Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC vs Tottenham Hotspur (Mothering Sunday 10th Mar, 4pm)  (Read 100276 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I suspect we'll see Allen for Henderson, justified on the grounds of passing ability, which is key as Neville points out - although I'm not sure how the stats between the two compare on that one.

i don't think so, i think suarez and sturridge will be through the centre and henderson on the left

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It,s about time we turned Spurs over. We have a wretched record against in recent matches.

I reckon we are as well equipped as we have been for a long time to win on Sunday.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
I hope we win and I want to stay positive, but I just see this fixture and assume a loss. They're strengths are our weaknesses, but we did well against AVB's Chelsea last season and we played well at White Hart Lane.

Trying to remain optimistic, but don't know if I can! Spurs irritate me greatly, they're a bit like Andy Townsend's ITV views personified.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
That last goal in the 7-0 was almost perfection. It pains me to say it, but Red Ned is a decent pundit, who would make a very good defensive coach. He certainly reads the play well. Sky must be paying him good money or he just doesn't fancy coaching at the moment. Some of the points he makes are what Liverpool need to exploit against Spurs. Sturridge and Countinho could have a day out on Sunday if the midfield release the ball early.

Bottom line is if we play to our potential, we will win. I honestly believe that BR is building something really good at the moment. We have a good young attacking force that will only get better. The midfield is still a work in progress but I see it starting to click and more importantly, we have options. Sort the defence out and Liverpool will once again be feared all over Europe.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
I would give anything for a win. Think I read we haven't beaten them since Rafa's last season, which is fucking crazy. I'm sick of these smarmy bastards. Of course, they have a very balanced team right now, built around Bale, and they are just perfectly structured to tear us apart.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
I suspect we'll see Allen for Henderson, justified on the grounds of passing ability, which is key as Neville points out - although I'm not sure how the stats between the two compare on that one.

I don't think it'd be justified on the grounds of passing ability at all. I genuinely think Henderson's a better passer than Allen. Sure, Allen might look a bit neater in possession but if we're talking about vision and putting through a killer ball (which Neville was talking about I think) I'd say Henderson is the more capable one.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
Will be a great for us to see how far we've come, both teams in form and playing well.

We played spurs off the park at the lane and if we can do another of those performances i think we could maybe do them, but with liverpool, you never know.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline norbert

• Main Stander
People are assuming that Spurs will play a high line, they often don't, particularly away. They catch teams on the break, playing a percentage style game. Eight away wins indicates that it works. having said that we are due a loss.

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
This game is going to be an exciting one.  We definitely have the talent up front to punish such a high line. However, fast hard pressing and attacking teams seem to punish us.  Must be a high scoring game, I think 3 - 2, but not sure to who:-(  Hope Sturridge is playing with Suarez and coutinho, as they seem to know how to find each other and how to stretch and pull a defence apart.  In the end it will come down to who has the best feeders for the strikers.

I also wonder if we should play a high line like arsenal or stretch the play a bit by going deeper. Unfortunately both teams look like they need space.  I do think confidence and belief will swing this game one way or the other.

Offline Jeffe

• Anny Roader
I think this is a great game to show much we've improved since the start of the season. We can beat the smaller teams with ease (most of the time) but can we outplay a team above us?

Key points for me:
- Concentration of the back-five. Spurs have some really pacey players and we need to be careful to not give them any space. A lapse in concentration, and they can punish us straight away.
- Sturridge. If he's on the top of his game, we should be able to create a lot of space for Suarez, Coutinho, Henderson, or whoever are playing the attacking positions. If Sturridge isn't fit after all, we'll probably struggle to find space between the lines and a lot of the responsibility will fall on to Suarez & Coutinho's shoulders to make something happen.
- Mentality after scoring or conceding a goal.

Like any manager ahead of any game, Brendan needs to be ruthless but fair in his team selection. Sturridge for Downing and probably Henderson for Allen are the changes I would make.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Im worried if Allen starts over Henderson that we will be done over with their counter attack
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
People are assuming that Spurs will play a high line, they often don't, particularly away. They catch teams on the break, playing a percentage style game. Eight away wins indicates that it works.

Good point. & I imagine with the Inter games to worry about they'd be happy with a draw against us - wouldn't be a disaster for them. Play for a draw, nick a win if they can. And they're capable.

Offline MJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • Said It's High Green mate, Via Hillsborough please

Very good read, i feel this will be one of those games for us on Sunday, We will take the game to spurs and create countless amounts of chances (kind of like the Arsenal game last season 1-2) take the lead, miss a penalty and then 2 Gareth Hotspur goals will win the game for them!
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattyJohnson8

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
I highly doubt Villas Boas will set their defensive line as high as against Arsenal.
For me their game plan couldnt be more obvious. They`ll try to keep it tight and compact to try to nullify our interplay between the lines - then give the ball to Bale and see if he can nick it for them.
I dont see them coming to Anfield and trying to dominate the ball especially as they use 442 and have someone like Parker in the team who under pressure cant find his teammate to save his life.
I think they would take the draw now if offered.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I hope we sit deep, and I am totally serious here.

Our defending line has to be very flexible and moving back quickly in order to prevent spaces and making it as narrow as possible as Bale is probably the best attacking player in europe at the moment.

But I have my doubts, let´s just hope Sturridge to be fit and us scoring more than them which is quite possible I think.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 10:18:33 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A game that will show the progress made! Spurs may rest Dembele for Inter, and that is the key as for me Dembele is the one to watch for Spurs - yes Bale is fast and can hit a ball well, Dembele makes them tick and is a huge presence in the center of the park.

I'd hope Skrtel is fit, as this isn't one for Carragher - Adebayor and Bale simply are too much for him.

Sturridge starting will be a big boost, Lucas has to be really wary of picking up an early yellow as he needs to shackle Bale.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 10:22:31 am by Draex »

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'd hope Skrtel is fit, as this isn't one for Carragher - Adebayor and Bale simply are too much for him.

Will be interesting to see Rodgers decision here, although Adebayor is said to be injured no?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Hated him as a player but that was really was top class analysis by Neville with regards to Spurs and Arsenal's back line.
If Spurs didn't drop off vs Walcott they wont drop off v Sturridge we need need to be tight through midfield and pick players who can exploit the space in behind Spurs.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry about that again! Note to all BMW Scousers....get rid of the RF tyres!

You going on Sunday? I think we'll win if Sturridge is fit. I saw them against West Ham and Arsenal- although they won, their defence is far from strong. We can get in between Kyle Walker and the CBs, this is where Luis/Sturridge are strongest

Should be. Have way too much happening on Sat and incorporating Mothers Day. Having said that I spent Mothers Day last year with you :D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
I hope we sit deep, and I am totally serious here.

Our defending line has to be very flexible and moving back quickly in order to prevent spaces and making it as narrow as possible as Bale is probably the best attacking player in europe at the moment.

But I have my doubts, let´s just hope Sturridge to be fit and us scoring more than them which is quite possible I think.

I think Bale's strengths are his pace and power, and they are considerable, but he is a fair way off being the best attacking player in Europe. Still, if we play a high line particularly with Carragher in the defence, he will totally outrun our retreating line. So the defence has to remain deep.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan

Allen is better at circulating possession but I believe Henderson is better at picking out a killer pass.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

He isn't. The Echo says he has a knee injury that has prevented him training. Same article that says Sturridge is back in full training today.
There you go:
Defender Martin Skrtel, meanwhile, remains on the injured list for the Reds.

The Slovakian, 28, has not featured in the Premier League since the defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford on January 13, and is currently sidelined with a knee problem.

Having yet to return to full training, Skrtel is not expected to feature at all against Tottenham, with Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger continuing at the heart of defence, and Andre Wisdom and Sebastian Coates in reserve.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
Will be a big test for Lucas Leiva. I do think his recovery is going pretty well and he's slowly returning to his previous level, but if there is one thing he's really struggled with its pace. He's been left for dead a few times in a way that he never used to be.

I'm sure Villas Boas (whats wrong with A V B?) will try to exploit this as he has a lot of pace at his disposal (Bale especially but there are a few others) and I hope Lucas can pass the test.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
Our biggest problem in this game is that Spurs are perfectly set up to exploit our weaknesses with their pace on the counter.  Rodgers has a real job on his hands to pose them problems, I can see a coutinho, sturrige and suarez combo up front. Suarez and Coutinho are willing to work for the team and both will offer a big threat.  I also cant see Downing being left out.  So allen and hendo imo will both be on the bench
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan

This gets said before every game he plays (insert different players) and hardly ever happens. City, Aguero and Tevez were going to destroy him and us as were Arsenal, Walcott and Podolski apparently.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Brilliant write up that Harinder
If you dont mind I'll be cutting and pasting large parts of that to many Spurs fans that I know
My and I'd say here irrational hatred team too but have plenty of rationale for it

Apart from the 4-0  which I thankfully missed being abroad...have them ever and I mean ever deservedly beaten us?

The year we finished second when we mullered them and they scored jammy goals..this season at the lane
I'm going back the 80's too when they did a smash and grab with Garth fucking Crookes spawning a goal kop end

And the vast majority of their fans spout the glory glory shit you mention above whilst single handedly failing to grasp the fact they've won the league twice in that glorious history - the same as Burnley and less than Blackburn.

Plus up til this season they has the stupidest way of selling beer with a bunch of students behind a grill having to open up bottles and slowly decant every fucking one of them..

My thousandth post and a rant against Tottenham...that works
+6 ticket exchange

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
We famously can't beat teams in the top 10 so this is another game to see whether we actually are as good as the Swansea and Wigan results say.

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
Good read that. Have to say i hate playing spurs, we nearly always lose. Genuinely can't remember when we last beat them?
Ask that question on monday, then the answer will be: just last night!

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
Tough game. Maybe the last toughest we have left to play. However I see no reason not to be optimistic. What we want to do is keep control of the ball in the back four and defending midfielders and play it around making spurs move up the field as much as possible. Hopefully they'll get restless if we manage to score early. Crucial to play it safe in defense and not slip up. Specially in the space between centrebacks and wingbacks on both sides as Bale and Lennon can do us all types of damage. Lucky for us I feel Enrique is suited to play against Lennon with power and pace and Johnson is classy enough to read Bales game.

In attack I feel it's crucial to have Coutinho and Sturridge attack on Dawson with pace. Get a yellow on him early and keep on attacking. Suarez to roam free as usual.

I feel that

Reina

Johnson
Carra
Agger
Enrique

Lucas
Gerrard
Henderson

Coutinho
Suarez
Sturrige

Is a good option. Might switch Coutinho for Downing to get more tactical awareness in the side and to double up on Bale. Have Coutinho come in when legs are tired.

Feel it's open this, Spurs are a great team but I do not feel there's much in this. Think we'll win.
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
Will be interesting to see Rodgers decision here, although Adebayor is said to be injured no?

Skrtel is in full training but isn't expected to be in the squad.

Strange one this, BR said last week everyone was fine bar Kelly and Borini..
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
Hope we don't go 4-4-2 against Spurs and Dembele will hurt us through the middle. 3 in the middle and pick one of Downing (to double up on Bale with Johnson) or Coutinho to pick passes to beat Spurs high line.
Up to Brendan how attacking or defensive he wants to be, take the game to Spurs or keep it tight and hit Spurs on the counter.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
We famously can't beat teams in the top 10 so this is another game to see whether we actually are as good as the Swansea and Wigan results say.

Well, go on. Tell us what you think about the game. Whether we'll win or not.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Skrtel is in full training but isn't expected to be in the squad.

Have you read the Echo piece?

"Defender Martin Skrtel, meanwhile, remains on the injured list for the Reds.

The Slovakian, 28, ... is currently sidelined with a knee problem.

Having yet to return to full training, Skrtel is not expected to feature at all against Tottenham'"

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
Well, go on. Tell us what you think about the game. Whether we'll win or not.
I think we'll win..we'll be better rested, we're at home, we'll be tighter at the back just cos its Spurs and our forwards are a bigger threat right now. 2-1 to the Reds. You?

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
That particular Monkey was removed from our backs when we beat 7th placed Swansea.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
That particular Monkey was removed from our backs when we beat 7th placed Swansea.

No doubt it'll quickly be replaced with "Liverpool have yet to beat a team above them".

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
You remember that didn't count cos they fielded their 2nd string? 8)

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
I think the difference in this game is Sturridge.

They will try to mark Suarez out of the game, and put Parker on Gerrard. If Coutinho/Downing and Sturridge can find space, we can get at Walker and Ekotto. But Its a big job for us in my opinion.

Sturridge has the movement to get behind dawson and vertonghen, and we have enough players with vision to find him.

Another key factor will be, if Dembele is out, who will play in his place? Livermore? Sandro?

Tough one to call, but I think we can edge this.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
I don't think it'd be justified on the grounds of passing ability at all. I genuinely think Henderson's a better passer than Allen. Sure, Allen might look a bit neater in possession but if we're talking about vision and putting through a killer ball (which Neville was talking about I think) I'd say Henderson is the more capable one.

and actually, on eof the things i think henderson does better than most at the club is quick, one-touch passing....

after watching that vid of neville's analysis, i think we've a team that's made for this sort of game

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
Another key factor will be, if Dembele is out, who will play in his place? Livermore? Sandro?

Sandro is out for the season. Dembele trained today though anyway, so should be fit for the Inter game tomorrow. Adebayor didn't train - but he really wouldn't be much of a loss right now. He's been absolutely useless since he got a contract!