Author Topic: Top Gun: Maverick  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Top Gun: Maverick
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2022, 08:48:50 pm »
It was brilliant.
Basically the same film, and was all the better for it.

One of my memories of the original was playing footie in the playground and chopping each other down whilst singing "Take your legs away".
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2022, 08:49:34 pm »
I've been intending to miss this because a) I hate Cruise (he's an evil Scientology cult gobshite); b) I hate the fetishization of military crap; c) I hate gung-ho American jingoism.

There.

:D

One of quite a lot of things that does my head in over here, is the utter obsession people have with the miltary. The daft ‘thanks for your service’ to any fucker they see in uniform, how do they know they aren’t someone who works in IT at some base?  Ditto for giving them discounts for EVERYTHING and sports teams always doing military appreciation days etc, it’s ridiculous.

Anyway, despite that, despite Tom Cruise being a scientology gobshite, despite the fact that I don’t generally do action movies, I LOVED this film  ;D

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2022, 11:17:01 am »
Went again last week on the Screen X, 270° Screen for the flights scenes. Went in thinking it would be a big gimmick but it actually worked very well and it was very submersive.

Loved it even more 2nd time around.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2022, 04:12:13 pm »
Went again last week on the Screen X, 270° Screen for the flights scenes. Went in thinking it would be a big gimmick but it actually worked very well and it was very submersive.

Loved it even more 2nd time around.

Did you watch it underwater?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2022, 03:54:24 pm »
Yep. I was deep into it.  ;)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 1, 2022, 06:45:49 pm »
I loved when they destroyed the Death Star!!!

Especially when Rooster used the force...or maybe he recalled how he used to bullseye womp-rats in his T16 back home...Those weren't much bigger than two meters.

Only finally got round to seeing the film today and as soon as I heard them say the target I thought that's Star Wars.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2022, 09:12:00 pm »
Just watching it now 😁

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 4, 2022, 08:12:26 pm »
Good, entertaining popcorn fest. Calls for it to get Oscars are total nonsense, but it’s a good watch nonetheless.

Here’s my leftfield take.

Spoiler
Maverick dies in the first TestFlight and the rest of the movie is his descent into the afterlife. (Only joking)
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2022, 11:50:08 am »
Based on my instincts about this film when I saw it was happening, I think this film is an absolute triumph. Of its type - popcorn, whizzbang, blockbuster bafoonery - I think it's incredibly good.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #49 on: September 7, 2022, 04:58:16 pm »
Me and my wife went to watch it a few weeks ago and left the cinema just grinning and talking about what had happened, which is incredibly rare. They don't make films that do that any more. An old-school bit of action storytelling that hit all the right notes.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2022, 10:30:40 pm »
Have to watch it again and I’m certain I’ll love it even more the second time around!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 12:28:48 am »
Went back to the cinema to see it, caught it on cineworlds screen x thing so when all the action bits happen the screen sort of stretches onto the two sides of the cinema as well. An interesting experience, probably worth trying when it's a film you already know you like.

But yeah I'd seen it opening weekend back in May. And a second viewing was just as enjoyable as the first one. Everything in the story just works so well and pays off in the final act.

The trailer before for Mission Impossible as well, just can't wait to see that now.

I'd imagine for Cruise and everyone else involved they must've came under some pressure the past 2 years to sell  it only a streaming service to try and make some money what with its original release date being summer 2020, but they've stuck to their guns that the cinema was the place to see it and they've been rewarded for that greatly.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 11:43:05 am »
Watched this the other night.  Absolutely brilliant.  Went to my daughters to watch it as they have a brilliant surroound sound system and a very large telly  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »
How much has this taken in?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2022, 01:44:31 pm »
According to Box Office Mojo, $1.46 billion. It's number 11 on the all time list.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2022, 07:41:57 pm »
To be fair to Tom Cruise he must have made the studios, and himself, a few bob over the years
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2022, 12:27:20 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w3rQ3328Tok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w3rQ3328Tok</a>

Nicely done... nicely done indeed.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2022, 11:41:20 am »
According to Box Office Mojo, $1.46 billion. It's number 11 on the all time list.

And still time to generate more.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2022, 08:09:16 pm »
The dvd is on my Christmas list ☺️😍

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2022, 08:19:10 pm »
The dvd is on my Christmas list ☺️😍
What is DVD?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »
What is DVD?

I’ll change it to blu-ray 😁😊

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2022, 08:44:46 pm »

I’ll change it to blu-ray 😁😊
Welcome to 2010 boomer!

;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2022, 09:00:21 pm »
Welcome to 2010 boomer!

;D

😁😁

Aww I’m terrible with technology! 😬😊

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2022, 08:52:32 pm »
He's a Madman. ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8ujdJf7nnCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8ujdJf7nnCM</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2022, 03:31:34 pm »
Available to watch now for those who have Sky Movies and/or Paramount+

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2022, 10:24:56 pm »
Just watched it and despite not thinking the original was all that, I thought this was far superior in every possible way. Great film.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2023, 08:20:30 pm »
Tom Cruise was on Jimmy Kimmel this week if anyone is interested :)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2023, 08:35:35 pm »
Wonder if it's got much of a chance at the Oscars. They do the transferable vote system so there's a potential if it's got a decent initial vote it could pick up enough 2nd picks from initially eliminated nominees.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2023, 08:37:58 pm »
Will be another great summer blockbuster for Cruise as the next Mission Impossible movie is out.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2023, 09:52:08 pm »
Will be another great summer blockbuster for Cruise as the next Mission Impossible movie is out.

Can't wait for that, been an amazing set of films from the 3rd one onwards.
The video he did thanking people for seeing Top Gun then throwing himself out of a helicopter to get a shot for the movie.
And the 10 minute YouTube film they've released about one of the big stunts has certainly wetted the appetite.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2023, 10:28:10 pm »
Saw it on the pictures on the big screen and thought it was meh.

Remember watching the original in the piccies in 1986 and I'd always found planes a bit boring, but it completely blew me away.

Was astonishing for its time. Nothing like it at all.

This new one was the same film in older baggier clothes with a ciggie, a beer belly and a pint of mild.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2023, 05:58:46 am »
Saw it on the pictures on the big screen and thought it was meh.

Remember watching the original in the piccies in 1986 and I'd always found planes a bit boring, but it completely blew me away.

Was astonishing for its time. Nothing like it at all.

This new one was the same film in older baggier clothes with a ciggie, a beer belly and a pint of mild.
You sure that was a cinema screen and not a fucking big mirror with dolby surround sound? 🤔🤣

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #72 on: April 7, 2024, 10:48:45 pm »
I’m hearing there is a Top Gun 3 in the works?
That is music to my ears 😎😁🤩

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 8, 2024, 06:44:01 pm »

Second one was such a success it's not a surprise. It was a really good movie.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #74 on: April 9, 2024, 02:52:00 am »
It was enjoyable in bits, bit I never can get past wee Tom. He smiles too much, like an evil dolphin.
We are Liverpool!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #75 on: April 9, 2024, 01:16:11 pm »

I hope, just like the last one was, it'll another quality entry into the Star Wars universe...

'Top Gun: Maverick Pitch Meeting' - a 6 minute video, from erm... Pitch Meeting:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vsojiWVVj00" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vsojiWVVj00</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/vsojiWVVj00

;D

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2024, 12:11:47 pm »
😁😁

Still love it though🙈