Author Topic: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience  (Read 214104 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:20 pm »
Where is it reported he had pain killing injection ?

According to Pearce played with pain killing injections!

Tough cookie.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:20 pm »
Probably, in fact, definetly, his worst game for us. Reports of playing through injury and that, may or may not be true, but regardless, he was shockingly bad. Though not to detract or make excuses for him, but who did have a good 90 minutes yesterday.

There are those in this team who are due, even allowed a bad game and he is one of them, though as sad as it is - those who can be afforded and those who have delivered far too may poor performances, all chose to do so on the same day.

Onwards and upwards

I agree. Usually if one player has an off day, everyone else can compensate. Days like yesterday when almost everyone has a stinker, lead to results like we got.

I'm more concerned that he was selected despite having pain injections. Even if Jürgen believed he could play through, by half time it was clear he was struggling and TAA should have been available knowing this to be a possibility. Lots of cock-ups resulted in yesterday's mess.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: January 22, 2017, 02:28:40 pm »
Saw Clyney is the highest chance creating fullback in the PL I think, near Rose, well above Milner.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: April 5, 2017, 10:44:56 pm »
Been saying it for a while now but I don't think Clyne is good enough for a team like ours.

He's weak on the ball, slow to get forward, barely takes a man on. When you're facing parked buses you need to stretch teams, currently neither of our fullbacks really do that. Neither of them have much pace.

He's a solid midtable fullback, but he lacks the extra bit you need to be at a top team. For me, the first 2 signings I make in the summer are 2 fullbacks
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: April 5, 2017, 10:45:40 pm »
Been saying it for a while now but I don't think Clyne is good enough for a team like ours.

He's weak on the ball, slow to get forward, barely takes a man on. When you're facing parked buses you need to stretch teams, currently neither of our fullbacks really do that. Neither of them have much pace.

He's a solid midtable fullback, but he lacks the extra bit you need to be at a top team. For me, the first 2 signings I make in the summer are 2 fullbacks

Really? So what about centre back and up front?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: April 5, 2017, 10:47:45 pm »
Really? So what about centre back and up front?

I'd sign another CB and striker as well, but I think 2 fullbacks who can get forward would be huge in those games against the shite where we need to stretch it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: April 5, 2017, 10:49:49 pm »

Be different if he was rock solid defensively but I'm not even convinced he's that. He's fortunate in that we have so many other positions that need urgent attention and we don't have unlimited funds, but he'll need to be looking over his shoulder soon. He could get away with it for a lot of teams but you can't be as poor as he is on the ball and going forward in a team like ours. Replacing him and Milner with quality attacking full backs makes a big difference to our team, in my opinion.

Then again, so does adding a competent GK, CB, winger, striker...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #487 on: April 5, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
I'd sign another CB and striker as well, but I think 2 fullbacks who can get forward would be huge in those games against the shite where we need to stretch it

I think a top left back and centre back are essential, replacing Clyne isn't a priority but a top LB who can get forward and defend, unlike Moreno, would be a great addition.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #488 on: April 5, 2017, 10:51:48 pm »
I'm not a fan. Says something when I'm wishing for Martin Kelly back, let alone the days of arbeloa or finnan.

However, if boruc hadn't made that save i wouldn't be posting now...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: April 5, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »

We need to address the spine of the team first. Thats where the crucial mistakes are happening. We should put every penny of resource we have into getting the very best centre back and striker we can. Then address the other positions.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: April 5, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
That shot by him was ace.

He's solid defensively.

He gets forward, he keeps the ball.  Provides the odd assist during the season.

One of our best players and the least of our problems.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #491 on: April 5, 2017, 11:09:55 pm »

Agree. He should be a back up not a starter.
Although we are a very attacking team 9 fullbacks got more assists than him. 18 fullbacks got more goals than him. Not good enough..

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: April 5, 2017, 11:15:31 pm »
Agree. He should be a back up not a starter.
Although we are a very attacking team 9 fullbacks got more assists than him. 18 fullbacks got more goals than him. Not good enough..

Full backs should not be judged on their goals or assists.

They need to offer width in an attacking way, but to expect them to be a regular source of goals - I don't think is realistic.  Ashley Cole wouldn't get hardly any goals or assists, I'm sure people would love to have a clone of him at left back for us though.

Clyne does his main roles - defends well, offers great energy to press and get forward.  He can contribute going forwards. 

Our attack is actually fine.  Two goals should be fine to beat Bournemouth.  By once again this season, the defending has let us down - and that was not down to Clyne.

People pointing fingers at the wrong person again.  Blame Klavan or Wijnaldum for tonight, not Clyne who was one of our better players. 

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: April 5, 2017, 11:27:45 pm »

They need to offer width in an attacking way...

Clyne does his main roles - defends well, offers great energy to press and get forward.  He can contribute going forwards. 

But Clyne doesn't really do that. The opposition are 99% of the time completely content to let him have the ball, because they know he isn't going to do anything with it. He's making up the numbers in that he's a passing option, but it's an utterly redundant one. Given that we play teams who like to pack the middle of the pitch and sit deep to frustrate, we need our wide players (including full backs) to not just "maintain width" by being a warm body to pass to out wide before they end up passing it back into the middle anyway, we need them to actually make threatening runs and offer end product at the end of it.

If Clyne does attack space or get down the side, the end result is usually him twatting it towards the direction of the goal but with no real attempt to spot a run or pick anyone out, or an aimless cross that sails over everyone's heads.

You only need to watch how Monaco utterly dismantled City in the CL to see the value of genuinely good attacking fullbacks. Monaco cut them to absolute ribbons, and most of their best moves came from the full backs.

We need more from there.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #494 on: April 5, 2017, 11:32:53 pm »
Clyne one of our best players what an odd post

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #495 on: April 5, 2017, 11:33:54 pm »
We're playing "lesser" teams from now until the end of the season anyway. Our first eleven have proved time and time again that for whatever reason, they're not necessarily of the level required to beat these teams.

I'd give TAA a run out for a few matches from this point on. Our defense is nothing to boast about so he can't really make the defense any worse than it already is, and I'm almost certain he'll make more of an impact offensively.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: April 5, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »

I thought so too!

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #497 on: April 5, 2017, 11:52:41 pm »
Personally, I expect more from both him and Milner.

In our system, they see loads of the ball and do little with it.

I thought first half, he added little value then he whacked the bar in the second half and soon after eventually went on the outside and whipped in a delicious ball.

That was it.

One truly telling ball in 90 minutes against Bournemouth at Anfield with Origi leading the line.

It was one more than Milner put in, mind.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2017, 11:56:17 pm by Johnnyboy1973 »
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #498 on: April 6, 2017, 12:22:06 am »

Whats really odd is that a fullback who cant cross and panic every time he gets into a good position in the final third and his end product is worse than most of the fullbacks in this league is considered one our best players..

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #499 on: April 6, 2017, 12:26:05 am »
Fullbacks are a waste of time. Unless you have Dani Alves there's no point to them at all.

The best position for Clyne where he can only do positive things for us is a right outside CB in a back 3. For a team that is as attacking as ours is it'd be better if the width in the final third was provided by a winger who can take people on thus creating space elsewhere.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #500 on: April 6, 2017, 12:26:34 am »
Whats really odd is that a fullback who cant cross and panic every time he gets into a good position in the final third and his end product is worse than most of the fullbacks in this league is considered one our best players..

Are you describing Milner or Clyne?

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
The Nathaniel Clyne Experience
« Reply #501 on: April 6, 2017, 12:30:47 am »
Are you describing Milner or Clyne?

Clyne. Milner played most of his career as a midfielder its unfair to compare him to other fullbacks..
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 12:54:22 am by kingz »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #502 on: April 6, 2017, 01:06:32 am »
RB is the least of issues.

Sign a good LB (who can attack and defend) and there's a good balance at fullback on both sides:

Clyne  ----------- New LB
Trent ------------ Milner

That would mean Clyne at RB and Milner on the bench covering both RB/LB, and with Trent getting cup games, which is an ideal mix of experience, versatility, and youth (obviously assuming the new LB is decent).

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #503 on: April 6, 2017, 01:13:59 am »
I think he's okay and probably good enough for a top 4 team. Never a star and if he's one of our best players (as some people above mentioned) then we'll never win anything.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: April 6, 2017, 01:38:29 am »
He's obviously not a bad player, but should be a squad player and not a guaranteed starter in the ideal world. I think in the transfer market we have bigger fish to fry than finding his replacement, but if a suitable RB does pop up, then great.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #505 on: April 6, 2017, 05:49:44 am »
Both our wingbacks are poor and can be upgraded. What makes it worse is that they see so much of the ball in matches against the lower teams that concentrate on clogging the middle.

Clyne is slightly better than Milner, but he should be upgraded on too.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #506 on: April 6, 2017, 06:53:28 am »
he's grand, rightback is like 8th on the list of priorities. even just among the defensive unit, a goalkeeper, left-back and centre-back are more in need of investment. TAA looks primed to provide competition for that spot too.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 06:58:18 am by BER »

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: April 6, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
The one time he didn't cut inside, he put a great ball across. He checks back far too much. Take the man on lad. He sold himself too many times last night and they played around him.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: April 6, 2017, 08:33:17 am »

They need to offer width in an attacking way, but to expect them to be a regular source of goals - I don't think is realistic.  Ashley Cole wouldn't get hardly any goals or assists, I'm sure people would love to have a clone of him at left back for us though.

Our attack is actually fine.  Two goals should be fine to beat Bournemouth.  By once again this season, the defending has let us down - and that was not down to Clyne.

People pointing fingers at the wrong person again.  Blame Klavan or Wijnaldum for tonight, not Clyne who was one of our better players. 
Blame whoever left Harry Arter unmarked to get the shot off.

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #509 on: April 6, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
Our issue is keeping clean sheets, not scoring goals, yet a decent defensive minded fullback like Clyne is now an issue? Seems bizarre to me. Sort out a decent goalkeeper & a parner for Matip and maybe then we can nitpick about our RB not being Dani Alves, until then he's the least of our worries.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: April 6, 2017, 01:36:57 pm »
Right back shouldn't even be considered in the summer far more important areas need addressing.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: April 6, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
The one time he didn't cut inside, he put a great ball across. He checks back far too much. Take the man on lad. He sold himself too many times last night and they played around him.

He's probably the quickest player in our team, yet he never takes anyone on down the outside. It's so frustrating watching him pass it square when he could literally just kick it down the line and outpace his marker 9 times from 10

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: April 6, 2017, 01:43:00 pm »
He's probably the quickest player in our team, yet he never takes anyone on down the outside. It's so frustrating watching him pass it square when he could literally just kick it down the line and outpace his marker 9 times from 10

....and then do what?

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: April 6, 2017, 01:43:00 pm »
Right back shouldn't even be considered in the summer far more important areas need addressing.

Is absolutely correct.

Utter nonsense being spouted in this thread.

We have weaknesses at Goalkeeper, Centre Half, arguably Left Back, arguably Centre Midfield and upfront, from a pace/speed and ruthlessness perspective.

To criticise probably the best defensive RB in the league, and to assign more than a footnote of blame to him for our attacking play (TOP league scorers), is nothing but confirmation that you're a fucking idiot.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: April 6, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »
....and then do what?

Cutback to one of our million attacking midfielders

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: April 6, 2017, 01:48:35 pm »
....and then do what?

He has had success doing it a few times this season it's far more dangerous than pulling it back and playing safe for the sake of recycling the ball.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: April 6, 2017, 01:49:56 pm »
....and then do what?
Nothing. He should carry on going sideways and allow the opponents to get organised.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: April 6, 2017, 01:50:49 pm »
He did it once and put a peach of a ball on that Origi only just missed.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: April 6, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
Cutback to one of our million attacking midfielders

That sounds easy. A full back asked to attack and get past a defender facing him and then cut back to a packed defence in the box? Or cross it against big  defenders.

Maybe our manager wants him to be part of a slower build up and not resort to crossing against packed defences? He has actually created more chances than Kyle Walker.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: April 6, 2017, 01:56:47 pm »
Nothing. He should carry on going sideways and allow the opponents to get organised.

We have scored plenty of goals. He is defensively pretty solid as well. Our issues are elsewhere and we need to spend every single penny we have addressing the keeper and centre back situation. After that we have major depth issues in attack and midfield. We also don't have a good natural left back.

Address those issues first. Then spend your time worrying about a player who is the very least of our problems.