Author Topic: Rugby Union or League Debate  (Read 7602 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rugby Union or League Debate
« Reply #80 on: March 5, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »
No, it just means that most players require and have a higher and more complete skill set.
Then how come the vast majority of them can't play Union?

Offline r3dman1

• Main Stander
« Reply #81 on: March 5, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »
Watch them both and enjoy both. Although i tend to lean towards Union over League.

Dont understand how people can not like one or the other personally. Both very similar when it comes down to it.

A prop in union doesnt need to have good hands to be useful.  Just has to win the battle in the scrum, lift in a lineout and ruck/maul his heart out.

Matt Dunning(Prop) playing for New South Wales in Super 12 at the time kicks a drop goal from about 30 metres out in the last game of the season to secure the lead. Problem was NSW needed 4 tries for the bonus point to make the finals  :butt Funniest and yet sadest momment in RU i have witnesses..

Well that just proves how stupid props are really  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvMKkC1kjA&feature=related

His reaction is priceless.... Same prop who got destory in the scrum by England and every other team a couple of years ago...

Anyway, I think IRB should introduce the rules Tri-Nations use for all International Rugby, much more flowing game and more exciting to watch and i believe you would see more League people enjoying the game...

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 5, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »
Rugby League or Union???????

Football :)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: March 5, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »
Rugby League or Union???????

Football :)
Mate-are you still in the cupboard trying to buy Sunderland tickets

;)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 5, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
Another interesting one is why do you never hear of Union players moving to League? Whereas there have been quite a few going the other way. It's seems the best League players eg Robinson decide to move to Union. They must see something that Union players don't see in League?

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 6, 2010, 12:10:49 am »
Another interesting one is why do you never hear of Union players moving to League? Whereas there have been quite a few going the other way. It's seems the best League players eg Robinson decide to move to Union. They must see something that Union players don't see in League?

They sure do.  It's called money. :wave
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 6, 2010, 07:33:49 am »
I get your point although I think its wrong to say the best league players move to union.
They sure do.  It's called money. :wave
In some cases thats true but on the whole players get more recognition for their work in union than they do in league (outside Australia)which is an other incentive to switch codes.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #87 on: March 6, 2010, 10:16:41 am »
The movement of players used to be from union to league until union went professional, now there is less incentive to move.

Alfie Thomas has just switched to league and I think some Aussies and NZ'ers have gone from union to league recently, or switched to union then gone back.

There's plenty of lads around here who play union but watch league. Union's a bit easier, not many places to hide if there's only 13 of you on the pitch
Legacy fan

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #88 on: March 6, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »
A good reason for players switching from league to union is the scope of trohpies and honours available.  If your a RL player who has won the Challenge Cup and SUper League on a few occasions, and possibly even the World Club Challenge (one off fixture between winners of Super League and winners of the NRL in Aus) then theres not much else to do.  The international scene is pretty much non existent, so as a player the pull of international/Lions and then the Heineken would be other things to win, not to forget the domestic stuff as well.

But the past 5-10 years I think a lot of it has to do with money as well.  Since turning pro there's been quite a bit of money floating around for one off signings in union.  Interesting to see Gareth Thomas switch to RL this past week though.  Any thoughts?  Part of me cant help thinking that the fact he has "come out" it has possibly damaged his relationship with Cardiff etc.  Hope not cos he is a top player and would hate to think that its a factor in him moving codes.  But then again I wont mind watching him play RL anyway ;)

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: March 6, 2010, 12:20:40 pm »

You know as well as I do that the rules are massively more complex in RU.  Take a forward for example, in RL they have to run tackle and make sure they dont pass the ball forward of knock on.  Obviously there are general rules but for them personally that's about it.  Making that switch to union, involving contested scrums lineouts and then rucks an mauls there are a ridiculous number of rules to learn and most players cant adapt, as I think they are like fans and are "stuck in their ways". 

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: March 6, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »
I enjoy watching both but one thing I can't understand is how much shakier a lot of league players seem under the high ball. Seem to be a lot of spills and tries scored from kicks in league. I know the cross kick has been used more and more in union but it doesn't seem to have the same degree of success to the attacking side.

Sorry Im flooding the thread with a load of random posts, not been able to read for a while!  Theres one reason why RL players seem shakier under the ball, and thats if they do catch it then they are gna get smashed!  There are very little high balls in RU in your opponents half, because if its past the 22 then they can just shout mark...so its rarely used as its just giving the ball away, but in RL a high bomb can be put up close to the try line and then the player has to catch it and run it out, so that has to be a factor. 

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2010, 08:33:53 am »
I think it's safe to say that the England v Scotland game kind of sums Union up for me. No tries, says it all, crock of shite and it's the Internationals "where it's at".
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:24 am »
I think it's safe to say that the England v Scotland game kind of sums Union up for me. No tries, says it all, crock of shite and it's the Internationals "where it's at".
Still I'd like to see 55,000 (or whatever) fans at an england/Scotland RL game :lmao

They must be doing something right if there are sell outs every game. Even for the Italin games where the Irish/Welsh/French/English fans know that it won't be much of a contest.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:03:09 am by weebroalan »

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2010, 08:59:38 am »
I like to watch League at club level and Union at international.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:57 am »
Still I'd like to see 55,000 (or whatever) fans at an england/Scotland RL game :lmao

They must be doing something right if there are sell outs every game. Even for the Italin games where the Irish/Welsh/French/English fans know that it won't be much of a contest.
#

Personally, I go to watch a game of rugby, not the crowd.

Every man and his dog knows that people go to Union Internationals because it's the "place to be seen" and the social side of it. They certainly can't be going to watch the rugby, which is the raison d'être. It was quite interesting listening to the comments of some of the people stood around us on Sat night in Walkabout when the RL and Union were on screens side by side.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

Look, that's like watching Bolton Vs Blackburn as the best footy can offer. Two dull teams coached by forwards.
There were plenty of tries in France vs Italy and Ireland Vs Wales.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2010, 11:23:03 am »
Jimmy v Timmy wasn't so much a rugby match as it was a comedy sketch.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:53 am »

England v Italy isn't much of a draw. Rugby clubs can order what they want for that, they don't get a restricted allocation. The rest get sold on Ticketmaster.

There were empty seats in the Stade de France for the France v Italy game as well, and Murrayfield isn't always full.

Like Keithcun says it's the event that draws a lot of people, not the game. When I've been to Twickenham it's surprising the number of people who don't bother watching much of the game, they just go to and from the bars. If it's a dull match they don't bother coming back after half time.
Legacy fan

Offline red-dragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »
Wales, Sale and Perpignan for union and Catalan Dragons for league is who I follow. Used to watch a lot more live as a kid, my dad played union so would watch Ruthin and would do the internationals (mainly in Cardiff but have been to Paris) and would be at Widnes on New Years Day every year. Watch more union live at the moment (Sale, mainly when they have been down this way) but with the Celtic Crusaders playing at Wrexham and us moving back up that way soon, I may start going to watch some more league.

Love 'em both

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2010, 02:37:50 pm »
Rugby League is like sooo working class.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:56 pm »
good argument between stuart barnes and stevo!

http://bcove.me/8w4nre59

;)

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:19 pm »
League, all day everyday.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2011, 05:55:25 pm »
Cheers for that stmichael, enjoyed it, thought this thread was forever buried :S

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
Mungo ball is still played and supported by stupid people ;)

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »
League for club level, Union for internationals. Always prefered league though being a northerner ;)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #105 on: March 8, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »
Just bumping the topic which my thoughts on the subject
I like both codes of Rugby, noticed in the last few years Union has started to use the League tactics of the chip kick into the In Goal area when the team in possession is in there opponents 22. The big bugbear i have with Union is the players just kicking the ball away sometimes aimlessly down field, i'd also reduce the points From successful Penalty & Drop Goals from 3 to 2 points. When you get 2 evenly matched teams in either code the games can be good & close, but the mismatches are normally when one team is well stronger then the other team.

I like club games at RL & Internationals at RU, now i'm finding there's good club games in RU especially in the Heineken Cup.
#Sausages

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 9, 2012, 07:40:25 am »
There were more tries after the final hooter in the Saints v Catalan League game than there were in the whole 80 mins of the England v Wales Union international. Says it all for me, Union is just plain boring.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #107 on: March 9, 2012, 08:33:15 am »
Not this again!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #108 on: March 9, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »
Just bumping the topic which my thoughts on the subject
I like both codes of Rugby, noticed in the last few years Union has started to use the League tactics of the chip kick into the In Goal area when the team in possession is in there opponents 22. The big bugbear i have with Union is the players just kicking the ball away sometimes aimlessly down field, i'd also reduce the points From successful Penalty & Drop Goals from 3 to 2 points. When you get 2 evenly matched teams in either code the games can be good & close, but the mismatches are normally when one team is well stronger then the other team.

I like club games at RL & Internationals at RU, now i'm finding there's good club games in RU especially in the Heineken Cup.

the heineken cup is the dogs bollocks mate. absolutely love the competition, even though it favours the irish and french sides at the moment imo. last years final was as good a game of rugby as i've seen at any level, in either code, for quite some time.

i'm a union man but i like watching league aswell. the two games are fundamentally different though and appeal to different kinds of fan. union is more for the purists as there are a lot more technical aspects to the game and a lot more rules to learn. league is just more non stop action as there's not as much set piece and it's not possible to slow the game down legally.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #109 on: March 9, 2012, 12:35:13 pm »
Union seems to be going backwards these days, the Six Nations has been pretty dire so far. The Super 15 is good to watch.

Saints v Catalans the other week was a great game of RL, great advert for the game.
Legacy fan

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #110 on: March 9, 2012, 12:41:39 pm »
Union trumps League.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 9, 2012, 01:06:50 pm »
personally think union is better
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #112 on: March 9, 2012, 01:53:06 pm »
There were more tries after the final hooter in the Saints v Catalan League game than there were in the whole 80 mins of the England v Wales Union international. Says it all for me, Union is just plain boring.
Keith mate.I watched the last union world cup final that England played in.This is the biggest game in that code,I'm never getting that 80 minute's back,am I?

As a sporting spectacle it's awful.A lack of try's,kicking the ball away when you're in possession too many player's on the pitch I've come to realise it's like a tug of war the bigger the team,the more chance of winning.Where's the skill.

Obviously I'm a huge Rugby League fan.But you kinda guessed that,eh.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 9, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »
I can't bring myself to watch League any more. Just find it really boring with the same thing happening all the time.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #114 on: March 9, 2012, 03:20:51 pm »
I'm a Union traditionalist and have never had much exposure to the League game.

However, whilst I've been in Australia the NRL's been on the telly almost every day, and when it's good it's an absolutely glorious sport to watch.

I'm loathe to use a cricket analogy but Union feels more like a Test match and League feels more like a T20. I hope someone will understand what I mean by that.

Am looking forward to getting into my League a little more, but have literally zero knowledge about it, apart from the basic rules.

Hard to avoid, especially when you're in Sydney, and you're right the quality of it there is superb and I always found it very entertaining.

I like both codes. Probably more of a Union watcher, certainly at international level but appreciate both games for what they are, don't see the point in sniping about one or the other.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #115 on: March 9, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »
I'm a Union man, but my god the quality of the european game at club level (and to a certain extent) in recent years has been shocking.

Kick, phase, phase, phase, maul, hands in the ruck, kick at goal, kick off, catch, ruck, ruck, knock-on, scrum 1st attempt, scrum 2nd attempt, scrum 3rd attempt, scrum 4th attempt, PENALTY! not binding, collapsing, Kick to goal, 3 points....

Pretty much how a lot of the rugby goes these days. Not near as much flair as there used to be, over cautious, inconsistent reffing, all seater stadiums, up and down crowds. Dwindling interest in the leagues, and best players wrapped up for the heineken and internationals. A review needs to be done as it's killing the game. However, autumn internationals, the 6 nations and Lions are in my blood and i absolutely bloody love them.

With league, my exposure was in drips and drabs, but after my time in Australia i can call myself a plastic Rabbitohs fan. It's a great sport when played well. But so can union, the super 14 proves that. They play some great stuff down there.

Go Bunnies!

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 9, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
Hard to avoid, especially when you're in Sydney, and you're right the quality of it there is superb and I always found it very entertaining.

I like both codes. Probably more of a Union watcher, certainly at international level but appreciate both games for what they are, don't see the point in sniping about one or the other.

Agree with every word. I always liked league but never appreciated it fully until I lived in Australia.

I'm still a union man and a match goer and I love it, but can't people just appreciate both sports for what they are? Great sports played by great athletes.

Offline himynameisntmark

• itsalgernonmuckbucketjuniorthethird
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
I can't bring myself to watch League any more. Just find it really boring with the same thing happening all the time.

Yeah, its not as exciting as union....kick kick kick kick kick kick

Offline JoburgRed

• Anny Roader
  • Red forever
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2012, 02:05:08 pm »
Was at the varsity match the other night....first time watching a RL game live...I'm a big union fan.  Was a bit bored (game was one sided to be fair)

I can appreciate the skills in a RL match (tackling, passing, backline moves) - v. impressive, however I will say I miss the 'epicness' of a good union international.  It was kinda watching a T20 vs. a test match...but that was just to me anyway
It's Gerrrraaaaaaarddddddddd......You beautyyyyy!

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »
I don't mind either but only in small doeses

I like union for internationals. I thought the World cup was excellent.

Haven't really watched league for awhile but as a Northerner I'm a league man by birth I guess.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.