitch and play better than against Bolton, give us the football we all know you're capable of.

Onwards & upwards YNWA
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
What do you lads think? Is this game more important than the semi final of the Europa League against Atleti two seasons back?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
What do you lads think? Is this game more important than the semi final of the Europa League against Atleti two seasons back?

Completely different.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

I'll admit I was completely arrogant going into both legs of that semi, so didn't get the nervousness. Plus, its now been 6 years rather than 4 since we last won a trophy, and I'm getting a bit obsessively desperate to see Gerrard lift some silverware

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Defend a league? :D

:D

Can't even say it was a freudian slip, we're nowhere fucking near
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
Completely different.

Yeah, circumstances are different, too.

If we can progress tomorrow, I feel it could give us huge momentum from here until the end of the season, not too different from 08/09 when we trounced Madrid in the CL. Guess who we had then four days later. The same lot we've gone this Saturday...

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...

I beg to differ.

Superb.  I'm gonna nick that quote.

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan

I beg to differ.

Nice!

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.

I beg to differ.

sphinx is that you?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:39:21 am by Dmode101 »
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
i think the fact we will would play Cardiff in the final makes it all the more squeaky bum timey. THIS is the the final in my eyes, also bricking it seeing Aguero's comments that guy just plain scares me, if theres one plus its that Balotelli is out which means there best penalty taker isnt around as i can see this going the distance im going to go for.
2-1 City full time (2-2)  Richards from a corner, Aguero from a Silva pass, Gerrard from a free kick

Penalty's will then follow... and i can see that annoyingly good keeper Hart stopping a few.... shit this is going to be a hard match

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
i think the fact we will would play Cardiff in the final makes it all the more squeaky bum timey. THIS is the the final in my eyes, also bricking it seeing Aguero's comments that guy just plain scares me, if theres one plus its that Balotelli is out which means there best penalty taker isnt around as i can see this going the distance im going to go for.
2-1 City full time (2-2)  Richards from a corner, Aguero from a Silva pass, Gerrard from a free kick

Penalty's will then follow... and i can see that annoyingly good keeper Hart stopping a few.... shit this is going to be a hard match
2-1 to city by the end of the game means no penos, just extra time where if we fail to score they go to the final.

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, circumstances are different, too.

If we can progress tomorrow, I feel it could give us huge momentum from here until the end of the season, not too different from 08/09 when we trounced Madrid in the CL. Guess who we had then four days later. The same lot we've gone this Saturday...

ha i watched those highlights just today Masch, Gerrard, Alonso those were the days

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
    • The Who Boys

WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
    • The Who Boys
Right, so on a more serious note:

Reina

Johnson   Skrtel    Agger    Enrique

Downing     Spearing (if fit?)    Maxi

Gerrard

Bellamy
               Carroll

WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

• Legacy Fan
Right, so on a more serious note:

Reina

Johnson   Skrtel    Agger    Enrique

Downing     Spearing (if fit?)    Maxi

Gerrard

Bellamy
               Carroll
This lineup is suicidal mate, especially against a midfield like City.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Balotelli is going to be out now right?                       

City will be something like:

Hart
Richards Savic Lescott Clichy
              Milner  Barry
        Nasri    Silva   Johnson 
                  Aguero

I'd like to see us play

Reina
              Kelly Skrtel Agger
   Johnson                           Enrique
       Henderson  Spearing  Gerrard 

Downing       
                               Bellamy

Absorb pressure and try and hit them on the counter. I reckon Savic will find Bellamy a real handful.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
Absolutely gutted. Just found out I have to cover for an ill colleague and have to work tonight, of all nights.

Guess I'll be glued to my phone then.
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
    • The Who Boys
This lineup is suicidal mate, especially against a midfield like City.

I'm not sure we have a less suicidal lineup, to be fair.  We have no proper holding midfielder.  If not spearing, then Henderson or Adam? Shelvey?  If we load up on too many midfielders, we'll end up having to sit back for 90 minutes and that is no easy task.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:34:53 am by bclfc »

WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The point about our centre midfield: to me, the staff are going to play a pivotal role in this game, more than any one player.

It's not as clear-cut as saying play Stevie and Adam in the centre and we're going to get stuffed. We could play them there, give clear instructions to hold, always to provide cover to whichever player on the side of their side of the pitch in our third for the entirety of the game and while we're never going to hit the security that two quality cms can provide we'll do ok if the players follow instructions. If we give these two license to choose their runs though we'll be fucked.

After having a clear gameplan, there's the big detail of training working off the ball as a unit for this particular game, based on the usual movement of the City players which, against the big teams always, we have shown we are decent at.

In terms of being a springboard to success, while it's true to an extent trophies sharpen the hunger in players to consistently get them, it only does it in  players who are of a certain mindset, who are by nature going to try to improve anyway. If you're the type that thinks you've made it after signing for Liverpool, it's not going to do much. The league cup under Evans was a decent example, that squad of players were simply not professional enough to win consistently, the trophy changed nothing.

Still, the main thing is that it's another trophy under our 'honours won' section, about time we added a few.

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
I'm not sure we have a less suicidal lineup, to be fair.  We have no proper holding midfielder.  If not spearing, then Henderson or Adam? Shelvey?  If we load up on too many midfielders, we'll end up having to sit back for 90 minutes and that is no easy task.

anything with more than just Spearing in midfield is less suicidal.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
If no Spearing, then it has to be three at the back. One of which will need to step out to fill in at midfield from time to time. 3-4-3. I doubt Bellamy will back up from Saturday.

Pepe
Skrtel Carra Agger
Johnson Gerrard Hendo Enrique
Downing Carroll Kuyt

The folly of not rectifying our shortcomings in midfield  :butt

Agree with everything you've said practically, but I think Bellamy could put in a shift if it looks like impending extra time.

Spearing is going to be very important for the rest of this season so I would hope his minutes would be managed properly if he gets a start.

I like how Kenny called the team out after Bolton because their awareness will hopefully be ultra sharp and we won't concede early. (fingers crossed)

Offline Live in the Now

• Legacy Fan
Shitting it to be honest.

You're not alone. Haven't looked forward to a match more in years.

Offline JN Jonsson

• Kopite
Spoiler; Bellamy wont start, he did start a game few days ago and haven't started two games in a row for......years? :(

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nervous about tonight because, simply put, we are a jekyll and hyde team right now and I haven't got a fucking clue which one is going to turn up.

One thing I will say is that Spearing MUST play tonight if we are to have any chance. When he went off in the first leg we completely changed mindset and went defensive, and without him in the middle protecting the centrebacks there is a feeding ground for Nasri, Aguero and Silva to drop deep and kill us.

Offline JN Jonsson

• Kopite
People are talking so much about Spearing!

Going to throw in a card here;

Carroll must play. I can already see the headlines;

"Liverpool scapegoat sinks City as LFC moves into the finals"

He starts of slowly, but starts to mash them after 15 mins. First in the 26min, second in the 44th.

Remember where you did read it first.

GO ON YOU REDS - I am buzzing for this and I know that today our team will make _ALL_ our fans propud (Since its obvious some fans aint so proud at the moment)