Author Topic: Liverpool vs Southampton, EFL Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg, 25 January, 8pm  (Read 40071 times)

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, EFL Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg, 25 January, 8pm
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
I'd go diamond.

To suit Sturridge and a lot of our other players.  We don't have a wide player, who can offer what Mane does.  So instead of playing someone out of position, like Lallana on the weekend or Sturridge, Firmino & Origi in the past matches.  Play to our strengths, we have three very good strikers, who are best central, with freedom to drift wide - play a system to suit them.

We could go 4-2-2-2, with Coutinho and Lallana, playing wide in a 4-4-2 when we don't have the ball.  But can roam when we have it. That's another option.

But I'd go with a diamond.  Put Coutinho behind Sturridge and Firmino.  Lallana, Wijnaldum and Henderson in the other three midfield positions.

Let Sturridge roam, let him focus on winning us the game with his quality, that we all know he has.  So many of his best performances for us came in this formation, with and since Suarez has left.

Plan B, if everything is getting narrow and not working, for me is Ojo.  Then switch to 4-3-3, Coutinho, Firmino & Ojo in a front three, Lallana in CM with Henderson and Wijnaldum.

I don't want to see Emre Can.  He was good against Man U, when we needed his strengths without the ball.  Winning headers, pressing, his tackling etc.  But in games like this, where we should dominate possession, we need our best players in possession  and for me that doesn't include him.

I don't want to see Lallana in the front three.  Actually I don't really want to see a front three unless Ojo is in it.  For the reasons I gave above, we'll be playing someone out of position otherwise.

Matip obviously should start if available.  His composure and ability on the ball to start attacks can make a difference.

The crowd also have a vital part to play.  They do every game though.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:40 am »
This game feels somewhat like Villarreal last season in that we're carrying a 1-0 away loss where we've played poorly into a make-or-break home tie.

I want Klopp to go for it like we did in that game but unfortunately I don't trust Sturridge to deliver as much as I did last April and I doubt Klopp does either. The switch from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 undoubtedly has a lot to do with it in my opinion but there's the mental and physical drop-off in Sturridge too.

For that reason I'd keep Firmino central and give Origi a shot out on the right. I'd be tempted to throw Ojo in but he's never really impressed from that side of the pitch and Coutinho is obviously more effective from the left.

Get Can and Klavan out of the side as both are massively struggling and we're not playing well enough to carry players.

Trent in for Clyne too. We need attacking thrust and whether it's fitness, form or a mixture of both, Clyne is a long way short of providing that at the moment.

Pretty much agree with this. Clyde doesn't look fully fit and Trent should be tested in games like this. Not sure about Origi as he has looked short of confidence in the last few games.

Offline EdmondFruitini

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in the Anfield Road End
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
Since when are EFL games played on a Thursday? How come Manure have an extra two days to prepare for their game?

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Play the most in form players at the moment, not necessarily the first XI.

Here's what i would go with:

Karius

TAA       Matip       Lovren       Milner

Lallana       Henderson     Gini

Origi/Woodburn        Firmino      Coutinho

TTA for me showed real mettle and guts at Old Trafford, while Clyne was below par against Swansea.. He took injections to play as well, so I would leave him out

Milner offers more than Moreno and i genuinely think he offers more in attack as well.. He's also our main penalty taker..

Lallana Hendo and Gini is out best midfield 3 at the moment.. no questions asked.. send Can on a 1 week winter break to Dubai or something to sort his head out..

Origi or Woodburn for the right sided forward.. Origi has pace to burn, but other than that i don't know what he would offer from the right.. Woodburn could be an unknown quantity and might spring a surprise..

Firmino in his favourite or should i say most effective position, while Coutinho to cause havoc, coming from the left.

Coutinho screamer into the top corner to gt us back into the tie.. Sturridge to win it in extra time.. We keep a clean sheet..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2017, 12:39:37 pm »
Since when are EFL games played on a Thursday? How come Manure have an extra two days to prepare for their game?

United have an extra day because Hull played on Sunday, but they also have to play again on Saturday. You're seeing an advantage for them, but not the advantage for us where we have an extra day before our FA Cup game on Saturday.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:44 pm »

Watch out, this will upset some on here.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:00 pm »
There a team bus greeting going on before this then or what? 1st opportunity to get to a final this season and 1-0 behind

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »
There a team bus greeting going on before this then or what? 1st opportunity to get to a final this season and 1-0 behind

I'm not sure, but it seems like the kind of game where one would help the team out.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 12:52:32 pm »
Not sure about Origi as he has looked short of confidence in the last few games.

He has indeed, but so have Can and Sturridge, and one of those three players pretty much has to play unfortunately.

It's a toss up between him and Sturridge but if we're going with 4-3-3 then I want Firmino up front where he's most effective and I'd back Origi over Sturridge to deliver more from wide areas and bring some of the attributes we're lacking with Mane out. Especially as Bertrand is probably one of their main attacking outlets so he'll need to be tracked.

Sturridge could very well still have a big part to play from the bench especially if extra time is required.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 12:55:59 pm »
United have an extra day because Hull played on Sunday, but they also have to play again on Saturday. You're seeing an advantage for them, but not the advantage for us where we have an extra day before our FA Cup game on Saturday.

Both Hull and Manchester United play Sunday. What annoys me is not that Manchester United get to play a day later but why less than 48 hours preparation seems to now be a good enough reason for Hull moving a fixture when it wasn't deemed to be a suitable excuse for us a few weeks back.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »

Yeah there is. It's done the rounds on twitter and theres gonna be a fair few people who turn up to do it. I know some people don't reckon its that big a game (I dissagree with that myself) but there is gonna be something. I reckon everyone who can, needs to get down there cos the worst thing would be if we tried it and it was shit.

It's happening, so get down there and support the lads.

https://twitter.com/WeRLFC/status/822550136308039680

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:32 pm »
Both Hull and Manchester United play Sunday. What annoys me is not that Manchester United get to play a day later but why less than 48 hours preparation seems to now be a good enough reason for Hull moving a fixture when it wasn't deemed to be a suitable excuse for us a few weeks back.

They get to play a day later but then they also have to play again on Saturday.

It's due to television, we get a lot of money from it but it also messes around with our schedule.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2017, 01:04:03 pm »
Yeah there is. It's done the rounds on twitter and theres gonna be a fair few people who turn up to do it. I know some people don't reckon its that big a game (I dissagree with that myself) but there is gonna be something. I reckon everyone who can, needs to get down there cos the worst thing would be if we tried it and it was shit.

It's happening, so get down there and support the lads.

https://twitter.com/WeRLFC/status/822550136308039680

Brilliant well done lads for arranging this. A chance to get Anfield bouncing.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 01:12:54 pm »
They get to play a day later but then they also have to play again on Saturday.

It's due to television, we get a lot of money from it but it also messes around with our schedule.

The FA Website has Hull playing Fulham at 12:30 on Sunday 29th, Manchester United play Wigan at 4pm also on Sunday 29th. Both teams get a reasonable rest.

I know the City game was televised and so it was a later kick off, however neither our subsequent game, or City's, was due to be televised but they couldn't be moved for some reason. Hull's game with Chelsea was moved for television, but the subsequent game v Man United is a semi final and was always going to be televised, yet it has been moved.

I understand we get money from it and are at their mercy at times, but I don't understand this particular situation is all I'm saying.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:15:20 pm by Kekule »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 01:18:38 pm »
I'm sure the United game was on the Saturday, but then again I checked that a few weeks back when someone else asked about why their semi-final was on the Thursday, so it might have changed since then. I know Hull and Southampton both play on the Sunday before the semis, so television wants those as well as both semis.

We still get a reasonable rest ourselves as we play our semi-final on the Wednesday.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »
I'm sure the United game was on the Saturday, but then again I checked that a few weeks back when someone else asked about why their semi-final was on the Thursday, so it might have changed since then. I know Hull and Southampton both play on the Sunday before the semis, so television wants those as well as both semis.

We still get a reasonable rest ourselves as we play our semi-final on the Wednesday.

Like you say it makes no difference to us, and I doubt the move will change the ultimate outcome of the other games.

It's just a bit odd.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:22:48 pm by Kekule »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »
Surely looking at Wolves as the opportunity to rotate and go strong for this and Chelsea.

Wish-list:-

- Lallana back in the midfield.
- Firmino central.
- Matip in defence.
- Sturridge in the lineup (either on the right of a three, or up top with Firmino in a diamond).
- Ojo on the bench as a direct/pace option.
- Tempo.
- Reduction in the number of hopeful crosses.
- Tempo.
- Tempo.
- Tempo.

Hopefully the crowd treat this as a European night and the place is rocking. Forget the fact that it's the league cup, we haven't won a trophy in almost five years, this is a huge opportunity to get that monkey off our backs and then push on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:25:47 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »
Why Karius ?

He's played the cup games so far this season, and done a pretty solid job of it I think. He needs game time and its a good opportunity to give it to him. I'd start Migs if it was a league game but I don't feel like there's enough difference to warrant dropping Karius for this cup game.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:40 pm »
Think we'll go with one of Sturridge or Origi in a front three with Coutinho and Firmino and move Lallana back into the middle; I'd be very surprised if we start with the same midfield as we did on Saturday considering how poorly it played.

If Clyne is still bothered by the injury he had then I'd hope we'd have no qualms in using Alexander-Arnold again rather than have injured players in the line-up.  Matip will be back, hopefully Karius has another strong game.

Still all to play for so I hope we raise the tempo and intensity and get back to Wembley.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 02:26:47 pm »
We're getting somewhere close to our best 11 from earlier in the season which can only help, but I want to see whoever is out on the pitch step up their intensity. We haven't looked fully at it for weeks and we need to show Southampton what it's like to come to Anfield in a semi-final under the lights.

I'm confident we can score to bring us level and I hope Matip's return shores up the leaky defence again.

The season is at a crossroads now, and getting to a final, probably against the Mancs too, will be a huge positive.

Blistering start, gegenpressing like we've never seen and an early goal leading to a humiliating rout for Southampton please.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »
I fucking hate seeing us like this, come on lads, head up high and let's change things. Let's get to the final and go on a rampage.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »
Early goal then break them down physically and mentally until we get the 2nd.

No mistakes at the back and we're through

Time for a confidence boost, boy do we all need it!

Up the reds
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
Klopp has said Henderson still is suffering with the heel issue like last season. Its in pain but he can cope apparentl.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »
Klopp has said Henderson still is suffering with the heel issue like last season. Its in pain but he can cope apparentl.

He doesn't seem anywhere near as hindered as he did last season (where he literally couldn't run), but still, that doesn't sound in any way promising.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:22 pm »
Makes sense as he's looked more like the Hendo of last season in the last two games. Much less spring in his step.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2017, 03:28:26 pm »
I hope that this heel injury doesn't cost a drop in form for Hendo like we saw last year.  He's been a very important player for us this year. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2017, 03:29:55 pm »
I hope that this heel injury doesn't cost a drop in form for Hendo like we saw last year.  He's been a very important player for us this year. 

I am not a physio but if we can manage it then we have an intense period now but after that it's back to one game a week.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2017, 03:33:42 pm »
I am not a physio but if we can manage it then we have an intense period now but after that it's back to one game a week.

The Chelsea game ends this hectic period of fixtures that we are in.  Hopefully we can manage it through the rest of the season and Hendo can have a summer off to rest. 

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:14 pm »
Just get to the final, I don't care how we play or by what result. By the time the final is played we'll have a full strength side so I'd really fancy our chances. Otherwise I don't know what would feel worse; getting to the semi-final and being knocked out by a side we would have expected to beat, or gift-wrapping the trophy for United.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2017, 05:35:07 pm »
We can all see it (no pun intended) - but Klopp doesn't seem to for some reason. Even the best managers have blind spots.

Can might be Klopp's 'Kuyt' ;D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2017, 05:53:50 pm »
I'd go a diamond too but because of the importance on the FB providing width in that formation i'd make changes at fullback, my team would be;

.............................Mignolet................................

Milner...........Matip..............Lovren.............Moreno

...........................Henderson................................

..........Lallana.............................Wijnaldum..........

...........................Coutinho.................................

.................Sturridge..........Firmino.....................

I've gone with Milner on the right and Moreno on the left because if we play with a diamond width from fullback will be vital and Milner playing on the left cuts inside too often. Against teams that sit deep and defend narrow both fullbacks have all of the space and are the out ball most of the time, I think Milner has potential to be a huge threat as a RB against teams that want to park the bus, from the left he is less effective because of his inclination to cut inside. You could play Clyne as left back if you wanted to be more conservative on that side, but Moreno is the only left footed fullback we have and when you have space in front of you, you want someone that can use it and go on the outside. So both fullbacks would start pretty high up the pitch and provide the width.

I really like the front 3 and Lallana in midfield just gives us more creativity there those front 3 players and Lallana would have a lot of flexibility in their movement.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2017, 06:09:40 pm »
I just really wanna see an energetic and lively performance, we are still working as hard as ever but we don't have that zip, that enthusiasm. If it means playing a few kids to add that then do it.

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:24 pm »
We will need to score 3 Sturridge must play on the right.
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »
Very confident of a big performance for this. I love a mideeek game. A whole week between games always feels too long!

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:47 pm »
Just get to the final, I don't care how we play or by what result. By the time the final is played we'll have a full strength side so I'd really fancy our chances. Otherwise I don't know what would feel worse; getting to the semi-final and being knocked out by a side we would have expected to beat, or gift-wrapping the trophy for United.

If they beat us over two legs they have every chance of beating a team worse than us over one, but let's just try getting there ourselves anyway..
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:14 pm »
Surely looking at Wolves as the opportunity to rotate and go strong for this and Chelsea.

Wish-list:-

- Lallana back in the midfield.
- Firmino central.
- Matip in defence.
- Sturridge in the lineup (either on the right of a three, or up top with Firmino in a diamond).
- Ojo on the bench as a direct/pace option.
- Tempo.
- Reduction in the number of hopeful crosses.
- Tempo.
- Tempo.
- Tempo.

Hopefully the crowd treat this as a European night and the place is rocking. Forget the fact that it's the league cup, we haven't won a trophy in almost five years, this is a huge opportunity to get that monkey off our backs and then push on.

Wolves are on the up, I'd play a strong team for all 3, get the first team on a roll , we need 3 straight wins to get this season back on track
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »
Wolves are on the up, I'd play a strong team for all 3, get the first team on a roll , we need 3 straight wins to get this season back on track

We've watched the squad get fatigued over a fixture congested period, performance levels drop, points are lost and the answer to 3 games in less than a week isn't to play the same players 3 times

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »
Hands up who went the last league cup semi v them in 87?  god i feel old, im sure spackman scored 1 of the goals at anfield 3-0? 
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2017, 07:19:07 pm »
Matip and Sturridge in please.

If things aren't working then make changes at half time. Don't leave it late.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »
Hands up who went the last league cup semi v them in 87?  god i feel old, im sure spackman scored 1 of the goals at anfield 3-0? 

McMahon got one didn't he? I remember my brother being allowed to stay up to watch the highlights (Sportsnight?!), and telling me the next day. I wasn't allowed. :(

Edit - Whelan,  Dalglish and Molby,  you and him are lying bastards. :wanker
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:24:56 pm by Crosby Stills and Nick »