Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 245926 times)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
Re: Cancer
« Reply #1240 on: February 1, 2012, 02:52:08 am »

SOrry to hear that mate, deepest sympaties for you. May he rest in peace now and you take with you a great treasure and that is that he loved you loads.

Big hug

YNWA
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1241 on: February 1, 2012, 07:49:06 am »
Came in here and read the great news about Toxeth, fantastic to see you get the all clear.

Then to see ESTs post, devastating. So sorry to hear that mate, my heart goes out to you. Thoughts are with you and your family.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #1242 on: February 1, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »
Well folks, today i got the 'All Clear' after being diagnosed in December 2008 with A.L.L (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) aged 21. Battling through highs and lows whilst undergoing chemo for over the last three years, i will turn 25 on Thursday so it will be a double celebration!
It certainly put my life in perspective and after starting treatment a young & naive boy, i feel i have matured massively and come out a better person ready to start my life again!
It is heart-warming to see all the help and support in this thread and that there are positive outcomes. My thoughts go out to everyone who is currently dealing with it or know of others who are.

Andrew

I am running the London Marathon in April to raise money for the charity that has helped and supported me during my time in hospital as it was something i really wanted to do shortly after i was diagnosed. The link below if anyone is interested.

http://www.balmoral-group.com/foa/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=148

Congratulations TT, so happy for you.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #1243 on: February 1, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
My old man passed away this morning while I was at work, once I arrived I sat with him for a while holding his hand, he didn't really look any different than he did yesterday which I guess goes to show how poorly he really was and how it's much better for him to have left rather than suffer the illness and all the shite that goes with it. Feels very strange knowing I’ll never see him again but knowing the last words he said to me were 'I love you loads' comforts me. I'm meeting with a few of his mates over a pint in the next few days to gather a story or two for the eulogy. Any advice on how to handle public speaking or eulogies in general would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, all my deepest sympathies to all who have been affected past and present. My heart goes out to you all.

Really sorry to hear that EST1982, my condolences. As for public speaking I think you're off to a good start by gathering a few stories, just pretend you're speaking to one person whom you know well and end on a hopeful note.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Toxteth_Terror

• Kopite
« Reply #1244 on: February 1, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
Thanks everyone, every bit of support means a lot!

Shattering news EST1982, my deepest thoughts go out to you and your family.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #1245 on: February 1, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »
EST1982 your description af your dad brought me straight back to when my dad died. Standing there beside the bed, holding his hand that was slowly turning cold, hugging him and knowing it was the last time ever I'd see him... Pheew. Mixed emotions to say the least. Good because he had finally found peace, bad for the obvious reasons.

As for the public speaking it's difficult because we're all different when it comes to speaking in public to groups of people. Some hate it, some fear it and some love "being up there". In this situation I would do something along the lines of Finn's suggestion; speak to your dad, find a spot to focus on if you want to avoid too much eye contact with people that could crack you up and just tell your dad your feelings. I felt so good giving my dad's eulogy in the church it was the right thing for me to do and afterwards many of my dad's friends came up to me and thanked me and a few shared a little story about my dad from when he was a boy that I'd never heard before.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: February 1, 2012, 10:49:22 pm »
Good news, good on you mate
Well folks,
And sad news, sorry to hear that mate.
My old man passed away this morning

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1247 on: February 2, 2012, 03:27:56 am »
Sorry to hear that EST1982, deepest condolences dude.

Hate to mention it in the same post but it's nice to see some good news good on ya TT
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: February 2, 2012, 05:06:18 am »
Lost my mother to brain cancer when I was 7, and her father to prostate cancer a few years later. My father's mother died of Alzheimer's and his father died of a heart attack at a young age.

I'm pretty much fucked.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1249 on: February 2, 2012, 05:12:58 am »
You never know you could die of a premature heart attack playing "ride the bull" with a fat chick. :D

Never give up!
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1250 on: February 2, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »
Heys guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the PM's and information and advice. Just an update they went to the doc today and he told them he is going to adopt the wait and see treatment (as it's very very early stages) He said the cancer is very very slow growing and may not increase in size over months or even years. They will continue to monitor it every 3-6 months and take it from there. If it does start growing they will use radiation seeds to kill off the cancer.

Thanks again all for the kind words and information. I really appreciate it :wave

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: February 3, 2012, 07:21:02 am »
Sounds good Chakan, catching it early gives you a great chance of beating it off. Best of luck to your dad mate.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: February 3, 2012, 08:41:17 am »
Sounds good Chakan, catching it early gives you a great chance of beating it off. Best of luck to your dad mate.

This... :wave

Offline RedAtHeart

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1253 on: February 3, 2012, 08:43:04 am »
Chakan: Just read your post, my dad got diagnosed with prostate cancer about 2 years ago now. They caught it pretty early, and did surgery, and he has been fine ever since. Sounds like your dad prognosis is pretty positive all things considered, best of luck to you and your family.

TT: Stories like yours are pure inspiration, and a joy to read, thanks for sharing :)

Est: Sorry to hear of your loss, having the closest ones taken away by this horrible disease is just awful, I hope you can find some peace and look back at all the good times you had with your father.

And thanks to all the truly kind souls on here that offer their support, advice, compassion, pain, grief or whatever they may have on their heart, it helps me deal with the thoughts that arise regarding my family members with cancer, more so than I had ever thought. 
Boom

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #1254 on: February 4, 2012, 12:13:25 pm »

One day a cure
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1255 on: February 4, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
Heys guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the PM's and information and advice. Just an update they went to the doc today and he told them he is going to adopt the wait and see treatment (as it's very very early stages) He said the cancer is very very slow growing and may not increase in size over months or even years. They will continue to monitor it every 3-6 months and take it from there. If it does start growing they will use radiation seeds to kill off the cancer.

Thanks again all for the kind words and information. I really appreciate it :wave

Great news mate.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: February 4, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »
My grandad finally lost his battle this morning. He was diagnosed with 6 months and he battled on for another 4.

He went peacefully and wasn't in any pain, he had my Nan, mum and me there beside him. As he let go he let out a single tear, the only tear he has shed through this whole battle. He was so brave and strong.

Ill miss him so much. RIP grandad.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #1257 on: February 4, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »
My thoughts go out to all of you in here who's lost loved ones recently.

RIP :(

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: February 4, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »
Ill miss him so much. RIP grandad.

RIP...

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: February 4, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »
Today is February 4th, World Cancer Day, whatever are your beliefs in this world, today share a thought and send a good positive vibe, donate or get involved, with those who are fighting the disease, those who have won it and those who have lost the battle fighting. For their health, all the best!
Martina Lopez de Machado, my dear grandma who lost his battle long ago, and I would have loved to meet more
Ninoska Vera, a good friend who is battling now, all the best for her and keep strong.

For those posters who have realives fighting, like Chakan, Evie, With love, all the best in your fights
For those who have lost loved  ones like Bennekov, 5thBenitle, our dear Dan who left us (the Sky I scrape), Ketchun's lovely wife, and now Beav with his grandad, and many more who had posted their grievances in this thread, my thoughs of love are with you too, they are at peace now.
and For those who had beated the fucker like Toxteth_Terror, my deepest sympaties, it can be done and there is hope for those who are fighting.

Big hugs for Everyone.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: February 4, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »
Thanks for that Brandy, trust him to go on World Cancer Day, and the only day it snows 5 inches of white! He always was a bugger!

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: February 4, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »
Thanks for that Brandy, trust him to go on World Cancer Day, and the only day it snows 5 inches of white! He always was a bugger!
when they left, they always leave us with a cheerful memory don't they? :D

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: February 4, 2012, 08:37:02 pm »
when they left, they always leave us with a cheerful memory don't they? :D

That he did! Was a beautiful day for him to go.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: February 4, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »
Today is February 4th, World Cancer Day, whatever are your beliefs in this world, today share a thought and send a good positive vibe, donate or get involved, with those who are fighting the disease, those who have won it and those who have lost the battle fighting. For their health, all the best!
Martina Lopez de Machado, my dear grandma who lost his battle long ago, and I would have loved to meet more
Ninoska Vera, a good friend who is battling now, all the best for her and keep strong.

For those posters who have realives fighting, like Chakan, Evie, With love, all the best in your fights
For those who have lost loved  ones like Bennekov, 5thBenitle, our dear Dan who left us (the Sky I scrape), Ketchun's lovely wife, and now Beav with his grandad, and many more who had posted their grievances in this thread, my thoughs of love are with you too, they are at peace now.
and For those who had beated the fucker like Toxteth_Terror, my deepest sympaties, it can be done and there is hope for those who are fighting.

Big hugs for Everyone.

Lady B you're a star!  :-*

I didn't know it was World Cancer Day on Feb 4th but the weird thing is that that is the date my Dad passed 7 years ago. Eerie me thinks. What's even more eerie is that I read your tweet about World Cancer Day @ 21:47 CET which was the exact time my dad passed......  :o

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: February 4, 2012, 11:42:24 pm »
Six years - dear God.  May your days before September rapidly decrease.  And all your days after September massively increase. 

Thanks for the kind words :wave Although I know I'm one of the lucky ones, I'm not sure how much more I or my body can take - September can't come soon enough. Hope Mr May and your good self are looking forward to many, many happy years ahead of you :)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: February 4, 2012, 11:47:32 pm »
Condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones - I can never find the right words but my thoughts are with you.

Look forward to the day when such threads won't be necessary.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #1266 on: February 5, 2012, 12:01:00 am »
Thoughts are as good as words.

Just sometimes we need to say the word or touch or cuddle or smile.

Get 'our' feelings known

YNWA
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1267 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
As you may know, I am a secondary school teacher. Today, a girl in my form group has been diagnosed with a level 3 malignant brain tumour after a couple of weeks of investigation and an initial operation last week. She is now to be flown to the USA for a further operation on Monday and a further programme of treatment. Please remember her in your prayers.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1268 on: February 10, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »
As you may know, I am a secondary school teacher. Today, a girl in my form group has been diagnosed with a level 3 malignant brain tumour after a couple of weeks of investigation and an initial operation last week. She is now to be flown to the USA for a further operation on Monday and a further programme of treatment. Please remember her in your prayers.

Will do, do you know where she is being flown to? John's Hopkins, UNC, or Duke?
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: February 10, 2012, 05:05:00 pm »
Will do, do you know where she is being flown to? John's Hopkins, UNC, or Duke?

Not sure. The information has been coming through in dribs and drabs, and we've just broken up for a mid term holiday, so I probably won't know much more for a week or so. She is 14 - I don't know if her age would make one of those destinations more likely?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1270 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:06 pm »
Not sure. The information has been coming through in dribs and drabs, and we've just broken up for a mid term holiday, so I probably won't know much more for a week or so. She is 14 - I don't know if her age would make one of those destinations more likely?

Duke and JH both have world ranking specialists in many forms of brain cancers and they have excellent track records with children, If I had to pick I would think it would be Duke.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

She's in my thoughts - hope everything goes as well as possible tomorrow and during treatment. Keep us informed please.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1272 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »
I've got a very similar situation at the moment, not as serious, but it potentially could be....

Fingers crossed, but we hope all will be well.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1273 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

Reading stories like these and many others in this thread break my heart, which is strange because I see people in these situations every day of my working life and I deal with it. There's a guy I used to work with that we used to skit remorselessly because he was trying to chat a girl up once and when she asked what he did for a living he said "You know that cancer? I'm the cure." But it actually can feel like that in work sometimes, that at least you can do something about it, give someone the best treatment and the best chance of surviving. Feel helpless reading all these stories and not being able to DO anything.

My heart goes out to you all.

P.S. Keep us updated Mark.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #1274 on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »
Reading stories like these and many others in this thread break my heart, which is strange because I see people in these situations every day of my working life and I deal with it. There's a guy I used to work with that we used to skit remorselessly because he was trying to chat a girl up once and when she asked what he did for a living he said "You know that cancer? I'm the cure." But it actually can feel like that in work sometimes, that at least you can do something about it, give someone the best treatment and the best chance of surviving. Feel helpless reading all these stories and not being able to DO anything.

The thing is you do help.  As you know, you helped me to ask questions for my Mums treatment, you reassured me on the centre treating her and so much more.  My family thanks you.  It didn't end the way we prayed for, but don't think you don't help.

Never give up

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: February 14, 2012, 12:18:22 am »
I will keep you up to date when I hear something. Bad time for half term to come, as
I have no way of hearing anything right now and I can't switch off from thinking about her and her parents. Nothing to do but keep praying and waiting.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1276 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:17 am »
The thing is you do help.  As you know, you helped me to ask questions for my Mums treatment, you reassured me on the centre treating her and so much more.  My family thanks you.  It didn't end the way we prayed for, but don't think you don't help.

Bless you Terri.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:44 pm »

Can only echo what Tetti say. I've got nothing but good words to say about those who work with cancer patients. I don't know if I could do it, and as a patient they have all made the horrendous journey that little bit easier with their kindness, humour and empathy. So thank you :)

I'm a bit relieved as I had a lump and pain in my wrist which turned out to not be the worst case scenario. It's probably nerve damage caused by chemo, which would also explain why I get regular dizzy spells. It's odd - even though it's a rubbish diagnosis to get, it's still nice to be able to tell people what the problem is.

Still thinking about your pupil, Imperator, and keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1278 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »
Best of luck for your Dad. I have to say I’m a little nervous at the moment, My Dad had to go in for a procedure to run some tests on his prostate a few months ago after his test scores raised a few questions. It seemed like everything was ok. He’s since been told that his numbers have doubled (not sure what that means in medical terms, it’s all new to me) and has to have another operation next month. Obviously hoping it’s just routine and that they’re taking sensible precautions but it doesn’t half get your mind wandering.

I know people dread this thread being bumped...

...but wanted to share some good news. My Dad had a biopsy a couple of weeks ago and today has just had the all clear. Very pleased for him and my Mum, it's a weight off their minds. Just wanted to share that news, hope you don't mind!

Good luck to everyone on here who is going through this, or has friends and family still fighting their battles.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #1279 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »
I know people dread this thread being bumped...

...but wanted to share some good news. My Dad had a biopsy a couple of weeks ago and today has just had the all clear. Very pleased for him and my Mum, it's a weight off their minds. Just wanted to share that news, hope you don't mind!

Good luck to everyone on here who is going through this, or has friends and family still fighting their battles.

Great news mate :)