Author Topic: When Saturday Comes  (Read 7302 times)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
When Saturday Comes
« on: January 21, 2004, 02:18:10 pm »
The latest issue of When Saturday Comes has a picture of Harry Kewell and Emile Heskey wheeling away after scoring with the caption "Minimum Target for Liverpool" - Harry is saying 'three more wins and we avoid relegation'.

For the neutral, this has been an interesting season so far. United do what United always do; in fact they are doing it better than last season. They have also entertained us off the pitch; we have had the Rio carnival, and the Magnier/Ferguson lawsuit steeplechase.

Arsenal have played jaw-dropping football, and have produced an amazing comeback in the CL group stages. And Chelsea have quite simply boggled the mind of the average fan with their spending power. Their fitful form on the pitch has kept them in touch domestically and in Europe. “And they are still bedding in”. The Roman revolution still has many more turns to take, but it seems inevitable that they have become a real challenge and threat to the duopoly that Arsenal and Manchester United have enjoyed over the past few seasons.

And Liverpool? Well, our club is a laughing stock. In some quarters this verges on pity. Having started the season with a tempered sense of optimism, we are now reduced to scrapping it out in mid table; we are interested in the results of Fulham and Charlton as a yardstick of our progress up the table. In our defence, we have had half a season of debilitating injuries; but also crass tactical mismanagement.

Team selections often appear to have been based upon drawing names out of beret; the squad players are squad players for a reason. Too many faces have failed to fit; too many players have had their potential wasted as first team players set their own sights low and then missed. The gnomic utterances of our manager have left fans confused, or outraged, or both. In any case, they have given the media plenty of ammunition to fire at our manager.

The stated ambition to achieve FOURTH place is the one that has caused us the most amount of harm. It has rightly agitated our own fans - appalled by the perceived lack of ambition. It has given opposition fans a great opportunity to extract fun at our expense. It has provided the critics in the media with a ready-made stick to beat the manager.

The Chairman has essentially offered to stand down at the end of the season if we do not achieve this goal. Since his faith in the manager is unshakeable, and their fortunes are inextricably linked, it seems inevitable that they would both have to go if this situation arises. Some of the stuff that comes out of Anfield these days needs treatment before it is fit for human consumption. Does this club have a press officer? Media relations? Do they actually have any feeling for the club that they work for? Whatever. They need to be fired; they’re doing a terrible job.

So can we achieve a top four finish? Well my opinion is that if we do achieve CL football it will overwhelmingly be due to the poor standard of competition in the Premiership this season. Its mid season, and already the top three are already sailing off into the sunset. The rest are swilling around somewhere between the open season and the sewage outfall.

The gulf between the top and the bottom is immense, but there is not much to separate the rest in between. The joke on the cover of WSC made me laugh, but it chilled me to the bone, because despite the clear nonsense of relegation, our form since November 2001 has largely been average at best, with one or two little moments to cling onto. We are one of many clubs in with a chance of a top four finish. We should achieve a UEFA slot. Yippee. Liverpool Football Club is HMS Mediocrity, marooned in the sea of the average.

If we do achieve CL football, it will not be due to the high command and expertise of the manager. The talent assembled at Anfield should be capable of challenging for the highest honours at home and in Europe. We do not do this, and it appears we can no longer do this. Dortmund seems a distant memory; the expectation inside and outside the club since then appears to have eaten away at confidence ever since.

Ultimately, this is due to the leadership that they are given. In any sphere of human interaction, the quality of individuals and the nature of the work that they achieve can only truly be realised by the leadership of others. This is true whether it is Anfield Football Ground or Anfield Cemetery.

When Saturday comes; or Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday or sodding Sunday, it fills me with anxiety and dread. I feel like that these days, I wonder how do the players feel?

There is a broad consensus, echoed in the Chairman’s comments, that if we get fourth, the manager will keep his job, and that we proceed as before. I no longer believe that that is good enough. Gerard Houllier has propelled this club as far as he can. The high water mark was Dortmund. Although we have had a few decent high tide lines since then our performance levels have dropping.

I think he needs to go, and he needs to go now. And I think that Phil Thompson has to go with him. I believe that a new manager, even a caretaker manager until the summer, can capitalise upon the adverse predicament that we are in, and actually salvage something from this shipwreck of a season.

The cover in question:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:18:33 am by Rushian »

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: When Saturday Comes.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 02:56:39 pm »
Makes worrying but interesting reading.
I'm surprised you think that getting rid of GH and PT now would  be sensible. Sacking a manager mid season would be terribly unsettling to an already unsettled squad.
Whether we achieve 4th place or not, major questions have been raised about the manager this season and something serious has to change over the summer. Whether that means replacing the manager remains to be seen and is something that should be looked at closer to the time.
If you think we're in a crisis now, sacking the manager who has been the architect of every aspect of the club for 5 years would cause a REAL crisis.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 03:01:09 pm »
a real crisis adamski?

i take it this is a mild crisis?
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 03:08:26 pm »
yes it is if you have a bit of perspective.
Newcastle haven't won a trophy in years despite spending similar money.
Leeds are in a REAL crisis.
If we are successful in the second half of the season when half our team come back from injury, we will once again be in europe's premier competition and can start afresh from next season.
Many clubs would be happy to be in our position.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 03:20:18 pm »
Excellent piece Michael.

Was dreading tonights game this morning. And I thought 'Fuck!.. dreading a game v the bottom side (but1)!?'

But SG is back now. Our engine. Sometimes our only engine. And am feeling much more positive. My instinct tells me we've reached the nadir, and my faith is returning, as are our players. Welcome back Carra + SG.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 03:28:54 pm »

Except Liverpool  :-\

We are in a spot of bother. I really think we need to see how the 2nd half of the season goes.

We have 17 games still to play - we are capable of going unbeaton for most of that....so lets get behined everyone. Even if we DID sack the managment now, we are not going to win the league this season are we, let alone qualify for champ league....so get behined GH, PT and the lads, and roar the mighty reds back into the champs league - where we belong !!!

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 03:33:35 pm »

Makes worrying but interesting reading.
I'm surprised you think that getting rid of GH and PT now would  be sensible. Sacking a manager mid season would be terribly unsettling to an already unsettled squad.
Whether we achieve 4th place or not, major questions have been raised about the manager this season and something serious has to change over the summer. Whether that means replacing the manager remains to be seen and is something that should be looked at closer to the time.
If you think we're in a crisis now, sacking the manager who has been the architect of every aspect of the club for 5 years would cause a REAL crisis.

yes it is if you have a bit of perspective.
Newcastle haven't won a trophy in years despite spending similar money.
Leeds are in a REAL crisis.
If we are successful in the second half of the season when half our team come back from injury, we will once again be in europe's premier competition and can start afresh from next season.

Agreed and agreed.

Sacking GH would be the worst possible thing to do now. In the summer, there will clearly be a lot of debate, reflection on a so far disappointing season, and I can only honestly see him seeing out his contract if we start playing like we did against Blackburn away, Arsenal at home, on a regular basis, and easily getting into fourth. Cups will be a nice bonus but I can't see them saving Gerard.

Its all about performances, desire, passion & ability. If we show we can mix it with the big boys (again) then he should rightly get another crack at challenging for no. 19.

Moot point in a way though. Houllier won't go before the end of the season. Not a chance in hell.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 03:43:55 pm by Byrnee »
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 03:45:03 pm »
Another thing which is extremely important is whether or not we play well against Arsenal and Man U away. We've already sought revenge for the Chelsea game. We need to do the same to the others.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 06:19:06 pm »
This  joke is  always reeled out this time  this  year about  some team or other, or is said by the manager of some team doing surprisingly well  (eg  George Burley at the beginning of 2001 or Gordon Strachan last season). The last time I heard it about us was  around  ’94, but I also remember an Evertonian  mate  using it  in about ’81 – ’82.

Don’t take it so seriously. WSC have a long history of covers taking the piss out of LFC. May personal favourite  from  about 1986  has  Dalglish leaning over to  Ronny Moran  on the bench 
At Anfield during a match  saying “you can see  my house from here”, ie the message is it’s so boring us winning the title every year.

The fact that anyone can DARE to  make this joke about us, that we have been making about  for example Everton  25 years out of the last  30,  doesn’t mean “our club is a laughing stock”.  Only  3  teams have performed substantially  better than ours this season and  most  knowledgeable followers acknowledge that.  And they also acknowledge that the injuries to key players have been crucial.  Furthermore most  of the financially  literate  football followers  in the UK  would acknowledge that in terms of wise fiscal management  and future prospects for wise fiscal management we are in  the top  3, possibly the top  2, depending on how  sceptical you are about the future  of Chelsea .   Emile Heskey  (without Owen) is  intermittently a laughing stock for many, Igor  Biscan  for  many more, and M. Houllier’s  excuses (what "gnomic utterances , though ??) have certainly become  a laughing stock for some, but   our club is not a laughing  stock. It’s history and its future  are the envy  of  most  supporters in the UK and Europe.

You seem outraged that “we are interested in the results of Fulham and Charlton”.  And why  not ?  A couple of   years ago we were interested in the results of  Ipswich,  12 years ago  we were interested in the results of Leeds &  Sheff Wed  , 22 years ago  we were interested in the results of   Swansea City, this time about 32  years ago in the results of Derby county, this time about  42 years ago in the results of  Orient.  And where are that lot now ??? 52 years ago, by the way,  Charlton were indeed our closest rivals, finishing 1 place & 1 point ahead of us in Div. 1.

So  don’t panic !

“The stated ambition to achieve fourth place” – you write as if this was stated at the start of the season – no  it was stated we’d  already clearly blown a  top  3  finish – it  would be DAFT to have come out and said anything else, and it’s right  that  we are aiming for 4th. Who knows,  if one of the top 3 blows up we might get 3rd, but  it’s  a  long  shot.  One of the few points I do agree with you about though is that  some -- but I would say  mostly M. Houllier himself -  could do with  being guided  a bit more  as to how their words will be reported.

How is replacing the manager now going to help ?  And  what is your  justification for suggesting that Thommo should go  too, just when we need him most ?? When  has replacing a manager anywhere in mid- season ever led anyone to capture a Champions League  place  ??   Oh yes, only ever once,  in 2001-2 ………….  When Thommo stepped in for Gérard.

Shankly  KEPT  Paisley, Bennet  & Fagan when he took over,  anyway, and THANK GOODNESS he did. Just PRAY if you believe in  anything to pray  to that  M. Houllier’s successor keeps  Phil & Sammy Lee.   I have a feeling that  manager  will be someone who knows he NEEDS to keep them, anyway.

“Their fortunes are inextricably linked.”  Not necessarily.  I  think we could finish  4th, and
Moores could stay,   and  we could  look for a new manager. Of course  Moores has to back Houllier publicly  all through the season, just as Houllier has to back  Heskey, but that doesn’t mean they any longer  have “unshakeable faith”  or necessarily  believe that  their erstwhile protégé is the best way forward in future.

“Our form  since November 2001 has largely been average at best …..the high water mark was Dortmund.”  No, that was only a high water mark in terms of supporter euphoria, though many of us who  could not  be at the 3 finals  (and many who were ) always saw the treble for what it was and didn’t get carried away.
In terms of performances, some  in  01-02, especially the likes of Kiev away  and Roma  home, and the run we put in from January, including  the  4-0 at Leeds  and the 6-0 at Ipswich,   less than 2 years  ago, that was the high water mark, all occurring when the Red team  spirit was at its very best at the start of,  during  and  the end of M. Houllier’s illness, playing  for Gérard Houllier. And we did top the table just  14 months ago, though  yes we only played really well a couple of times in that period, though against  a very useful Leeds  less than 15 months ago (the 1-0 game ) we were simply outstanding.

We outplayed Arsenal  at Anfield 4 months ago, we  beat Chelsea at the Bridge a fortnight ago, and FINALLY  we can  have our best  midfield partnership  and  a  proven strike partnership  in action  again  TONIGHT.

I just hope in less than hour, when 7.15  comes,  I don't see 1 or 2 particular names on the stubborn streak .... oops I mean the team sheet

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 06:24:45 pm »
nice to read something optimistic  :wave

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 11:57:10 pm »
Don’t take it so seriously. WSC have a long history of covers taking the piss out of LFC.

I know they have Nige, I have been reading it off and on for years. I didn't take it seriously, it made me laugh. Thanks for your responses; I admire your unfailing optimism, but mine took a hike a couple of weeks ago...

The fact that anyone can DARE to  make this joke about us, that we have been making about  for example Everton  25 years out of the last  30,  doesn’t mean “our club is a laughing stock”.

It isn't a question of daring to laugh. It is the fact that the club are handing gift wrapped gaffes and inane quotes to the media. These are then manipulated (although some of them hardly need manipulation) and it pains me to see it happen when it is easily avoidable.

Only 3  teams have performed substantially  better than ours this season and  most  knowledgeable followers acknowledge that.  And they also acknowledge that the injuries to key players have been crucial.

Well, we won't split hairs regarding Charlton or Newcastle. I agree that injuries have been crucial, but we have performed poorly even nearing full strength. And every team above and below us has injuries of some degree.

Furthermore most  of the financially  literate  football followers  in the UK  would acknowledge that in terms of wise fiscal management  and future prospects for wise fiscal management we are in  the top  3, possibly the top  2, depending on how  sceptical you are about the future  of Chelsea .

Regrettably the Institute of Chartered Accountants doesn't award any league points for this...

Emile Heskey  (without Owen) is  intermittently a laughing stock for many, Igor  Biscan  for  many more, and M. Houllier’s  excuses (what "gnomic utterances , though ??) have certainly become  a laughing stock for some, but   our club is not a laughing  stock. It’s history and its future  are the envy  of  most  supporters in the UK and Europe.

Resting on laurels doesn't get you anywhere, ask Wolves! They last won the league 40 odd years ago, but they showed more heart tonight than we did. Where alarm bells ringing at Nottingham Forest twenty years ago? No on envies their position at the foot of Division One now, even if their European Cups look nice in the trophy cabinet.

You seem outraged that “we are interested in the results of Fulham and Charlton”.  And why  not ?  A couple of   years ago we were interested in the results of  Ipswich,  12 years ago  we were interested in the results of Leeds &  Sheff Wed  , 22 years ago  we were interested in the results of   Swansea City, this time about 32  years ago in the results of Derby county, this time about  42 years ago in the results of  Orient.  And where are that lot now ??? 52 years ago, by the way,  Charlton were indeed our closest rivals, finishing 1 place & 1 point ahead of us in Div. 1.

So  don’t panic !

This is my concern too! I think you are looking at a half full glass; mine is definitely half empty! I'm not panicking; I do not for one minute believe that we are in terminal decline, but I bet all of those clubs thought the same thing when they saw their form begin to slip.

“The stated ambition to achieve fourth place” – you write as if this was stated at the start of the season – no  it was stated we’d  already clearly blown a  top  3  finish – it  would be DAFT to have come out and said anything else, and it’s right  that  we are aiming for 4th. Who knows,  if one of the top 3 blows up we might get 3rd, but  it’s  a  long  shot.  One of the few points I do agree with you about though is that  some -- but I would say  mostly M. Houllier himself -  could do with  being guided  a bit more  as to how their words will be reported.

I know when and why it was said; but it is up there with the alleged 'five year plan' as a stick to be beaten with. He is totally in a corner with the media, it's basic media relations. He is a bright man and I have no idea why he continues to put his foot in his mouth like this. We will not get third. No way.

How is replacing the manager now going to help ?  And  what is your  justification for suggesting that Thommo should go  too, just when we need him most ?? When  has replacing a manager anywhere in mid- season ever led anyone to capture a Champions League  place  ??   Oh yes, only ever once,  in 2001-2 ………….  When Thommo stepped in for Gérard.

Shankly  KEPT  Paisley, Bennet  & Fagan when he took over,  anyway, and THANK GOODNESS he did. Just PRAY if you believe in  anything to pray  to that  M. Houllier’s successor keeps  Phil & Sammy Lee.   I have a feeling that  manager  will be someone who knows he NEEDS to keep them, anyway.

I would keep Sammy Lee, and Steve Heighway too. I think PT is too inextricably linked with Ged to be able to maintain his position at the club in the event of Ged leaving. This goes for Damiano too.

“Their fortunes are inextricably linked.”  Not necessarily.  I  think we could finish 4th, and
Moores could stay,  and  we could  look for a new manager. Of course  Moores has to back Houllier publicly all through the season, just as Houllier has to back  Heskey, but that doesn’t mean they any longer  have “unshakeable faith”  or necessarily  believe that  their erstwhile protégé is the best way forward in future.

I think we could finish fourth too, because we have such talented players, for which we can thank Ged in many cases. So if Moores stays, the question is whether he has the stomach to ditch Gerard  for the greater good of the club.

“Our form  since November 2001 has largely been average at best …..the high water mark was Dortmund.”  No, that was only a high water mark in terms of supporter euphoria, though many of us who  could not  be at the 3 finals  (and many who were ) always saw the treble for what it was and didn’t get carried away.

I agree. Lucky, lucky Liverpool! it was ace for the fans, and for the players. They really believed in themselves during that period. Dortmund was delirium for everyone.

In terms of performances, some  in  01-02, especially the likes of Kiev away  and Roma  home, and the run we put in from January, including  the  4-0 at Leeds  and the 6-0 at Ipswich,   less than 2 years  ago, that was the high water mark, all occurring when the Red team  spirit was at its very best at the start of,  during  and  the end of M. Houllier’s illness, playing  for Gérard Houllier.

I think that before Gerard took ill we were lapsing back into the intermittent form we had displayed before the wins at Old Trafford and Goodison in the Treble season. That Leeds game was a stinker. I firmly believe that Ged's absence secured a siege mentality that Phil Thompson was able to draw upon; and then coax out some great results from a fragile team. Any coach could have got results from that team in those conditions. When Ged came back for the Roma game it lifted the team emotionally and gave them fresh impetus.   

And we did top the table just  14 months ago, though  yes we only played really well a couple of times in that period, though against  a very useful Leeds  less than 15 months ago (the 1-0 game ) we were simply outstanding.

We outplayed Arsenal  at Anfield 4 months ago, we  beat Chelsea at the Bridge a fortnight ago, and FINALLY  we can  have our best  midfield partnership  and  a  proven strike partnership  in action  again  TONIGHT.

Isn't this the greatest frustration? We have a squad that sreams 'talent' yet it only delivers intermittently. Ultimately that has to be the responsibility of the manager.

I just hope in less than hour, when 7.15  comes,  I don't see 1 or 2 particular names on the stubborn streak .... oops I mean the team sheet

It did look okay before kick off. But they didn't perform. Again. Now who's fault can it be? It has to be the manager's responsibility. When WHSmith had a a shite Christmas last year, they didn't sack the sales assistants (well they did actually...), they sacked the retail director. The top people bite the bullet.

Don't get me wrong; I have the utmost respect for Gerard Houllier and I hugely appreciate how far he has brought this club. It is my conclusion now that he cannot take it any further as manager.

Toshack\'s Chin

Re: When Saturday Comes
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 09:38:45 am »
Hard being a football fan these days. It's been hard, in fact, since the Premiership began. It's a cliche to say money rules the game, but it's a cliche because it's true. I don't think we can particularly blame the manager, or the chairman on his own, but I do think we can blame the ethos of the business side of LFC. We failed completely to capitalise on our name when the Premiership was formed - there is no real business mind at LFC, no-one to see the opportunities available for promoting the brand and bringing more money in. And, as romantic and nice as it is to say that we're LFC and money doesn't matter, the truth is it does. The Munsters are a global brand, and it didn't start with any grand plan to take over the world - it started with a bloke who saw that staff needed to actually answer the phones if they were to make any money. The administration at LFC is dire - there is no real effort to merchandise the brand other than a crap shop at Anfield and an even worse one in town. The Anfield experience before the football begins is pretty dire too - the scouse pies, the shite tea, the one-way system in the men's bogs, the tosser who plays Atomic Kitten before kick-off. It was fine in the eighties, when football mattered more than money, but now we just look amateur.

The fact is we rested on our laurels and just assumed that becuase we were Liverpool we could play our own game. That's how we won titles - by making everyone else play our game. But the Premiership is about money, as Leeds have proved. We make not like it, I'd certainly rather be thinking about the standard of football than the standard of the bogs, but it's a fact. We need to play their game, we need to accept that money is an issue and branding and merchandising and TV rights are essential to success. I hate that I'm saying this, but I don't think we can escape it. LFC, as a brand, as a company, as a business, is sloppy and needs tidying up. I don't mean let's spend like fuck, I mean let's get respect in all areas of LFC - if we're to be respected for our football, why can't we be respected for our business? Manure were a piss-poor side in the eighties, but they saw the opportunity to develop as a business and who's laughing now? Our footballers may be in fifth position, but our business team is mid-first division.

The changes need to come from the top and the entire business ethic needs to be reviewed concurrently with any assessment of our football. If Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Biscan, Heskey et al are underperforming on the pitch, then there must be many more underperforming behind the scenes. So far our major decisions have been expensive mistakes - the development of an academy which has consistently underperformed and a youth team that can't progress past the first round of anything; a large wad of fandancing imports, none of whom is actually the next Zidane regardless of the press-releases; and a complete reluctance to engage with fans' criticism that is resulting in many feeling alienated from the club they love.

I want to be clear - I don't like talking about the business aspect of the club, and I think we should be thinking about football and football only, and I hate, hate, hate the idea of LFC plc. But I also think that we have no choice, and that unless we play the money game the premiership has dictated, and play it well with the same astuteness and quality we have seen in our players over the decades, then Liverpool will never win the title, and I don't think it matters who's at the helm. A manager, reagardless of how good he is, still needs to be told when an investment is failing and needs to be off-loaded.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: When Saturday Comes " Tracking back" - our season so far
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 11:12:02 am »
Though I am more forgiving and optimistic than Michael is, I think his article does raise some important issues...

For neutrals and the manure influenced press, what better sport than to make fun of a once mighty empire. Ged doesn't help matters with his daft comments, and even though English isn't his first language the tone of what he says is unmistakable - he worries.

He worries to the point of making our team nervous and inconsistent.

He also refuses to take the blame for anything but what manager doesn't and I'd rather him than the myopia of Wenger, or the blatant arrogant rudeness of Ferguson.

At the start of the season he wanted to realise his 'vision' of better attacking football. And we all agreed that Sami and Stephane were too slow together, which meant Didi would be pinned back.

So Igor was brought in (remember the flush of excited youthful posting as Igor did his mazy run) whenHenchy was injured and with Didi out, we had the 3 musketeers (Vlad, Diouf - still to be a legend in my eyes, and Harry) and with Stevie G all seemed well. In this set up, many of us thought Jamie C wouldn't make the cut as Riise and Finnan promised forward moving football.

And we all are, praising the return of Stephane, and the return of Carra, and the return of Didi, and the return of 'shoring' up the back and counter attacking - Gerrard himself said it was good to get back to those ways.

So here we are at last season all over again. No steps forward. ( but I am a massive fan of Carra and would have him in)

We ended up here because of the Arsenal and Charlton IMO. Playing lovely football we still lost. I think unluckily and if only the nerve had held, we would have stuck to that moving way, well.. who knows?

But GH decided after those to not attack as much, not to press forward quite as much, track back a little more - and here's the rub.

We haven't DEFINITELY played one way consistently. Last night from Steve Hunter's commentary it appears we played 4-5-1 (against Wolves !! - another argument),
We've played with any and all on the right, and left ( Vlad, Tallec, Kewell, Diouf, Heskey, Murphy, Cheyrou, usually in the same match) never mind the defence.

And I firmly believe GH's reluctance to COMMIT ourselves to at least one consistent style of play means our players are nervous, unsure of their area, when and how to go forward, when and how to stay back.

We have conceded late goals to Man City and Wolves due to these nerves.

An unsure and lacking in confidence team = our style of play. Especially with players like Heskey, Kewell, Diouf and even Dudek - confidence players for sure - recently all of them have been dull, unsure, too quick to get rid of the ball (Igor stand up)

So we have flair players brought into out us on the edge of our seats who have not 'flaired', inconsistent line up and playing tactics and a reluctance by GH to stick to his original guns and attack.

I still support GH but it is rapidly turning to frustration. Not because the players don't respond - they should be good enough to still play well. Not because the line ups change to injury etc but because we play 4-5-1against Wolves, because Houllier won't have the nerve to say go for it, enjoy your football and attack.

It's more complicated than that for sure, but something is sucking the energy out.
Adamski's right - it's not a proper crisis a la Leeds but it is a wee Liverpool crisis. A big club, smaller ambitions.

But we'll get 4th and we're getting our team back together, lets just hope GH gets his nerve back and plays the way we did against Blackburn, against Birmingham at home, against everhopeful and so on.

Consistency of tactics where appropriate, definite action and a bolder heart will give confidence to an unsure team and should make us a lot lot stronger.

PS and fuck the rest of the media.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:15:14 am by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 02:02:22 pm »
Don't get me wrong ; I have the utmost respect for Gerard Houllier and I hugely appreciate how far he has brought this club. It is my conclusion now that he cannot take it any further as manager.
Completely agree with you there, Michael,  and  I have felt this for aproximately a year. That is the perfect phrase, taken us as far as he could, and a wonderful ride it has been too, with perhaps a few more vertiginous ascents and  exhilarating rushes to come yet before the end..... but yes I expect change in the summer, even if we are 4th and get good cup runs,  and expect Moores, Thommo, Sammy, Stevie Heighway, Hugh Macauley to all stay.
What I disagreed with above all was your "laughing stock " reaction to that article, and  your idea that he should go now & take Thommo with him.
But we both expect the same end result I think.
YNWA.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: When Saturday Comes
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 05:28:46 pm »
As an OOT some of my friends are not LFC supporters, I can tell you all that we are a laughing stock. Christ I even had to tolerate sympathy from a manchester united fan on monday night... this is not right, action needs to be taken.

Nothing will happen before the end of the season and by then key players (i.e Michael Owen) will only have 1 year left on their contract, any new manager (should we get one) will have to try to convince Owen to stay...I'm not optimistic of his chances.
@ManifoldReasons