Author Topic: FT Man United 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner p 27'; Ibrahimovic 84')  (Read 65172 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: FT Man United 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner p 27'; Ibrahimovic 84')
« Reply #1080 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:15 am »
That's what I thought. I was wondering what calculation he used because my calculation didn't actually prove daming for utd. Perhaps I worked it out wrong

I posted it as I was getting off the train so was all a bit rushed so no great working behind.  My thoughts were that given we play so many more passes per game than them, is it really such a surprise that we play a (very) few more long passes in amongst that 60 extra?

The stat has been doing the rounds, presumably to try and discredit Klopp and his long ball comments.  To my mind it's just highlighted they play a greater percentage of long balls.

That said I haven't really done the research to back that up so I could well be talking bollocks again. :D

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #1081 on: January 18, 2017, 02:52:42 am »
Klopp to BBC Sport:
"In the end period of the game when United started playing long balls to
Marouane Fellaini and Zlatan Ibrahimovic after 80 minutes of high
intense football, IT IS REALLY HARD. They play long balls, it was a wild game..."

------------------------------------
~ Jurgen Klopp ~

** I believe our manager will find a way, and he certainly will solve it as he seemed really really stressing it out after the game.
There must be some antidotes out there to counteract this sick fuckin long balls isnt it?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:54:47 am by NarutoReds »
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1082 on: January 18, 2017, 04:44:44 am »
Klopp to BBC Sport:
"In the end period of the game when United started playing long balls to
Marouane Fellaini and Zlatan Ibrahimovic after 80 minutes of high
intense football, IT IS REALLY HARD. They play long balls, it was a wild game..."

------------------------------------
~ Jurgen Klopp ~

** I believe our manager will find a way, and he certainly will solve it as he seemed really really stressing it out after the game.
There must be some antidotes out there to counteract this sick fuckin long balls isnt it?

There is an antidote, it's called killing the game off and not allowing inferior opposition to adopt that tactic late on to try and nick an equaliser.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: January 18, 2017, 04:51:18 am »
Statistics on the Premier League's official website show that Klopp's men have played 1,417 long balls to 1,346 for Mourinho's this season. That equates to 3.38 more per game.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ng-balls-than-manchester-united-a7529551.html

:o

Long balls are defined there purely in terms of distance. It makes no difference between a hoof to a target man and a measured 40 metre through ball. At least, that's as far as I'm aware of how those long ball stats are calculated.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1084 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:49 am »
:o Oh yes it was offside! Not only that, but the original throw-in from Valencia was a foul throw. Even before the pass back up the line to Valencia, who was clearly in an off-side position after taking the throw-in, I was screaming "Foul throw!" at the TV. How is it that professional footballers earning thousands of pounds a week are not capable of taking a proper throw-in?!!? Didn't anyone else notice this, only the subsequent off-side? In either case, surely we are entitled to expect the officials to properly officiate the game?!!?

Yes. I called it a foul throw at the time.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:27 am »
Long balls are defined there purely in terms of distance. It makes no difference between a hoof to a target man and a measured 40 metre through ball. At least, that's as far as I'm aware of how those long ball stats are calculated.

We have played 1412 long balls from 12586 total passes this season (11.2% of our passes are long balls). Man Utd have played 1346 out of 11350 passes this season (11.9%). As a proportion, they indisputably play more but not by much overall.

Klopp was referring to what happened against us in the last half hour, for which they did play a lot of long passes, more so than usual.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1086 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:00 am »
There is an antidote, it's called killing the game off and not allowing inferior opposition to adopt that tactic late on to try and nick an equaliser.

Couldn't agree more. We dropped off and tried to play on the counter - which is fine as an idea - but this team doesn't seem great at either a) shelling or b) counter attacking so it wasn't playing to our strengths. We played much better after they equalised!
Long balls can always be criticised because its not aesthetic but not only was it the right thing for them to do given the pattern of the game (they weren't creating anything) ; it also worked so its pretty hard to find fault with it

Offline orn-free-tada

• ...free as a ird...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1087 on: January 18, 2017, 11:46:33 am »
I know it's nothing too important, but there was a chant going to the tune of ' This Girl' by Kungs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Nne8RvaA     the instrumental / trumpet bit)

Was it the man U fans or Liverpool fans doing this? I couldn't tell from the stream I had ...

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1088 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:48 am »
I know it's nothing too important, but there was a chant going to the tune of ' This Girl' by Kungs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Nne8RvaA     the instrumental / trumpet bit)

Was it the man U fans or Liverpool fans doing this? I couldn't tell from the stream I had ...

Gini Wijnaldum song.

Offline orn-free-tada

• ...free as a ird...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1089 on: January 18, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »
^^

Very catchy. Could be mistaken, but I don't remember anyone other team having a chant to this tune.... ( Glad it's ours ;) )

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1090 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of the goal we conceeded - usually people are all over our mistakes on here :)
Not sure Rooney should get his dinked cross in that easily and Fellanis header is totally free in the six yard box - shouldn't klavan be challenging once lovren has pulled across or has he got two men? Also I haven't watched it back properly but isn't Mignolet doing his rooted to the line thing as the ball comes across?
I'm open to it being nobodies fault but it all seemed very easy / uncontested for them
The goal's largely down to late reactions to be honest. Milner isn't close enough to the touchline initially, which means he struggles to recover to block the first cross (even though Valencia is offside) and Trent should delay Rooney and then show him inside to Lallana but after that it's pretty much entirely about players not reacting quickly enough. Klavan should get across to Fellaini much quicker than he does, Wijnaldum reacts to the loose ball much later than Valencia and Milner should be getting out to Ibrahimovic before the ball is played. That's players not being alert enough.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:51 pm »
It was a foul throw too from Valencia  too

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1092 on: January 18, 2017, 11:19:42 pm »
Game was last Sunday lads