Author Topic: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?  (Read 153539 times)

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
Re: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2009, 03:52:19 pm »
I think H&G primarily were over here seeking finance and a possible sale/partial sale of the club. Again I could ask what happened to the Kuwaitis? Was it all some giant sham?

Taking into account that the Kuwaitis broke off negotiations when they became public last month, maybe it's a good sign everything's gone so quiet.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: February 10, 2009, 04:08:08 pm »
Not sure, Redeye, if it's a good sign, because

a] they've done due diligence recently, so wouldn't be held up for long if they were progressing

b] whether they would be partners with Hicks, which seems a bit like perpetuating the recipe for disaster we have atm with new faces

c] don't know anything about them

On the otherhand, it isn't hard for new owners to be better than the existing shite.

Re: Rafa - the team as a whole really seems to believe in him, the less experienced ones perhaps because the most respected  players, like Gerrard, Torres and Carra, also Xabi, have said what a difference he has made to LFC. Maybe that was another reason Keane had to go. Was upsetting the positivity. Anyway, that's an aside, just wish we'd make some progress in getting rid of the pair/resigning Rafa and then Agger.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #402 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
There is no rush to discuss a new comtract.All the signs point to discussions having taken place regarding a minority interest sale, not an outright sale.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2009, 04:29:37 pm »
I would imagine that if you asked the Chelsea fans today, most would think back to the day Mourinho was sacked and think "...what if?"  Look at what's happening at there at the moment; it's looking like Chelsea are going to get a manager in on a short term contract who is going to juggle two jobs.  Never mind strikers or right wingers, that just shows how few World class managers there are out there who are available.

Love him or hate him, and I am very much the former, you have to look at the squad today and ask whether they would be anywhere near where they are right now if Rafa never came to Liverpool.  I really don't think they would.  Yes, he's made mistakes, but he's human and the mistakes are so incredibly insignificant compaired to the good that he's brought to the club.That's an interesting take, but was the other business the removal of Parry perhaps or something even bigger?

I agree with every word.
The cement trying to hold the Club together, as well as getting us ready to challenge regularly for the big prizes, and building the dynasty for the longterm. An amazing man in my opinion.

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »
I agree with every word.
The cement trying to hold the Club together, as well as getting us ready to challenge regularly for the big prizes, and building the dynasty for the longterm. An amazing man in my opinion.

Aye, seconded.

I put him right up there just behind Shanks, and Sir Bob, at the mo.

He's been THAT important to us.
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2009, 05:04:24 pm »
The quietness of recent weeks is a good sign i think ,
i just cant for a minute imagine that Hicks will let go of the club completely , imo he is seeking investment for the stadium and that is it , he knows he can make alot of money with that stadium and that is his driving force behind every decision he makes including Rafa's contract . . .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2009, 10:00:44 am »
I agree with every word.
Aye, seconded.

I put him right up there just behind Shanks, and Sir Bob, at the mo.

He's been THAT important to us.
Cheers for agreeing, I was just saying it as I see it so it's nice to know that I'm not stupid (or if I am, I'm not alone!).

I get grief from non Liverpool fans for backing up Benitez (the classic being "Still backing Rafa now?!" followed quickly by "Scrap that, he's obviously a genius" on Saturday evening) who claim I just blindly defend him.

I don't, but I'm clever enough to know what's important and right now at Liverpool it's Rafa.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:02:29 am by LukeD »

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:25 am »
parry still hanging around..

"PARRY has ruled himself out of the FA chief executive’s job. He said: “I’m not in the frame. Liverpool’s the job for me.”
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:08 am »
parry still hanging around..

"PARRY has ruled himself out of the FA chief executive’s job. He said: “I’m not in the frame. Liverpool’s the job for me.”

I wonder why he ruled himself in, in the first place?

rafabenihill, where did you hear this?
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Ronnie1932

• Feels like John Holmes.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #409 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25:09 am »
From an ITK on TLW who openly admits to hating Rafa:

Gillett has backed down regarding rafa's demands, and all is going well regarding the contract it seem's. There are one or two things Rafa still wants clarifying but the main problems he had seem to have been agreed.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:21 pm »

Gillett has backed down regarding rafa's demands, and all is going well regarding the contract it seem's. There are one or two things Rafa still wants clarifying but the main problems he had seem to have been agreed.
Fingers crossed.  The down side is that Gillett quite often talks bollocks so I won't believe he's not going to chuck a spanner in the works until it's all signed, sealed and delivered, but lets just hope this is true.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:25 pm »
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/02/11/liverpool-chief-exec-rick-parry-reveals-homegrown-quota-being-considered-by-premier-league-clubs-64375-22903506/2/

PARRY has ruled himself out of the FA chief executive’s job. He said: “I’m not in the frame. Liverpool’s the job for me.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/02/11/liverpool-chief-exec-rick-parry-reveals-homegrown-quota-being-considered-by-premier-league-clubs-64375-22903506/2/

PARRY has ruled himself out of the FA chief executive’s job. He said: “I’m not in the frame. Liverpool’s the job for me.

Sounds like a war cry to me. Parry in mexican standoff.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »
is rafa's contract on the table next to the DIC offer gathering dust?

who was it that said about that table.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:56 pm »
is rafa's contract on the table next to the DIC offer gathering dust?

who was it that said about that table.

its filed under " things to do " I believe  ;)
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #415 on: February 11, 2009, 11:34:04 pm »
its filed under " things to do " I believe  ;)

Not under things I wish id done sooner then :)

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »

The Poster, ATK wants, wait for it..........drum roll                 Jamie Carragher as Rafa's replacement!!!
But he is right, Rafa has all but got what he wants for his Contract it's a case of doting the I's and crossing the T's,it should all be Ironed out by the End of the Month.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:08:00 pm by Gedo »

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »
The Poster, ATK wants, wait for it..........drum poll                 Jamie Carragher as Rafa's replacement!!!
But he is right, Rafa has all but got what he wants for his Contract it's a case of doting the I's and crossing the T's,it should all be Ironed out by the End of the Month.

Gedo, that's good fucking news mate.

Thanks for the heads up, appreciated.
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:00 pm »
Good news indeed.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
Thanks Gedo  :wave

Sense prevails at LFC shock..

royhendo

« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2009, 08:11:48 pm »
The Poster, ATK wants, wait for it..........drum roll                 Jamie Carragher as Rafa's replacement!!!

:wellin   Cheers Gedo!

Offline belfast-connection

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:19 pm »
is it appropriate to add something like

"now let's knock those fucking mancs off their ALLEGED perch"
HE SAID ‘BIGGER’ PEOPLE ‘BIGGER’. OK, MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, THERE’S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #422 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:14 pm »
The Poster, ATK wants, wait for it..........drum roll                 Jamie Carragher as Rafa's replacement!!!

gedo any news on who the scouts are watching as regards summer transfers ?

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: February 13, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
gedo any news on who the scouts are watching as regards summer transfers ?
Haven't a clue,lets get this season out the way first.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #424 on: February 13, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »
The Poster, ATK wants, wait for it..........drum roll                 Jamie Carragher as Rafa's replacement!!!

Nice one Gedo . . .
Thanx for the info

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #425 on: February 13, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »
Good news,that,thanks Gedo.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline MLR

• Kopite
« Reply #426 on: February 14, 2009, 03:23:08 am »
we love you Gedo, we do!

thanks mate, appreciate the info.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #427 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:16 pm »
that Ballague prick was saying similar, also went on about how Raul would have loved to play in the prem and only one team he would want to play for... Liverpool. Then when the person asking the questions said, are you trying to link him to Liverpool, he went no, thats your story not mine.

What a c*nt he is

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #428 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:31 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1145648/Liverpools-American-owners-set-Benitez-deadline-offer.html?ITO=1490

Liverpool's American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are set to make Rafa Benitez a third contract offer this week - and they want it signed before next Sunday's game against Manchester City.
Having won major concessions about control over transfers, Benitez has sent back a second offer to the Americans, this time querying his role with the club's academy.
Now the owners are trying to rush through further amendments, believing any additional delay will hurt Liverpool as they battle for the Premier League title.
A senior source said last night: 'The major points have been agreed and we hope things will be finalised soon.' Benitez, who has been offered a four-and-a-half-year deal which will earn him £15million, has twice looked in detail at the offer.
Although his primary concern that he would have to report to chief executive Rick Parry on transfer targets has been satisfied, he wants it to be clear that he has overall responsibility for the club's youth policy, too.

He is now waiting for a response, although the owners know they will try to do that quickly.
Benitez originally set a deadline of November 30 to get a new contract offer but later turned down the deal. He has always said he wants full control of which players are bought and sold at Liverpool, although he understands he will be given a budget.
It follows a contentious summer at Anfield, when £20m striker Robbie Keane was signed but Benitez's No1 target Gareth Barry was not, because of Aston Villa's £18m asking price.

Hicks and Gillett met Benitez two weeks ago and agreed he would report to the board, rather than Parry, on transfers.

They also held informal talks with Aston Villa owner and fellow American Randy Lerner, finding out that Benitez is only after the powers that Martin O'Neill has at Villa Park.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: February 15, 2009, 08:00:53 am »
Great news on Rafa's contract.

Hopefully it'll help with Agger's contract too.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2009, 09:24:35 am »
Great news on Rafa's contract.

Hopefully it'll help with Agger's contract too.

I think/hope everything will fall into place once Rafa signs his, Dumb and Dumber can only do one thing at a time, it's important to sort the boss out and the players should be a lot easier

Have to say with Agger, I am not so sure he will sign a new contract and think he fancies Italy, just my opinion though

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2009, 01:34:27 pm »
No deadline set for Benitez talks

Press reports today, suggesting that an ultimatum, or deadline, has been set over Rafa Benitez`contract negotiations has had a few of our readers worried that the situation at Anfield is about to come to a head...

One reader writes: “Guillem, there is a story doing the rounds today that the American’s have set a deadline for Rafa’s new contract. It is being reported that he has to sign it before next Sunday`s game against Manchester City. Is this true? What happens if he doesn’t sign it by then? It all sounds very ominous.”

You`re right, that does make things sound quite definitive, but thankfully the situation is not quite as clear cut and the negotiations are not at the point where any ultimatums are being set: no deadline has been issued for the contract to be signed within the next seven days.

It is true that Rafa Benitez has sent the contract back to the Americans and it is in their hands for the time being. The Liverpool manager is determined that the new deal will give him overall responsibility for the club’s youth policy and control over all football related issues at Anfield, reporting directly to the board. These two points have been discussed during previous negotiations and, on the whole, all parties have reached an agreement. However, the contract is with Gillett and Hicks at the moment, in order to make several amendments that will reflect, in writing, much of what has already been agreed verbally and in principle.

So, while it is true that there are still issues that require resolution, there is no major rift or deadline set. The American owners, as we reported here last week, have even spoken with Randy Lerner and come to the conclusion that the level of control that Benitez is asking for is no greater than that currently enjoyed by Martin O’Neil at Aston Villa – or most other Premier League managers for that matter.

Gillett and Hicks are now applying pressure for the deal to be signed as quickly as possible, but this is not because there are concerns that, as has been suggested elsewhere, the speculation over Rafa`s contract is affecting the players. Everyone at the club knows, and I have discussed this matter with the players personally, that these press reports are having no impact whatsoever on the player’s ability to go about their daily business of training and playing football. In other words, nobody believes that Rafa`s contract negotiations are affecting Liverpool`s Premier League title aspirations.

Rafa Benitez had wanted the matter resolved much sooner than this and was made to wait as the club’s owners stalled on offering a new deal. However, now that the Americans have realised that a football club with it’s long term stability guaranteed is far more attractive proposition to potential investors and buyers, they would now like the matter resolved as soon as possible – aware that every passing week that this saga drags on, could be costing them money.

The suggestion that a deal will be struck before the end of the week appears to be coming from within the Hicks camp, but quite how long it all takes is really down to the owners themselves: if they return the documents swiftly after having got all of the prior verbal agreements satisfactorily down on paper, then there is no reason why there should be any delay in getting it signed. Of course, if they take their time over it, then it could drag on for weeks. My personal opinion is that, given that they now want things resolved as quickly as possible; the matter will be resolved sooner, rather than later.

Guillem at it again.
http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=No%20deadline%20set%20for%20Benitez%20talks&id=171
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:58:49 pm by Drewas »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2009, 02:58:54 pm »
Rafa Benitez had wanted the matter resolved much sooner than this and was made to wait as the club’s owners stalled on offering a new deal. However, now that the Americans have realised that a football club with it’s long term stability guaranteed is far more attractive proposition to potential investors and buyers, they would now like the matter resolved as soon as possible – aware that every passing week that this saga drags on, could be costing them money

The fact that Hicks is mouthing off and that their motivation is purely financial is not surprising but the bit about investors and buyers is particularly interesting. Also, the note of cynicism that Balague is striking is interesting; as Balague is supposed to be so matey with Rafa, perhaps it reflects Rafa's pragmatic approach to Hicks and Gillett.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: February 15, 2009, 11:01:12 pm »
From The Times
February 16, 2009
Rafael Benítez still holding out over future of academy
Manager awaiting confirmation he will have control over the youth academy before signing a new contract with Liverpool
Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez is close to ending the uncertainty over his future at Liverpool by signing a new long-term contract, but, having seemingly won his power struggle with the club’s hierarchy, he is awaiting confirmation that he will have control over the youth academy before he finally puts pen to paper.

Benítez has succeeded in persuading Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the club’s owners, to redefine his responsibilities outlined in his new contract, giving him overall control of the club’s transfer budget, as well as securing a pay rise to about £4 million a year. But he is determined to land one final concession, having requested that he is allowed to oversee the running of the club’s youth academy, which at present is managed by John Owens, with Piet Hamberg and Malcolm Elias as technical manager and head of recruitment respectively.

Hicks and Gillett are urging Benítez to sign the contract in recognition of their willingness to accommodate his demands, but the Spaniard, having been frustrated by the club’s delay in opening talks until the past few months, is happy to wait until his terms have been met.

The impending resolution of Benítez’s future comes after a series of key appointments at Liverpool — with Ian Ayre now established as commercial manager and Philip Nash taking over as finance director — and, with Gillett looking to offload his stake, Hicks has been eager to shape the club his way, despite persistent doubts about his ability to deliver the new stadium that is crucial to Liverpool’s future plans.

It is not only his own future that Benítez is eager to have resolved, with Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt and Álvaro Arbeloa foremost among several players who have little more than a year left on their contracts.

All three figure in Benítez’s provisional plans for next season and so too, perhaps more surprisingly, does Andriy Voronin, the Ukraine forward, who has impressed while on loan at Hertha Berlin this season and scored two goals to send Hertha to the top of the Bundesliga with a 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich on Saturday.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5741362.ece
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #434 on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:23 pm »
Hopefully it will be sorted this week but I don't like that last bit about Voronin though. Wouldn't like to think we are going down that road again.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:56 am »
Hopefully it will be sorted this week but I don't like that last bit about Voronin though. Wouldn't like to think we are going down that road again.

Me either mate , but id take Voro back now til end of season , he COULD be important for us . . .

Offline reds88

• Kopite
« Reply #436 on: February 16, 2009, 01:43:30 am »
Yes, could be, makes no difference if either Voronin or Keane sitting on the bench.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #437 on: February 16, 2009, 08:57:57 am »
It is not only his own future that Benítez is eager to have resolved, with Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt and Álvaro Arbeloa foremost among several players who have little more than a year left on their contracts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5741362.ece

;)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #438 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:02 am »
Rafa Inteview: I never asked for absolute power!
Spanish newspaper ‘AS’

How’s the kidney?

- Hush, hush! First they found a stone and then they said I had a perforation/hole in the kidney. I had to go through three general anesthetic procedures for the first time in my life. I missed our game at Arsenal’s pitch, first I’ve missed in 22 years. I had a very high fever on the eve of that game.

The first in 22 years…

- The manager plays every match eh? I’m going all the way back to my days coaching Madrid’s youth teams. I started out very young. At 26 I was already managing.

You had to quit playing because of a knee injury.

- It happened at the ‘Universada’ in Mexico, 1979. I was part of the Spanish quad that took part in that tournament. We beat Cuba 4-0 and then Canada showed up, I was hit from behind and goodbye it was. It was on the same day that Pietro Mennea, the great Italian sprinter, beat the 200 meter World Record with a mark of 19.72.

It stood for 17 years, until Michael Johnson beat it in 1996. And how good a player were you?

- I could’ve played in Primera. Horacio de Leiva, our manager in Mexico and later the President of the School of Referees, proposed me to sign for Oviedo. I was playing for Real Madrid’s lower-division teams when Butragueño arrived. Chendo and Michel were also around. They were the good ones but every time they played for us we would lose. I played as a holding midfielder but I felt more comfortable playing as a ‘libero’. I had a better perspective of the game from that position.

You were already thinking like a manager.

- At 13 years old I was already doing the team-sheets, I would rate the other lads. I liked to organize things even if it was just for my own enjoyment. At the INEF I was a player-manager. I would sit on the stands and manage the team and when I thought I needed to take part on the match I would go on the pitch. I was balancing that with managing Real Madrid’s youth team. You know what? My classes would end at 5 pm, which was the same time our training session started. I would rush through the halls and get there at about half-past with the stretching and warm-ups all done. Those of us who were not stars had to fight very hard to make a name for ourselves.

Yet, perhaps those were truly the happy days.

- At that time you’re less aware of certain things. You’re so involved in everything that you don’t think…I remember that after the first month training Real Madrid’s youth team I was 4 kilos under my normal weight. I would eat in a hurry, a plate with lentils and off you go!, to train the team. And besides all that I was enrolled in the School of Medicine at Alcala de Henares.

You had to quit of course.

- Yes, I couldn’t keep up. When I received the Honorary Degree at the University of Miguel Hernandez in Elche I was ecstatic because I always wanted to get my Doctorate at the INEF and I was never able to do so because of work. Sometimes I reflect back on those things and it all seems surreal. At Madrid I went months at a time working seven days a week, already as a manager. One day at Castilla ,the next day working alongside Garcia Remon with the first team, then coach the reserves in the lower divisions under the orders of Del Bosque, who was responsible for the whole setup… And I also taught at a school! And of course the games, I would watch as many as possible on the weekends, between 10 and 12.

And all of this with a girlfriend?

- Impossible! That came afterward, when I was a bit more calm, ha, ha!

Who are you most grateful to?

- Ramon Martinez (current General Manager at Celta) he promoted me every season. I will always be grateful to him and also I’ll always remember when Del Bosque told me: “There are no football managers, Rafa. There are people who manage football and you will manage for many years.”

He was right. If you got the chance at Liverpool it is because you proved your worth in Spain.

- There were some moments, not every situation was the same. I arrived at Valencia after Cuper had done a terrific job there. The team was very strong and we just were able to raise the bar. At Tenerife and Extremadura it was different, both in Second Division and both times we won promotion. At Tenerife, competing with teams like Atletico, Sevilla and Betis.

What’s the problem now with the Liverpool owners?

- England is different to Spain. Here, if you have a one year contract you have nothing… and I only have 18 months left. If people realise this, that the manager only has that time left, he’s dead. I have between ten and twelve collaborators whose contracts run out in June. What project can a manager develop if he doesn’t have his work-team secured for two or three years? Ah! And let’s clear up one thing: I never asked for absolute power; capacity to make decisions and to maneuver, yes. It’s not the same thing.

United and Chelsea have a lot more money than Liverpool. Even City now.

- United get a revenue of 65 mil euros more than us every year and they have the capability of buying three 20 million players every season. Chelsea will have spent £500 million over the past five years. We have built an entire team but economically we’re inferior and yet we are able to compete with them. There are plenty of stats to bore you with: United, only on Berbatov, spent £32m; every year they spend as they need to: £20m on Hargreaves, another £20m on Nani, £18m for Anderson. Seven years ago they spent £45m for Ferdinand! I, on the five years I’ve been here, spent less than £40m on Torres and Keane. There’s no discussion!

And what about Arsenal, Rafa?

- It’s a different philosophy. They sign a lot of young players but if they must spend 7 mil on one, like Ramsey for example, they do it. Or 18 for Arshavin…

And Alex Ferguson?

- He controls everything here, it’s a fact, it is what it is. And since he felt the need to talk about Liverpool I had to respond.

In your peculiar English.

- I made the mistake of not taking up classes when I arrived. I lack the vocabulary and the grammar. My daughters speak with the purest Liverpool lingo and quite often I don’t understand what they’re saying. I end up asking them to speak to me in Spanish. Claudia, the oldest, was 6 when we arrived in Liverpool. At first she was lost but after six months she came home with a teacher’s note that read: “Congratulations, your daughter has recovered her voice”. She never stopped talking. Agata, the youngest, is six now. Her English is better than her Spanish.

And the food?

- No problems there. I’m a meat-lover and Scottish meat is very good. And at home we never lack the Spanish dishes like paella, omelets or lentils.

And the public relations?

- My wife does a better job than me. She belongs to a NGO that fights against cancer, she often visits a hospital and when I come along I do my bit. Most weeks we play 3 matches; I live in my own world, but it’s your family’s life that changes the most. I arrive at the club at 9 am and leave between 6 and 7 pm…I haven’t done much holiday traveling. I know Liverpool, Chester, the lakes area, to the north.

The big match against Madrid is only 10 days away. What are your expectations?

- I have the experience of our games against Barça, who were the favourites then and we knocked them out. We were unlucky on the draw but so were Real. The outlook is different on each case: Madrid’s whole season rests on the Champions, we’re still fighting for the League. We’ll have to see in what condition some of the players arrive. Torres is still looking for his best form yet, for example.

When Everton knocked you out of the FA Cup you received it almost like a liberation. Is that so?

- We have to find the positive side and that is that we’ll play less games and we can concentrate on the Premier and the Champions League. The Premier is very competitive, more so than La Liga. You have to be on top of your game or any team can make things difficult for you with their direct approach, they fight until the end. We’ve never lost control of the games but we’re lacking on finishing off teams. Our problem is that we have great expectations surrounding us. The Premier, the Premier, we haven’t won it in 19 years! And when the Champions League time comes, then lets win it…In these years we’ve won four titles, played in seven finals, another CL semifinal. We are where we need to be, the problem now is the anxiety, we have to manage it and it’s not always easy.

Gerrard is like Liverpool’s Raul? How’s he doing?

- Recovering. Injuries happen and you need to treat them properly. And yes, you can compare him to Raul in many ways. He’s a charismatic footballer, with an enormous heart; his personality touches others. He always assumes responsibility and his effort never dwindles. Raul meets all these virtues and perhaps even more because of his longer experience. I’ve known him since he was 14 years old and he was at Atletico’s youth team. He’s always shined because of his character. I’m not surprised he’s still first-choice, he’s been a winner since he was a young lad.

Hows your relationship with Florentino?

- Good.

Madrid would be the icing on the cake, the climax on your career?

- If I say yes, some people will interpret it as me saying I want to go; if I say no it will seem like a snub to Madrid…The proper thing and the reality is to answer that I’m not thinking about leaving and I hope I can stay here for a long time. Would Madrid be the icing on the cake in the career of any manager? No doubt about it! Although that sounds like the final stages of someone’s profession and that isn’t my case.

Offline shankspirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #439 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:14 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1146180/HATCHET-MAN-Control-freak-Benitez-leave-Liverpool-rudderless-hopeless-staffless-decamps-Nou-Camp.html?ITO=1490

Christ with the daily mail. Don´t those fools know that Barcelona´s stadium is the Nou Camp? and not Real Madrid´s.

Tells you though how serious thier reports are.