Author Topic: King Kenny and Expectations.  (Read 10265 times)

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
Re: King Kenny and Expectations.
« Reply #80 on: January 8, 2011, 06:14:41 pm »
My expectations, with regard to what goes on on the pitch are as follows:

1. An average of 2 points per match for the rest of the season

2. Tactics and personnel selection adjusted according to the opposition

3. Increased use of Jovanovic, Babel, Pacheco, Agger, Kelly and Wilson

4. Emphasis on ball-retention, methodical build-up, not by-passing of the central midfield players.

5. Infrequent use of Torres along with N'Gog, and of any formation with two ST.
Ludi Circenses!

Online IvanSER

• Anny Roader
  • Long way from Liverpool
« Reply #81 on: January 8, 2011, 06:16:39 pm »
Unity, passion, pass and move...

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 8, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »
I just want to feel happy about football again.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 8, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »
It's not going to be easy to get the ball rolling.  Roy inflamed a lot of the problems at the club, but he wasn't the sole issue.  He'll need a bit of time to iron it out.  We won't be anywhere near as bad as we were under Roy, but we won't win every game for the rest of the season either. 

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 8, 2011, 06:25:37 pm »
I would expect to see possitive football (no defending on the 18 yard line) and an improvement in players disposition.

I'd also like him to play the best 11 who deserve to be played in the best formation for the players available.

As for results: stopping the silly home loses would be good.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »
For a start make the players look interested. Slow gradual improvement, not expecting CL but I hope we get into the Europa positions. Frankly him just being there and bringing some dignity back to the club till summer is more than good enough for me. If we don't get into Europe and say finish in our current position so be it as long as the players gave their all. We all need to think long-term the rebuilding process starts now because Comolli and Kenny one would think were always going to be part of that process. All that is left is for the CEO to be unveiled.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 8, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »
Europa league spot should be good enough.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 8, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »
The  most tiresome shite I read and hear other club's supporters saying is that at Liverpool we have no divine right to success and that we should just accept that we are now a mid table club. Hence we should have shut up and let Hodgson manage us to lower expectations.
I do not know a single LFC supporter who expects to win the league evry year.
But we should expect a team that competes, that doesn't try and snatch a draw at Wigan, and play committed, sometimes entertaining football.
That's all that I ask of Dalglish; get us competing again !Good luck Kenny.   

Offline krizzobizzle

• Mr Fun at a party near you soon!
  • Kopite
« Reply #88 on: January 8, 2011, 06:31:42 pm »
For Kenny to remind the players, as did Shanks,...of the privelage they have for wearing the shirt and playing for the club and to put in the minumum 100% effort. League position and all the rest will take care of itself after that.

All who doesn't like that can fuck off as far as Im concerned. Nobody is above the King at the club, nobody.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: January 8, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »
to enjoy watching football again, this is the first game ive looked forward too all season!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2011, 06:39:53 pm »

Lets hope you all don't start crying  if results don't go his way!!
FUCK OFF
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #91 on: January 8, 2011, 06:41:15 pm »
My own expectation is that sales of retro shirts with Dalglish 7 on the back are about to skyrocket  :scarf

On the playing side, even if we don't get a CL qualifying spot, I'll be happy for the rest of this season if Kenny's return just sees us playing attacking pass & move football and well clear of the bottom 3.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 06:53:35 pm by SportBilly »
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #92 on: January 8, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »
 Pride.

Offline l2k83

• Main Stander
« Reply #93 on: January 8, 2011, 06:42:40 pm »
To enjoy watchin football again. Actually looking foward to the game tomorrow now, first time ive been able to say that all season!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 8, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »
I dont expect anything of Kenny. Im just glad I can start watching the game and enjoying it again, and knowing that when it comes to press conference time, I know nothing stupid will be said.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 8, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »
Europa league spot should be good enough.
He'd have done a very good job to do that.

I'm hoping for some more positive football, with more emphasis on possession and pressing and a higher defensive line. Not because it it is more entertaining to watch but because it suits our squad more. Sitting deep and hitting it long doesn't suit the players we have, particularly in midfield where we have some good ball players. We need to get some players around Torres and not leave him isolated up front as he has been in quite a lot of matches this season. Get Gerrard playing behind him and the wingers further forward and we could have some good performances.

I would like to see Agger utilised well. He is our best centre back and is unique in the fact that he is a central defender who is very comfortable with the ball and is able to start moves off and help out in an attacking sense as well as a defensive sense. He was involved in quite a few goals under Benitez by simply making a positive run forward and giving opposition teams something extra to think about. When you've got a threat like that you need to use it and use it well.

The players also need to realise that they don't come above the club or the results. Nobody is an automatic starter and that needs to be made known to a few players.

A top 7/8 finish would be a very good end of season ambition for Kenny to achieve. Anything else would be a massive bonus. And if top eight is not achieved, well at least Kenny can say that he gave it a good go and we are able to make a long term appointment with a view to being real challengers. I'm confident that Kenny will be able to achieve a top 8 finish though.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #96 on: January 8, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
I expect the football to be a lot better to watch than the dross we've been served up lately.

I'd also expect that any player who pulls on the red shirt would give their last drop of energy and effort into winning matches for LFC.

I expect I can start watching pre and post match interviews again, something I ain't done for months.
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline chrishughes

• no brainer...
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #97 on: January 8, 2011, 07:13:26 pm »
My expectations are to see 11 players played in position with tactics and a formation that makes sense against each opponent.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 8, 2011, 07:15:15 pm »
I'm still processing all this to be honest. It still seems a bit surreal. I was 18 when Kenny resigned, so remember it well (it makes me old to realise that there are RAWK members who won't even have been born then!). Although we all knew it was possibly on the cards, I just never brought myself to believe that Kenny Dalglish would be manager again one day. After all, hope is a dangerous emotion, as we know all too well.

It'll probably sink in tomorrow, watching Kenny take his place in the dug-out, and then seeing him stood up (hopefully with his big red and grey coat on again!) watching the action. I don't really know what my expectations are - I don't expect a title challenge at this stage of the season, or even a top 4 placing. But I expect us to play attacking, exciting football again, I expect Torres to flourish, I expect player power to be a thing of the past, and most of all, I expect to have a Liverpool manager who truly knows what it means to represent the club. A man who respects our opponents but won't roll over for them. No longer will we have to hear about 'formidable opponents' like Northampton Town, or 'famous evenings in Trabzonspur'. A man who doesn't really care what the media think about us, as long as we're doing the right things in-house. A man who respects and loves the fans, safe in the knowledge that they love him back.

Damn it's good to have him back.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 8, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »
Expectations are

1)   Smile every time I hear Kenny’s name pouring down from the Kop.
2)   See some pride instilled in guys who don’t realize they are playing for the best club they will ever play for.
3)   A glow surrounding Anfield that just reflects the true spirit of this club.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #100 on: January 8, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »
My expectations are to see 11 players played in position with tactics and a formation that makes sense against each opponent.

This.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #101 on: January 8, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
Top 4 finish, Win the FA Cup and Win the Europa Cup, i do not ask for much ;D
So will Rawkites be stayin at my places or yours when we win the Europa cup in Dublin? ;D

Everyone should be proud today, leave expectations at the door and allow Kenny to rejuvenate us..

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 8, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »
First of all, let me first say how delighted I am at the return of the King. I remember the day he left like it was yesterday. Bawling my eyes out reading ceefax, with the headline that Kenny quit. Calling my dad at the office to tell him the news. I was 10 years old then and Kenny Dalgish was the only Liverpool manager I had ever known. Not only that, but he was also a father figure to me. I remember feeling safe every time I saw him on TV. I dont know why but I just did.

Today has been 20 years in the making. It could have happened 19 years and a half ago before we hired Souness. It could have happened 17 years ago when Evans took charge. It almost definately should have happened 6 months ago after Rafa's departure. Either way, it's happened. Liverpool manager, Kenny Dalglish. How good does that sound?

But now the hard work begins. And the hardest thing for me is going to be downplaying expectations.

We're not suddenly going to transform ourselves into the great 88 side, with Babel as Barnes, Kuyt as Beardsley and Skrtel as Hansen. We're not going to win the league and cup double. We're not suddenly going to be in the Champions League. There are severe limitations to our squad, some due to Rafa's mistakes, some due to Hodgson's, and some due to the off the field issues we've had. We're not suddenly going to find we have speedy wingers who can beat their man, or a good backup for Torres, or pace at the back.

The most we can hope for this season, on the pitch, is an improvement of the performances we've seen this season. We've got 2 trophies to win and, if we win tomorrow, we can go far in both of them. But the priority has to be improving the football on the park we've been watching all season. Redressing soome of the mistakes made by Hodgson and yes by Rafa in his last term as well. Improving the away record. Playing the Liverpool Way again. Any success we can get is a bonus.

The most important thing for me is that we have unity again. That we can go into games actually looking forward to them, not wondering what result will hasten Hodgson's exit or prolong his stay. Actually get pissed off at bad results andd annalyzing players performances rather than being semi happy, thinking that surely Roy is gone after that. Unity now until the end of the season, all behind one man and one set of owners, supporting the team the Liverpool Way.

Nor more excuses. We got rid of the Yanks and of Hodgson. Fresh start off the field for us. Let's enjoy the rest of the season, no matter where we end up and let's support the King. But please don't expect any miracles.

YNWA.

Good post.

If Kennys appointment can manage to unite supporters, team and club again then he will have done a magnificent job.

Today it feels like the club has been restored, with us all pulling together for the good of the club and it is a long time since we have been able to feel that.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #103 on: January 8, 2011, 07:43:19 pm »
I expect nothing, but for the first time in a long time I have hope

Sums it up perfectly
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #104 on: January 8, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »
Always thought this season was a write off in the respect of advancing or winning trophies so my expectations remain the same. Steady the club and look to the future.

Kenny will do that with everyone on the same page.

I am glad and relieved that we as fans will all agree this is a positive move and hopefully we can move on from the last 3 years of hell.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #105 on: January 8, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »
First of all, let me first say how delighted I am at the return of the King. I remember the day he left like it was yesterday. Bawling my eyes out reading ceefax, with the headline that Kenny quit. Calling my dad at the office to tell him the news. I was 10 years old then and Kenny Dalgish was the only Liverpool manager I had ever known. Not only that, but he was also a father figure to me. I remember feeling safe every time I saw him on TV. I dont know why but I just did.

Today has been 20 years in the making. It could have happened 19 years and a half ago before we hired Souness. It could have happened 17 years ago when Evans took charge. It almost definately should have happened 6 months ago after Rafa's departure. Either way, it's happened. Liverpool manager, Kenny Dalglish. How good does that sound?

But now the hard work begins. And the hardest thing for me is going to be downplaying expectations.

We're not suddenly going to transform ourselves into the great 88 side, with Babel as Barnes, Kuyt as Beardsley and Skrtel as Hansen. We're not going to win the league and cup double. We're not suddenly going to be in the Champions League. There are severe limitations to our squad, some due to Rafa's mistakes, some due to Hodgson's, and some due to the off the field issues we've had. We're not suddenly going to find we have speedy wingers who can beat their man, or a good backup for Torres, or pace at the back.

The most we can hope for this season, on the pitch, is an improvement of the performances we've seen this season. We've got 2 trophies to win and, if we win tomorrow, we can go far in both of them. But the priority has to be improving the football on the park we've been watching all season. Redressing soome of the mistakes made by Hodgson and yes by Rafa in his last term as well. Improving the away record. Playing the Liverpool Way again. Any success we can get is a bonus.

The most important thing for me is that we have unity again. That we can go into games actually looking forward to them, not wondering what result will hasten Hodgson's exit or prolong his stay. Actually get pissed off at bad results andd annalyzing players performances rather than being semi happy, thinking that surely Roy is gone after that. Unity now until the end of the season, all behind one man and one set of owners, supporting the team the Liverpool Way.

Nor more excuses. We got rid of the Yanks and of Hodgson. Fresh start off the field for us. Let's enjoy the rest of the season, no matter where we end up and let's support the King. But please don't expect any miracles.

YNWA.

Man you just hit it hard and true, couldn't agree more.

Noone should give him stick even if shyte continues.

Our feelings should only be of gratitude. We have to love him even more after this.

Let us not forget how very difficult the situation is and Kenny is simple risking it all reputation and all that for the club for us and fullstop.

Can't wait for next Anfield one I am just thrilled however it goes. Hope that the guys understand what it means especially SG and JC. Those 2 show know best and maybe help the others get galvanised by it.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 8, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
Unity, passion, pass and move...

pass and move is no gimme judged by what he did at blackburn and newcastle.

imo we dont quite have the right ingredients yet to do that.

Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #107 on: January 8, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »
we should greet him as we greeted roy, with smiles and hidden daggers. *

*try and take the previous comment with a grain of salt.
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 8, 2011, 10:22:04 pm »
1- That the team play with passion
2- That he gets the senior players under control (Gerrard et al) - there can be only one boss
3- That we finish top half - Europa league place would be nice, but we have a lot of problems and I'm not going to start setting OTT expectations
4- That he plays players in their right positions

Not too much to ask  ;)

Offline MarioLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #109 on: January 8, 2011, 10:32:38 pm »
Just one thing that's getting to me and sorry if its already been posted but; if the king. Does a fantastic job by the end of the season where the problem on keeping him as our manager? A mean what better person to have in the driving seat, infact if he does shit the next couple off months still keep him on as manager for atleast 1 full season let him bring in players and build his own team then we can judge him, let's face it we can't stay mad at the king for long, I'd take him as the manager for the the. Next 5 season over winning the fa cup and europa this season its like we have won the league the king in charge

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 8, 2011, 10:36:40 pm »
I'm not sure he'll win the title this year but I'd expect top 4 from the king by Easter.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 8, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »
Just one thing that's getting to me and sorry if its already been posted but; if the king. Does a fantastic job by the end of the season where the problem on keeping him as our manager? A mean what better person to have in the driving seat, infact if he does shit the next couple off months still keep him on as manager for atleast 1 full season let him bring in players and build his own team then we can judge him, let's face it we can't stay mad at the king for long, I'd take him as the manager for the the. Next 5 season over winning the fa cup and europa this season its like we have won the league the king in charge

In some ways it would be better if he can stay on longer (assuming the team does well enough).  By staying on longer he can really build a new structure for the future (bootroom, coaches, youth).  He can be a major part of bringing the next manager in.

It's all about success.  If he turns the club around then the fans will demand he is given another year.  But it's early days and none of us really know how this will turn out.

Am sure Kenny has it in his mind that he will want to turn things around and then win a longer contract.  I guess lets wait and see.

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #112 on: January 8, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »
All I expect is to feel proud of my club again. A man at the helm who loves us and who we love, who gets us and we get and someone the players have to respond to.

The end.

Agreed no more needed
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline MarioLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #113 on: January 8, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »
In some ways it would be better if he can stay on longer (assuming the team does well enough).  By staying on longer he can really build a new structure for the future (bootroom, coaches, youth).  He can be a major part of bringing the next manager in.

It's all about success.  If he turns the club around then the fans will demand he is given another year.  But it's early days and none of us really know how this will turn out.

Am sure Kenny has it in his mind that he will want to turn things around and then win a longer contract.  I guess lets wait and see.

Yeah true I didn't really look at in from that point of view, I guess I'm just getting  excited and letting all this hype get to me lol, but like you said let's just wait and see... :-)

Offline Caligula_10

• Anny Roader
  • Support safe standing
« Reply #114 on: January 8, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
Dalglish Dalglish Dalglish!
I'm sorry for being a bit sentimental, had a few pints and I'm overwhelmed with feelings at the moment. I've been in a jolly mood all day but it's starting to sink in now and I'm just such a happy camper at the moment. After all this shit, to finally have good owners and a dignified manager who knows what it's all about... Never mind the media and all the bollocks, troubles of the recent past. We are Liverpool and we are here now, back once again with our hearts filled with hope and determination instead of misery and hatred.

Jump!
How high?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7xvegPH_Lw

Offline lindenpres1

• Boys Pen
« Reply #115 on: January 8, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »
pride and passion back please and play for the jersey come on you red men ;)

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #116 on: January 8, 2011, 10:52:06 pm »
If the players feel the way we feel, the sky is the limit.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #117 on: January 8, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
I expect we will do better than we did under Roy.All of us will benefit from the psychological and emotional boost that he offers .

The euphoria of today is understandable - but will not last, the grim reality of the task will become clear once the champagne bottles have been cleared.

There is a huge raft of unanswered questions. How will the Comolli/Kenny interface play out? The team has been shorn of two world class players since our second finish. Will FSG finance their replacement? Will FSG make any significant funds available this window, when a new manager will have his own ideas? How can we approach players for the summer window when the manager will be unknown? Are we now condemned to being able to make no significant transfer moves till the winter window 2012?

With a CL finish unlikely, how will Kenny handle Torres? The defence is a shambles, is it just a case of reorganisation and confidence?

As a fan who saw Kenny perform as player and manager it is great to have him around. I do worry that FSG have not known what to do and do not understand the problem they have created for themselves by not making his appointment permanent, and time bombed the whole uncertainty bandwaggon to roll into town at the end of  the season.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Smicer7

• Plastic Manc.
  • Kopite
« Reply #118 on: January 8, 2011, 11:00:14 pm »
I expect an increase in performances and results so as to justify the sacking of Roy Hodgson and appointment of Kenny as his replacement, else the move would have been a failure. This is exactly what I expected of Hodgson when he replaced Benitez.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 11:03:13 pm by Smicer7 »

Offline kellywestie

• Boys Pen
« Reply #119 on: January 8, 2011, 11:08:39 pm »
I just don't want to have the feeling of impending doom ten minutes into games!  ::)   

Delighted the King is back - YNWA